Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Running the Z @ Pocono, will I have issues????

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 08:37 PM
Cman01
Melting Slicks

Received 460 Likes on 311 Posts

Default Running the Z @ Pocono, will I have issues????

I just booked a "drive your own car" @ Pocono for next year and plan on taking the Z06 down to run the "tricky triangle".

Other than drag racing, this will be the first event I've run the Z on an oval type track at fairly high speeds.

Now we know that under high g left turns the LS7 could have problems with oiling from the dry sump so I'm wondering if this will be a problem for me and the car when I go there.

My car is basically stock. I will be running my street tires (not slicks) so should I be concerned or will it be ok running the car there on the triangle?

Tony
Old 11-18-2013, 09:42 PM
2MFFZo6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will not have problems. It will be a great day for you. Any other questions?
Old 11-19-2013, 09:00 AM
racerx3317
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 163 Posts

How much and where did you sign up? I ran the road course in an open wheeler last year and I'd love to run my Z on the big track. And no you will have no problems. I think people only reported issues when they used slicks.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:50 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No issues on street tires, coming from someone who has done Pocono more than 60 times.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:52 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,532 Likes on 2,610 Posts

Originally Posted by Cman01
I just booked a "drive your own car" @ Pocono for next year and plan on taking the Z06 down to run the "tricky triangle".

Other than drag racing, this will be the first event I've run the Z on an oval type track at fairly high speeds.

Now we know that under high g left turns the LS7 could have problems with oiling from the dry sump so I'm wondering if this will be a problem for me and the car when I go there.

My car is basically stock. I will be running my street tires (not slicks) so should I be concerned or will it be ok running the car there on the triangle?

Tony
What track layout will you be running? Frequently the road racers use the tunnel turn and turn 1, running clockwise so you'd be turning right.

Another factor is you dry sump capacity. If you have an 06-early 08 then you have an 8Qt capacity. Late 08 had an 8 1/2 Quart capacity and 09+ is 10 1/2 qt. capacity. The 09 and newer LS7's seem to have less problems with the left turn oil pressure issue. YMMV

While the track tires pull bigger G's, the Michelin Pilot Supersports are pulling over 1.1G on a flat road and I've maxed the Z06 G meter at 1.27 (why did they put that low limit on the G-meter in the HUD?) on a relatively flat track with the PSS.

You can recall the highest G achieved (up to its 1.27 limit) by holding down the Page button (left side of the IP) before you shut the engine off. It will display in the HUD, at least if you have the HUD in Track 1 or 2 Mode.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:21 AM
racerx3317
Drifting

Originally Posted by AzDave47
What track layout will you be running? Frequently the road racers use the tunnel turn and turn 1, running clockwise so you'd be turning right.

Another factor is you dry sump capacity. If you have an 06-early 08 then you have an 8Qt capacity. Late 08 had an 8 1/2 Quart capacity and 09+ is 10 1/2 qt. capacity. The 09 and newer LS7's seem to have less problems with the left turn oil pressure issue. YMMV

While the track tires pull bigger G's, the Michelin Pilot Supersports are pulling over 1.1G on a flat road and I've maxed the Z06 G meter at 1.27 (why did they put that low limit on the G-meter in the HUD?) on a relatively flat track with the PSS.

You can recall the highest G achieved (up to its 1.27 limit) by holding down the Page button (left side of the IP) before you shut the engine off. It will display in the HUD, at least if you have the HUD in Track 1 or 2 Mode.

Dave,

I think he's running the oval, or at least that's what I understood. The East course, which is what I ran, used turn 3 which turned left.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:33 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Originally Posted by racerx3317
Dave,

I think he's running the oval, or at least that's what I understood. The East course, which is what I ran, used turn 3 which turned left.
North Course uses Turn 3. East Course runs on the Long Pond Sraight but doesn't use any of the NASCAR turns, South Course uses Turn 1. The upgrades made for last season changed some of the course layout for the East and South courses.

If he is a novice he won't have an oiling issue on the NASCAR turns since he will not be going fast enough to really pull high Gs. It is one thing to blast down the long straights well into the triple digits but it is quite another thing to carry a large portion of that speed into the turn with the walls staring you in the face. That little voice in the back of your head takes over and says "You are crazy", and your foot lifts off the gas. Even when you try and keep it down it lifts.

Bill
Old 11-19-2013, 11:42 AM
racerx3317
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
North Course uses Turn 3. East Course runs on the Long Pond Sraight but doesn't use any of the NASCAR turns, South Course uses Turn 1. The upgrades made for last season changed some of the course layout for the East and South courses.

If he is a novice he won't have an oiling issue on the NASCAR turns since he will not be going fast enough to really pull high Gs. It is one thing to blast down the long straights well into the triple digits but it is quite another thing to carry a large portion of that speed into the turn with the walls staring you in the face. That little voice in the back of your head takes over and says "You are crazy", and your foot lifts off the gas. Even when you try and keep it down it lifts.

Bill
You're right, meant to say North. It took all my self control not to say screw it and blast down past the cones out of 3 and go around the oval just once for giggles and *****.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:12 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
My first Pocono experience was with NASCAR Turn 1 run clockwise in my Datsun 510 at 124 MPH, in the damp, back in the early '70's - eyes wide open!
Old 11-19-2013, 07:46 PM
Cman01
Melting Slicks

Thanks guys for the info.

This is the event I signed up for:

http://www.877stockcar.com/driveyourown/index.htm

because I haven't been on that track I have to take the morning stock car course before I go out in my car to do the laps. I'm only running the triangle oval (no infield road course).

FYI, I'm hardly a novice but this will be my first time on a big oval superspeedway type course. In my younger days I did solo 1 events @ Shannonville and Mosport but got out of it due to the cost. Kinda getting back into a bit with this and other events (this past summer I did Mustangs @ Mosport in my Shelby).

So some more q's. Those of you that have ran that track what kinda speeds are you getting on the straights and in the turns with a Z06? Do I need to worry about brakes to a point? I plan to change my brake fluid and don't think the oval will be hard on brakes. I'm using posiquiets right now but can change back to a brand new set of OE pads if I have to for this event.

Since I am driving my car down there I will be leaving a bit of a margin out there so I can drive my car home and not crack it up.

Tony
Old 11-19-2013, 08:21 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Sounds like a great road trip and track event for you Tony!!!

Enjoy yourself and be safe...
Old 11-19-2013, 08:39 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

because I haven't been on that track I have to take the morning stock car course before I go out in my car to do the laps. I'm only running the triangle oval (no infield road course).

FYI, I'm hardly a novice but this will be my first time on a big oval superspeedway type course. In my younger days I did solo 1 events @ Shannonville and Mosport but got out of it due to the cost. Kinda getting back into a bit with this and other events (this past summer I did Mustangs @ Mosport in my Shelby).

So some more q's. Those of you that have ran that track what kinda speeds are you getting on the straights and in the turns with a Z06? Do I need to worry about brakes to a point? I plan to change my brake fluid and don't think the oval will be hard on brakes. I'm using posiquiets right now but can change back to a brand new set of OE pads if I have to for this event.

Since I am driving my car down there I will be leaving a bit of a margin out there so I can drive my car home and not crack it up.

Tony
I can't help you much on brake pads for the oval (never driven the full oval), but if you have the factory pads, they should be safe for the whole time on the oval. On a road course they do wear quickly, but don't fade (don't have the grip of track pads, though) so are a safe choice. I don't know if the Posi-quiets hold up to any track use.

Mosport is a fantastic drivers track. I got my first Time Trial FTD there back in the '90's, with a stock Supra TT using DOT track tires and track pads. I know they've made some changes to the track since then, but it hasn't lost its challenge.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:50 AM
Cman01
Melting Slicks

Yes, they have made some changes to Mosport but still basically the same track. I ran the "old track" over 20 years ago and this summer noticed the changes.

If you know the track turn 2 now has a wide run off before you would slide down a steep hill if you go off there. Turn 4 "the chute" used to be a totally blind corner now it's all opened up so you can see towards turn 5a and b (moss corner).

The large bump at the end of the Mario Andretti straight is now pretty well gone it used to be a huge bump where cars would go airborne before you brake for 9.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:49 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Tony
The top speed sort of depends on how much speed you carry through Turn 1 onto the Long Pond straight or through Turn 3 onto the front straight. Not sure how long the Long Pond straight is but the front straight is 3800 ft when run in the NASCAR configuration. I know some people are seeing over 160 on the Long Pond. I was over 150 on it in my C5Z.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Running the Z @ Pocono, will I have issues????

Quick Reply: [Z06] Running the Z @ Pocono, will I have issues????