Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] C7 and Z06s

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 02:55 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by EViL427
I seriously doubt C6 Z06s will flood the market until the C7 Z06 (or whatever they decide to call it) is introduced. Why someone would jump ship to a $60K Vette after owning an $80-100K Vette is beyond me. The C7 base and Z51 is not aimed at us. It's aimed at the base C6, Z51 and Grand Sport owners.

I sure won't be getting rid of mine anytime soon unless something happens to my job, then it's the first thing on the chopping block.
Not enough to flood the market. With only a 1,000 produced
in 11, 12 and 13 combined the number's were in 2006-08.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:48 AM
starchedup
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoust
I agree with this. It usually takes them a couple of years to iron out the kinks in these cars.
that's ALWAYS been the case. I got the 2nd year Z06 just cause I couldn't wait any longer. Plus the idea was to get the LMB Z06 but that didnt' happen and 07 is the last year for it. Color more than anything drove my desire for a 07...

Originally Posted by pkincy
I don't think we will ever again see a 7 liter Corvette. May see one with a 1000 hp stock but it won't be a 7 liter. Motors in all cars, incl exotics, are getting smaller. Heck the ZR3 (whenever that happens, maybe in the c8) is likely to be a 1.4 liter twin turbocharged motor with 25 psi of boost making 800 hp. I think we are finished with the big motors.

That is precisely why I bought one.
I remember around the GM bailout there was news that reported GM is done with big motor cars and going smaller. No doubt to satisfy the gov't as per a stipulation with the bailout loan. I fully suspect the LS7 Z06's will INCREASE in value after taking a small dip when the C7 comes out. I have ZERO plans to get rid of my boy "CID"... He's a KEEPER!

#NATURALLYASPIRATED
#N/APOWERFORLIFE

Last edited by starchedup; 08-01-2013 at 09:02 AM.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:02 AM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbosixx
I agree. As technology advances, engines will get smaller and smaller.
And cars will get lighter--all for the good.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:03 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think we will ever again see a 7 liter Corvette. [...] I think we are finished with the big motors.

I think you're right, and that's why I bought one too
Old 08-01-2013, 10:01 AM
adamgl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GMuffley
Except the C7 isn't lighter, lol
Old 08-01-2013, 10:06 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Oops
Old 08-01-2013, 11:01 AM
THEBLACKMAMBA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DON T.
Im waiting on a new president before i buy anything else
Going to need more then that.

I really don't see the C6Z dropping a significant amount in price just because a base model C7 comes out.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:22 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by adamgl
Except the C7 isn't lighter, lol
I meant cars generally.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:17 PM
EnginerdVT
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

I agree with the idea that the C6Z will not significantly reduce in price. As these new versions come out, there are more and more nanys created for "our own protection" that take away from the driving experience. Tracking the car may be very similar with turning it all "off" but the fact is, dealers track more and more of what happens when the car drives. The car critiques our driving and tells us how we should drive for better gas mileage or better launches. Soon, we'll be sleeping when we drive, there will be no steering feel entering a corner at 80, and launching with wheelspin will be unheard of. I love that all my cylinders are one when I start the car, and this car is still in the realm of feasibility to work on and modify. Long gone are the days of pulling a motor in 2 hours and tuning about anything on your own. The C6Z is a big motor with JUST enough nanys and the ability to disable them and have a good time. No regrets here, and no C7 for this guy...
Old 08-01-2013, 08:17 PM
OJCrush08
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by crAzy03Z06
I doubt the Z's will lose that much value. There are still C5Z's out there selling all over in the 20's. Mid 20's is half of what they car was when it came out. I recall the C5Z being $52K brand new? If so then the C6Zs should stay around high 30's-40's. I don't ever see them dropping into the low low 30's let alone 20's for a long time. Dec 2012 I bought m y 06 C6Z for $40k with 20K miles on it and bone stock. I thought it was a very fair price. Guy was asking $43K at first.
I agree. Plus, now that the car has the heads made as bullet proof as possible, I am not worried too much about any C7 performance variant smoking my 3050 lb 622 h/p Z. The new car is already well over previously speculated weight target and it is likely the C7 performance variant will be FI with bigger tires, etc - adding at least 150 lbs. They will engineer some weight off, but i am guessing it will still be well over 3400 lbs.

I think that C6 Z's, built is such low numbers since 2010, and with heads done by a reputable shop, will retain good value.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:43 PM
teking
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoust
I agree with this. It usually takes them a couple of years to iron out the kinks in these cars.
2006 C6Z ..... drive it like I stole it ( lawyer bills to prove it - I know bad :-( )...... 37K ...... owned it since day one. One kink. voltage. solved. No loose hubs, no valve issues, no ejection roof ... nadda.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:55 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by OJCrush08
I agree. Plus, now that the car has the heads made as bullet proof as possible, I am not worried too much about any C7 performance variant smoking my 3050 lb 622 h/p Z. The new car is already well over previously speculated weight target and it is likely the C7 performance variant will be FI with bigger tires, etc - adding at least 150 lbs. They will engineer some weight off, but i am guessing it will still be well over 3400 lbs.

I think that C6 Z's, built is such low numbers since 2010, and with heads done by a reputable shop, will retain good value.
Guess that would depend on how future collectibles are judged on perceived value. Does fixing factory mistakes make the car more valuable or leaving as is? Guys going for the distance purposely restore cars with factory defects intact from back in the day to make the car as authentic and valuable as possible.

Love the LS7 but.....they thought 5.5 was the engine size for the C7 and it is still 6.2. Technology moves on and I have a feeling that "427" marketing will be too tempting to leave alone in the future. Hey, they thought it was all done back in the 60's, too. I don't think many of the C6s are true investments until you start talking Pratt & Miller C6RS.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:10 PM
marktsmith
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I waited to see what the C7 would look like, and what performance options there would be. Both were very lacking for me. By that time, I could no longer order the Z06 I wanted, but got lucky with 2 possible internet sales cars that met what I wanted.

I think my 2013 Z06 is the end of it's breed. Previous posts indicate several folks that see it as I do. Our 7.0 liter monsters are the last of their kind. Future performance Corvettes will use smaller motors. That is if "Government Motors" is allowed to continue performance efforts. Remember the amount of government control on the Board of Directors as part of the bail out. Even ZR1 type little animals may go bye bye.

So, the Z06 should retain interest and value for some time. It will remain to be seen if future Corvettes will have equal or greater performance abilities. I would hope so, but I'm not totally confident. Pray for continued ALMS racing participation. That will at least continue to develop suspension and driveability aspects or our great Corvettes.

Buy your Z06 ! You will enjoy it. If you can afford to look at some of the remaining 2013 cars, there are some decent deals. Just GET ONE !
Old 08-01-2013, 09:28 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GMuffley
The C7 just got heavier.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:05 AM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

every gen vette gets better. the c7z51 will stay with the c6z06. i loved my c4 , thought it was so much better than my c3. my c5 was so much better than my c4. my c6 was much better than my c5...the c7 is gonna be better than my c6
Old 08-02-2013, 10:10 AM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 794 Likes on 538 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I don't think we will ever again see a 7 liter Corvette. May see one with a 1000 hp stock but it won't be a 7 liter. Motors in all cars, incl exotics, are getting smaller. Heck the ZR3 (whenever that happens, maybe in the c8) is likely to be a 1.4 liter twin turbocharged motor with 25 psi of boost making 800 hp. I think we are finished with the big motors.

That is why I bought mine, wanted a 427.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:00 AM
CorvetteRanch
Instructor

I think the C6Zs had hit their bottom line depreciation schedule/value at around $38k for a medium mileage 06' model. I've seen some salvage rebuilt ones and 70k high mileage DD's going for low 30's on fleabay.

I sure as heck won't be trading in mine for a C7, they need more aggressive flared bodywork, and tail light redux before I purchase one. Maybe Scuderia style exhaust too. IMHO

As far as best values in sports cars the C6Z or Porsche 996/997 Turbo are as good as it gets.

Yes I said Porsche...

Get notified of new replies

To C7 and Z06s

Old 08-02-2013, 11:24 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RFZ
every gen vette gets better.
Yes but . . . . .

The C5 Z06 initially had bit less power than the C4 ZR-1, but they notched it up to the same power with the 2nd model year C5 Z06. More importantly the C5 was much lighter than the C4 so the track performance was better on that basis alone.

The base C6 at 400 HP initially had pretty much the same power as the C5 Z06's 405 HP (later exceeding it with the LS3). I don't recall any track comparisons, but I'd guess the base C6 or at least the C6 Z51 was equal to the C5 Z06.

Originally Posted by RFZ
the c7z51 will stay with the c6z06
Yeah, I don't think that is correct barring some amateur drivers. The C7 has less power and more weight. On the same spec tires I don't think your claim is going to hold water.

But we are seeing a change from recent model year upgrades -- the C7 has less power than the C6 Z06, and not much more power than the base C6. It also weighs more than the C6 Z06. So in this case the 'better' is not there in the same measure that it has been in the past. As to whatever hi perf version of the C7 they come up with, we'll just have to wait until the rubber meets the road on that.

Even the mighty C6 ZR1 has some issues with the C6 Z06, so just throwing some forced induction on a C7 might not cut it in a true apples-apples comparison....

Old 08-03-2013, 03:41 AM
Rock36
Burning Brakes

I believe people are going to continue to magazine race cars. So, that said, I think we are going to see C7 Z51 times that are pretty close or better than the early C6 Z06 handling performance numbers we saw.

Unlike the article above, most Z06s come with the standard FE4 suspension, no mag ride, no PTM, no carbon ceramic brakes, etc. The first C6Z06 tests were done on Gen 1 Goodyears as well. I believe it will be those earlier C6Z06 tests that people reference (cherry pick) when trying to compare the C7Z51 to the C6Z06. They will especially point to those tests if they are trying to convince themselves or others that the C7Z51 is "better" than a C6Z06. They definitely won't point to the Z06/Z07s to make their case for the C7Z51. Or if they do, they will note how expensive a Z06/Z07 is

The new C7 Z51 is running on Michellin Super Sport ZPs. The difference between the Michellins and the Gen 1 Goodyears is massive IMHO. I believe you can already get an idea how good the Michellin SS ZP tires are in the braking distances we are seeing published in the first C7 Z51 tests.

The good news is that many owners of otherwise stock C6Z06s can and do upgrade tires from the original Gen 1 Goodyears; however, that won't change the results of magazine tests conducted on the original OEM goodyears nearly 10 years ago.

People will compare the results of tests like these two from motortrend

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n/viewall.html

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...t/viewall.html

They will note the the 2014 C7Z51 out braked, had higher lateral accel, and was better in the MT figure eight, than the 2006 C6Z06. But like I said, I would be willing to wager that a significant reason for the comparable handling performance is simply due to how good the Michellins are over the original C6Z06 OEM tires more than anything else. I think that detail will be lost on most people. Especially those trying to justify buying a C7.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:19 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,706 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock36
I believe people are going to continue to magazine race cars. So, that said, I think we are going to see C7 Z51 times that are pretty close or better than the early C6 Z06 handling performance numbers we saw.

That's because the tires weren't the same. The Goodyear Runcraps are nothing like the Michelins. So earlier tests don't mean squat. Put Pilot Sport Cups on both cars to level the playing field, and you'll will see a completely different picture of your beloved C7. Again, the C7 is NOT targeted at the Z06. It's meant to be an improvement over the C6 Grandsport, and it is. But it's heavier and has less power than a C6Z.

Last edited by VetteVinnie; 08-03-2013 at 09:21 AM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] C7 and Z06s