Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] And you thought the LS7 had issues...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 11:38 AM
The_Raging_Bull
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by nitrojunky
1) not a V6.
2) not the typical carrera engine.

true...I replied so quick I just said v6 in fact its horizontally opposed..a boxster type engine.

the other comment is that the car itself is very difficult to drive fast, I wish I had the chance to learn how.... but at the price they go for at $500K USD... well I wont be blowing the 401K.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:21 AM
vray
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by propain
If its cost effective a company will do it. If not, they sit back and absorb the damages later. (like Porsche did) Welcome to business.
Yes, business indeed. It is because of this lack of quality or commitment to quality that I won't be purchasing a c7z. How's that for business?
Old 03-23-2014, 10:32 AM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by vray
Yes, business indeed. It is because of this lack of quality or commitment to quality that I won't be purchasing a c7z. How's that for business?
That's your business.

I guess you wont be purchasing any model cars in the future either because there are exactly ZERO companies with a perfect track record out there.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:14 PM
KRAYZ308
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Handfull

Originally Posted by The_Raging_Bull
He was killed in a Porsche Carrera GT....which has a V10 in it pulling something like 615 hp; the GT-3 has the typical Carrera V-6, seems like the engine has been rated at 360 to 500 HP; depends on the variant. A good friend owns an '07 GT-3.
The V10 Carrera GT is a handful on the street because it is set up like a race car in that the power from the turbo comes on like a light switch. In other words, a race car on the track is designed to run in a certain rpm band and boost is kept up all the time. It is designed to run in that band. On the street the, Carrera GT is putting out about 1/2 power until you get up to boost. Then wham! 600+ HP and a load of torque and a loss of control if you are not ready. It's a different animal than a street turbo car that is tuned to smooth out the turbo transition to make it easier to drive. This is not the first one that has gotten away from an unsuspecting driver.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:01 PM
exracer28
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

I used to be a GM supporter and used to own their stock but after my local dealer lie time after time and GM only response was we will look into it with no improvement I am no longer on their bandwagon. It is sad that so many of us accept poor quality from our vendors. Just look at the quantity of junk we buy from China.

If GM believes there is not an issues then allow the expired warranty cars to have the engine warranty extended to at least 100k miles.

I believes that there is more to this issue than our LS7s and GM management does not care if the current owners buy another GM car as there seems to be enough new customers that will keep drinking the Kool-Aid to line the pocket of the decision makers. I have over 250k worth of GM products, that I bought new, in my driveway today but as each vehicle is replaced it will not be with anything from Chevrolet. Will GM do the right thing for their customers, hell no. Will some of us keep defending them, yes but over time they may learn this to GM the corvette is nothing more than another Chevrolet.

Very sad for those of us that grew up in the old days.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:10 AM
LanceFitzgiben
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Carrera GT is not turbocharged.

GM hasn't taken care of the issue in any way shape or form, and that's what gets to me. They can't report what the issue is, and they continue to slap the LS7 into more vehicles.

Anyway, whatever
Old 03-24-2014, 07:19 AM
Mig233
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by KRAYZ308
The V10 Carrera GT is a handful on the street because it is set up like a race car in that the power from the turbo comes on like a light switch. In other words, a race car on the track is designed to run in a certain rpm band and boost is kept up all the time. It is designed to run in that band. On the street the, Carrera GT is putting out about 1/2 power until you get up to boost. Then wham! 600+ HP and a load of torque and a loss of control if you are not ready. It's a different animal than a street turbo car that is tuned to smooth out the turbo transition to make it easier to drive. This is not the first one that has gotten away from an unsuspecting driver.
Nice explanation...except the Carrera GT was naturally aspirated.

The fact is that if the LS7's were failing and igniting, then GM would be forced to address the issue. Because the valve guide issue is not life threatening, and "only costs money to fix," GM is going to make its typical short-sided business decision and stick its head in the sand (along with some owners on this forum). Problem is, ignoring your loyal customer base is always bad for business.

GM is definitely aware of the issue. I wouldn't be surprised if it had something to do with the new "Z06" and it's underwhelming (for me at least) supercharged engine, in lieu of a 550+ hp n/a engine. I'm more excited about the new Boss Mustang engine that's under development...which is a HUGE FAIL on Chevy's part.

Last edited by Mig233; 03-24-2014 at 07:23 AM.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:27 AM
The_Raging_Bull
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Chevy will make money on the new C7 Z06 and its variants hand over fist. Personally I went with the LS7 since I wanted a true 427; and they WON'T be putting them in Corvettes again. I got a good enough deal (3 1/2 year old car, 750 miles, at 52K) that the $4K to do the valve guide fix is not game killer for me;

I haven't decided yet it if I'm putting an ERL Superdeck on the engine; and then building a twin turbo..much like the build that Vengeance Racing did. I guess I could do bolt-ons then and stay NA

Ah....choices choices...660HP NA or 1600HP TT.

one things for sure, unlike everyone who has changed their engine block to do a wild SC or TT build, whatever I do - NA or forced induction- will be on the original block to stay numbers matching.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:07 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

I've never contended that GM should give me a new engine or even inspect my engine, but that they should give me an extended warranty(10years/100,000miles) on my Z06. If there is no problem with the engine dropping valves( as GM seems to imply) then it would cost them nothing to extend the warranty, correct? If I never drop a valve in that 10 year/100,000warranty, then it won't cost them a dime. If there is a problem with bad machining on some LS7's heads, then GM should take care of the problem past the original 5 year warranty(to 10 years).

I would have never purchased the car if I had any inkling that I might be replacing the engine on my dime at, say, 30,000 miles because I was out of the original 5 year warranty, and it dropped a valve.

I've never heard of any modern engine(after 1955)having a life span of only 30,000 miles.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:15 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I've never contended that GM should give me a new engine or even inspect my engine, but that they should give me an extended warranty(10years/100,000miles) on my Z06. If there is no problem with the engine dropping valves( as GM seems to imply) then it would cost them nothing to extend the warranty, correct? If I never drop a valve in that 10 year/100,000warranty, then it won't cost them a dime. If there is a problem with bad machining on some LS7's heads, then GM should take care of the problem past the original 5 year warranty(to 10 years).

I would have never purchased the car if I had any inkling that I might be replacing the engine on my dime at, say, 30,000 miles because I was out of the original 5 year warranty, and it dropped a valve.

I've never heard of any modern engine(after 1955)having a life span of only 30,000 miles.

Extend the warranty for what? Only if it drops an exhaust valve?
Old 03-24-2014, 07:41 PM
jbs02somws6
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

JMO, but first I believe the combo of old crap tires on a 600 hp 3000 pound super Porsche with aggressive driving is what killed Walker and the driver. I think modern rubber would have went a long way towards keeping these two men still on the earth with us. It was proven that the Porsche GT had old tires on it, maybe factory ones.

Also, I thought that it was recently determined by John_g that the ls7 failures involving valves are from the mis-machining of valve guides on who knows what percentege of ls7 heads as there were two vendors who GM contracted through to assemble the heads. So does that mean half of all cars have bad guides or am I missing something?
Old 03-25-2014, 09:13 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jbs02somws6
JMO, but first I believe the combo of old crap tires on a 600 hp 3000 pound super Porsche with aggressive driving is what killed Walker and the driver. I think modern rubber would have went a long way towards keeping these two men still on the earth with us. It was proven that the Porsche GT had old tires on it, maybe factory ones.

Also, I thought that it was recently determined by John_g that the ls7 failures involving valves are from the mis-machining of valve guides on who knows what percentege of ls7 heads as there were two vendors who GM contracted through to assemble the heads. So does that mean half of all cars have bad guides or am I missing something?
I had not heard that there were two vendors doing the LS7 heads. I thought that Nemak in Monterrey, Mexico cast he heads(as well as the LS7 block) and then Linamar Corporation in Guelph, Ontario, Canada did the machining and assembly of the heads(as well as the machining and assembly of the liners of the LS7 blocks).
Old 03-25-2014, 11:44 AM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 178 Likes on 120 Posts

Really? So you've never heard of any engine (after 1955) other than the LS7 that needed replacing before 30,000?
Old 03-25-2014, 11:47 AM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by dmuellenberg
Really? So you've never heard of any engine (after 1955) other than the LS7 that needed replacing before 30,000?
Of course not... Only the LS7.

Extending the warranty sounds great except it covers way more than just a dropped valve. Also good luck proving what caused the failure down the road. Sounds like a logistical nightmare.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:53 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Well, I did forget about the other GM boondoggles. The Vega, the Oldsmobile diesel, the Cadillac 4-6-8, the 3.8L V6 with dexcool and it's incompatible intake gaskets. Just some examples of GM's engineering gone bad(and most of them at the buyer's expense to replace).

I guess that makes the LS7 dropping valves acceptable in your eyes. The "other guy does it" excuse. I don't accept it as
"normal".

I'm glad I can now hold my head up high and when someone asks me about LS7's, I can proudly say it's as good as the engine found used the early Vegas, and is as good as the diesel powered Oldsmobile and the premium Cadillac 4-6-8. Mighty good company I'm now running with.

Last edited by JoesC5; 03-25-2014 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:57 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by propain
Of course not... Only the LS7.

Extending the warranty sounds great except it covers way more than just a dropped valve. Also good luck proving what caused the failure down the road. Sounds like a logistical nightmare.
When Mercedes put in my owners manual to use conventional oil and not to change if for 10,000 miles, they screwed up. They sent me a new page for my owners manual specifying that I should only use synthetic oil and then extended my warranty(on the entire drivetrain) to 10 years/150,000 miles. If I had any engine problem during that warranty period I didn't have to "prove" that it was caused by using conventional oil before they notified me not to. Mercedes would take care of the problem, if I have a warranty claim.

Last edited by JoesC5; 03-25-2014 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:06 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

When Mercedes put in my owners manual to use conventional oil and not to change if for 10,000 miles, they screwed up. They sent me a new page for my owners manual specifying that I should only use synthetic oil and then extended my warranty(on the entire drivetrain) to 10 years/150,000 miles. If I had any engine problem during that warranty period I didn't have to "prove" that it was caused by using conventional oil before they notified me not to. Mercedes would take care of the problem, if I have a warranty claim.

I don't believe this is true. Are you talking about civil action case due to sludge with the Flexible Service? Yes the warranty was extended to 10/150K but was ONLY for problems due to Oil Consumption. (rings/guides/valve stem seals). It was not a warranty for any problem and didn't cover the entire drive train.

Am I thinking of another case?

BTW my C63 MB has a head bolt issue that MB refuses to do anything about.

Get notified of new replies

To And you thought the LS7 had issues...

Old 03-26-2014, 02:41 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 178 Likes on 120 Posts

Well, I did forget about the other GM boondoggles. The Vega, the Oldsmobile diesel, the Cadillac 4-6-8, the 3.8L V6 with dexcool and it's incompatible intake gaskets. Just some examples of GM's engineering gone bad(and most of them at the buyer's expense to replace).

I guess that makes the LS7 dropping valves acceptable in your eyes. The "other guy does it" excuse. I don't accept it as
"normal".

I'm glad I can now hold my head up high and when someone asks me about LS7's, I can proudly say it's as good as the engine found used the early Vegas, and is as good as the diesel powered Oldsmobile and the premium Cadillac 4-6-8. Mighty good company I'm now running with.
If you are that disappointed with GM and the LS7 then may I suggest you sell your GM car(s) and move on.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:43 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

If you are that disappointed with GM and the LS7 then may I suggest you sell your GM car(s) and move on.
Some of us have. Sadly.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:28 PM
The Highlander
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't want an extended warranty
I don't want new heads
I don't want money.

What I do want.... is a solution.... part numbers and what to do to fix the problem.
That is IT. It gets annoying to drive the engine in fear all the time.

I just like it too much to let it go.....

Last edited by The Highlander; 03-26-2014 at 09:45 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] And you thought the LS7 had issues...