Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Electrical Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 10:37 AM
Metraman
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Electrical Issue

I went out Saturday to go for a drive and the car was totaly dead. i mean nothing i tried to jump it the lights would come on but as soon as i hit the key everything would go black and something would start clicking after.As soon as i disconnected the jumpers it stopped. So i charged it for 24 HR. It still does the same thing. I was hoping the battery was bad so the flatbed to the dealer woundn't be needed but a check of the battery shows perfect. Oh yea all the electrical items work that's till i hit the key then nothing.
HELP
Old 04-06-2014, 12:59 PM
ZeeOh6Nut
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Metraman
I went out Saturday to go for a drive and the car was totaly dead. i mean nothing i tried to jump it the lights would come on but as soon as i hit the key everything would go black and something would start clicking after.As soon as i disconnected the jumpers it stopped. So i charged it for 24 HR. It still does the same thing. I was hoping the battery was bad so the flatbed to the dealer woundn't be needed but a check of the battery shows perfect. Oh yea all the electrical items work that's till i hit the key then nothing.
HELP
Didn't have these symptoms on my ZR1 yet but had the exact description you described on my Cadillac with the same ignition button/fob setup. It happened after the doors were left open while at the detailer. I had to have the car towed to the dealership where they totally drained the battery, recharged it overnight, and told me it tested as new and the car would start. Since I had tried all that with jumping and charging already at the detailer, and didn't want to be stranded in the near future, I had them replace the battery anyway. No diagnoses as to why it all happened except that the technician stated the electronics for the start function and the computer controlling the anti-theft mode get very flakey when the battery is drained. Weird stuff with all the electronics BS they put on the modern cars.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:00 PM
INTRCUL
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

How did you check the battery? Just because it reads 12ish volts doesn't mean it's OK, you need to do a load test. You described everything going black when trying to crank it which sounds like a bad cell in the battery. Just to double check, turn the key to the ACC on position but don't crank the engine. Turn on the radio and maybe the interior map lights, maybe even the headlights. Then try to crank it over. If the starter or solenoid is bad, that could be clicking sound (or a dead battery) but all lights and the radio should stay on. If the electronics lose power when trying to crank my guess is a cell cracked inside the battery. On previous cars this happened to me twice with old school lead acid batteries and I could barely jump the car to get it home. Time for an Opitma gel battery!
Old 04-06-2014, 02:46 PM
Metraman
Pro

Originally Posted by INTRCUL
How did you check the battery? Just because it reads 12ish volts doesn't mean it's OK, you need to do a load test. You described everything going black when trying to crank it which sounds like a bad cell in the battery. Just to double check, turn the key to the ACC on position but don't crank the engine. Turn on the radio and maybe the interior map lights, maybe even the headlights. Then try to crank it over. If the starter or solenoid is bad, that could be clicking sound (or a dead battery) but all lights and the radio should stay on. If the electronics lose power when trying to crank my guess is a cell cracked inside the battery. On previous cars this happened to me twice with old school lead acid batteries and I could barely jump the car to get it home. Time for an Opitma gel battery!
They put a load on the battery and said it checked like new. Also tried the ACC position all the lights on as soon as I hit the start it all goes dark 15 seconds later all the lights come back on. I guess AAA will be out Wednesday. I sure hate to drag it up on the truck.
Thanks
Old 04-06-2014, 04:52 PM
RPO_Z06
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Sure sounds like a poor connection on a battery cable somewhere.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:42 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 685 Likes on 508 Posts

HELP
Good Afternoon,

I’m sorry to hear that you couldn’t take the Vette out, especially with the weather turning out so nice. I cannot guarantee anything, but I would be happy to look into this further for you. If this sounds like something you would like please private message us your contact information, VIN, and dealership name (if you have a preferred location). I will keep an eye out for your response. Thanks!

Jennie R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 04-07-2014, 03:14 PM
Metraman
Pro

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Good Afternoon,

I’m sorry to hear that you couldn’t take the Vette out, especially with the weather turning out so nice. I cannot guarantee anything, but I would be happy to look into this further for you. If this sounds like something you would like please private message us your contact information, VIN, and dealership name (if you have a preferred location). I will keep an eye out for your response. Thanks!

Jennie R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Hello Jennie
I appreciate the offer but the guys at Les Stanford and GM have gone over the top to take care of my car and I. They just replaced the supercharger even thou it was out of warranty. They've kept an eye on it because it's got 91,000 mile on it and was #46 in the build. It's been the best car I've ever owned.
Thanks Again
Old 04-07-2014, 04:08 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 685 Likes on 508 Posts

Hello Jennie
I appreciate the offer but the guys at Les Stanford and GM have gone over the top to take care of my car and I. They just replaced the supercharger even thou it was out of warranty. They've kept an eye on it because it's got 91,000 mile on it and was #46 in the build. It's been the best car I've ever owned.
Thanks Again
Hey there,

That is great news! I’m happy to hear that you have been taken care of well. Let me know if you have any further questions. Have a great day!

Jennie R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 04-08-2014, 07:25 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,122 Likes on 727 Posts

.............. because it's got 91,000 mile on it and was #46 in the build. It's been the best car I've ever owned.
Thanks Again
Outstanding to hear of a 91k mile ZR1.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:56 PM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

It does sounds a lot like a dead cell battery or bad connection!
Old 04-08-2014, 05:55 PM
Metraman
Pro

Originally Posted by timmyZ06
It does sounds a lot like a dead cell battery or bad connection!
Dealer will have it tomorrow. They fixed an oil leak last week one of the side bearing bolts leaked again. It sure seems like that's going to be the source.

Get notified of new replies

To Electrical Issue

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Electrical Issue