Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Track Addicts Support Group...Come inside.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 10:22 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Default Track Addicts Support Group...Come inside.

Hello, my name is Lee and I'm addicted to the track

Its all I can think about it! I can't even work, because I want to be on the track all the time....OMG. I'm even lining up a set of track wheels, slicks, got 2 more track days scheduled....I even wear my helmet and get competitive as hell with my 6 year old playing Need for Speed on the Wii U.....my gf says I need to seek professional help.

Ok....I'm done. Here's obligatory pic.....

Last edited by LFZ; 08-08-2013 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:15 PM
duhveed
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My name is David and I too want to be on the track at all times lol

Got 2 events coming up in Sept and Oct can't wait for those
Old 08-08-2013, 12:20 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

David.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:53 PM
ibleedgreen
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I would like to say hello, my name is Chris and I'm a recovering track addict. Formerly sportbikes and my 944. It's been 3 years and I've been living the clean life. Since buying my C6Z I'm not sure how long I can go without a relapse.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:01 PM
kenw
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

Would be and total addict if I could afford it.

I can only afford 2 or 3 HPDE fixes per year and look forward to them.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:27 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

So true. I started with autox (did 50 autoxs my first year in 94), and did that to excess through 97-98 and than bought a road race car and went W2W racing all over the West Coast (10 weekends/year minimum), sold the race car and built a track car. Started recovery in 07 and haven't been on a track since then. Finally sold my track car this year (and my BMW M3) and bought a Z06.

Hopefully I can stay off the racetracks with it, although Howie's videos are about to cause a relapse.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:53 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

I so want to go back (all the time) but I'll have to be content with running the Texas Mile every Fall
(can't attend the Spring event).

It is the most fun you can have with your clothes on...
Old 08-09-2013, 07:26 AM
ibleedgreen
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
I so want to go back (all the time) but I'll have to be content with running the Texas Mile every Fall
(can't attend the Spring event).

It is the most fun you can have with your clothes on...
I agree, I will be running our 1/2 mile event here but it's on a runway so I don't classify it as a track.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:19 AM
ConfusedGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

It certainly is one of the few addictions that is more addictive AND expensive than a heroin addiction. I have my next track day in 7 days, counting down the minutes.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:09 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pkincy
So true. I started with autox (did 50 autoxs my first year in 94), and did that to excess through 97-98 and than bought a road race car and went W2W racing all over the West Coast (10 weekends/year minimum), sold the race car and built a track car. Started recovery in 07 and haven't been on a track since then. Finally sold my track car this year (and my BMW M3) and bought a Z06.

Hopefully I can stay off the racetracks with it, although Howie's videos are about to cause a relapse.
That's about how my story goes. I started doing autox in 06 and ran my first track day in 2008 and I was hooked from the get go. I was using my EB C5Z at the time and sold it to buy a former T1 prepped C5Z. I bought it in 2010 and ran W2W in 2011 and 2012. I sold it just a couple of months ago to fund my dirt late model that I'm about to start racing. As much as I loved road racing, the travel commitments and costs kept me from getting where I wanted to be.

I hope to eventually get another corvette and keep it close to stock to run some HPDE's. But for now, I'm concentrating on dirt tracks.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:33 PM
spicytuna
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm both lucky and unlucky to live very far from the nearest track. Otherwise, I'm sure I'd be broke by now.

And I thought sports like skiing and skydiving were expensive!
Old 08-09-2013, 12:46 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by ConfusedGarage
It certainly is one of the few addictions that is more addictive AND expensive than a heroin addiction. I have my next track day in 7 days, counting down the minutes.
If I had the baller funds required I would be tracking my car all the time, but I just don't have the money , I would agree its more expensive than drugs !

that, and I don't have the money for any major repair if I have a mishap or whatever

oh well when I get that winning lotto ticket I will be a track junkie then
Old 08-09-2013, 03:10 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

When I was running Camaro Mustang Challenge we figured each race weekend (we had 10/year) was $1000 for travel, fuel both to get there and in the car, entry fees, motel costs and food for the weekend.

Then you had to add consumables, which is a spec series is much cheaper than non spec. I.e., we ran Toyos, which at $1000/set lasted more than 1/2 the season, vs my Fabricator who was running SCCA ITE and using $1400 of Hoosiers every weekend. We also greatly limited our rwhp with random dyno checks...I had a 39 mm restrictor plate in my 48 mm TB, so motor costs were pretty much nothing. That helps tremendously.

But you still have consumables, rotors, pads, maintenance and than the all important unknown.....Shunt repair costs. I probably had 4 major shunts in a 3 year period requiring frame and body replacement/repair.

So you don't do it without having an available budget of $20k/year. And that is spec racing. Racing something like the Z is quite a bit more expensive.

However much fun HPDE is, W2W with others literally inches to the right and left, in front and behind is an altogether different adrenalin rush. Paricularly if you get in a spec class with 30-70 (think Mazda Miata) fields so there is always someone around you to race with, no matter your skill or experience level.

And you aren't enjoying it enough if you don't have racing stripes on your car. Note the rear quarter panel. After I went upside down I left the left rear panel crumpled. It was amazing the respect I got from the newbies with the car looking like this.

Last edited by pkincy; 08-09-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:13 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 777 Likes on 506 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Default Does drag racing count?

If so then I too have a very bad problem in that people ask me what I do for a living and I respond with (and only half jokingly) "I'm a drag racer who supports his habit by working as a software developer".
Old 08-09-2013, 03:15 PM
0Johnny@MTI
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi my name is johnny, and i turn every car i own into a track rat.

Last edited by Johnny@MTI; 08-09-2013 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:09 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by spicytuna
I'm both lucky and unlucky to live very far from the nearest track. Otherwise, I'm sure I'd be broke by now.

And I thought sports like skiing and skydiving were expensive!

(horse)racing...the sport of Kings !
Old 08-09-2013, 08:36 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by pkincy

Haha, you bought a track car (Z06)

Get ready for more ACS video after tomorrows event

I'm not addicted, but I do have to go at least once a month or I find myself kicking my wife's dog

DH

Get notified of new replies

To Track Addicts Support Group...Come inside.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:16 AM
cruzin2
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LFZ
Hello, my name is Lee and I'm addicted to the track

Its all I can think about it! I can't even work, because I want to be on the track all the time....OMG. I'm even lining up a set of track wheels, slicks, got 2 more track days scheduled....I even wear my helmet and get competitive as hell with my 6 year old playing Need for Speed on the Wii U.....my gf says I need to seek professional help.

Ok....I'm done. Here's obligatory pic.....
I share your addiction and I'm not ready for recovery...

P.s. if you are running slicks, I would consider adding some additional oil scavenge / better pan or baffling of the tank as a minimum.... just my friendly $.02.

Last edited by cruzin2; 08-10-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:26 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Id definitely rather have a meth or heroin addiction since it would be easier on my bank account. Because of my track addiction, I've had to cut back on other stuff like going to strip bars, drinking house liquor instead of top shelf, cigars, etc. Glad I'm not the only one...I like the "pro racer" comment....funny.

Originally Posted by cruzin2
I share your addiction and I'm not ready for recovery...

P.s. if you are running slicks, I would consider adding some additional oil scavenge / better pan or baffling of the tank as a minimum.... just my friendly $.02.
Thanks for the advice...I plan on getting the Lingenfelter tank since I have a 08 with the smaller tank.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:31 AM
jwp2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My z06 has been in the shop for 2 months...and I am completely Jonesing. Considering stealing my daughters civic and taking it to the glen. Someone help me.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Track Addicts Support Group...Come inside.