Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Sell my '08 Z06 and get an '08-10 Viper?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 01:08 AM
2008corvette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sell my '08 Z06 and get an '08-10 Viper?

I've been kicking around the idea of selling my '08 Z06 and buying an '08-10 Viper. Don't get me wrong I absolutely love my Z but I was just thinking about trying something new since I'm coming up on 6 years of ownership this coming winter. Maybe wasn't the smartest decision but I purchased the car brand new when I was 21 and still living at home haha, but everything worked out fine. Anyways, I've always liked Vipers and it's probably the only sports car I would sell my Z for. Not really a fan of the new C7 or the new Vipers which are out of my price range anyways.

I love the look of Vipers, that's pretty much the main reason why I want one. I've heard they aren't the most comfortable and have cabin heat issues but those two things wouldn't really bother me since it would only be a weekend car. I've always babied my Z but the idea of no traction control with the Viper kinda bothers me.

My Z is cammed with headers and B&B Bullet exhaust so I know going to a Viper might be kind of disappointing in the sound department, I know they don't sound the greatest. I love the way my car sounds and would probably miss that.

So basically the exhaust and no traction control are the two things that have me on the fence. I really wish that I could have both in my garage but that's not going to happen anytime soon unfortunately. Opinions?

My car-

The color combo I really want-

Old 11-02-2013, 01:46 AM
TT32VGT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive thought about it as well, but as you pointed out, the c6z is a much better all around car.. I think the viper just has the exotic factor to it..
Id stay with the z, but thats me and my decision
Old 11-02-2013, 03:38 AM
Vettes R Us
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Stay with the Z and trash the POS Viper.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:45 AM
tonmarchelli
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

the problem I find with these vipers is that with the new vipers coming in they look dated to me. And to my eye, the outgoing Z doesnt look as dated when compared to the new C7. Ive known a few people who have owned this gen viper, and all of them got rid of it after just a few years or less.

For me, its either the first gen viper, or the newest one.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:43 AM
ghoust
Racer

I loved mine. I would say go for it. Life is too short to be with one car...
Old 11-02-2013, 06:00 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,358 Likes on 14,009 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Your Z looks great, it's a car you love and I would assume has been trouble free during your ownership. Three very good reasons to keep the Vette.

But like you mention, sometimes you just need a change. Look at it this way, if you made the change it's not like you could never go back to Vette ownership again.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:01 AM
Snake Bite52
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

this is what i wrote on another thread a couple of months back.... im 21 now so this is a "younger" person perspective of the two.

my dad just sold his 08 venom red vert after owning it since new. i actually learned how to drive stick on that car and i drove it quite a bit so ill list a few short things about the gen 4 viper vs a c6 z06
dads viper- stock besides American racing headers and corsa exhaust. similar set ups put down high 5's/600 whp. no nav
my 07 z06- h/c. 2lz with nav

if you're getting the viper just because you want something different or are bored, its a perfect car for that. they are similar cars on paper but so different in real life. the viper feels like a freight train, it just keeps pulling and pulling and doesnt let up. But its not exciting or fun like the ls7 is. the ls7 revs much quicker and has a more "peaky" power band while the viper doesnt seem to feel any different in the powerband. i will say the viper seemed to hook way better on street tires then my z does. handling i cant comment much, i havent been able to rip in the z yet but the vipers handle awesome. All this bs about the viper handling like **** and is scary to drive is like i said- bs. Maybe it was the color, but i get more attention in the z then driving the viper. The viper was a cool car but not my favorite to drive all the time. very boring inside, seats are great but it feels very tight inside (im 6'1, 220 pounds) where as the z is very roomy and i feel way more relaxed. driving position is better for ripping around or "spirited driving" in the viper but thats not to say you can get into a good position in the z. As far as sound goes, its debatable. My car sounds sick and at full throttle its down right sexual with headers and muffler mod. The vipers have an odd sound and stock sound like absolute ****. I will say with the headers and full exhaust the car sounded insane and full throttle it was evil.

if i had to pick between the two, it would be the vette hands down. As cool as the viper is and as good looking of a car they are, its just not the best performer or daily. The aftermarket sucks for the viper as well, parts are very costly and its pretty much go big or go home with the viper.

if you're looking for anything specific to be questioned about let me know

Old 11-02-2013, 06:21 AM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 794 Likes on 538 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Vettes R Us
Stay with the Z and trash the POS Viper.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:03 AM
Chuck A
Race Director

Received 138 Likes on 129 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I would stay with the Z, but i really like the Vipers color, (GREEN)
Old 11-02-2013, 09:01 AM
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice comparison write up, Snake Bite52. Between the two, I'm way partial to Chevy's. The Viper is still a Dodge. When I see a Viper on the road, it does nothing for me. And as said earlier, the earlier gen Vipers do look dated.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:24 AM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The gen4 Viper has a 99 inch wheelbase the C6 Z06 a 106 inch wheelbase. I once noticed a guy on the Viper forum comment that there were two categories of Viper owners, one was those who has spun their Viper, the other was those who were going to spin their Viper. So your concern about the lack of traction control, not to mention stability control, would seem to be well founded

Cheers, Paul.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:26 AM
Brian E
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a couple things to think about before moving to a Gen 4 Viper from your Z06.

1) Engine mods are very limited for the 600 hp Gen 4 Viper. You can't tune them, short of going to a full blown engine management system. (AEM, Motec) If you do headers, cam etc. you have no choice but to install the Mopar PCM so you don't get a CEL every drive cycle. You can't even install a skip shift on a 2009 or 2010 without throwing a code. (For reference, Gen 2 and 3 models can be tuned)
2) You mentioned cabin heat. The coupes can get wicked hot in the heat of the day, but the Gen 4 cars are better than their predecessors. Bellanger headers, high flow cats, and Corsa exhaust improve the sound as well as reduce heat. You will still burn your leg on the side sills if your bare leg touch's them. (the wife hasn't ridden in any of my Vipers since the late 90's)
3) You mentioned the lack of traction control. All generations will bite you if the a** if your not careful. If you stab the throttle and aren't pointed straight, your going to turn it around.
4) You mentioned comfort. If your a big guy like me, a Viper Coupe is a tight fit. You can buy 1 inch and 2 inch seat lowering kits that will help a lot.
5) I found a Corvette Forum member a Black/White stripe Gen 3 Coupe this past summer. He loves it and has no regrets.

Whenever any of my Corvette buddies ask me why I have such a passion for the Vipers, in return I ask them if they remember what it was like to drive a mid year big block.........nuff said.

PM me if I can be of any help with any other questions.

2012 Corvette Z06 Z07 Nurburgring: 7:22
2012 Corvette ZR1 Nurburgring: 7:19
2010 Viper ACR Nurburgring: 7:12

Last edited by Brian E; 11-02-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:33 AM
John_P
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have driven a few Vipers and must add that I think the Z06 is a much better "all around car." I know the Z06 is MUCH MORE comfortable than any Viper I drove, although I haven't driven any of the 2014 Vipers.

I agree with much of what CF Member Brian has said. The Vipers are very hot inside and the door sills with the sidepipes are almost too hot too touch on very warm days. In my opinion, the Vipers are also hard to get in and out of. And as the other members pointed out, the lack of traction control on any of the models except the brand new ones can get you into trouble. Personally, I hate the exhaust sound of a Viper too. Not even close to a Z06.

But I also understand you are looking for a change so it is ultimately your decision Sir. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Last edited by John_P; 11-02-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:51 AM
Random84
Safety Car

Staying with the Z06: it' paid off, financially smarter, very similar performance in numbers/on paper but more refined and - IMHO - more reputable and "classy." You have mods in it, and as you say it has great sound, power, and is a blast to drive yet still docile enough for driving to work every day. Traction control keeps you alive, and you can always turn this off for "fun."

Going to the Viper: it will cost you money, it will probably have more of a "raw" power feel to it but will be more challenging to drive fast due to lack of traction control. It will be more work to drive it 24/7 and trickier in bad weather. Arguably more fun... until another Z06 passes you off because you're spinning out in 1st gear? Lastly, although I like the look of the viper, as someone else said it does look pretty dated already - like a big giant green ***** with hood vents.

The Viper screams "mid life crisis" and will make everyone else think that you have a small unit, are compensating for it, and trying to look like a Big Shot. IMHO, naturally.

So yeah, if you want something different go for it - but we're on a Corvette forum and I personally think the Z06 is a better all around car from a lifestyle/appearance/efficiency/value perspective.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:27 AM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Waiting for mopar jimmy to chime in, he always has some equally useful info as we're seeing here. I know he went to a viper from a z.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:18 AM
Nino S
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

the viper looks great but the 04-06 SRT10 vipers I drove really did not feel fast at all, but they were bone stock. My bolt on Z gets me excited every time I drive it and I came from a built 03 Cobra that made 822 rwhp on big boost.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:36 AM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you have the itch, I say scratch it. You can always come back to a Z if the Viper does not suit you long term.

Get notified of new replies

To Sell my '08 Z06 and get an '08-10 Viper?

Old 11-02-2013, 05:54 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

I think the Viper is a great looking American car. But the Z out performs it on the track. But only by a small amount. Its a little heavier and and a little less balanced.so the extra HP is not too much help.

Again, It is a beautiful car in any color.

My Z with new crate engine and limited bolt on's is an asphalt beast. I love it. I would not make the change.

Last edited by rabrooks; 11-02-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:45 PM
LT1Pat
Instructor

I'll never buy a dodge again... The viper will handle "good" to a person that has never pushed either car to their limits. Also, they look dated.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:15 PM
teking
Drifting

They look like a hard top miata's big brother. Think I'm full of it? Look at the shape of that green Viper in the first post and picture a hard top Miata.

For reference: http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...lectedIndex=39

Quick Reply: [Z06] Sell my '08 Z06 and get an '08-10 Viper?