Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Manual or Auto??

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 03:25 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by DocHorton
That's a good idea...I may consider a CTS-V. Do you have a two door or four-door? I like the ZL1 idea, but just can't get over the looks of the Camaro.
I have the 4 door, but if you like the looks of the 2 door, it's awesome too. I personally like the 2 door, but it was a bit flashy for me. I got a white with chrome wheels '12 CTS-V auto sedan. I took the V badges off the car, so only car guys knows it's a V (with the hood, the big brakes, exhaust tips, wheels, etc.). Blends in at work no problem and around town, but nail the happy pedal and the Corsa mufflers start screaming, the Airaid intake allows that nice blower whine to annouce itself, and it's bye-bye time.

Anyway, you owe it to yourself to go drive a new CTS-V automatic. Honestly, I've had two C6's (including my current '10 ZR1) and the CTS-V is WAY more quiet, comfy (absolutely get the Recaro heated/cooled seats), smooth, and more substantial feeling than the C6. Just an overall better daily driver by far and still hauls the mail when needed. Handling is very impressive too for it's weight. The magnetic suspension really keeps things together.

That said, it'll never do what the ZR1 can do on the road course, but everywhere else the V is an outstanding vehicle.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:37 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,627 Likes on 1,746 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Keep the GS for your DD, and get the ZR for fun I love my GS BUT slow and zzzzzzzz being an auto all though fun at the lights, at the track of course
Old 11-25-2013, 03:49 PM
JTE
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 4-7, 9 & 10 Veteran

Originally Posted by Blownls3
Exactly. I love beating ZR1's with my Supercharged C6 automatic.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:00 PM
gonabite
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

That's the thing....I don't want a manual at all, I would much rather have an auto any day. The problem is ZR1's only come with a manual and I really want a ZR1. If they came with an auto there wouldn't be any decision. I'm just curious if the hassle of driving a manual about 2/3 of the time in traffic is worth a ZR1 over a supercharged GS.

Since you don't daily drive or have traffic then you're not in the same boat, but you're right, either way is a win/win!
Or you could just buy my automatic ZR1....
Old 11-29-2013, 12:35 AM
DocHorton
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gonabite
Or you could just buy my automatic ZR1....
Interested, details please?
Old 11-29-2013, 01:14 PM
gonabite
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Interested, details please?
PM Sent
Old 12-02-2013, 03:17 PM
Atomic C6
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JTE

BS and Crazy, not really. You need to check the FI section. Plenty of C6's running low 10's and high 9's as DD's. ZR1's dont get to have all the fun.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:26 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,313 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
How many ZR1's around here have you beaten with your blown C6 auto? I live in DFW too, so I know there aren't exactly a lot of ZR1's around here that will roll race with you. I do road course work, so I'm not too concerned about straight-line speed. Your C6 supercharged automatic would overheat and/or blow up easily if I drove it for a 20 minute track session.

To the OP, if you want a blower, auto, and C6, then get a supercharger and be done with it. However, if you want a factory supercharged automatic small block and since you like cruising around town and won't race on a road course or anything, how about a CTS-V or ZL1? I have a '12 CTS-V automatic and it's an OUTSTANDING daily driver. Makes just over 500rwhp with an Airaid intake and Corsa mufflers running through the auto and is very comfy and smooth, but can kick a** when needed. Best of both worlds and much more DD comfy than a C6.
I agree an auto CTSV would be a nice option and I'm a manual guy at heart, but wouldn't want to DD a ZR1 here in DFW traffic especially if trying to talk on the phone at the same time.

In Blown LS3's defense, I believe he means at the dragstrip against a stock zr1 as I know he frequents it often...running in the 6s and 10s, which not many owners of ZR1's can pull that off from what I've seen. Now from a roll that may be another story, though he did go 179mph in the Texas Mile with a strong head wind.

On another note thought, I know you are more a road course guy now, but you ran your C6 at the dragstrip obviously as that is how we met long ago curious if you've taken the ZR1 down the other "track"?
Old 12-03-2013, 07:50 PM
1BADLS
Racer

Pre-Z06, that is completely true. I have raced ZR1's at the Friday Night Drags as well as on the track at Northstar.

As far as my car blowing up after 20 minutes on a road course, you are wrong. 3 weeks ago, I spent the entire day at Eagles Canyon. My car did fantastic. It was even better than the professional driver sitting in my passenger seat was expecting.

There were numerous ZR1's at the Texas Mile. Only 2 posted Faster times than me. 182.20 and 181.90. My C6 did 179.9. I was the fastest base model C6 at the event. The next closest went 175.5. The slowest ZR1 went 174.90.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:46 PM
1BADLS
Racer

Originally Posted by Rock'n Blue 08
Have to say with 770/770 to the wheels! with an Eforce and an auto!
You must be the highest on here with an Eforce cause most are 475-525. You must have something like a freaky 20 psi going on then stock block? Some heavy nos? Didn't know a car would hold together either esp the 6spd auto? What is this build? Those are Turbo numbers not eforce numbers!
I'm not sure where you came up with 770/770? I never said my car makes that power. It dyno'ed 2 weeks ago at 548/560 at the rear wheels. My car has an Eforce, 3" upper pulley, Pfadt Long Tube Headers and James Karger custom tune. That's it. It is running about 11lb boost at WOT.

Excessive power is useless if you can't put it to the ground.

Last edited by 1BADLS; 12-03-2013 at 09:52 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:51 PM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

As far as my car blowing up after 20 minutes on a road course, you are wrong. 3 weeks ago, I spent the entire day at Eagles Canyon. My car did fantastic. It was even better than the professional driver sitting in my passenger seat was expecting.
Uh, yeah, since when do PD's with their tiny little integrated heat exchangers heatsoak less than centris and their large, external, front-mounted intercoolers?
Old 12-03-2013, 11:34 PM
1BADLS
Racer

Originally Posted by Corvettinator
Uh, yeah, since when do PD's with their tiny little integrated heat exchangers heatsoak less than centris and their large, external, front-mounted intercoolers?
This isn't a battle of which type SC is better. He said my car would last 20 min in a road course. There are pro's sand cons for each type SC. It's obvious, you are partial to A&A. That's great.

Last edited by 1BADLS; 12-03-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:33 AM
Malco
Instructor

Ok ZR1 guys, at the risk of being called out on my manhood, here is my question.....

I am debating between a ZR1 and supercharging my Grand Sport and I am unsure how difficult or how much of a pain it would be to get a ZR1 and drive a manual as an almost daily driver. Here's why....my GS is an auto and I much prefer auto's for several reasons....I drive about 35 miles each way in DFW traffic, I think shifting gears would be a pain, I have never owned a manual car but have driven them several times. I frequently talk on the phone while I drive. I will never go to a track or race the car except some highway pulls. I have a truck that I drive when it rains or if there is bad weather.

Any advice on whether driving a manual car under those conditions is fun or more of a hassle? Is driving the manual easy or constant work? Opinions from those who have had both would be appreciated!

Take it easy on me....
This is a long story which I will try to make as short as possible.
In 2012 I bought a new Grand Sport Coupe to replace my 2007 Coupe.
Both cars were manual. The 436hp GS was a pig compared to my 400hp 2007 base car. I was not a happy camper. I thought long and hard on the subject. I am not an auto mechanic, but I own a machine shop and I know something about things that go. Here is my reasoning, if I add on a supercharger it will probably solve HP the problem. But the engine, transmission, (actually the entire drive chain and suspension) was not designed for the added horsepower. Not to mention the warrantee. And to be honest if someone was selling a car like that I wouldn't be interested at any price.
So after about 2 or three months I traded in the GS for a new 2012 ZR1, and I have never been happier.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:55 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

I'm not sure where you came up with 770/770? I never said my car makes that power. It dyno'ed 2 weeks ago at 548/560 at the rear wheels. My car has an Eforce, 3" upper pulley, Pfadt Long Tube Headers and James Karger custom tune. That's it. It is running about 11lb boost at WOT.

Excessive power is useless if you can't put it to the ground.
Not sure why you think I'm was referring to you!
Old 12-04-2013, 11:39 AM
LT1xL82
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The CTS-V is a seriously nice car...absolutely no question. AND...you can have what you want (motor and automatic) in a pure stock car, warranty and all!

Another POSSIBILITY is to see what, if anything, is announced at the January Detroit show. There are a lot of rumors that a performance variant will be announced and sold as a 2015. I would not be shocked if it were a supercharged LT-1 with an available automatic. It could be one heck of a car!

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
I have the 4 door, but if you like the looks of the 2 door, it's awesome too. I personally like the 2 door, but it was a bit flashy for me. I got a white with chrome wheels '12 CTS-V auto sedan. I took the V badges off the car, so only car guys knows it's a V (with the hood, the big brakes, exhaust tips, wheels, etc.). Blends in at work no problem and around town, but nail the happy pedal and the Corsa mufflers start screaming, the Airaid intake allows that nice blower whine to annouce itself, and it's bye-bye time.

Anyway, you owe it to yourself to go drive a new CTS-V automatic. Honestly, I've had two C6's (including my current '10 ZR1) and the CTS-V is WAY more quiet, comfy (absolutely get the Recaro heated/cooled seats), smooth, and more substantial feeling than the C6. Just an overall better daily driver by far and still hauls the mail when needed. Handling is very impressive too for it's weight. The magnetic suspension really keeps things together.

That said, it'll never do what the ZR1 can do on the road course, but everywhere else the V is an outstanding vehicle.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Manual or Auto??