Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Wiggle Test Today -- Results

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 04:16 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Wiggle Test Today -- Results

I had some free time today, so I decided to pull the valve covers off my 9100 mile, 2006 Z06 to see how things are holding up. After checking 2 cylinders on each bank, I gave up, because everything looked great and measured fine. Each guide would wiggle between .0030 and .0036 with the valve 1/4" or so off the seat, measured at the top of the stem because there's no way I could fit the dial indicator down next to the guide as the GM procedure specifies.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:37 PM
bluemagoo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

31 views and no comments?? Guess there's no drama here folks.....

Glad to hear that things measured well for you Flareside.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:41 PM
dstiger
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

cool deal

you and 20 other guys including me work on our own cars!
Old 11-21-2013, 05:56 PM
Despicable Z
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

Nice to see a good result I would have measured a few more but that doesn't look to bad!
Old 11-21-2013, 06:46 PM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice to hear. I measured mine at the tip of the valve too because it was way easier to keep the end of the dial indicator located there and not have it slip off during the wiggle. Of course this means that even if you see as much as .080" wiggle you will still be in spec.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:07 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Congrats..its about time for some good news...now drive it...9100 miles on a 2006...wow
Old 11-21-2013, 07:11 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,195 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by troller399
Congrats..its about time for some good news...now drive it...9100 miles on a 2006...wow
turned 80K last month on my 07
Old 11-21-2013, 07:11 PM
Random84
Safety Car

Congrats.. ...now drive it!!!!
Old 11-21-2013, 07:34 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

LOL, I do need to drive it more - and it's November so the car will be going to sleep for the winter any day now. I work from my home office, so mileage is hard to come by!
Old 11-21-2013, 07:41 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Nice! Thanks for sharing.

80K miles, nice pewter.

That's the thing about good news, its not as fun. Most people are having way too much fun driving and enjoying to post and update on how good the car is running. This is why doom and gloom threads always seem like its the only thing happening.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:43 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dstiger

cool deal

you and 20 other guys including me work on our own cars!
Funny you mention that - today was the first day I turned a wrench under the hood of my Z! I've owned a long list of Vettes and done all kinds of projects in my garage - heads, cams, intakes, manifolds, headers, tunes, etc., but the C6Z is just such a great car that I never felt the need to take it apart. As you all know these cars are amazing, even stock.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:23 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Originally Posted by propain
Nice! Thanks for sharing.

80K miles, nice pewter.

That's the thing about good news, its not as fun. Most people are having way too much fun driving and enjoying to post and update on how good the car is running. This is why doom and gloom threads always seem like its the only thing happening.
This forum (not just the Z section) has always loved a good doom and gloom story, you just have to filter out most of it. Heck, when I had a brand new 05 C6 it felt like there was a new nightmare to worry about every week! Dead batteries, then balancers flying off, then exploding differentials, then shift to reverse doesn't work right, then flying roofs, then faulty column locks, then... It was all noise, my car was totally trouble free until the day I sold it.

There are many Z06 owners that I talk to regularly in my area, and none of them have had any problems with their LS7s, so I was hopeful that mine would be OK. Glad it worked out that way. I do feel horrible for the people that have lost their engines, but they are a small minority as far as I can tell. The good stories just don't make it to the internet and/or the repair shops very often.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:46 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Flareside
This forum (not just the Z section) has always loved a good doom and gloom story, you just have to filter out most of it. Heck, when I had a brand new 05 C6 it felt like there was a new nightmare to worry about every week! Dead batteries, then balancers flying off, then exploding differentials, then shift to reverse doesn't work right, then flying roofs, then faulty column locks, then... It was all noise, my car was totally trouble free until the day I sold it.

There are many Z06 owners that I talk to regularly in my area, and none of them have had any problems with their LS7s, so I was hopeful that mine would be OK. Glad it worked out that way. I do feel horrible for the people that have lost their engines, but they are a small minority as far as I can tell. The good stories just don't make it to the internet and/or the repair shops very often.

I couldnt agree more. I have been on and seen this way to many times on way to many forums.

In my area it was the same story. I regularly hang out with and see over 10 Z06's every weekend in the good weather. All of them look at me sideways when I bring up all these issues and not one has had the problem. The shops sure are loving it though. Whenever I call them they laugh and say "So you have been on the CF". They are more than happy to take my money.

The paranoia and hype almost got the best of me on this forum. It was still enough for me to inspect. Happy to say 14K miles with over 200 drag passes and a few track days and I am completely in spec. Good to see I am not alone.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:22 PM
BIG B FAB
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for sharing! I will be checking mine in a few weeks. I'm getting ready to do my cam install and will do the test first. I have 14K on my 08' and am curious to see the results.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:25 PM
2MFFZo6
Racer

08VY z
08 Callaway
Old 11-21-2013, 11:43 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Congratulations and thank you for the post. It does us good to hear good results. My wife used to run an Intensive Care Unit in a major Children's Hospital and she had everyone spend at least an hour of their working week in the Medical Center's Maternity Ward. Given all the sickness you see, there needs to be a sanity check.

Mine is scheduled for 8 am Monday at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista. Hopefully I will be out of there in the afternoon with as good a set of tests as you had today.

Don't forget to wave!
Old 11-22-2013, 12:21 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by pkincy
Congratulations and thank you for the post. It does us good to hear good results. My wife used to run an Intensive Care Unit in a major Children's Hospital and she had everyone spend at least an hour of their working week in the Medical Center's Maternity Ward. Given all the sickness you see, there needs to be a sanity check.

Mine is scheduled for 8 am Monday at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista. Hopefully I will be out of there in the afternoon with as good a set of tests as you had today.

Don't forget to wave!
Good luck on Monday. Please say "Hi" to Rich if you see him.

Get notified of new replies

To Wiggle Test Today -- Results

Old 11-22-2013, 08:46 AM
Wndotintman
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice to see someone post good results. Seems we just hear about the bad one. I have a 09Z stock with 14K miles and plan to check mine in the next few weeks. A friend has a 08 that had the motor replaced because of a dropped valve and we are going to check his too. His has a early 2012 engine in it.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:08 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by 2MFFZo6

08VY z
08 Callaway
What's happening 08VY z. It is good to see another SC652 on the board. I never see or hear about any other Callaway SC652's. I am assuming they were so close in price point to the ZR1 that most people opted for the ZR1.

How may miles do you have on your SC652? What type of use does it see? Post some pics if you can.

I have about 8000 miles on my 09. Motor seems very quiet and with only 8000 miles I have not bothered checking my valve guide clearance. I am assuming you have no issues as well.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:30 AM
GR8R1DE
Intermediate

Anyone have step by step instructions on how to do the wiggle test? Pictures would be great if anyone has them. Im pretty handy but never really done any engine work. Have an '08 with 7700 miles and would like to see if there is an issue.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Wiggle Test Today -- Results