Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Just can't take it anymore!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 08:41 PM
greatone61
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where are you located?

Originally Posted by HorsePowerAddicts
-C6 Z06 Head rebuild
-Remove and re-install cylinder heads
-REV stainless steel exhaust valves
-Inspect and tumble polish intake valves
-16 Bronze valve guides
-BTR dual spring kit(titanium retainers)
-Resurfacing cylinder heads(min unless tuning)
-Multi angle valve job
-Machining and assembling heads
-GM MLS head gaskets
-GM head bolts
-Mobile one oil change
-AcDelco oil filter

All ends up being under $2500. If you want to take advantage of milling .020"-.030" then dyno tuning is required and is extra.

PM me if there are any more questions. I don't want to change directions of this thread.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:43 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by lilredvette05
I would just buy what I really want, if it's a C7, C6, C6Z, or whatever. Don't let this forum scare you away from a great car!! I got my heads fixed for that piece of mind but I have a friend that's got 40k+ without any problems and it runs flawlessly!! Point is if you really,really want a C6Z I'd buy it and never look back cause you will always have that what if in your head.
You can always upgrade down the road. When and if you get the heads redone just slap a good cam in it along with LT and call it a day
How far down the road should he go before deciding to fix his heads after his purchase? A guy that lives in a small town close to me purchased a used Z06. He hadn't had it very long when it dropped a valve and destroyed his engine. He had purchased an aftermarket warranty(over $3,000) but he is now fighting with them as they don't want to pony up. A $2,500 to $5,200 head job could have saved him a bunch of money if the warranty company doesn't pay up.

Sure, a bunch of Z06 owners will drive their cars and never have a problem, but sticking your head in the sand, and saying it won't happen to me, could be very costly.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:44 PM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy the C7 - you'll have more fun tracking it under warranty than worrying about a used Z06 you might have to fix on your own.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:54 PM
Adam_W
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If buying now and want a C6 Z06 over a C7, I say just pay the $3K for the head/valve work, end of story, drive with confidence into the sunset.

If you don't really need the mild increase in power and performance of C6 Z06 then get a newer C7. Let's be honest, most people don't track their cars and just drive them around town and like the occasional spirited acceleration. The interior of the C7 is nicer and you get the full warranty, which you will probably need with the first production run of the C7.

If you'd rather have more power than a C7 and money is a consideration, consider a low miles used C6 base or C6 GS and add a centrifugal supercharger and whatever supporting mods. That's a great value and if I could do over again, perhaps I would have gone this route over a used Z06, since I don't track my car and have realized I just like having a torque monster. The LS3 lends itself better to supercharging than the LS7, and is cheaper to boot.

If you need the added power/performance, and have the PATIENCE and money, then wait a few years for a new C7 Z06.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:33 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Your name is djcadillac...go get a CTS-V and stop worring about what vette to buy.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:21 AM
djcadillac
Instructor

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Your name is djcadillac...go get a CTS-V and stop worring about what vette to buy.
CTS-V, lol, Ill pass!
Old 08-10-2013, 12:29 AM
djcadillac
Instructor

Originally Posted by Adam_W
If buying now and want a C6 Z06 over a C7, I say just pay the $3K for the head/valve work, end of story, drive with confidence into the sunset.
After all the input, you have all helped me make my decision. The Z is the car that I have had my eyes on and I hate to just give up on it. With the right car and a little work, sounds like piece of mind is possible. I am going to buy a used Z then just fix it immediately.

If I am lucky enough to find the right one, the previous owner may have already taken care of it. I love the new styling and interior of the C7 but the stock motor will probably bore me in a short period of time. Seems like so much is already out there for the C6Z so it just makes more sense for me!
Old 08-10-2013, 01:04 AM
BSheppard
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my C6Z in 2008 and have loved it over the years. I paid my $ and had the heads fixed. If it was stolen/crashed or vanished tomorrow, I would buy another Z06 and fix the heads again. Not a big deal. the car is just so good at everything. I have owned MANY sports cars and still own a 911, Nissan Z, Viper along with several other sports cars but none of them do what the Z does. Just a great car.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:06 AM
djcadillac
Instructor

Originally Posted by BSheppard
I bought my C6Z in 2008 and have loved it over the years. I paid my $ and had the heads fixed. If it was stolen/crashed or vanished tomorrow, I would buy another Z06 and fix the heads again. Not a big deal. the car is just so good at everything. I have owned MANY sports cars and still own a 911, Nissan Z, Viper along with several other sports cars but none of them do what the Z does. Just a great car.
Very good to know, thanks for sharing!
Old 08-10-2013, 01:51 AM
rockinSeat
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts

My advice is buy a car under warranty and have the wiggle test performed at a dealer that is knowledgable about the issue. If the car has the valve issue, you get new heads replaced for free under warranty. If the car is fine, then check the heads again when warranty is almost up. Then either extend the warranty or have the heads redone as so many on here have. Or don't worry about it and check your heads every 5k miles.

I have an 07Z and I love it. I test-drove a 12 GS and I hated it. Felt like a fast minivan. IMO, the Z is worth the extra maintenance.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:56 AM
djcadillac
Instructor

Originally Posted by rockinSeat
My advice is buy a car under warranty and have the wiggle test performed at a dealer that is knowledgable about the issue. If the car has the valve issue, you get new heads replaced for free under warranty. If the car is fine, then check the heads again when warranty is almost up. Then either extend the warranty or have the heads redone as so many on here have. Or don't worry about it and check your heads every 5k miles.
Do you know if they replace them with the original equipment that failed in the first place or do they use aftermarket parts that are of better caliper?
Old 08-10-2013, 07:24 AM
mulalleybs
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by djcadillac
I was dead set on purchasing a Z06 for the last year but after I have read story after story of valve issues on here I have just changed my mind. Will someone talk me back into it. The Z06 just seems to be more of a beast than the new C7 (Top Speed and acceleration) but I just do not not seem to see these issues with the LS3. Supposedly the LT1 is based on that platform which makes me feel more comfortable. As we all know though, time will tell.

With the amount of complaints, this seems as if it should be a recall with so many defective LS7's. If you were me and going to purchase a vette in april 2014, would you get a used z06 or a new c7?

Im sure this has been covered before but with so many unsatisfied owners, do you expect a much more reliable platform in the LT1?
Option C: You could buy a car off corvetteforum that already has the heads replaced. This will result in a car that is probably the same price as a stock one and yet you don't have to come out of pocket to do it yourself.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:36 AM
zcarbon
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Just Buy it, You know you want too!
Old 08-10-2013, 07:47 AM
djcadillac
Instructor

Originally Posted by zcarbon
Just Buy it, You know you want too!
You have no idea. I have been toyless this whole summer. Its killing me!
Old 08-10-2013, 08:19 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Just get a Z06 and don't worry about it. Lots of Z06s out there without problems. Look at getting into the newest one you can afford and enjoy it. Don't let interweb hype persuade your decision. You want one...go get it. It's one of the best performance cars you can buy for the money.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:58 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,793 Posts

C7 all the way.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:28 AM
onargaroberts
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Based on your original post I'd say you probably shouldn't own a C6 Z06. I don't think you'll be happier not owning one but it doesn't sound like you'll get the enjoyment out of the car if you do own one. Might be best to seek professional help on this one.

Get notified of new replies

To Just can't take it anymore!

Old 08-10-2013, 10:10 AM
m.whitmell
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

If you bought a late model Porsche you would be concerned about engine replacement if the ims bearing let go ......even more $$$$$$, a Gallardo with a clutch that doesn't last 20000 miles...I talked to someone who spent $150000 for a new clutch and fluid change, lots of comparibles with a new set of heads at less than $3000......I'd go with the Z06.....I have an 08 with only 14000 miles and is very quiet and has never been back to a dealer....thank God...
Old 08-10-2013, 10:32 AM
djcadillac
Instructor

Originally Posted by m.whitmell
If you bought a late model Porsche you would be concerned about engine replacement if the ims bearing let go ......even more $$$$$$, a Gallardo with a clutch that doesn't last 20000 miles...I talked to someone who spent $150000 for a new clutch and fluid change, lots of comparibles with a new set of heads at less than $3000......I'd go with the Z06.....I have an 08 with only 14000 miles and is very quiet and has never been back to a dealer....thank God...
Very good point! For the money, you can't go wrong!
Old 08-10-2013, 10:36 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

The heads can be fixed to your specs where are you located at. Oh and I know of at least 2 zr1's with dropped valves. The c7 will be hard to get more horse power out of stock power plant Cam will be diff so till someone comes out with it and the tune is locked I'm told and heads are going to a problem also no after market yet hedders either. That being said you can have a tune hedders and intake change and head change on the z06 it can be worked on right away if you become bored with 505hp. The c7 power plant will take a while for the after market to catchup.
z51vett
Doug
I drive a 2012 bought new z06 when my 36/36 is close to being up I will buy extended GMPP warranty to cover my but on the head deal till then I will drive and enjoy wanted a
z07 but that was to much of a reach for a retire.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Just can't take it anymore!