Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Needing to Vent about my Cats

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 01:07 PM
BubbaThaLuva
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Needing to Vent about my Cats

So, one day I'm driving and I hear a rattling sound coming out of my exhaust.... I find some material that clearly came from the catalytic converter lodged behind the "NPP Exhaust" baffle. I pull about 4 chunks out with a coat hangar. The car sounds quite a bit throatier after coughing out all that congestion. However, due to the fact that the car had its entire engine replaced at 14k miles because of a faulty cat, I knew that I would only be able to enjoy the extra power and throaty sound for so long before I would lose another engine or have it properly replaced. I took my baby to the local Chevy Dealership in Killeen, TX. Mr. Tim called me back the next day to tell me that a new cat was on order and that he'd call me when it was ready to be installed. He called a week later, and I brought the car in a week after that. All was well until I heard some even worse clanking sound at low idle. I brought the car back to All American Chevy Monday. I just found out today that not only has the car gone through its 3rd Cat, but there was a "software issue in the ECM" and that my car won't be ready until at least Monday. For an Army guy on the front end of a 4-Day weekend with an AutoX on Sunday, that's bad news. I tried to talk them into a loaner Vette for the weekend, and that wasn't happening either. I'm thinking a C7 ZXX is in my future.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:24 PM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

I expect worst cats issues with C7 HI-PO, with tighter emission regulation. Long tube with catless X-pipe, PROBLEM SOLVED
Old 11-27-2013, 03:15 PM
K B Vettin
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

i sorta agree with timmyZ06, i would do american racing headers with hi flow cats.

on another note your EGT's must be super high for you to be eating cats like a crazed dog. your tune must be super lean. what casued your first moter to let go, i know you said cats but anything more specific you could share would be appreciated.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:50 PM
BubbaThaLuva
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The exact details of the first engine failure are third-person to me, but they go something like this:

The guy I bought the ZR1 from, bought it used in Dallas. Drove it to Georgia and noticed black/dark smoke coming from it when he'd apply full throttle. He didn't think much of it at the time because the car still hauled *** and he didn't know it wasn't supposed to blow smoke. He eventually started to noticed diminished performance and finally took it to a Chevy dealer. After lots of troubleshooting, GM determined that material from cats was sucked into the engine via back-pressure and fouled up the engine. This was confirmed by me calling the service manager in Georgia and talking to him personally. I bought the car last December with 18k miles and 4k miles on the engine for about 77k. Its still under warranty, so there's no money out of my pocket for any of this, you'd just think that GM would do a better job on their flagship car.

Get notified of new replies

To Needing to Vent about my Cats

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Needing to Vent about my Cats