Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Dropped valve!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 04:04 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MTIRC6Z
I've got the stock oil cooler, tank and all stock lines sitting on a shelf unused if you have any need.

Cheers, Paul.
If the modification plan I have in mind backfires, I'll be in touch (details coming in PM)
Old 05-26-2014, 04:18 PM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bebezote
Thank you Paul !!!

is it even worth asking the difference in solid SS valves vs hollow?

i'll just keep following this thread.. thanks again

be well!!
You're welcome.

Keep in mind if you listen to a guy like Quick, he is the same guy who told me my opinion on this matter didn't count because I was an "outsider" (I'm from Canada) You see apparently in Quick's mind IF you are NOT American what you have to say about the whole valve issue is not relevant because only Americans have (in Quick's exact words) "the ingrained instinct of protecting oneself against calamity"

If you're interested in obtaining more insight about our benevolent friend I'd be happy to provide you with the exact references where he reveals his true self since I imagine you don't have enough time to sift through all 27,000 of his postings. Feel free to PM me

Cheers, Paul.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:23 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bebezote
[...] is it even worth asking the difference in solid SS valves vs hollow? [...]
Not on this forum
Old 05-26-2014, 04:33 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

FIRST and foremost, do NOT "fix" it IF it ain't broke!!!

Check your heads for guide wear first, if they ain't worn don't do a damn thing. There have been many LS7s which have gone over 150,000 miles with NO issues, yours could be one capable of such a thing and if it is you'd be a fool to mess with it.

IF your guides are worn AND you decide for whatever reason to go with heavy a$$ed SS valves, you will NOT have a problem related to the heavier valves IF you stay away from the LS7's original design for a 7000 rpm redline.

Cheers, Paul.
AND ...... there is no proof that you will have a problem at 7K rpm either. Many of us do just that

DH
Old 05-26-2014, 04:35 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Well SS valves in Madsen's worn guides lasted 10,000 miles, the OEM valves in your original engine lasted 88,000 miles. So the BIG question is for how many miles of your 88,000 were the guides shot? If it was less than 10,000 then the SS valves are stronger, if it was more than 10,000 then I'd say the SS valves aren't stronger.

Point is either way, IF you have worn guides NO valve is going to survive, IF you don't have worn guides either valve will survive. The difference is, SS valves will cause valvetrain instability at 7000 rpm while the OEM valve will not.

Of course if one's grasp of physics is such that they believe valvetrain instability to be inconsequential, then the SS valve could be considered the logical choice

Cheers, Paul.
Are you saying the SS valves are not stronger ??????

DH
Old 05-26-2014, 04:42 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mark2009
Ah, I now understand the distinction. If I do what I am told (divulge the personal information) you won't attack me, and you wouldn't condone others doing it either.

But if I refuse to do what I'm told, then all bets are off.

Thanks for the clarification!
Mark

I am not attacking you. In fact I have clearly been imploring you to get them fixed.

I am not telling you what to do by giving you advise any more than you are telling the membership what to do everytime you offer up an opinion.

I would offer you to tell me in private by PM but obviously by my actions or inactions members would be able to deduce what you told me.

Your advise to check guides is a good one that I whole heartidly support. And if done correctly is very accurate. See recent report by Hib Halverson:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-accuracy.html

DH
Old 05-26-2014, 05:07 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Mark, I am not attacking you.
Actually you have, but that is beside the point (intellectual honesty is a rare commodity in these threads).

In fact I have clearly been imploring you to get them fixed. [...]
Now we're on point. Your -- and certain other's -- interest in my personal life is a little creepy.

I am not telling you what to do by giving you advise any more than you are telling the membership what to do everytime you offer up an opinion.
Offering an opinion is not "telling the membership what to do". It is rather bizarre that you would even suggest such a thing. Commanding others to reveal personal info, as you and certain others continue to do, is -- as I noted above -- a little creepy. Using that personal info against them or to harass them, be it car ownership status, car warranty status, valve guide status, or even citizenship status, is a good reason for people to refuse to share that info.

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie, replying to MTIRC6Z
AND ...... there is no proof that you will have a problem at 7K rpm either. [...]
And I was just mentioning intellectual honesty? Wow. Just wow. LS7 Valvetrain Dynamics testing

Last edited by Mark2009; 05-26-2014 at 05:13 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:14 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

You're welcome.

Keep in mind if you listen to a guy like Quick, he is the same guy who told me my opinion on this matter didn't count because I was an "outsider" (I'm from Canada) You see apparently in Quick's mind IF you are NOT American what you have to say about the whole valve issue is not relevant because only Americans have (in Quick's exact words) "the ingrained instinct of protecting oneself against calamity"

If you're interested in obtaining more insight about our benevolent friend I'd be happy to provide you with the exact references where he reveals his true self since I imagine you don't have enough time to sift through all 27,000 of his postings. Feel free to PM me

Cheers, Paul.
Point to where I stated that your "opinion didn't count".

However; the best opinion on this matter is going to come from a professional as opposed to any amateur on this board, you included.

That's not saying that your opinion doesn't matter. But it is not as "valuable" as you seem to think that it is when it comes to this management of this issue.

At any rate, bebezote should contact a professional cylinder head shop, advisably one which has a good deal of experience in the management of this issue, as opposed to relying on the advice of "Paul", "Quick" or anyone else in here.

If he neglects that advice, well then he does so at his own peril.

For your own sake bebezote, contact a cylinder head professional with a record of experience and success in the management of this issue.

That is the best advice you're going to get. Contact me via PM if you need some names of professionals who have this sort of experience.

Good luck and Godspeed.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 05-26-2014 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:28 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
I'm sure it could be found if you didn't delete it. Or at least a statement/inference that he shouldn't be listened to, which is the same thing. After all, several here shouldn't be listened to, right? Including some vendors? Word games cannot mask intent.

However; the best opinion on this matter is going to come from a professional as opposed to any amateur on this board, you included.
This is what I call the Pied Piper response. Independent thought is not necessary nor desired -- just do what you're told by someone you think is important or learned.

After learning why the space shuttle Challenger blew up (leaking o-rings in the SRB), I thought "Hell, I could have told them not to launch that thing!!!" The professionals thought otherwise . . . . .

At any rate, bebezote should contact a professional cylinder head shop, advisably one which has a good deal of experience in the management of this issue, [...]
Yes, yes, you keep narrowing it down. First it was a professional. Then it was a professional cylinder head shop. Now it is a professional cylinder head shop with a great deal of experience with LS7's I think you've pretty well narrowed it down to the one shop that you have adopted as your own Pied Piper
Old 05-26-2014, 05:29 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

If the modification plan I have in mind backfires, I'll be in touch (details coming in PM)
What happened that Paul is offering you stock oil lines, cooler and tank??

Can you at least confirm that you haven't already blown it up.

DH
Old 05-26-2014, 05:35 PM
Vette @ 71
Burning Brakes

That's not saying that your opinion doesn't matter. But it is not as "valuable" as you seem to think that it is when it comes to this management of this issue.

At any rate, bebezote should contact a professional cylinder head shop, advisable one which has a good deal of experience in the management of this issue, as opposed to relying on the advice of "Paul", "Quick" or anyone else in here.

If he neglects that advice, well then he does so at his own peril.
And when Mr. bebezote contacts a professional cylinder head shop he should demand that said expert provide un-controvertible data on the cause of guide wear/oem valve failure (not anecdotal b.s.) and proof that said experts recommendation(s) have been verified to correct the problem.

Mr. bebezote will have to determine what it will take to convince him that said expert fully understands the source of the problem and be comfortable with the recommended solution. In fact Mr. bebezote would be well advised to speak to many said experts.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:36 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

AND ...... there is no proof that you will have a problem at 7K rpm either. Many of us do just that

DH

One of my first acts after having my build done with SS valves, and the install of a new clutch was to take the car to the track to see for myself if there would be any trouble running it to redline.

The 10 second avatar is the result. On a build that at the time had around 500 street miles on it, and probably much less, at the time that I did it.

Indeed, I hit the rev limiter during that same occasion.

This was important after hearing the comments from Michael_D that SS valves would "slaughter" one's redline.

Many of us haves since discovered that to be utter bull$#**.

Actually, people in here long before me, knew that it was bull$#**. Flat out Crap.

Originally Posted by Michael_D
Thanks Paul, will do.

I can go on with discussing lobe side weight, but will save that for another day, another thread. In short, my personal opinion is to use a railroad tie for a pushrod if it improves stability, and to hell with the weight as I do not think it matters as much as conventional wisdom would have one believe.

[B]I am in complete agreement with you on the valve weight, as is my head guy. The lightest solid SS valve is 20 grams heavier than the OE ex vlv. That slaughters revs at 7K. ...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1583216336

Horse hockey. And it was horse hockey when he said it and it still is horse hockey.

What happened that Paul is offering you stock oil lines, cooler and tank??

Can you at least confirm that you haven't already blown it up.

DH
Did he already pop something?

Why does he need stock oil lines, cooler and tank?

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 05-26-2014 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:36 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Actually you have, but that is beside the point (intellectual honesty is a rare commodity in these threads).

Now we're on point. Your -- and certain other's -- interest in my personal life is a little creepy.

Offering an opinion is not "telling the membership what to do". It is rather bizarre that you would even suggest such a thing. Commanding others to reveal personal info, as you and certain others continue to do, is -- as I noted above -- a little creepy. Using that personal info against them or to harass them, be it car ownership status, car warranty status, valve guide status, or even citizenship status, is a good reason for people to refuse to share that info.

And I was just mentioning intellectual honesty? Wow. Just wow. LS7 Valvetrain Dynamics testing

Mark questioning my intellectual honesty is a personal attack.

I have repeately urged you to fix them. I have not commanded anything. Hypocritical intellectual dishonesty from you.

Sorry you feel its okay for you to implore that everyone check their heads but when I implore you to fix your after running the same test you find issue with me.

So again, good luck with what ever you are doing. I hope it includes getting your heads fixed. And of course I would urge you to consider SS valves and having Richard do the work for you

DH
Old 05-26-2014, 05:56 PM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

One of my first acts after having my build done with SS valves, and the install of a new cloth was to take the car to the track to see if there would be any trouble running it to redline.

The 10 second avatar is the result.

Indeed, I hit the rev limiter during that same occasion.

This was important after hearing the comments from Michael D that SS valves would "slaughter" one's redline.

Many of us haves since discovered that to be utter bull$#**.

Actually, people in here long before me, knew that it was bull$#**.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1583216336

Horse hockey. And it was horse hockey when he said it and it still is.

Did he already pop something?

Why does he need stock oil lines, cooler and tank?

AND Howie must have run his stock heads to 7000 rpm thousands of times in his first 88,000 miles and 40+ times at a ROADRACE track (not a mere drag strip) before he had a problem with what you have deemed to be junk valves...so what on earth would make you think your first trip to a drag strip proved anything about the reliability of the SS valves. And here I was nearly convinced you guys actually understood the physics of the matter

Wow, just wow...but again I truly appreciate your words because they say far more about your understanding of the issues than anything I could ever say, not to mention that if I did use my own words to describe your understanding I'd for sure get kicked off the forum forever

Cheers, Paul.

PS. Oh yeah, your fixation with Mark's personal life is truly creepy...as well the inability to understand any other reason for needing some stock oil lines than a blown engine speaks volumes!

Last edited by MTIRC6Z; 05-26-2014 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:09 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

AND Howie must have run his stock heads to 7000 rpm thousands of times in his first 88,000 miles and 40+ times at a ROADRACE track (not a mere drag strip) before he had a problem with what you have deemed to be junk valves...so what on earth would make you think your first trip to a drag strip proved anything about the reliability of the SS valves. And here I was nearly convinced you guys actually understood the physics of the matter

Wow, just wow...but again I truly appreciate your words because they say far more about your understanding of the issues than anything I could ever say, not to mention that if I did use my own words to describe your understanding I'd for sure get kicked off the forum forever

Cheers, Paul.

PS. Oh yeah, your fixation with Mark's personal life is truly creepy...as well the inability to understand any other reason for needing some stock oil lines than a blown engine speaks volumes!
Yeah Paul, wow.

Based upon how many other cars with stock valves in them popped long before Howie's did, one even backing out of a parking lot, and others with nowhere near the 88K miles Howie got on his, Howie got lucky.

This 2009 Z06 , sucked down one of it's stock hollow stemmed exhaust valves at 17,300 miles
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...py-ending.html

This 2007 Z06, ate one of it's stock hollow stemmed exhaust valves and digested it through a fresh hole in the side of it's engine block at 17,775 miles.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...ust-pipes.html

jad568 2007 45,000 miles failed while being backed out of parking lot

The average owner, myself included, needs to know that his car will first make it out of the parking lot without dropping a valve.

I read these cases above, and there is no way that I would run the part that is failing in these cars, nor continue to defend it, and "make excuses" for it, as Paul and some of the others in here have, that part being, the stock exhaust valve. There is no defending it. Look at those cases, and there are more like them.......I wonder how anyone can even attempt to defend that.

And BTW, didn't a car built exactly like yours and by the same people who built yours, using a heads and cam package just like yours, pop from a dropped stock exhaust valve when they were not changed out for SS valves?

Originally Posted by VRedZ06
Heads are GM heads done up by MTI Racing. Stock valves used. Increased flow and polished.
But Mark not wanting to disclose what he has done to remedy the KNOWN valve issue in his own car, and saying that doing so is an intrusion on his "personal life", is nothing more than a lame excuse and an attempt for him to avoid any comment on, or potential criticism of that which he has done to address the issue, if he has done anything.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 05-26-2014 at 06:40 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:12 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

The thing that is bewildering to me is that hundreds of guys come on here (me included several times) and share their stories whether it be about a blown motor, a build, head work specs etc. And no one ever claims CREEPINESS when fellow members follow up with questions. I thought sharing your car, its performance and issues was part of being a member here.

DH
Old 05-26-2014, 06:18 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

The thing that is bewildering to me is that hundreds of guys come on here (me included several times) and share their stories whether it be about a blown motor, a build, head work specs etc. And no one ever claims CREEPINESS when fellow members follow up with questions. I thought sharing your car, its performance and issues was part of being a member here.

DH
All of his talk is nothing more than an attempt at avoiding any comment or criticism of what he is doing, or has done.

They'll drum him out of the "everything is alright" camp, and call him a "flip flopper" same as they did your buddy Quick. And he knows it.

Difference is, I don't care to be accepted into that camp. Don't give a damn. And hope they don't like it. I don't care who I pissed off by changing positions on this matter as new information became available to me.

Anything that he has done, or is contemplating doing, opens him up to a line of questioning and potential criticism from his buddies, and his enemies, which he is not strong enough to handle.

That's the real reason for him not disclosing what he is doing, or what is in the works, or what he has done.

And the only reason why he makes such the effort, is because if whatever he has done, or has planned deviates at all from the stock setup, that he has been so defensive of the GM engineers on, that a flood of questions that he does not want to answer will follow.

He knows, that if he does, or has done, anything, which deviates from stock, ...be that guides, valves, rockers, anything, that he is going to be questioned about it, and he looks like a you know what, after having defended GM's engineers as vehemently as he has to this point, and he is clearly not up for that, and he is not going to allow that.

So rather than comment as to what he has planned or has implemented, he offers up this lame excuse.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 05-26-2014 at 06:29 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Dropped valve!!

Old 05-26-2014, 06:56 PM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

DH
WOW, you can't tell the difference, REALLY????

Key words being "share their story" meaning it was volunteered. In Mark's case he does not wish to volunteer his story (at least not to everybody, you guys in particular, because I and numerous others have been kept in the loop) and yet you guys keep pursuing him because apparently you are incapable of understanding the idea of "mind your our F***IN business. That's what's creepy, scary and to some degree hilarious

Cheers, Paul.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:06 PM
Vette @ 71
Burning Brakes

I'm sure it could be found if you didn't delete it. Or at least a statement/inference that he shouldn't be listened to, which is the same thing. After all, several here shouldn't be listened to, right? Including some vendors? Word games cannot mask intent.

This is what I call the Pied Piper response. Independent thought is not necessary nor desired -- just do what you're told by someone you think is important or learned.

After learning why the space shuttle Challenger blew up (leaking o-rings in the SRB), I thought "Hell, I could have told them not to launch that thing!!!" The professionals thought otherwise . . . . .

Yes, yes, you keep narrowing it down. First it was a professional. Then it was a professional cylinder head shop. Now it is a professional cylinder head shop with a great deal of experience with LS7's I think you've pretty well narrowed it down to the one shop that you have adopted as your own Pied Piper
Mark, this is the second time you have brought up the Challenger accident and reference to O rings. The Challenger did not fail because of an O ring similar to the oem valves not causing valve droppings. They are victims , not the cause.

The Shuttle program was designed to be 2 fault tolerant and still provide for vehicle and crew safety. In some areas this was not possible i.e structures, wings , fuselage, etc. However the SRB 's , which are separate sections that are mechanically fastened were designed to be single fault tolerant. i.e. 1 failure of a redundant joint/seal and be safe. The redundant joint/seal was to provide protection against the high pressure/ hot exhaust leakage if the primary joint/seal should leak.

After the accident and lot's of ground testing and analysis it was determined that seconds after SRB ignition, the redundant path did not exist and a single O ring was all that existed between the high pressure/hot gases and the outside world. Erosion was evidenced on previous launches where ambient temp was below 50F, however , erosion was evidenced at temp's above 50F. Erosion was erroneously believed not to be temp related ( big failure in hindsight).

On the Challenger launch day the nighttime temps were in the low 30's and as Dr. Fineman proclaimed, rubber becomes brittle at low temp and the O ring could not contain the gas.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:07 PM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

And BTW, didn't a car built exactly like yours and by the same people who built yours, using a heads and cam package just like yours, pop from a dropped stock exhaust valve when they were not changed out for SS valves?
Yep, that was Ernie's car...unlike you I know it and him well and also unlike you I know what happened, and guess what, it did NOT have anything to do with the OEM valve. What's hilarious is how regularly you bring up Ernie's engine failure without having a clue what exactly happened and yet apparently believe it somehow makes a case for you...but as usual I appreciate your words because, as I've said many times, they speak volumes about what you actually know and understand or more often, don't

BTW, did you notice Ernie hasn't been on this forum in ages, like since he got his car "fixed"??? Yeah, well there's a reason for that and while I'd like to share it with you, I find myself needing to adhere to the forum rules

Cheers, Paul.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Dropped valve!!