Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Too much Forum Sponsor Adds in here...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 10:08 PM
FRChilln
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Didn't mean to open a can of warms just gets irritating when there is a vendor section. Non of my other forums are cluttered like this ones been lately. I get it about the vendors paying to keep the lights on in here but damn...

Rant over...
Old 10-17-2013, 11:45 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
I have to disagree there

DH
OK, DH. As a fellow dentist, I'll qualify that for you. The ads are better than all the drama that goes along with the valveguide threads.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:54 PM
chrisfromalbany
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FRChilln
Didn't mean to open a can of warms just gets irritating when there is a vendor section. Non of my other forums are cluttered like this ones been lately. I get it about the vendors paying to keep the lights on in here but damn...

Rant over...
Old 10-18-2013, 03:59 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
Forum ads are better than valveguide threads, anytime, anyday.
What about Forum ads selling new heads/rebuilding old heads with bad valve guides?
Old 10-18-2013, 05:01 AM
Suaveat69
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dmuellenberg
The reason this forum is free is because of supporting vendors and their ads. It's not that difficult to skip over the ads.
The reason the vendors are paying is BECAUSE of the members. If there were no members then they would not pay to sponsor a low traffic site. It goes both ways!
Old 10-18-2013, 03:58 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by FRChilln
Too much Forum Sponsor Adds in here. Thought I was in the C6 Parts Catagory... Just my .02...
That part of the rules hasn't changed since you became a member. They're here so forum members have a choice of whether they become paying supporting members or not - got to pay the bills somehow.

If you think you see a forum vendor that's not following the rules, use the red triangle icon under their username to report the post or thread.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:55 PM
darr3239
Instructor

Rules? I think that's the issue, in that there doesn't seem to be any restricting vendors to the vendor only forum. In fact, it appears their posting in other forums is encouraged. Again, I see the point and get why it's going on.

Guys are just used to other websites where the vendors aren't promoting their products in non-sales related forums. Many websites strictly enforce their rules of keeping vendors in their own forum, and likewise restrict members from promoting anyone's products in other forums. I've many times seen posts where members chastise vendors/members for promoting a product in the wrong forum. In fact, some administrators take it to the point of warning the offenders with suspension from their website, if it continues to occur. It seems to work for them, and the ones I frequent are very successful websites.

I haven't been on the website long enough to demand anyone to change anything that may have been going on for years. It appears I'm not the only one noticing the issue however.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:52 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

The rules for the new vendor only forums are still under discussion by IB folks. If/when they decide on rules changes, they'll let us know. For now, the old rules for vendors in other forums are still in effect.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:59 PM
My 07 Z
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Suaveat69
The reason the vendors are paying is BECAUSE of the members. If there were no members then they would not pay to sponsor a low traffic site. It goes both ways!

I've been thinking the same thing as OP

I counted it one night and they were close to 43% of the posts in the Z06 section

And doing a quick count tonight
28 threads out of 70 on page one
That's 40%.
Pretty excessive in my opinion. Especially when you see 3-4 threads in a row by the same vendor... Just post all your new "on sale" @#$% in one thread and be done with it
Old 10-19-2013, 05:44 PM
Bruce954
Instructor

Retarded amount of adds here, I agree.

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie

DH
Your sig is ridiculous big. Mod should have handled that by now. Nobody gives a s*** about all that.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:34 PM
chrisfromalbany
Instructor

Originally Posted by My 07 Z
:\
And doing a quick count tonight
28 threads out of 70 on page one
That's 40%.
Pretty excessive in my opinion. Especially when you see 3-4 threads in a row by the same vendor...

I'm showing almost 50% sales ad threads tonight..

Last edited by chrisfromalbany; 10-19-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:38 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dmuellenberg
The reason this forum is free is because of supporting vendors and their ads. It's not that difficult to skip over the ads.
And please learn how to spell "ad".
Old 10-19-2013, 06:59 PM
chrisfromalbany
Instructor

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
And please learn how to spell "ad".
Old 10-19-2013, 07:18 PM
Ensoniq
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An awful lot of non supporting members, including me.

Maybe if more people bought memberships...

I think I'll do that right now!
Old 10-19-2013, 07:50 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce954
Retarded amount of adds here, I agree.

Your sig is ridiculous big. Mod should have handled that by now. Nobody gives a s*** about all that.
Well I really appreciate your input. However, our local guys that participate in actually driving their cars might disagree. Acknowledging our sponsors who make our track days more enjoyable is the least I can do as a board member.

Please feel free to use the ignore function, I won't mind at all

DH
Old 10-19-2013, 08:24 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I have never seen comments and discussion on this topic survive to anywhere near this many posts ??!!

My opinion is middle of the road. Like anything else, each supporting vendor handles posting differently on this forum. I have no issue with, and often appreciate an occasional thread by a vendor introducing new products, announcing a sale, providing inventory status and the like. With some frequency they provide information which I otherwise would not be aware of. I can benefit from their knowledge without having to read through other Sections.

I do take issue with those that constantly clog up Sections with their relentless and often repetitive Threads/Posts. Those who continuously bump the same old thread are very irritating and too lazy to compose a new Thread, imho. Several of the vendor threads that are being currently bumped are months and months old.

I respect that the supporting vendors pay the bills for the Forum. I understand they are abiding by their current rules when they post as they are. I would hope some newer rules might be crafted whereby Threads and Posts by the supporting vendors in general sections, be reasonably limited in number, fresh in content with a ceiling on bumping.

I have and do support our Vendors. I appreciate and respect a great many of them.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:19 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

it's all good...what I hate is those guys that post huge photos that make you use the scrolled bar. The corporation that has become CF should look into an auto function that eliminates the big pic/scroll bar deal

Get notified of new replies

To Too much Forum Sponsor Adds in here...

Old 10-20-2013, 12:06 PM
Bruce954
Instructor

It should be limited to the parts for sale/wanted section. And their own vendor for sale section.

The ad spamming is quite silly, and is making this forum unbearable.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:44 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

A look from the vendors view has this forum as one of the highest priced venues of any car related forum. When a vendor pays the high prices (that actually subsidize low traffic forums) they have to post often to hopefully get enough volume to fit in a reasonable advertising budget.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:23 PM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
Forum ads are better than valveguide threads, anytime, anyday.
I'd agree with you, but someone would inevitably take this thread on another multi-page tangential argument based on a series of erroneous assumptions and long-winded diatribe.

There'd be name-calling, links to threads from 2011, and the usual pile-on with no fundamental changes from... well, the last three dozen threads.

The one up-side is to this subforum are the "My new to me Z!" picture threads and Howie's track videos.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Too much Forum Sponsor Adds in here...