Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Raod Rash Fix

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 09:56 AM
RJG7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Raod Rash Fix

The infamous road rash on the Z's where the back air intake scoop is. I have a black Z and of course it looks like salt N pepper!

Does anyone have any successful results fixing this or making it look better without having to go to a body shop? I've heard of some product that you actually wipe or run it in with your finger then wipe it but not sure.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:19 AM
moose.b3
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 128 Posts

I've had the same problem and have used some of the black wax products out there with some success. Just be sure to wash the area with Dawn dish soap first to get the old wax out of the affected spots
Old 06-26-2013, 11:27 AM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Old 06-26-2013, 07:25 PM
SUPERCRUZ
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple of suggestions.

1. touch up paint applied with the end of a tooth pick. Clean the rock chips with some denautured alcohol or paint prep on a Q tip. I use simple lighter fluid you can buy at your local CVS. It is essentially Naptha. Dip the end of the tooth pic in the paint and take a very small amount of paint on tip. Barely touch the tip to the rock chip and move to the next one. Allow to thoroughly dry before waxing.

2. Buy a black Shaprie and touch up chip marks. This works amazingly well.

Good luck with it.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:49 PM
NW94Z
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I tackled this exact problem on my brother's 07 Z a couple of years ago.

Scroll to post #18 on this thread. I describe how I repaired the road rash without a professional respray.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...he-detail.html

Also see post #23 and #33 for more info on what I did.

Last edited by NW94Z; 06-26-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:57 PM
Witt748
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anybody tried airbrushing? I think I'm doing that over the winter. Mine have looked horrible for a while.

Originally Posted by NW94Z
I tackled this exact problem on my brother's 07 Z a couple of years ago.

Scroll to post #18 on this thread. I describe how I repaired the road rash without a professional respray.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...he-detail.html

Also see post #23 and #33 for more info on what I did.
Awesome job
Old 06-26-2013, 10:44 PM
CliffB-99
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 81 Posts

When I had a black C5, I used Dr. Colorchip to repair road rash with good results.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:55 PM
RoHo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice job, I'm assuming you got the local Auto Paint Store to put the GM spec blue paint in the spray can, did you also re spray the clear and use the clear that the auto paint store mixed and put in another can?

Did you use ultra fine 2000/3000 grit sand paper to remove the paint or did you go with a rubbing compound?
Old 06-27-2013, 12:18 AM
NW94Z
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by RoHo
Very nice job, I'm assuming you got the local Auto Paint Store to put the GM spec blue paint in the spray can, did you also re spray the clear and use the clear that the auto paint store mixed and put in another can?

Did you use ultra fine 2000/3000 grit sand paper to remove the paint or did you go with a rubbing compound?
Check out aeromotivetouchup.com. You can get any GM paint shipped in an aerosol can with just a paint code. I looked up the Le mans blue paint code found it on their website then just ordered it. I did not respray the clear. I sprayed the whole side of the car basically (anywhere that had pitting and chips) with the Le Mans blue paint and then removed the paint. It effectively filled in all the damage and as i polished off all the excess paint it matched the shine of the factory paint. Then I wrapped all the areas prone to damage with paint protection film and the paint looked great and was protected from damage indefinitely. I didn't wet sand for fear of removing the clear so I just used as an aggressive polishing compound and an orange polishing pad working down to a less aggressive polish to bring back the shine towards the end. Took a very long time but in the end the paint was even and consistent.

I like your avatar. My brother just left VRC-30 a couple months ago. Already misses San Diego.

Last edited by NW94Z; 06-27-2013 at 12:24 AM.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:08 AM
RoHo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks MUCH for the info, I want to give that a try, lot's of those 180 +rashes that need attending too, LOL
Old 06-28-2013, 02:43 AM
silverarrow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Road rash

I own a yellow 06 ZO6 and with 68k on the clock there is some road rash in the areas you described, my fix is easy, I buy 1/2 wide electrical yellow tape and I tape the edges with the tape. The color matches about 95% but it fades so then I peel off the old tape and put a new piece on which is exactly what I did today. I will be glad to email you a picture of the area affected if you give me your email address.
Regards
Reiner Studenroth
Old 06-28-2013, 10:23 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,997 Likes on 5,365 Posts

If you look carefully you will see the road rash is also on the lower doors, rockers and most of the panel that includes the back brake vent. Most of the time the salt and pepper look comes from the thousands of edges of the chipped clear coat that reflect light differently than smooth clear coat. The color coat is usually not chipped. If you inspect the area closely after running water over it and the salt and pepper look disappears then you can use a non-residue wax like Turtle Wax Ice to hide the damage. The result will last for a while and it is easy to retreat the area when it starts to show again. Other than that you will need to get a professional to sand and paint the area and then get some low hanging mud guards to keep the stones from being thrown from the front tires. Apsis style guards are better than none but the ones I have still don't hang low enough and I still get damage in that area despite adding ZR1 side skirts. I just keep hiding the damage by throwing on the ICE.

Bill
Old 06-28-2013, 10:27 AM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You could always sand it then smooth it and use PlastiDip.

Get notified of new replies

To Raod Rash Fix

Quick Reply: [Z06] Raod Rash Fix