Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Throttle body service

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 01:54 PM
hubris140
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Throttle body service

Hi guys

Took my almost 6 year old c6 Z06 in for an oil change and the service consultant recommended doing something called as a throttle body service to "clean up the carbon deposits" on the throttle body. I've never heard of this before and its around $240. Should I be doing this? I didnt see this being mentioned in the manual.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:12 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

A little intake cleaner, a rag, wipe out as best you can........
Old 10-10-2013, 03:03 PM
DaOtherOne
Melting Slicks

Received 175 Likes on 138 Posts

Old 10-10-2013, 03:24 PM
skudlw
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, you're being taken for a ride. Mine is 7 years old and my Chevy dealer never has brought this up.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:29 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ask the 'service consultant':

1. Is there an extra charge for the K-Y?

2. Will you respect me afterwards?
Old 10-10-2013, 06:06 PM
JwT
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark200X
Ask the 'service consultant':

1. Is there an extra charge for the K-Y?

2. Will you respect me afterwards?
Your dead wrong on this one Mark. Everyone knows the kiss should be first... the kiss is always first..... then the K-Y. Finally and sadly .....no they won't respect you afterwards.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:34 AM
billcar9999
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is to address the coking (oil residue) issue mentioned in the service manual. Coking can cause rough idle problems. See 9-190, throttle learn section of the GM service manual. The service is basically the BG fuel system service that injects cleaner through the throttle body and cleans the throttle by, intake and valves. You can do the same thing with a $35 kit from Pep Boys.

Another approach is to inject SeaFoam through the brake booster vacuum line. This method doesn't clean up the throttle body. Adding seafoam or a similar product to your fuel will keep the valves cleaned up. You can clean the throttle body with carb cleaner.

In my case, I had to remove the throttle body after cleaning the system (Pep Boys kit) to finish cleaning it up. The throttle body hadn't ever been cleaned before and was still dirty in certain areas.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:48 AM
Oleman
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

The dealer I use gets a lot of people for this. Heard of this over a year ago what is funny is that the service advisors all run a fuel treatment in their own vehicles.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:03 AM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Funny.. I went to a local parts department asking for GM throttle body cleaner, p/n 12378550, and was told that they don't recommend cleaning it.

I just bought some at AZ..
Old 10-14-2013, 07:36 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by billcar9999
This is to address the coking (oil residue) issue mentioned in the service manual. Coking can cause rough idle problems. See 9-190, throttle learn section of the GM service manual. The service is basically the BG fuel system service that injects cleaner through the throttle body and cleans the throttle by, intake and valves. You can do the same thing with a $35 kit from Pep Boys.

Another approach is to inject SeaFoam through the brake booster vacuum line. This method doesn't clean up the throttle body. Adding seafoam or a similar product to your fuel will keep the valves cleaned up. You can clean the throttle body with carb cleaner.

In my case, I had to remove the throttle body after cleaning the system (Pep Boys kit) to finish cleaning it up. The throttle body hadn't ever been cleaned before and was still dirty in certain areas.
Well yes, if your throttle body is dirty to the point that the residue could affect airflow then it should be cleaned.

In this instance it appeared, at least on the surface, to be a case of the shop adding this unscheduled procedure to anyone who walks in the door. Had it been offered to me, I would have asked:
"Is the throttle body dirty?"
If the answer had consisted of stuttering then I think we know what was going on
Old 10-14-2013, 08:17 PM
SUPERCRUZ
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by billcar9999

This is all very good advice and I personally recommend the BG products. That said, you can usually just pull the air intake and take a clean tee shirt or rag and spray the throttle body down with some air induction cleaner. Then wipe the throttle body opening and throttle plate. Carefully tilt the throttle plate open and spray induction cleaner on both sides and wipe clean with a soft rag. I do not recommend carb cleaner as it could damage the plastic coating they use on most throttle plates these days. Stick with air induction cleaner. There is a difference and they both can be bought at your local parts store.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:35 PM
Nino S
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Throttle bodies with miles will have carbon build up on any motor. I do mine on all of my cars every other oil change. Takes 30 minutes to do on your own with a beer in hand. Most dealers charge one hour of labor plus the cost of the BG kit. Varies from dealer to deal from $140-$280.

Get notified of new replies

To Throttle body service

Quick Reply: [Z06] Throttle body service