Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] New Z06 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 11:57 AM
SkyWalker2
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Z06 Owner

Hi all

I bought myself a 08 Z06 with 44 miles

Mods:
Vararam Intake
Radiator
Clutch Stage 3
MSD Wires
Lower Kit

I am facing some problems and I need to fix them all and need your experience

The car has no warranty so I can do whatever I want with it... I am planning to work on it at home... also no problem if i took it to someone if its need heavy work

01: I notice a clutch noise very annoying noise... the clutch seems fine it shifts nicely all gears but the noise is annoying... how do i get rid of it?

02: The car is lowered by a kit. I took it to a shop and they said they cant lift the car... Do i need to buy new springs? If yes, tell me part numbers.... this problem is killing me because we do have alot of bumpers where I live

03: Car temp is always at 200F... is it normal? some guys says its higher...

04: It blows hot air when I am at stop light... but when running its very cold. took it to a shop to check the compressor they said its work fine... but they dnt know whats the problem

05: I think its a time to do a maintaince on the car... plugs, wires...etc what should i buy to do it myself? I have a experience working on bikes and some cars before but never on a vette...

06: This gonna be my daily driving car.. it will be driven 50 mile a day, I do want it to be comfortable what you suggest?

07: I have a lights always on, traction, tire sensors, check engine <--- I think it because the exhaust that located between the headers and the catback... its removed and replaced with a pipe... I dont know what you guys call it...

Theres no experienced guys where I live that I can trust work on my vette and its my first vette...

Please let me know what to do to fix my problem, if any parts needed please name it or put a number so i can get them from the dealer...

you may ask why i shouldnt took it to the dealer to fix all of these... I want you to know the guys who works at the dealer I cannot trust... and it will cost me alot of money.

Thank you I will Post a vid and pictures of my engine as soon as I can
Old 03-29-2014, 12:05 PM
SkyWalker2
Heel & Toe

44K Miles!
Old 03-29-2014, 12:29 PM
SkyWalker2
Heel & Toe

Clutch is Monster Stage 3

Clutch noise sound goes away when i press the clutch

Last edited by SkyWalker2; 03-29-2014 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:06 PM
SkyWalker2
Heel & Toe

just like this sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cSbY...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-29-2014, 01:28 PM
1972bluelt1
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by SkyWalker2
Clutch is Monster Stage 3

Clutch noise sound goes away when i press the clutch
WOW lots of issues. Are the clutch noises at low speed? While turning?In a strait line?
Clutches in the differential can chatter and make noise and are usually cured by changing the fluid.

As I understand it the codes have to be checked with a scanner as opposed to viewing them on the DIC as in a C5. I'd find out what codes have been set, get a service manual and try to sort them out.

Have the wheels been changed? TPMS sensors may be missing.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:31 PM
SkyWalker2
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 1972bluelt1
WOW lots of issues. Are the clutch noises at low speed? While turning?In a strait line?
Clutches in the differential can chatter and make noise and are usually cured by changing the fluid.

As I understand it the codes have to be checked with a scanner as opposed to viewing them on the DIC as in a C5. I'd find out what codes have been set, get a service manual and try to sort them out.

Have the wheels been changed? TPMS sensors may be missing.
clutch noises happens when i turn the car on... it goes off when i push the clutch lever only... at low speeds...

yeah they was changed before i bought it...

what type of scanner i need? where to get it?
Old 03-29-2014, 01:55 PM
1972bluelt1
Burning Brakes

clutch noises happens when i turn the car on... it goes off when i push the clutch lever only... at low speeds...

Saw your video, can't be differential clutch noise.

I use a Actron CP9580L. I think I bought it from someone on ebay. Been awhile.

When lightening took out the EBCM on my c5, I was able to view the codes (via the DIC) and trace out the circuits with the aid of the service manual and replace the part. Don't have a lot of experience using the scanner. Just some O2 sensors and a loose gas cap.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:56 PM
Chance42
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That might be clutch chatter that could go away with some miles if the clutch is new. If it's not new and it is clutch chatter you'd have to go to a different clutch or live with it.

Any obd2 scanner will work for pulling codes I believe. It plugs into the port under your dash/steering column.

I second the tpms thing. Either the sensors are shot or the previous owner didnt opt for sensors when he put the new wheels on. I think you can get a set for around $150 from one of the vendors. That would cure the tire sensor and traction control issue if that is the problem.

I wouldn't worry about the plug wires, just the plugs. Pull them, check the gap, replace with some OEMS or NGK tr6ix would be my thoughts.

Edit to add:

The a/c thing is from the car getting hot and no airflow at a stop. First if you're going to raise the car up, see if it does it after that. If it does, bleed off a little of the refrigerant from the a/c system. It's getting too hot at a stop and over pressuring the system. Raising the car back up may allow enough air flow to the radiator to solve it, if not bleeding the system of some refrigerant should.

As far as raising the car up, is it on coilovers or is it on the stock leaf springs? If it is on leaf springs he probably used lowering bolts. Get some factory bolts fr your dealership or a vendor and it can be raised back up. If on coilovers it might not be able to go any higher, some of them have a 1-1.5 inch lower maximum ride height vs stock.

Oh, also if the car is always at 200, even when on the highway with clean air, it might have air in the coolant system and needs to be "burped". If only at a stop, that might be because it is lowered and no airflow.

Last edited by Chance42; 03-29-2014 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:49 PM
Cobra R
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

More than likely the running hot and a/c issue at stops is caused by the Vararam since it blocks a good portion of the radiator and a/ condenser. It's a common issue with them.

I personally dislike Monster Clutches and had issues with 3 of them and threw the last one away. Mine was horrible for noise.

Need a scanner for the other issues to see what codes. May need a tune if the converters are missing.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:06 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Need more info on why your shop can't figure out how to raise the car. The lowering kits are just bolts with shorter than stock bump stops, but you should be able to attain factory height with them. The only thing that comes to mind as non-adjustable are drop spindles. Drop spindles are pricey, so they're rare...I know of no one personally that runs them.

I have very little experience with corvette clutches, but have owned many many vehicles with manual transmissions...in my experience, when a cluctch is noisy at ldie and goes away once you engage it (press the pedal) it typically meant a bad bearing (pilot, throw out). Not sure that's your issue though.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:27 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra R
More than likely the running hot and a/c issue at stops is caused by the Vararam since it blocks a good portion of the radiator and a/ condenser. It's a common issue with them.

I personally dislike Monster Clutches and had issues with 3 of them and threw the last one away. Mine was horrible for noise.

Need a scanner for the other issues to see what codes. May need a tune if the converters are missing.
The clutch noise is because it is a Monster Stage 3 clutch. That's good if you drag race, but the only way you will get rid of that noise is to change the clutch $$$.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:08 PM
Cobra R
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
The clutch noise is because it is a Monster Stage 3 clutch. That's good if you drag race, but the only way you will get rid of that noise is to change the clutch $$$.
Oh no doubt they made noise beause of what the disc material is. My issues were a mismachined pressure plate, a vibration from the warranty replacement one and uneven wear on the third in a 1000 miles.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:16 PM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe the sound is coming from your supercharger underneath the hood. HAHAHA

02: The car is lowered by a kit. I took it to a shop and they said they cant lift the car... Do i need to buy new springs? If yes, tell me part numbers.... this problem is killing me because we do have alot of bumpers where I live

We have a lot of bumpers too... You mean curbs? Can you tell if the car has coil overs? OR... Just lowered on stock bolts?

Its looks about average...I only care about the oil temp, NOT so much coolant temp.. Just check you're coolant reservoir and make sure you have enough fluid of course..

05: I think its a time to do a maintaince on the car... plugs, wires...etc what should i buy to do it myself? I have a experience working on bikes and some cars before but never on a vette...

Buy good Sh*t...

06: This gonna be my daily driving car.. it will be driven 50 mile a day, I do want it to be comfortable what you suggest?

Swap out the tires...If you're running stock tires, they SUCK! They're harder too, and you will feel every bump on the road. Check you're suspension

07: I have a lights always on, traction, tire sensors, check engine <--- I think it because the exhaust that located between the headers and the catback... its removed and replaced with a pipe... I dont know what you guys call it...

TPMS could've gone bad. ..Traction control wise.... IDK. Check engine light could be the cause of you not having the cats (maybe)..Since it seems like theres a cat delete pipe. Probably was never tuned?

Theres no experienced guys where I live that I can trust work on my vette and its my first vette...

A lot of DIYs here which will help you..

Please let me know what to do to fix my problem, if any parts needed please name it or put a number so i can get them from the dealer...

SCREW the dealer.. They'll charge you an arm and a leg. Go to GM parts direct.. or the site vendors here. Ebay too is good.

you may ask why i shouldnt took it to the dealer to fix all of these... I want you to know the guys who works at the dealer I cannot trust... and it will cost me alot of money.

Nope..Not asking why...

Did you even know all these issues when you test drove/bought the car?

ALSO Check the heads too..Hopefully you've read the countless threads on here....Make sure the clutch reservoir is nice and clean. Wouldn't want the master cylinder going out on us would we.

WELCOME & CONGRATS ON THE Z!!!
Old 03-30-2014, 12:41 AM
SkyWalker2
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Rupert pupkin
I believe the sound is coming from your supercharger underneath the hood. HAHAHA

We have a lot of bumpers too... You mean curbs? Can you tell if the car has coil overs? OR... Just lowered on stock bolts?

Its looks about average...I only care about the oil temp, NOT so much coolant temp.. Just check you're coolant reservoir and make sure you have enough fluid of course..

Buy good Sh*t...

Swap out the tires...If you're running stock tires, they SUCK! They're harder too, and you will feel every bump on the road. Check you're suspension

TPMS could've gone bad. ..Traction control wise.... IDK. Check engine light could be the cause of you not having the cats (maybe)..Since it seems like theres a cat delete pipe. Probably was never tuned?

A lot of DIYs here which will help you..

SCREW the dealer.. They'll charge you an arm and a leg. Go to GM parts direct.. or the site vendors here. Ebay too is good.

Nope..Not asking why...

Did you even know all these issues when you test drove/bought the car?

ALSO Check the heads too..Hopefully you've read the countless threads on here....Make sure the clutch reservoir is nice and clean. Wouldn't want the master cylinder going out on us would we.

WELCOME & CONGRATS ON THE Z!!!
I had a good deal on this car, its look clean but need a lil work i think

I think it has a coilovers, I will take a look and check them today. if its, I need to buy oem? how much are they? do i need to change both rear and front?

the car is sitting low, it hits every bumper and thats killing me... I will lift her higher than the standard!

lets hope it doesnt cost alot. because if its I am returning the car.

car idles great, revs nicely, rides good with nitto envos, brand new tires.

If i changed the clutch to eom should this noise go away? or is it something in the transmission

I have read about the VR blocking air... I will remove it and go for eom or another brand...

all i want is a comfortable ride now because its gonna be my daily driving car

what should I do when doing a full maintaince?
belts?
wires
plugs
filter
engine oil
transmission oil
radiator flush
what else?
Old 03-30-2014, 02:35 AM
1972bluelt1
Burning Brakes

I had a good deal on this car, its look clean but need a lil work i think

I think it has a coilovers, I will take a look and check them today. if its, I need to buy oem? how much are they? do i need to change both rear and front?

the car is sitting low, it hits every bumper and thats killing me... I will lift her higher than the standard!

lets hope it doesnt cost alot. * because if its I am returning the car.

car idles great, revs nicely, rides good with nitto envos, brand new tires.

If i changed the clutch to eom should this noise go away? or is it something in the transmission

I have read about the VR blocking air... I will remove it and go for eom or another brand...

all i want is a comfortable ride now because its gonna be my daily driving car

what should I do when doing a full maintaince?
belts?
wires
plugs
filter
engine oil
transmission oil
radiator flush
what else?
Don't beat me up on this, but with all you're up against, If returning the car is an option, I'd look into that. Then look for a less altered Z, a GS or a base car as a DD. OMO
Old 03-30-2014, 03:04 AM
SkyWalker2
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 1972bluelt1
Don't beat me up on this, but with all you're up against, If returning the car is an option, I'd look into that. Then look for a less altered Z, a GS or a base car as a DD. OMO
I have returned the car, and I will never buy a used car again... I got fooled by the price....

thanks for all the help guys... i wish to come back again with a brand new Z
Old 03-30-2014, 09:31 AM
ctsv510
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have returned the car, and I will never buy a used car again... I got fooled by the price....

thanks for all the help guys... i wish to come back again with a brand new Z
Good decision to return it. Don't let that one discourage you though, there are plenty of well maintained cars out there on the used market.

Get notified of new replies

To New Z06 Owner

Old 03-30-2014, 10:24 AM
1972bluelt1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ctsv510
Good decision to return it. Don't let that one discourage you though, there are plenty of well maintained cars out there on the used market.

Bought my 1st vette new in 1972 cause I wanted a new car and back then all used ones I saw were beat. In 1986 I bought a 67. Looked strait and clean but needed a lot of work, but that was what I wanted at the time. They're easy to work on and it was a labor of love.
Since then I've bought 3 used. I look for unaltered, low mile 1 owner cars. Pay a premium, but that's ok. Not sure why so many guys buy these cars and drive them so little but I'm glad they do.
What I really don't understand is the occasional 10 yr. old car with 6.8 miles on it. Always have to wonder. does it have 10 yr. old gas in it? would it even run?
Old 03-30-2014, 10:49 AM
Blueline
Racer

Good news you were able to return the car. Did you buy it from a private seller or a dealer?
Old 03-30-2014, 11:15 AM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

Good choice.. it wouldve cost you a good chunk of change to swap out clutch and try and figure out other stuff.

Used cars are good. Dont be scared to buy one. Just do your research, check the car out meticulously, and of course test drive it.

Quick Reply: [Z06] New Z06 Owner