Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Stock vs aftermarket shifter

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 11:07 PM
TT32VGT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Stock vs aftermarket shifter

I bought my 07 z06 used and it came with a hurst c5 shifter.. After installing a mantic clutch I'm tired of hearing the noise through the shifter and plus it's a little notchy..

Do the stock shifters keep a lot of noise in?

Also do the c6 shifters fit the z06? Are all c6 shifters the same? 07-13, c6,z06, etc? They will all work in my 07 z? All the same height?
Thanks!!!
Old 07-19-2013, 11:15 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by TT32VGT
I bought my 07 z06 used and it came with a hurst c5 shifter.. After installing a mantic clutch I'm tired of hearing the noise through the shifter and plus it's a little notchy..

Do the stock shifters keep a lot of noise in?

Also do the c6 shifters fit the z06? Are all c6 shifters the same? 07-13, c6,z06, etc? They will all work in my 07 z? All the same height?
Thanks!!!
I put an MGW and its great , I can see what everyone raves about , but I'm on stock clutch
Old 07-19-2013, 11:38 PM
yellowzron
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 334 Likes on 195 Posts

Tried few different shifters. Finally put in the MGW. The shifts are crisp and dont worry about 2 to 3 shift anymore. All I can tell you is try the MGW you wont be disappointed.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:49 PM
TT32VGT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thx for the posts, but i dont have any problems with the shifts or anything with the hurst.. i wonder if i would have probs with the stock shifter, goin from gear 2-3... hmm

im just looking to deaden the sound from the transmission and go back to that silky smooth stock feel..
but to be honest i havent felt a stock c6 z06 shifter..

Last edited by TT32VGT; 07-19-2013 at 11:51 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:02 AM
ErnieD
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'19

I use a stock shifter with an aftermarket **** that lowers the **** height by approximately one inch. This works well, shortens the throw slightly, and I prefer it to the several aftermarket shifters I've tried.

Your noise is likely getting through in one or more of the following ways:

1) Your aftermarket shifter has a solid shaft where the stock shifter has a rubber isolated shaft. That solid shaft could be propagating the noise.

2) The shifter box may be mounted with solid bushings, which will allow more noise to transmit through the shifter. Earlier Z06's had the solid bushings where the later Z06's and all of the base cars used rubber bushings to mount the shifter box.

3) Some of the standard sound insulating pads (over the top of the shifter) could have been left out when the aftermarket shifter was installed. Even if it's all there, you can add more sound deadening material if you wish. I added a piece of sound deadener (about 1/4" thick sandwich of butyl rubber bonded to a thick foam rubber) to my previous C6 coupe to reduce noise. I've forgotten the supplier of the material but you can probably locate something similar. It helped a bit.

I hope this gives you a few ideas. And yes, all the shifters are interchangeable with minor exceptions. One thing you might want to be aware of is the location of the **** mounting hole. The hole is about a centimeter higher on the later shifters -- the one's that were used with shift boots that have the chrome trim ring. I think those started being used in 2008. And, of course, as mentioned above, earlier Z06's had solidly mounted shifter boxes and later Z06's have the rubber mounted version to reduce noise and vibration.

Ernie

Last edited by ErnieD; 07-20-2013 at 02:10 AM.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:29 AM
Turbosixx
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A twin disk clutch is noisy. I say get used to it.

Get notified of new replies

To Stock vs aftermarket shifter

Quick Reply: [Z06] Stock vs aftermarket shifter