Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 5K miles out of stock Goodyear runflats??

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 11:55 PM
Marc Lefebvre
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From my own personal experience 5k is not "about right", unless you run it very hard. I'm in the market for my third set of tires now. My first set of GY runflats took me about 13k miles and the second set of GY runflats pretty much the same. My Z has 25,000 on the clock and I'm thinking about a set of Nitto's for a change. Have to look around and see who has the best price. Good luck in your quest, Marc
Old 06-18-2013, 05:27 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

The OEM Goodyears on my wife's car were down past the wear bars at 5100. GM replaced them. I had an alignment done, and the second set were gone in 5300 miles! Now have a new alignment and Michelins.... things are looking much better. This was my worst Corvette tire experience in 30 years. (and I have had several!)
Old 06-18-2013, 06:30 PM
john512
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

So do you think any of it was caused by improper alignment or just crappy tires?

I am trying to decide between the Michelins or Bridgestones. Been pouring through all the tire posts here to help make a decision.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:00 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 383 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter99
honestly I got 11K out of my first set but the last 3K I wasn't digging it and was afraid to drive it when it was wet...rain forget about it

I have seen people say they got 20K out of RFTs but I dunno how...then I see people post pics of tires down to the belts...
I got 14k out of mine and would have gotten more but for the factory alignment ....they wore out on the inside fronts. I have Michelin pilot sports now but I don't see much difference either way.

Clif
Old 06-19-2013, 02:47 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by john512
So do you think any of it was caused by improper alignment or just crappy tires?
I think the alignment was at fault each time, although the GM tech said it was good...... Now I stand by the rack and tell them what I want!
Old 06-19-2013, 04:15 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

6-7k here.... GY=POS

Michelin PSS from now on.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:17 PM
z06 driver
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2008 z06 still has original tires with 9500 miles. I am very close to wear bars but should still pass inspection. Not doing burn-outs help.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:16 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

I went with the Bridgestone RE050A run flats on my Z06. They start with 10/32". I'm now down to 8/32"(starting point of the Goodyears) with 13,000 miles on them. I expect them to last easily to 25,000 miles, without them looking like racing slicks.

I'm running -.9* camber on the front and -.6* camber on the rear. Both front and rear toe are set as close to zero as possible.

Car handles great in the corners and tracks true on the straights.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:06 AM
Buddy A
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Depends how you drive. If you drive it like a 500 hp sports car then tire life will be shorter. If you drive it like a Prius then you will get more miles out of them. I choose to drive mine like a 625 hp sports car
Old 06-20-2013, 12:31 PM
CoronaL
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by marktsmith
I'm just interested in going to non Run Flat tires............... I guess you can get a jack under your vette pretty easily ? Or, getting the car on a flat bed is no problem ? Seems risky ? How do you handle flats ?

Mark.
lol, I just bought my car and didn't make it a day before I had a flat. Mainly my fault though. Anyway, my car has Michelin's non run flats. My fix, call AAA, have them jack up car and take tire to shop to fix. Not ideal, but compared to the stock tires, the Michelin's are top shelf all the way. Not sure how long they'll last, but I don't see myself going back to stock run flats unless they were given to me(I'm cheap lol so I'd use em then, but that'd be the only way).
Old 06-21-2013, 05:16 PM
marktsmith
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CoronaL
lol, I just bought my car and didn't make it a day before I had a flat. Mainly my fault though. Anyway, my car has Michelin's non run flats. My fix, call AAA, have them jack up car and take tire to shop to fix. Not ideal, but compared to the stock tires, the Michelin's are top shelf all the way. Not sure how long they'll last, but I don't see myself going back to stock run flats unless they were given to me(I'm cheap lol so I'd use em then, but that'd be the only way).
Wow, that is a bummer (flat on day one). I just bought my 2013 Z06. It has the Z07 performance package which adds some front and side spoilers making it real difficult to have jack access ?? The front spoiler is so low, we had to place 2X6 inch planks in front of the hoist tracks when I had it hoisted for Invisi-shield installation ( like a clear bra on the front end). So, I am really concerned about having it trucked when I get my first flat. I guess I will have to suggest they bring boards ????

Anyway, good luck with your new purchase. I know you will enjoy the Vette. The tires are real expensive. I'm retired, so I guess it's time for a part timd job for future tire purchases. Mileage on these Michelin Sport Cups will not be much over 10,000 from what I have learned reading on the Corvette forum !!

Again, Good luck with your new tire purchases. It looks like Silverflight will run very well with the engine modifications. Above all, enyoy !!

Mark.

Last edited by marktsmith; 06-21-2013 at 05:19 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-21-2013, 05:52 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,526 Likes on 2,606 Posts

Wow, that is a bummer (flat on day one). I just bought my 2013 Z06. It has the Z07 performance package which adds some front and side spoilers making it real difficult to have jack access ?? The front spoiler is so low, we had to place 2X6 inch planks in front of the hoist tracks when I had it hoisted for Invisi-shield installation ( like a clear bra on the front end). So, I am really concerned about having it trucked when I get my first flat. I guess I will have to suggest they bring boards ????

Anyway, good luck with your new purchase. I know you will enjoy the Vette. The tires are real expensive. I'm retired, so I guess it's time for a part timd job for future tire purchases. Mileage on these Michelin Sport Cups will not be much over 10,000 from what I have learned reading on the Corvette forum !!

Again, Good luck with your new tire purchases. It looks like Silverflight will run very well with the engine modifications. Above all, enyoy !!

Mark.
You will be doing very well to get 10K if you drive the car hard or do any track events. 5K with 5 track days would be my expectation.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:55 PM
marktsmith
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AzDave47
You will be doing very well to get 10K if you drive the car hard or do any track events. 5K with 5 track days would be my expectation.
That's the low level I see in the Forum. I have 3800 so far with no visible wear. No track days though. Guess I had better start pushing harder.

Mark.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:01 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,526 Likes on 2,606 Posts

That's the low level I see in the Forum. I have 3800 so far with no visible wear. No track days though. Guess I had better start pushing harder.

Mark.
Probably not unreasonable to expect a track day to consume a 1,000 miles of tread in the 100 miles driven

Quick Reply: [Z06] 5K miles out of stock Goodyear runflats??