Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Bummed beyond belief

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 02:31 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Dadgum!!!! Man, that's really one heck of a dilima and really feel for the op. I will say though, I'm for getting a completely new car (if you possible can). Afterall, even though the rest of the car is new, who's putting in the new engine and do they know what they're doing? Do you trust that particular dealership with a major job like this and also checking and preparing everything else (flushing out, etc.) to make it "factory"? Then again, look how this one came from the factory . . . Hope it all works out without too much of a pain.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:52 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 383 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013 427
I believe the dealer is reputable, or at least they are large. Van Chevrolet in Scottsdale, AZ. They appear to be in constant contact with Chevy Technical Support, which I guess is the corporate advisor for larger issues like this one is turning into. The dealer so far has been very responsive and has given me a rental to use "until the issue is resolved". It would be great if I could just say, hey give me a new engine - but the LS 7's are now history with the 2014's coming out. I don't know that much about engines and all the damage that metal particles in the oil can do, but I'm sure it's serious. How much of the engine needs to be replaced to ensure I'm not getting "damaged goods"? Are we talking everything - heads, pistons, cam, etc? I'm not sure what to insist upon at this point, so any guidance would help. Thanks to all those that have posted so far! I feel like I'm in some serious do-do here.
Your situation surely sucks. But look at it this way. The dealership seems to be on your side seeing that they will provide you transportation for the duration of this ordeal (I used to work for a dealership and getting a car to use was like pulling teeth). also it isn't going to cost you anything, also you MUST document everything no matter how small.I understand how bad you must feel being a new car and all but keep your head up .it will get fixed.

Clif
Old 07-05-2013, 09:00 PM
2013 427
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP here with an update. I was contacted and told they have done a search and could find only 1 other identical car, and it is spoken for (someone has a deposit down on it). I really like the car I purchased, so this limits my options. I have not made a final decision, but leaning towards the new engine. The service manager assures me they have swapped out motors in plenty of Corvettes, and can do the job right. They have ordered a new engine, and are going to replace it whether I keep the car or get a buy-out either way. They are going to tear down the old motor to figure out exactly what went wrong, and then before installing the new one, will disassemble enough of it to make sure it does not have the same issue the first one had. I already have the extended warranty on the car so it would still be covered under that. I was assured that the swap would not show up on Carfax since is being done internally within GM, and so early in the life of the car. I was also assured we would go over every inch of the car to ensure it doesn't have a mark on it, and before giving it back to me would send it for a full detail to some high end detailer in Scottsdale (forgot the name), that many high end cars go to before they go to the Barrett Jackson car show. I'm thinking this may be my best option at this point.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:20 PM
High Altitude Vette
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

You are thinking calmer than I would for sure. If this is the car you wanted and ordered then nothing wrong with a new engine!
Sounds like they are doing what they can to work with you for sure. Sucks but could be worse.
Gary
Old 07-05-2013, 10:42 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[...] I was also assured we would go over every inch of the car to ensure it doesn't have a mark on it, and before giving it back to me would send it for a full detail to some high end detailer in Scottsdale (forgot the name), that many high end cars go to before they go to the Barrett Jackson car show. [...]
The next time you visit the dealer, carry a large pair of rubber boots with you. Hip waders, even. Explain that the BS is getting deep

Critical issues with an engine replacement in your situation is total cleanliness of the oil system. Ideally they would replace oil tank, oil cooler, all oil lines. Likely they will not replace all that (oil tank will probably be reused, and they may try to stay with the lines to that tank as well). Based on my limited understanding of the newer oil coolers you may not even have any oil-bearing lines associated with that.

Second important issue is front end alignment -- they have to take that apart to get the engine out. If you can't witness the front end realignment then I'd take it to a private shop directly afterwards and pay out of pocket to have it checked.

Last but not least, check your oil level before you leave the lot. Really.

Last edited by Mark2009; 07-05-2013 at 10:46 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:55 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

When GM replaced my motor under warranty, they did all new coolers, lines, tank, etc. The problem I had was with the install. Exhaust pipes making contact with the body, brake lines bent, many clips and retainers broken, vacuum line not attached, etc. I paid a Vette shop a few hours labor to fix all the install issues.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:16 PM
tonypittman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

OP here with an update. I was contacted and told they have done a search and could find only 1 other identical car, and it is spoken for (someone has a deposit down on it). I really like the car I purchased, so this limits my options. I have not made a final decision, but leaning towards the new engine. The service manager assures me they have swapped out motors in plenty of Corvettes, and can do the job right. They have ordered a new engine, and are going to replace it whether I keep the car or get a buy-out either way. They are going to tear down the old motor to figure out exactly what went wrong, and then before installing the new one, will disassemble enough of it to make sure it does not have the same issue the first one had. I already have the extended warranty on the car so it would still be covered under that. I was assured that the swap would not show up on Carfax since is being done internally within GM, and so early in the life of the car. I was also assured we would go over every inch of the car to ensure it doesn't have a mark on it, and before giving it back to me would send it for a full detail to some high end detailer in Scottsdale (forgot the name), that many high end cars go to before they go to the Barrett Jackson car show. I'm thinking this may be my best option at this point.
Yep. I agree.

Sorry about the challenging experience. I hope they make it right for you.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:33 PM
Kingspoke
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Maybe check with these forum dealers and/or Autotrader to see if there are any matches, if you are still inclined to get an exact color and options replacement.

On the other hand if you have complete confidence in your current dealers service dept., nothing wrong with a new motor either! The free detailing sounds like trying to make the sale (nice gesture).

Best wishes, & keep us informed as time permits!
Old 07-06-2013, 11:54 AM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 161 Posts

To OP:

I would call the Chevrolet Sales 800 number and have them do a search for the Color and options that you have.

Also, you might want to post the specs of your car on the forum to see if anyone is aware of local dealers that have your configuration.

I purchased my 427 Vert from Tommy Jr. at MacMulkin and he currently has 27 427s in stock, 1SA(2), 1SB(16), and 1SC(10).

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:45 PM
VIK TOY
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

check the Pacific Northwest forum, member with same problem and his dealer is replacing entire car!!
I guess people should wait to get C7
Old 07-06-2013, 06:37 PM
jwmgr8
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 291 Likes on 200 Posts

I've had several dealings with GM concerning my 2013 Z06.
Overall my feelings are they will do the right thing. Issue is getting to the right thing.
I like my local dealer but changing a motor would not be a skill I would like to depend on from them. I would not accept anything but a new car- It is not your fault GM does not have exactly what you bought. They have option of supplying a unit with more stuff if you like?
Old 07-06-2013, 07:13 PM
ibleedgreen
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by VIK TOY
I guess people should wait to get C7
Nah, then he will get outrun by the 427s lol.

Seriously OP the only real thing I would be worried about is that Carfax/Maintenance record. It's going to be there and depreciate the car anyway you look at it.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:03 PM
2013 427
Instructor

[QUOTE=ibleedgreen;1584341330]Nah, then he will get outrun by the 427s lol.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:48 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark200X
The next time you visit the dealer, carry a large pair of rubber boots with you. Hip waders, even. Explain that the BS is getting deep

Critical issues with an engine replacement in your situation is total cleanliness of the oil system. Ideally they would replace oil tank, oil cooler, all oil lines. Likely they will not replace all that (oil tank will probably be reused, and they may try to stay with the lines to that tank as well). Based on my limited understanding of the newer oil coolers you may not even have any oil-bearing lines associated with that.

Second important issue is front end alignment -- they have to take that apart to get the engine out. If you can't witness the front end realignment then I'd take it to a private shop directly afterwards and pay out of pocket to have it checked.

And make sure they topped off the transmission fluid too.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:22 AM
2013 427
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mark200X

Great advice. Thanks!
Old 07-07-2013, 05:47 AM
TRZ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very sorry to hear about your problems. It could have happened to anyone of us.
Scary that it just might happen to us. Putting myself in your shoes, if you do eventually get a new engine or even a new car that you are satisfied with, what compensates you for the month or more of not having your NEW car? Wasted time cannot be bought back! Chevy HDQ or their managing agent, the dealer, should do something of value to make the experience less painful. An improvement on the car, free service checks, whatever you see as required payback. Yes, even new cars faulter, but expensive new cars require a higher level of service and satisfaction.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:47 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Again op . . . new car! Dealership seems to be easy enough to deal with (or so it seems) and I bet those with not even half a serious a problem as you have, would jump at the chance to get a new car. A little too much to make sure that all that needs to be replaced will be replaced and goes the way that it's suppose to (for me anyway). And I bet that you'll love another one just as much, especially for the money you spent at this level. But anyway, it's not my decision.

Get notified of new replies

To Bummed beyond belief

Old 07-08-2013, 12:44 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawdogg
When GM replaced my motor under warranty, they did all new coolers, lines, tank, etc. The problem I had was with the install. Exhaust pipes making contact with the body, brake lines bent, many clips and retainers broken, vacuum line not attached, etc. I paid a Vette shop a few hours labor to fix all the install issues.
This is obviously why it can mess with the resale value. Who knows if it was put back together correctly until you put some real miles on the car? If it doesn't show up on carfax it will still show up on GMVIS right? No way the dealership can fudge that can they? That's what I'd worry about. That said, I'd buy a car with an engine replacement if the car drove right, but yea, It would have to be a better deal than one with an original motor.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:28 PM
z51red
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to know the name of the engine assembler, if for no other reason than my own peace of mind, although I realize it may not be his fault at all.......my car was built in late February. I am curious as to when yours was built, or what the last four of your VIN is....
Old 07-08-2013, 03:23 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Get a new car, even if you have to choose a different color.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Bummed beyond belief