Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Z06 and Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 02:01 PM
DON T.
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by camirocz
At your age spending 45k for a car would be wrong.Go out and get a nice clean c5 for 15 to $18000 and have fun.You will have many years ahead of you to get the car of your dreams.
clean c5 and put the rest in a 401k. your what 20? hell, retire at 50 with three mill and change, and drive what ever your heart desires
Old 06-21-2013, 02:23 PM
Legitimate
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tim414
I understand your plight. I am in the medical field and do have a good understanding of that diagnosis.

Pay cash and enjoy being 20....
Maybe ill save up some more since I got a lot of time left. No need to make my decision too quick! I think I could save up 30K fairly fast too, so once I get back to work ill be saving up some more!
Old 06-21-2013, 02:45 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Get a C5Z if your gonna be so much in debt after college, but u better be getting a great job after college if your gonna rack up that much in debt.

But hey if your set on a C6Z get it u only live once
Old 06-21-2013, 02:52 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Get the Viper..Too many C6Z06 on the road now
Old 06-21-2013, 03:34 PM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by clogan
Here's one more opinion. The valve train reliability of the C6 Z06 is such that I would steer clear of the car if at all possible. I already own one, and have had the heads redone, but I am looking forward to selling it as soon as I can. I also have an '03 Cobra convertible which has been flawless, gets more looks, more comments, and runs PLENTY fast enough for me.

If your heart is set on a Corvette, you might want to consider a convertible, and skip all the Z06 drama altogether. In any event, I admire your mature attitude toward budgeting and planning.

Clogan, is your car Daytona Sunset Orange? Mark
Old 06-21-2013, 04:34 PM
Legitimate
Intermediate

Originally Posted by troller399
Get the Viper..Too many C6Z06 on the road now
I can't afford insurance on the Viper. My neighbor has one, I think it's an 01, but I can't DD the Viper either (too much of a car for me to handle ). I think they quoted me at a little over $500 a month on insurance lol. That's ridiculous! For a Z06 it was a little over $200. The problem with the Z is that there is more than a sticker price to that car, so I may just get a more reliable type of Vette and then in the future get my dream Vette. Maybe 20 years from now Ill have a C8Z
Old 06-21-2013, 05:42 PM
sean.b
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

counting the purchase price of my base c5 that came with 28,000 miles, i think i'm in the car for $19,700 or thereabouts. that's with an RPM transmission, Pfadt coilovers, around 550bhp, fully built top end, custom lighting all around to include lighter weight non popup headlights, etc. of course daily driving that would get raunchy, but you could do a tiny cam, add $2k more for labor, drop the transmission, and still be set with a more manageable # of hp.

i can DEFINITELY see the appeal of being in college with a hot ride, so i wont be one of the ones with more sensible advice. i had a motorcycle in college and it was nothing short of amazing - met people, girls, drew attention, etc. was great in between classes. just make sure that the next thing you invest in is debt and your future. and $30k/year is **** unless you're from some small town in backwoods Mississippi.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:15 PM
Legitimate
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sean.b
counting the purchase price of my base c5 that came with 28,000 miles, i think i'm in the car for $19,700 or thereabouts. that's with an RPM transmission, Pfadt coilovers, around 550bhp, fully built top end, custom lighting all around to include lighter weight non popup headlights, etc. of course daily driving that would get raunchy, but you could do a tiny cam, add $2k more for labor, drop the transmission, and still be set with a more manageable # of hp.

i can DEFINITELY see the appeal of being in college with a hot ride, so i wont be one of the ones with more sensible advice. i had a motorcycle in college and it was nothing short of amazing - met people, girls, drew attention, etc. was great in between classes. just make sure that the next thing you invest in is debt and your future. and $30k/year is **** unless you're from some small town in backwoods Mississippi.
Thanks man! It's definitely something I've wanted for a while and yeah I make like 12K a year working full time with minimum wage lmfao. To save up 19K I made investments a long time ago + I worked hard and to re-invest my efforts in that huge hole of debt would foster negative morale My mom said upon graduation I would be looking at like 40-45K a year which I still think is terrible, but I guess if I could work my way to like 70K upon retirement that wouldn't be to bad. No one in my immediate family makes over 50K, so I would be the first
Old 06-21-2013, 06:20 PM
-Op-
Advanced

i can DEFINITELY see the appeal of being in college with a hot ride, so i wont be one of the ones with more sensible advice. i had a motorcycle in college and it was nothing short of amazing - met people, girls, drew attention, etc. was great in between classes.
lol Im completely with you on this man. I just graduated a year ago and had my bike throughout college. Man, the **** that happens because you have one its awesome. Having an awesome ride in college is definently a boat load of fun.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:23 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 383 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Legitimate
I've been saving money since I was 19 to purchase a sports car. Initially I wanted a Dodge Viper, but I soon realized that those raw non DD cars would be way to much for me to handle (especially with insurance). I currently have 19K (not much), but I want to wait a while before making my purchase. I cannot buy a new Z06. It must be used. At the same time I don't think I could afford any type of super malfunction that would happen with this car. I consider what i plan on buying to be "balling on a budget". I want to take out a 20K loan and buy a used Z06 for around 45K, but like I said I won't be making my purchase for a few months or maybe even a year. I need to know if I would encounter any problems with this car if I just DD. I know stuff happens like transmission problems ect, but I can't afford an engine malfunction (I'm only 20 ). Obviously the warranty will be voided on an 06-09 Z06, so that means I would be paying out of pocket! I just want a nice car to drive to school and to the movies and although most Z owners track their cars, I've always been a fan of that American Graffiti type cruising and owning a nice cruising car with some style is kind of my dream! I won't settle on anything but a Vette, so it's either a base model or a Z06.

I think you need a "starter Vette" a C5 Z06 or a c4 would be nice. All the fun and gaining experience driving the car is best IMHO. My first was a C5 coupe and that car scared me. $20 grand and no payment cant be beat for a young guy.Insurance to think about also and they all need regular service. Good luck to you. Glad to see you using your head.

Clif
Old 06-21-2013, 06:24 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

GET A C5ZO6, youll be very happy. move up to a c6 later. trust us/me. ive had one of everything, I wouldn't steer you wrong.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:30 PM
Legitimate
Intermediate

Originally Posted by erikszr1
GET A C5ZO6, youll be very happy. move up to a c6 later. trust us/me. ive had one of everything, I wouldn't steer you wrong.
I think ill test drive one as soon as I get better and make my purchase. I know the raw C5 was fun to ride in, so I can only imagine a C5Z will be insane. I have to get over those headlights tho I'm picky with my cars, but loyal to Chevy. Love the Comaro's too, but wanted a Vette instead! I know you guys got my back with this, but surprised no one likes the Grand Sport. I think that Vette looks nice, but costs are a bit exorbitant.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:33 PM
sean.b
Drifting

I think ill test drive one as soon as I get better and make my purchase. I know the raw C5 was fun to ride in, so I can only imagine a C5Z will be insane. I have to get over those headlights tho I'm picky with my cars, but loyal to Chevy. Love the Comaro's too, but wanted a Vette instead! I know you guys got my back with this, but surprised no one likes the Grand Sport. I think that Vette looks nice, but costs are a bit exorbitant.
nah, i hear you on the headlights. radioflyer makes a custom aftermarket kit, as does breathless and a few other vendors. my c5 "base" next to my buddy's c6z. ive since changed over to black wheels, and everybody thats seen them has commented on how much better they look.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:40 PM
Legitimate
Intermediate

nah, i hear you on the headlights. radioflyer makes a custom aftermarket kit, as does breathless and a few other vendors. my c5 "base" next to my buddy's c6z. ive since changed over to black wheels, and everybody thats seen them has commented on how much better they look.
That looks pretty sick! That's more of what I wanted and I never even knew they made after market lights like that.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:45 PM
sean.b
Drifting

That looks pretty sick! That's more of what I wanted and I never even knew they made after market lights like that.
BTW, I can somewhat relate to your position, from the sound of it. Wouldnt have even posted this much if I didnt somewhat identify with your hard work/goals/willingness to take advice.

I dont think either of my parents ever broke $40k/year, and without a degree, I was making that before i could legally drink - in Mississippi. I wasnt being a hypocrite when i made a "small town in MS" reference.. By 24 I was over 100k, and by 26, at the point that I really had no idea what the hell I was doing with it, so in came a financial adviser. I dont dump it all into cars and looking rich like so many middle class people who've come up make the mistake of doing. I enjoy my "cheap" c5 in it's underdog roll, doing my own work, etc. I dont come from a pedigree, I come from a work ethic, and thats reflected in my preferences and tastes in all aspects.

Best of luck with the vette and what lies after the next 4-8 years of your life
Old 06-21-2013, 07:07 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

I can't afford insurance on the Viper. My neighbor has one, I think it's an 01, but I can't DD the Viper either (too much of a car for me to handle ). I think they quoted me at a little over $500 a month on insurance lol. That's ridiculous! For a Z06 it was a little over $200. The problem with the Z is that there is more than a sticker price to that car, so I may just get a more reliable type of Vette and then in the future get my dream Vette. Maybe 20 years from now Ill have a C8Z
I was joking about the Viper OP...I will go against the crowd and say keep looking, there are plenty of garage queens out there with low miles and most are stock...Get the Z now while you still have the reflexes to enjoy it...Keep saving/loooking...Good luck
Old 06-21-2013, 07:16 PM
Legitimate
Intermediate

Originally Posted by troller399
I was joking about the Viper OP...I will go against the crowd and say keep looking, there are plenty of garage queens out there with low miles and most are stock...Get the Z now while you still have the reflexes to enjoy it...Keep saving/loooking...Good luck
Ohhhh lol thanks and I figure the same thing, but I need to see what happens after I test drive a local C5Z.

BTW, I can somewhat relate to your position, from the sound of it. Wouldnt have even posted this much if I didnt somewhat identify with your hard work/goals/willingness to take advice.

I dont think either of my parents ever broke $40k/year, and without a degree, I was making that before i could legally drink - in Mississippi. I wasnt being a hypocrite when i made a "small town in MS" reference.. By 24 I was over 100k, and by 26, at the point that I really had no idea what the hell I was doing with it, so in came a financial adviser. I dont dump it all into cars and looking rich like so many middle class people who've come up make the mistake of doing. I enjoy my "cheap" c5 in it's underdog roll, doing my own work, etc. I dont come from a pedigree, I come from a work ethic, and thats reflected in my preferences and tastes in all aspects.

Best of luck with the vette and what lies after the next 4-8 years of your life
Thanks and I have literally no one (family, friends, ect) supporting my decision. None of them thought I was going to save up the money and when I did they ridiculed my Vette decision. At the end of the day I knew what I wanted tho, so my dad will have to deal with it! I'll park it next to his 69 Barracuda (440 hemi). I think he just doesn't want me to have a better looking car than him haha.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 and Reliability

Old 06-21-2013, 07:22 PM
sean.b
Drifting

Ohhhh lol thanks and I figure the same thing, but I need to see what happens after I test drive a local C5Z.

Thanks and I have literally no one (family, friends, ect) supporting my decision. None of them thought I was going to save up the money and when I did they ridiculed my Vette decision. At the end of the day I knew what I wanted tho, so my dad will have to deal with it! I'll park it next to his 69 Barracuda (440 hemi). I think he just doesn't want me to have a better looking car than him haha.
well objectively speaking, they SHOULDNT support you. but subjectively speaking, having a GSXR in college was...

I still strongly believe a souped up C5 would meet your goals AND prevent you from going into debt, something you may not think sounds so bad now, but in 2-3 years, it gets heavy and adds up. I want a GTM or SLC so bad that I can sometimes convince my brain to let me dream about driving one, but I'm staying sensible and enjoying the C5 til the time is right. Having a souped up C5 and some beer money before you start would be a truly beautiful thing. Something you'd enjoy much more than HAVING to work just to keep a car you may not be able to afford soon.

Last edited by sean.b; 06-21-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:59 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Z06 and Reliability
For reliability, especially the big bucks type you're referring to, all you have to do is check the guide wear on the heads and have them rebuilt if they're worn. So, budget about $4K for that (worst case, just in case you get in there and find lifter or cam problems) and you're golden.

If you're going to run it at high g's on a road race track, get the larger oil sump tank unless you wind up with an '09 or later (they already have it).

That's about it for the routine big $ issues. Some have had tranny problems but that seems to be rather few. Keep it off the drag strip and you're unlikely to break anything.

The C6 Z06 is a beast. Be careful. Damn careful.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:51 PM
clogan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkC

Clogan, is your car Daytona Sunset Orange? Mark
No...it's machine silver...but I do like that DSOM!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 and Reliability