Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken
View Poll Results: Is the LS7 losing desirability
Yes
26.98%
No
73.49%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 215. You may not vote on this poll

[Z06] Is the LS7 losing it's desirability?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 08:39 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
No.

It's still desired as one of the, if not the best track car you can buy for less than $100k. Used. This comes from professional Porsche drivers that teach at the Porsche driving school, ex-racers from Grand Am and such mostly.

To have a better track car than a C6Z06, you'd need to be in a Challenge or Stradale Ferrari, or a GT3RS Porsche or something like that.

It may be losing popularity among the bling and showy crowd, but the C6 is older now, not an exotic, and the z06 has been surpassed by the zr1. But there's a whole host of performance minded people that love them, and a whole group of people who love the nostalgia of a 427 cu in engine.
Good post.
Originally Posted by FrankTank
This thread is retarted who the *** cares , OP doesn't even own a Z any more , why waste the time .
Old 09-28-2013, 08:42 PM
TheDingo
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I feel that the C6Z, if anything, will be more desired later on down the road because of the 427. I feel that we won't see big cube motors like this again in the Corvette.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:16 PM
97Black
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankTank
This thread is retarted who the *** cares , OP doesn't even own a Z any more , why waste the time .
Pot stirrer?
Old 09-28-2013, 09:16 PM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 794 Likes on 538 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I was out driving the Z07 yesterday and virtually every guy that saw the car stopped and looked; it turns heads everywhere. No problem of becoming less relevant.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:36 PM
DON T.
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Too-Fast
I was out driving the Z07 yesterday and virtually every guy that saw the car stopped and looked; it turns heads everywhere. No problem of becoming less relevant.
just because the new C7 has arrived does not mean our C6Zs have lost any luster. I still turn my head for C5s and on down the line. We are a very important part of corvette history. And allways will be.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:25 PM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 794 Likes on 538 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by DON T.
just because the new C7 has arrived does not mean our C6Zs have lost any luster. I still turn my head for C5s and on down the line. We are a very important part of corvette history. And allways will be.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:54 PM
User24
Instructor

Desirable in the present, but will start to loose desirability in the next few years. Other available options, such as next gen lighter/faster pony cars, new z06 version, guarantee this.

Then at some point, collectible value overtakes performance value. If you are still alive.

If the community has not figured things out yet, it likely never will. Then with an old vintage car that is not daily driven, debating finer points on cause/reliability will be pointless.

If you are looking for an exit point, now would be the time.

Knowing the mentality of z06 drivers, there will be a large exodus once average pony cars pull away at stoplights. Remember how worried the community was over the 2013 GT500, soon to be the old stang generation? Maybe we are 1 or 2 generations away from that point?

Last edited by User24; 09-29-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:49 PM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

Yes
Old 09-29-2013, 10:15 PM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The older a car/platform gets, the more "out of date" it gets. Styling, performance metrics, aesthetics all change - and fewer people will find them desirable for a variety of reasons.

The Z06 will continue to be a great package, but as with virtually all other cars - sans the GT40? - it will depreciate with time as fewer and fewer people are willing to shell out the cash for one relative to some other offering.

I think the "427" will always have a nostalgic appeal, but the hassles of owning a low-volume, expensive niche two-seater that's well out of warranty will only be viable for a few fortunate (or brave) individuals.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:21 PM
yellowzron
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 334 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Random84
The older a car/platform gets, the more "out of date" it gets. Styling, performance metrics, aesthetics all change - and fewer people will find them desirable for a variety of reasons.

The Z06 will continue to be a great package, but as with virtually all other cars - sans the GT40? - it will depreciate with time as fewer and fewer people are willing to shell out the cash for one relative to some other offering.

I think the "427" will always have a nostalgic appeal, but the hassles of owning a low-volume, expensive niche two-seater that's well out of warranty will only be viable for a few fortunate (or brave) individuals.
Really, I guess the 67 427 vette is old and outdated? Time will only tell but I say in 15-20 years from now they will be really desirable just like the old 427 corvettes.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:06 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by yellowzron
Really, I guess the 67 427 vette is old and outdated? Time will only tell but I say in 15-20 years from now they will be really desirable just like the old 427 corvettes.
Old? Yes. Outdated? Yes. Collectible and desirable? H$ll yes.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:25 PM
427CRM2143
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
Between valve/valve guide issues, clutch issues, and other minor issues, is the LS7 loosing its desirability?
No. Not for me anyway... Why I bought this car. After seeing my first C7 in the flesh today, it just reinforced my decision.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:21 PM
ghoust
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will not touch a C7 simply based on it's looks...so for me and I am assuming for others who are in the same boat, the C6 Z06 will continue to be desirable at least until the C8 comes out with a more appealing design.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:53 PM
BLUEMEANIE
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default first and not the last

love the ls7 !
Old 10-01-2013, 07:58 AM
msnbound
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the ls7 in my zo6! I hope to pass it on to my unborn son someday....... I wish my own dad thought like that!
Old 10-01-2013, 11:13 AM
Bud Mitchum
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ghoust
I will not touch a C7 simply based on it's looks...so for me and I am assuming for others who are in the same boat, the C6 Z06 will continue to be desirable at least until the C8 comes out with a more appealing design.
I have to agree with you ghoust. IMHO, the looks of the last few generations of the Corvette have gotten better each year, right up to and including the C6. Unfortunately the C7 did not continue the trend. Very disappointed.

That was reason enough to buy a C6, but as soon as I learned there may never be another LS7, I began the search for my new 2013 ZO6 and I couldn't be happier. The engine is what made this car so desirable to me. Do I track it......no. Do I drag race it......no. If I did, I would spend the money to enhance it's power and dependability like I would any factory car that I would want to race. But I don't, so I won't.

So, in response to the thread title, "Is the LS7 losing it's desirability", for those that had mechanical failures, probably so. For the masses, the 427 will never lose it's desirability and unless GM goes back to offering the 427, the value of Corvettes with these engines will remain high.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:52 AM
Kingspoke
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

I love the LS7 motor! The power is amazing and it impressive in it's delivery. A beast when you want and excellent fuel economy on the freeway when you want to cruise.

I just came out of a AMG E63 with the M156 motor (6.3 lt), and I would take the LS7 anyday over the M156, which was built specifically for the AMG (handbuilt N.A. engine also) cars.

The M156 had been twice named "Best Performance Engine of the Year". By the way MB faced a class action lawsuit in 2011 for alleged valve train defects.

G.M. IMO had a great motor and allowed it's reputation to be tarnished by not jumping on the valve guild issue, trying to do the Corporated Board room denial, rather than immediately addressing the issue(s) and addressing customer concerns, during a down economy.

Now the motor goes in the Z28 and I doubt G.M. would be doing so if they had any concerns of reliabilty. JMHO

Get notified of new replies

To Is the LS7 losing it's desirability?

Old 10-01-2013, 12:04 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Kingspoke
I love the LS7 motor! The power is amazing and it impressive in it's delivery. A beast when you want and excellent fuel economy on the freeway when you want to cruise.

I just came out of a AMG E63 with the M156 motor (6.3 lt), and I would take the LS7 anyday over the M156, which was built specifically for the AMG (handbuilt N.A. engine also) cars.

The M156 had been twice named "Best Performance Engine of the Year". By the way MB faced a class action lawsuit in 2011 for alleged valve train defects.

G.M. IMO had a great motor and allowed it's reputation to be tarnished by not jumping on the valve guild issue, trying to do the Corporated Board room denial, rather than immediately addressing the issue(s) and addressing customer concerns, during a down economy.

Now the motor goes in the Z28 and I doubt G.M. would be doing so if they had any concerns of reliabilty. JMHO
I would be VERY surprised if they built >1k Camaro's with the LS7. Those will be exclusive track cars. By my understanding, not street legal.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:17 PM
TheDingo
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by User24
Desirable in the present, but will start to loose desirability in the next few years. Other available options, such as next gen lighter/faster pony cars, new z06 version, guarantee this.

Then at some point, collectible value overtakes performance value. If you are still alive.

If the community has not figured things out yet, it likely never will. Then with an old vintage car that is not daily driven, debating finer points on cause/reliability will be pointless.

If you are looking for an exit point, now would be the time.

Knowing the mentality of z06 drivers, there will be a large exodus once average pony cars pull away at stoplights. Remember how worried the community was over the 2013 GT500, soon to be the old stang generation? Maybe we are 1 or 2 generations away from that point?
No matter how much power they throw at the Mustang, they're still cows that can't turn. Bring on the future Gen stangs. I'll enjoy leaving them in the bends even more.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:28 PM
Kingspoke
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by tim414
I would be VERY surprised if they built >1k Camaro's with the LS7. Those will be exclusive track cars. By my understanding, not street legal.
Go to 5:59 regarding street use. 11:15, Plans on building only 1500 per year!

Last edited by Kingspoke; 10-01-2013 at 12:40 PM. Reason: add line

Quick Reply: [Z06] Is the LS7 losing it's desirability?