Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] z max oil additive

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 05:16 PM
z06 driver
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default z max oil additive

Has anyone used the z max oil additive? Supposed to absorb into the metal on the internal engine parts. Sounds good but I am not sure.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:22 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Snake oil IMO...I wouldn't put that crap in my 427.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:38 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Snake oil IMO...I wouldn't put that crap in my 427.
LOL. I agree with additives, not this one though.....
Old 08-04-2013, 07:33 PM
HoustonSVT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Z max almost every time I change my oil, I have used it for several years on multiple cars. I use to have a car that used a lot of oil, started using Z Max and it quit smoking oil and the car ran so much better. I believe it works and will continue to use it. I use the oil and fuel mixture. It has been around for a long time and the crazy part is they offer you a 200, 000 mile powertrain warranty if you use it every time you change your oil or like every six months. Not sure if they still do or not though. I recommend it.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:37 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,594 Likes on 2,173 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Z-Max is snake oil. If you do some research on it you will see that they were ordered by the courts to stop making false performance claims in their advertising. I wouldn't put it in my lawn mower.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:47 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by capevettes
Z-Max is snake oil. If you do some research on it you will see that they were ordered by the courts to stop making false performance claims in their advertising. I wouldn't put it in my lawn mower.
So much for CS's credibility.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:02 PM
SUPERCRUZ
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Snake oil or not, I used it in my C5 with H/C and it dramatically quieted the valve train down in that car. I am using it in my Z. I figure with all the valve issues people are talking about, why not. It cannot hurt and may reduce the valve guide wear. Guess folks have never considered that. Do what you will, I am running it. I also use BG44K in the fuel to cut carbon deposits. Guess that is snake oil to. To each his own.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:06 PM
RoHo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran Royal Purple and Z Max in my Z since new, changed oil ever 5,000 and wondered if I was throwing away my money, however, at 20,000 + miles I thought I had better get my heads done before some thing went sideways, so I dropped it off at RMP for head and cam mod, all of my valves Were In Spec.

I asked Charlie if he thought that the RP & Z max were the reason, he said I really can't say that, it would need a whole more more study.

Do I think that's the answer, hell!! I really can't say, but I did put a bottle of in after I got it back from Charlie after he did the heads and cam. LOL
Old 08-04-2013, 09:24 PM
z06 driver
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RoHo
I ran Royal Purple and Z Max in my Z since new, changed oil ever 5,000 and wondered if I was throwing away my money, however, at 20,000 + miles I thought I had better get my heads done before some thing went sideways, so I dropped it off at RMP for head and cam mod, all of my valves Were In Spec.

I asked Charlie if he thought that the RP & Z max were the reason, he said I really can't say that, it would need a whole more more study.

Do I think that's the answer, hell!! I really can't say, but I did put a bottle of in after I got it back from Charlie after he did the heads and cam. LOL
Yeah, I don't think it will hurt, 08 z06 with 9800 miles. I currently run Redline 5w 30 with a RP oil filter, runs and drives same as new.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:04 PM
1320IN9
Le Mans Master

Received 104 Likes on 56 Posts

that stuff is crap, if anything just add a 4oz bottle of ZDDP at least that stuff really works as it's been proven.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:33 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by z06 driver
Has anyone used the z max oil additive? Supposed to absorb into the metal on the internal engine parts. Sounds good but I am not sure.
2/1/2001 -- The Federal Trade Commission has filed suit in U. S. District Court seeking to halt false and misleading advertising for zMax auto additives and has asked the court to order refunds to consumers who bought the products. The agency alleges that enhanced performance claims for the product are unsubstantiated, that tests cited to support performance claims actually demonstrated that motor oil treated with zMax produced more than twice as much bearing corrosion than motor oil alone, [...]

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2001/02/zmax1.shtm
Now you're sure
Old 08-04-2013, 11:00 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Mark200X,

Now you are asking us to believe a US Govt agency. I may take my chances with snake oil. Every time someone from the Govt tells me they are here to help me, something bad happens.

Perry
Old 08-04-2013, 11:04 PM
JWingo
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark200X
Now you're sure
We've had many conversations with our Mobile engineer on this topic. Not Z Max specifically but more additives. If the additive package is not blended correctly, the base oil will not hold the additive package in suspension. The additive package has to be blended and balanced correctly.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:10 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pkincy
Mark200X,

Now you are asking us to believe a US Govt agency. [...]
Incorrect. I am providing information. It is your choice what to do with it; I don't really have any interest in that one way or the other.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:45 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by JWingo
We've had many conversations with our Mobile engineer on this topic. Not Z Max specifically but more additives. If the additive package is not blended correctly, the base oil will not hold the additive package in suspension. The additive package has to be blended and balanced correctly.
I'm curious .......
So what happens to the additive (I presume ZDDP)? Does it float to the top or sink to the bottom? I must get move around by the flow of oil. So doesn't it get to metal surfaces it is meant to protect one way or the other?

DH
Old 08-05-2013, 11:49 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Same here. We also use Mobile products and our rotating machinery engineer hates oil additives for this reason.

I have been pretty curious and about to try Oil Extreme though. Mostly because David Vizard gives it a nod and I know he's a "show me the data" kind of guy and tests everything.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:10 PM
JWingo
Pro

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
I'm curious .......
So what happens to the additive (I presume ZDDP)? Does it float to the top or sink to the bottom? I must get move around by the flow of oil. So doesn't it get to metal surfaces it is meant to protect one way or the other?

DH
Howie,
It will be circulated but the consistency will not be at a certain PPM on a consistent basis. If it goes to the top or bottom will be dependent on the specific gravity of the additives. Blending is a complex process. Unlike just mixing it in. Mobil is stringent on this. They stress any additives must be blended during the initial process. During the initial addition of additives, the base stock combines the additives in a uniform manner which will keep them in suspension. Mixing does not blend. It actually can harm the base stock.

Get notified of new replies

To z max oil additive

Old 08-05-2013, 10:18 PM
JWingo
Pro

Originally Posted by Michael_D
Same here. We also use Mobile products and our rotating machinery engineer hates oil additives for this reason.

I have been pretty curious and about to try Oil Extreme though. Mostly because David Vizard gives it a nod and I know he's a "show me the data" kind of guy and tests everything.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:26 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Howie,
It will be circulated but the consistency will not be at a certain PPM on a consistent basis. If it goes to the top or bottom will be dependent on the specific gravity of the additives. Blending is a complex process. Unlike just mixing it in. Mobil is stringent on this. They stress any additives must be blended during the initial process. During the initial addition of additives, the base stock combines the additives in a uniform manner which will keep them in suspension. Mixing does not blend. It actually can harm the base stock.
Thanks for the insight !!

DH
Old 08-05-2013, 11:32 PM
db2xpert
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

I have two cans of STP still sitting on a shelf... for the last 30+ yrs.

Quick Reply: [Z06] z max oil additive