Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Service Active Handling - After Reflash & Oil Pan Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 08:50 PM
dsddcd
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Service Active Handling - After Reflash & Oil Pan Gasket

Just got my car back from the dealer, it is a 2009 with 20K miles and 100% stock. I took the car in as I was getting a check engine light and my testing indicated that the ECM needed a reflash which updated the catalyst efficiency routine. At this same time I decided to go ahead and have them do a oil pan gasket, just like my 06 the oil pan started to leak with low miles.

Anyway, I picked up the car and as soon as I got up to say 30mph the display flashed "Service Active Handling" and it is now disabled. I am able to select Active Handling functions after the car has been cycled on and off until I then hit 30mph.

My first thought is when the front end was dropped to do the pan they either messed up or did not reconnect one of the wheel speed sensors. It is a real PITA to get the car back to the dealer as I work 70+ hours a week and it is at least 2 hours to take the car up and drive back home. So if there is anything other than the above anyone would suggest I would appreciate your time.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:37 AM
dsddcd
Pro

Found the problem. I put the car up on the lift and went through every nut bolt and wire and found no problems. Dropped the car back down and started checking the other components to find that the steering shaft was loose!

It looks like they forgot to take the shaft loose before they dropped the cradle. I checked and they shaft was completely pulled out from underneath the dash. The steering position sensor was broken and the carrier bearing pulled from the cradle.

Last edited by dsddcd; 06-29-2013 at 01:44 AM.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:56 PM
Alberta_Z06
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch that sucks man. That's a serious whoops on their part.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the labor cost on the oil pan gasket change? My 06 didn't see a lot of use in the first 4 years, so it too is leaking.

Good luck with getting your Z fixed and back on the road.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:47 PM
dsddcd
Pro

Originally Posted by Alberta_Z06
Ouch that sucks man. That's a serious whoops on their part.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the labor cost on the oil pan gasket change? My 06 didn't see a lot of use in the first 4 years, so it too is leaking.

Good luck with getting your Z fixed and back on the road.
I am sure they will take care of it.

The car is still under warranty until mid 2015 so it was covered. I want to say there is 5 hours of labor involved but I can't say for sure. They have to drop the front cradle, put on the gasket, reinstall everything, realign the front end and finish the oil change.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:02 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dsddcd
Found the problem. I put the car up on the lift and went through every nut bolt and wire and found no problems. Dropped the car back down and started checking the other components to find that the steering shaft was loose!

It looks like they forgot to take the shaft loose before they dropped the cradle. I checked and they shaft was completely pulled out from underneath the dash. The steering position sensor was broken and the carrier bearing pulled from the cradle.
Man, that's just criminal...

Get notified of new replies

To Service Active Handling - After Reflash & Oil Pan Gasket

Quick Reply: [Z06] Service Active Handling - After Reflash & Oil Pan Gasket