Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Extended Warranty..Would You?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 09:47 AM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Extended Warranty..Would You?

For the Z06 owners out there who just purchase theirs used. Would you or did you take advantage of an extended warranty? Trying to weigh my options here whether or not I should get 1. If you did get 1 where/ and who was it through? I know everyone recommends GMPP, but who does GMPP go through?
Old 09-11-2013, 10:16 AM
zdonner
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased mine from CarMax, and got the warranty with it. I almost decided against it but I went over the fine print and had their manager answer my hypotheticals.

The way it's worded is that it covers any factory part that's not classified as wearable (Clutch, brakes, bulbs.. etc) but is not voided by installing anything aftermarket like the factory warranty.

IE: If I install a cam, but a rod bearing goes and a rod exists the block, I get a new engine less the cam.

IE: If transmission lets go and I have a twin disk clutch, I get a new transmission.

So since they word it as such it seemed worth while.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:19 AM
conner.mcgrath
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mine is through warranty solutions
the org owner purchased a 8yr 120k mile warranty
I transferred it to me ...... But I plan on keeping mine bone stock
warranty solutions extended warranty can only be purchased through a dealer AFAIK

if you plan to mod past intake and exhaust I would say no ......

If not its 2-5k now for peace of mind / or 12k if you drop a valve on your own

The org owner already had the cams / master cylinder / cats / and drivers door pad replaced

it was only a 100$ deductible each time
Old 09-11-2013, 10:27 AM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by zdonner
I purchased mine from CarMax, and got the warranty with it. I almost decided against it but I went over the fine print and had their manager answer my hypotheticals.

The way it's worded is that it covers any factory part that's not classified as wearable (Clutch, brakes, bulbs.. etc) but is not voided by installing anything aftermarket like the factory warranty.

IE: If I install a cam, but a rod bearing goes and a rod exists the block, I get a new engine less the cam.

IE: If transmission lets go and I have a twin disk clutch, I get a new transmission.

So since they word it as such it seemed worth while.
Thats thing theres all these little BS things you have to watch out for. I went to a chevy dealership, and they directed me to fidelity, which I guess handles their extended warranty.

I have a 2007 Z0^ w/ 27xxx miles.

Platinum Coverage-
72mon/72k/100 ded/@$3590--359 down and 18 payments of $179.50

60mon/60k/100ded/@$3100--310 down and 18 paymnets of $155.00

These were the ones that they recommended
Old 09-11-2013, 10:41 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Most after market warranty's are no good if you try to use them they want to see every service record receipts. If you can't produce you loose go with GMPP for peace of mind.
Depends on where you live Fitchner in Montana has best prices they are on forum.
z51vett
Doug
Old 09-11-2013, 10:47 AM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by z51vett
Most after market warranty's are no good if you try to use them they want to see every service record receipts. If you can't produce you loose go with GMPP for peace of mind.
Depends on where you live Fitchner in Montana has best prices they are on forum.
z51vett
Doug
Dennis is definitely the best and has the best prices...doesn't matter where you live as it is done via the Forum
Old 09-11-2013, 11:41 AM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by PatriotZ
Dennis is definitely the best and has the best prices...doesn't matter where you live as it is done via the Forum
Do you have Dennis' info so I can see what his prices are?
Old 09-11-2013, 11:59 AM
Pinski 1
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I just got my 09 with 17 k miles at a Chevy dealer and opted for the GMPP 3yr/24k mile $100 ded bumper to bumper warranty. It cost me $1600 I didn't think that was bad.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:22 PM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by Pinski 1
I just got my 09 with 17 k miles at a Chevy dealer and opted for the GMPP 3yr/24k mile $100 ded bumper to bumper warranty. It cost me $1600 I didn't think that was bad.
I saw the gmpp stuf and they look pretty legit. Im deciding on which 1 to get-Major/value/basic. From the looks of it, theyre pretty much the same. I need to know if they cover the master/slave cylinder though..

What did you pick?

http://www.gmprotectionplan.com/ourproducts.html
Old 09-11-2013, 01:09 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,525 Likes on 2,606 Posts

Originally Posted by Pinski 1
My 09 w/24K on it thru Ficthner GMPP 4yr/32K miles, $0 deductible was $1400 last year. Some states Ficthner can't sell in now because those states claim it is an insurance product and want the seller registered as an insurance agent.

If you get the GMPP from a local dealer, negotiate hard on the price and you can get quite a bit knocked off it. Usually for the GMPP the car must be in its 3/36 warranty so your 09 may not qualify. Some local dealers have sold the GMPP MajorGuard after the 3/36.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:23 PM
chrisfromalbany
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rupert pupkin
I saw the gmpp stuf and they look pretty legit. Im deciding on which 1 to get-Major/value/basic. From the looks of it, theyre pretty much the same. I need to know if they cover the master/slave cylinder though..

What did you pick?

http://www.gmprotectionplan.com/ourproducts.html
so which one are people taking?
Old 09-11-2013, 02:47 PM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

I personally would take the value guard, just becasue I could fix some of the parts that gets broken ie; springs/shocks/power windows etc. Very similar coverages as the major, but would want to see what the "many more" parts cover. If you take the basic, then the "major" components like engine/trans etc are covered.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:52 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

After the valve guide wear issue I had to pay to fix, I would defintely get the GMPP extended warranty.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:04 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

I have had a motor replaced on my 94 Corvette with a non GMPP extended warranty. So they are not all necessarily "bad". Particularly if you can't get GMPP.

My dealer did want to help, so they went to bat for me when the warranty rep came in.

At $4200 for an extended warranty on my BMW M3 from 05, I decided to not do it. But the big problem there was the SMG and its pump which was about $3500 to replace.

With us the $3-4K is protecting you against a $18-20k new motor charge. Given that risk, I would certainly buy it if you can.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:56 PM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by pkincy
I have had a motor replaced on my 94 Corvette with a non GMPP extended warranty. So they are not all necessarily "bad". Particularly if you can't get GMPP.

My dealer did want to help, so they went to bat for me when the warranty rep came in.

At $4200 for an extended warranty on my BMW M3 from 05, I decided to not do it. But the big problem there was the SMG and its pump which was about $3500 to replace.

With us the $3-4K is protecting you against a $18-20k new motor charge. Given that risk, I would certainly buy it if you can.
Now the issue is..which 1 and who can give me the best deal on 1. Called several dealerships already and waiting to see how much.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:05 PM
GlennSullivan
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

For the Z06 owners out there who just purchase theirs used. Would you or did you take advantage of an extended warranty? Trying to weigh my options here whether or not I should get 1. If you did get 1 where/ and who was it through? I know everyone recommends GMPP, but who does GMPP go through?
I think it depends if you lease or buy, how long you intend to keep your vehicle and if you are going to mod the vehicle or not. I always buy vehicles, tend to keep then for many years and generally do not mod them.

When I purchase a new vehicle I do not purchase the extended warranty at that time as there is no reason to, you have until the end of the new vehicle warranty to purchase the extended warranty with no penalty. That way if for some reason we want to sell the vehicle in the first couple of years because you don't like it, it gets wrecked or whatever you do not have this additional investment.

Somewhere short of 30,000 miles or the 3rd year of the primary warranty (whichever comes first) I purchase the extended warranty, I always buy the manufacturers best offering, and always extend it out as far out as they are willing to go (usually 7/70).

For our GM vehicles I have always purchased through Dennis Fitchner of Fitchner Chevy (a forum supporter) who has always provided good advice and a great price.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:25 PM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by GlennSullivan
I think it depends if you lease or buy, how long you intend to keep your vehicle and if you are going to mod the vehicle or not. I always buy vehicles, tend to keep then for many years and generally do not mod them.

When I purchase a new vehicle I do not purchase the extended warranty at that time as there is no reason to, you have until the end of the new vehicle warranty to purchase the extended warranty with no penalty. That way if for some reason we want to sell the vehicle in the first couple of years because you don't like it, it gets wrecked or whatever you do not have this additional investment.

Somewhere short of 30,000 miles or the 3rd year of the primary warranty (whichever comes first) I purchase the extended warranty, I always buy the manufacturers best offering, and always extend it out as far out as they are willing to go (usually 7/70).

For our GM vehicles I have always purchased through Dennis Fitchner of Fitchner Chevy (a forum supporter) who has always provided good advice and a great price.
Im thinking of getting a 3 year warranty/36k miles, just becasue after that, I will be modding the car.

Get notified of new replies

To Extended Warranty..Would You?

Old 09-12-2013, 08:01 AM
GlennSullivan
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

Im thinking of getting a 3 year warranty/36k miles, just becasue after that, I will be modding the car.
I'm not sure what GM's position is on cars that are already out of warranty, as I have never let one of mine run out and try to then add the coverage back in. Contact Dennis and ask.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:17 AM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by GlennSullivan
I'm not sure what GM's position is on cars that are already out of warranty, as I have never let one of mine run out and try to then add the coverage back in. Contact Dennis and ask.
I contacted a local dealer and he said max would be 36/36 for 2700 I believe. Contacted another dealer and he said the same thing that you're saying about gm not being able to cover it bc it's outside man warranty. I left VMs on 4 other dealers to call me back.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:02 AM
chrisfromalbany
Instructor

I contacted a local dealer and he said max would be 36/36 for 2700 I believe. Contacted another dealer and he said the same thing that you're saying about gm not being able to cover it bc it's outside man warranty. I left VMs on 4 other dealers to call me back.
so any 07 or 06 Z06 you pick up you can't get a warranty from GM on? I thinking if bought a 06 or 07 from a chevy dealer what options you have for gettting additional warranty from them on the point of sale.

Last edited by chrisfromalbany; 09-12-2013 at 09:22 AM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Extended Warranty..Would You?