Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] E85 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 12:15 AM
OBSSSD
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by DSteck
I build my own wiring harnesses for these. The CTS-V setup takes less than a minute to install. There's also no hard connections for wiring, just plug in and go.

And because I'm a ricer:

Really nice...

I'm going to start using your kits when I do E85 on cars
Old 11-29-2013, 12:22 AM
ss2z06
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by gkzr1
Looks great, i just hope its not going to cause a restriction with those turns and longer path to the rail
That's what was provided by dsteck's recommended source so I'm expecting it to be ok. The distance shouldn't be an issue. I checked multiple times with the supplier because I ordered full flow fittings and was guaranteed this will be ok.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:23 AM
gkzr1
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by ss2z06
That's what was provided by dsteck's recommended source so I'm expecting it to be ok. The distance shouldn't be an issue. I checked multiple times with the supplier because I ordered full flow fittings and was guaranteed this will be ok.
Awesome thats great than, like i said the setup looks fantastic.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:43 AM
ss2z06
Melting Slicks

Awesome thats great than, like i said the setup looks fantastic.
Thank you! Now I just need to install the injectors and get the car over to my tuner(the man who spec'd your cam) and she how it all goes!
Old 11-29-2013, 01:50 AM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

Looks great, i just hope its not going to cause a restriction with those turns and longer path to the rail
It'll be perfectly fine. I wouldn't think twice about the fittings causing a problem. The only issue that might pop up would be a kink in the hose.

Originally Posted by OBSSSD
Really nice...

I'm going to start using your kits when I do E85 on cars
Thanks! I try to pay attention to detail. The adapter is going to be the cat's meow.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:48 PM
0Speed Inc.
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave, we used your kits on both our ZR1 and CTSV, both worked out superb. Will be using on all future customer Flex-Fuel conversions. Thanks again..
Old 12-03-2013, 07:29 PM
James Short
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is probably the best mod you could do to a high strung setup. Better have good injector data however cause things will get a little out of whack on one end of the spectrum or the other with bad injector data.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:23 AM
DSteck
Safety Car

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by James Short
This is probably the best mod you could do to a high strung setup. Better have good injector data however cause things will get a little out of whack on one end of the spectrum or the other with bad injector data.
The cost compared to how much power you can gain makes it hard to ignore, too. FI cars love it.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:02 AM
narush
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

The cost compared to how much power you can gain makes it hard to ignore, too. FI cars love it.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:11 PM
Marcus Frost
Intermediate

Sorry to raise an older thread, but I am curious about what people's longer term experiences with E85 have been?

One of the caveats to E85 has been, in my experience, the manifestation of problems in the longer term versus things you notice quickly in the short term. Things like fuel filter degredation, fuel pump failures, etc happen after months if not years, not right away. I think done properly, E85 can be a great fuel, but it has to be thoroughly engineered and tested.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:35 AM
ace32x
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
Sorry to raise an older thread, but I am curious about what people's longer term experiences with E85 have been?

One of the caveats to E85 has been, in my experience, the manifestation of problems in the longer term versus things you notice quickly in the short term. Things like fuel filter degredation, fuel pump failures, etc happen after months if not years, not right away. I think done properly, E85 can be a great fuel, but it has to be thoroughly engineered and tested.
ive wondered about the pumps myself. the z06 pumps dont seem to hold up to it well at all
Old 04-29-2014, 12:41 AM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I think that's why a lot more people now do the flex fuel setup and only occasionally run e85, when I do my setup I'm prolly only gonna run e85 when I have some type of race event or something come up.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:01 PM
ss2z06
Melting Slicks

Ive been running it now for a few months with no problems but as stated it is a flex fuel setup so I switch every tank from 91 to e85. So far so good and WAY better than when I was running 100, but I do miss that smell!
Old 04-29-2014, 02:04 PM
Marcus Frost
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ace32x
ive wondered about the pumps myself. the z06 pumps dont seem to hold up to it well at all
The ability for E85 to slowly degrade fuel systems that are not designed for it is one of the biggest problems. Filtration, pumps, etc all need to be designed and maintained specifically for E85. GTRs have been running E85 for a long time and still the "formula" for a reliable setup is not that convincing to me, especially if you want to run E85 24/7 like I do.

Originally Posted by LS9Drew
I think that's why a lot more people now do the flex fuel setup and only occasionally run e85, when I do my setup I'm prolly only gonna run e85 when I have some type of race event or something come up.
That is not a reasonable solution IMO - by running it at all, you are destroying your fuel system if you don't address the issues. Just delaying what is without question going to be a problem for your car is lighting the fuse for a stick of dynamite but maybe adding a few feet to the length of the fuse. Still going to explode.

-m
Old 04-30-2014, 01:15 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Tech Contributor

Using gasoline to occasionally pickle the system actually prolongs them significantly. The biggest problem with ethanol is the readiness to absorb water. While I agree that the system should be 100% compatible top to bottom, many factory systems have been surviving for very long periods of time without an issue while running true flex fuel setups. A diet of nothing but McDonald's cheese burgers will kill you, but mixing it up with healthy food will balance you out.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:14 PM
solow1k
Racer

Using gasoline to occasionally pickle the system actually prolongs them significantly. The biggest problem with ethanol is the readiness to absorb water. While I agree that the system should be 100% compatible top to bottom, many factory systems have been surviving for very long periods of time without an issue while running true flex fuel setups. A diet of nothing but McDonald's cheese burgers will kill you, but mixing it up with healthy food will balance you out.
So with a good tune, can someone really beat on the cars with pump in them? also with Exx in them? Without ever having to hook a laptop to it?
Old 05-01-2014, 08:22 AM
DSteck
Safety Car

Tech Contributor

Yes.

Get notified of new replies

To E85 conversion

Old 05-01-2014, 10:53 AM
ss2z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by solow1k
So with a good tune, can someone really beat on the cars with pump in them? also with Exx in them? Without ever having to hook a laptop to it?
Thats what i do! Requires a good tuner.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:49 PM
Marcus Frost
Intermediate

Dave,

Thanks for joining this thread. Would you be confident enough to add actual figures to your claims?

How often do you have to "occasionally" pickle your fuel system with traditional fuel?
How long does this pickling, if done as necessary, prolong the reliability of the fuel system?
How many factory systems have been surviving?
How long have they survived?

I appreciate your rhetoric, but without some actual firm data it is hard to speculate what is truly possible. If you are in the business of selling systems to make our cars more E85 compatible, this kind of data could go a long way into getting people like myself and others on board with it rather than sticking to the sidelines because of speculative hesitancy.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:53 PM
solow1k
Racer

asking someone for Data with so many different factors isn't really realistic imo. If there is that much concern then the entire fuel system should be replaced with something ethanol capable.

Last edited by solow1k; 05-05-2014 at 04:08 PM.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] E85 conversion