Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Thinking of upgrading axles, any reasons not to?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 10:07 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Thinking of upgrading axles, any reasons not to?

In my prep to make the car ready for track, I had forgotten about the axles. Being an 06, they've got the skinnier set than the later years. They've never given me a problem before, but I was beginning to wonder if I should just get them replaced while I'm at it.

I'm more of a road course/autocross guy, so I don't really put that much stress on the drivetrain with hard launches, but I may do an occasional drag event and I'd hate to need a tow because I neglected to upgrade the axles.

Besides cost, are there any reasons not to upgrade? Are the C5 Z06 axles still recommended or should I get the 08 axles? Or something else? My research has shown 09+ won't work.

Slightly off topic - Anything else I should do in terms of preventative maintenance? Car is running great with no problems, but want to get ahead of any known weak leaks. I've done the heads (WCCH) and upgraded the oiling system (LPE tank & oil pan baffle) already.

Thanks.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:13 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Towing it?
Old 01-21-2014, 10:44 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by propain
Towing it?
If an axle snaps, car would need a tow. Am I wrong? I figure with no resistance back to the LSD, it'll just free spin the broken axle and it won't go anywhere.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:24 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,043 Posts

I busted an axle on my 08 at the strip. I changed both to C5 axles and am still running them 5 years later.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:45 PM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
In my prep to make the car ready for track, I had forgotten about the axles. Being an 06, they've got the skinnier set than the later years. They've never given me a problem before, but I was beginning to wonder if I should just get them replaced while I'm at it.

I'm more of a road course/autocross guy, so I don't really put that much stress on the drivetrain with hard launches, but I may do an occasional drag event and I'd hate to need a tow because I neglected to upgrade the axles.

Besides cost, are there any reasons not to upgrade? Are the C5 Z06 axles still recommended or should I get the 08 axles? Or something else? My research has shown 09+ won't work.

Slightly off topic - Anything else I should do in terms of preventative maintenance? Car is running great with no problems, but want to get ahead of any known weak leaks. I've done the heads (WCCH) and upgraded the oiling system (LPE tank & oil pan baffle) already.

Thanks.
cooling would be the other big thing
Old 01-22-2014, 09:57 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

I have seen axles break on 06 and 07 Zs..but only at the drag strip. I'd at least upgrade to the 08 half shafts as they are compatible IIRC.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:09 AM
ConfusedGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
I busted an axle on my 08 at the strip. I changed both to C5 axles and am still running them 5 years later.
This. I run 10s all day launching on drag radials with my c5 axles, never broken one. I shattered enough to figure this out. I've heard the newer improved either 08+ or around there hold up well too. No idea what happened in the early c6 yrs, but they shatter too easily.

Rock auto, search for C5 remanufactured axles. Done!
Old 01-22-2014, 01:19 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

If an axle snaps, car would need a tow. Am I wrong? I figure with no resistance back to the LSD, it'll just free spin the broken axle and it won't go anywhere.
What I meant was when you attend track events do you tow/trailer it there. If you do I say drive it until it breaks. If you don't you might want to upgrade to the C5 axles.

Last edited by propain; 01-22-2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:38 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 383vett
Thanks. Did your 08 have the later revised axle? I believe that not every 08 got them. Trying to decide between C5 axles vs 08 axles. Why did you pick the C5s over the later revisions?

Originally Posted by dapopa9
cooling would be the other big thing
Thanks. Good point. I'll dig into whether or not this could be a problem for me. Haven't had any cooling issues with the car in the past, but HPDEs are a whole different animal.

Originally Posted by LFZ
I have seen axles break on 06 and 07 Zs..but only at the drag strip. I'd at least upgrade to the 08 half shafts as they are compatible IIRC.
Thanks. Is there a preference for the 08 axle or C5 axle?

Originally Posted by ConfusedGarage
This. I run 10s all day launching on drag radials with my c5 axles, never broken one. I shattered enough to figure this out. I've heard the newer improved either 08+ or around there hold up well too. No idea what happened in the early c6 yrs, but they shatter too easily.

Rock auto, search for C5 remanufactured axles. Done!
Thanks. Do you have a preference for the 08 axle or C5 axle? When you talk about C5 axles, are they all the same, or are the C5 Z06 axles different?

What I meant was when you attend track events do you tow/trailer it there. If you do I say drive it until it breaks. If you don't you might want to upgrade to the C5 axles.
Oh, got it. Don't have a truck or trailer. Not to say this isn't a possible option and while there are numerous benefits, I don't think I'd go down this path. At least, not right now.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:43 PM
ConfusedGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

A-1 CARDONE 601374 (60-1374) CV Half Shaft Assembly, should be about $300 for 2 with shipping.

Part number in bold above for rock auto, all C5 axles are the same. I prefer the C5 to the revised 08s, but thats just my experience with 550 rwhp and drag radials the past 5 yrs on C5ers.

My first two stock axles popped on the street, and I don't suggest waiting for that. These cars are low, and mine lowered 1.5 all around could barely get on a flatbed without damage. It took all kinds of wooden boards to just barely do it.

PLUS, the mess of the grease splooge all under the car, its a nightmare when it happens!

Last edited by ConfusedGarage; 01-22-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:57 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Road racing doesn't seem to kill axles, just drag racing on sticky tires.

Only reason not to upgrade would be time or money. If you have plenty of both I guess go for it.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:09 PM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A-1 CARDONE 601374 (60-1374) CV Half Shaft Assembly, should be about $300 for 2 with shipping.

Part number in bold above for rock auto, all C5 axles are the same. I prefer the C5 to the revised 08s, but thats just my experience with 550 rwhp and drag radials the past 5 yrs on C5ers.

My first two stock axles popped on the street, and I don't suggest waiting for that. These cars are low, and mine lowered 1.5 all around could barely get on a flatbed without damage. It took all kinds of wooden boards to just barely do it.

PLUS, the mess of the grease splooge all under the car, its a nightmare when it happens!

Yeah what a freakin mess when you break one and then getting the car home is a real PITA. And this does not even address the possibility of collateral damage, even something as simply as bending the shaft in a shock, in my case a Penske coilover, got stupidly expensive to fix. I went with the C5 axles and haven't broken since.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:31 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 777 Likes on 506 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Thanks.
I just went through this recently when I (finally) broke an axle at the dragstrip on January 5th.

After well over 3000 launches and 96K original miles, my right rear axle snapped on the very first pass that day. I had replaced the left one with a C5 Z06 one early last year but it was only because the clamp on the grease boot had let go.

A friend asked me if I planned on upgrading to heavy duty axles but after hearing several horror stories about them and my original one lasting as long as it did, I felt that the best upgrade (albeit only a minor one) was to put a new C5 one on the right side.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:26 PM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

They only way to guarantee that an axle will not break at the strip is to never go unless you will spectate. ALL of the mentioned axles can and do break when attempting to launch extremely hard or dumping a clutch that grabs on a sticky track. If your car is apart now or you have down time, then pick up some C5 axles and replace them. Keep the old ones as spares. Since you do not have a trailer, you can bring the tools to the track to change one should it break. (I can give you a list should you need one. It takes less than an hour with hand tools, a jack, 1/2" impact gun, etc.) This is cumbersome but does prevent a tow. You can also launch softer and not try to kill the 60' or cut a light. This will minimize your chances for breakage but not prevent it.
Good luck.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:33 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Towing it?
I agree with this^. Your balling, that way you can tow either of us back from the dragstrip if needed preferably in style with a 2014 Silverado 6.2 or something along those lines!
Old 01-22-2014, 07:41 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Thanks. I'll look for the C5 axles. Agree, I rather solve the issue than mess with the future problem and grease down the line.

Originally Posted by Unreal
Road racing doesn't seem to kill axles, just drag racing on sticky tires.

Only reason not to upgrade would be time or money. If you have plenty of both I guess go for it.
OK. Thanks. Wasn't sure if there was some other underlying compromise when moving to the bigger axles.

Originally Posted by MTIRC6Z
Yeah what a freakin mess when you break one and then getting the car home is a real PITA. And this does not even address the possibility of collateral damage, even something as simply as bending the shaft in a shock, in my case a Penske coilover, got stupidly expensive to fix. I went with the C5 axles and haven't broken since.

Cheers, Paul.
Thanks Paul. Agree that I don't want to put myself in a situation where I need a tow if I can prevent it. I'd hate to have to cut a good and fun event/day short because of this. Plus the mess as you have mentioned.

Looks like the C5s are the way to go.

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
I just went through this recently when I (finally) broke an axle at the dragstrip on January 5th.

After well over 3000 launches and 96K original miles, my right rear axle snapped on the very first pass that day. I had replaced the left one with a C5 Z06 one early last year but it was only because the clamp on the grease boot had let go.

A friend asked me if I planned on upgrading to heavy duty axles but after hearing several horror stories about them and my original one lasting as long as it did, I felt that the best upgrade (albeit only a minor one) was to put a new C5 one on the right side.
Thanks Chris, looks like you got a lot of life out of those axles. Then its interesting to hear others who have gone through multiple sets. I think I'll get the C5 axles.

Originally Posted by GARY2004Z06
They only way to guarantee that an axle will not break at the strip is to never go unless you will spectate. ALL of the mentioned axles can and do break when attempting to launch extremely hard or dumping a clutch that grabs on a sticky track. If your car is apart now or you have down time, then pick up some C5 axles and replace them. Keep the old ones as spares. Since you do not have a trailer, you can bring the tools to the track to change one should it break. (I can give you a list should you need one. It takes less than an hour with hand tools, a jack, 1/2" impact gun, etc.) This is cumbersome but does prevent a tow. You can also launch softer and not try to kill the 60' or cut a light. This will minimize your chances for breakage but not prevent it.
Good luck.
Agreed, the only way to prevent it is not to drive it or put it into that environment, but I bought the car to have fun and I don't want these little tiny things to get in the way of that. Who knows when I'll need to do a burnout or a launch? Wouldn't want this pesky thing to get in the way!

I might just swap these out and keep the old ones as spares for whatever reason. Thanks.

Originally Posted by LS7 DREW
I agree with this^. Your balling, that way you can tow either of us back from the dragstrip if needed preferably in style with a 2014 Silverado 6.2 or something along those lines!
Yep, that crossed my mind as well. It was either replace the axles or buy a new Silverado High Country or Sierra Denali with an enclosed trailer. I had to flip a coin to decide what to do and the axles were the winner. Too bad, we could have had a nice support vehicle for when we go out to the track!
Old 01-22-2014, 07:50 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Yep, that crossed my mind as well. It was either replace the axles or buy a new Silverado High Country or Sierra Denali with an enclosed trailer. I had to flip a coin to decide what to do and the axles were the winner. Too bad, we could have had a nice support vehicle for when we go out to the track!
You guys are funny. If you go to the track under your own power your luck will run out eventually. In my case I am 3 hours from the closest track. It can lead to a pretty miserable experience if and when it breaks.

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking of upgrading axles, any reasons not to?

Old 01-22-2014, 09:17 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I broke an axle at the track this past season. I debated going with DSS axles and in the end replaced it with a C5 axle. If anything is going to break on a hard launch, better an axle then a trans or diff. (done that too). The axle is cheap, and easy to change, compared to whatever else might break.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:29 AM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

You guys are funny. If you go to the track under your own power your luck will run out eventually. In my case I am 3 hours from the closest track. It can lead to a pretty miserable experience if and when it breaks.
I'm on your side, that's why I'm counting on him buying the setup lol. Maybe I will pay for the gas........maybe
Old 01-23-2014, 10:12 AM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by LS7 DREW
I'm on your side, that's why I'm counting on him buying the setup lol. Maybe I will pay for the gas........maybe

One of the best investments if you like to track your car is a hauler and a trailer. It takes the paranoia out of your head and leaves you free to push the car to its limits without holding back because your afraid it might break.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Thinking of upgrading axles, any reasons not to?