Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Valves issue fix? What did you pay?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 12:31 PM
tt350z
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Valves issue fix? What did you pay?

Hello I was looking to ask some owners about prices they paid to get work done on there Z06's I'm in the market for a Z06 and a little worried about the obvious problem with the valve issue. I was looking to see what prices some of you guys have paid to fix this issue?

After talking to a local shop there fix to the Valve issue was to replace just the valves with S.S and new gaskets, fluids not change anything else costing around 2000.00

The second option is to go with head and cam package costing around 7000.00 which I'm sure is worth it but is a little steep in price for me right now.

Can anyone post or PM me some prices for the fix to the valve isssue...
Old 06-05-2013, 01:00 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a good chance that the valve guides will need to be changed as well, so if the local shop was not planning on doing that then I'd avoid them like the plague.

If the guides aren't worn out then you likely won't have a valve problem, but there is a lot of hysteria over the issue and many people understandably want to be proactive.

Budget $2500 out-the-door for quality work... 8 valves, 16 guides, 16 springs/retainers (if you go to heavier valves), labor, consumables. If you want porting, tuning, rocker upgrades, etc, the price can increase dramatically.

Tell us the general vicinity where you live and perhaps there is an experienced, quality shop nearby. There's at least a half dozen shops scattered across the country that do these LS7 head swaps fairly frequently.

Last edited by Mark2009; 06-05-2013 at 01:13 PM. Reason: added springs
Old 06-05-2013, 01:35 PM
tt350z
Racer

Im located in Maryland
Old 06-05-2013, 02:01 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

$970:
Parts and labor to machine heads - Bronze guides, SS valves, No Port work to stock heads - (valves, guides, springs, machine work).

Parts only (gaskets, bolts etc) for the removal and replacement (R&R)
R&R labor done at home with help from a friend.
-------
If you had to pay labor to swap the heads, about $2000 without any port work.
If you want ported heads, closer to $3000
-------
If you want Cam as well, you are looking north of $5000
-------
IMO the power of the Z06 at stock level cannot be used on the street, so unless you are tracking or looking for bragging rights, there is no reason to upgrade the power.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:37 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Originally Posted by tt350z
Im located in Maryland
I think there's ay least a couple forum vendors within a couple hours or less. Give them, or some forum member nearby with first hand experience with the, a day or so to chime in.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:42 PM
Nino S
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I was just quoted $4k with a tune for ported heads/labor/tune from RPM which is a very highly spoke of. I was going to get it done last month but I lost my license for a couple months so I am waiting until August when I can finally drive on the street again!!! I talked to Bill Schatz and he was very friendly and went over all of my options and really wanted to know what I wanted out of the car and how I can get there which is big in my book.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:00 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

RPM is a common name so you might want to clarify for the OP (and others)
Old 06-05-2013, 04:10 PM
tt350z
Racer

Originally Posted by Nino S
I was just quoted $4k with a tune for ported heads/labor/tune from RPM which is a very highly spoke of. I was going to get it done last month but I lost my license for a couple months so I am waiting until August when I can finally drive on the street again!!! I talked to Bill Schatz and he was very friendly and went over all of my options and really wanted to know what I wanted out of the car and how I can get there which is big in my book.
ported heads and what else? SS valves, Bronze guides, ect?
Old 06-05-2013, 04:12 PM
tt350z
Racer

Also RPM in Del.?
Old 06-05-2013, 05:26 PM
Vette @ 71
Burning Brakes

Re-doing your heads or aftermarket, re-built stock heads??
Old 06-05-2013, 06:06 PM
SlowVet05
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

OP,

I am in a similar situation as you. I just bought my '08 Z about three weeks ago, and it is under warranty until August. After the warranty runs out, I'm going to have a H/C package installed. I've already talked extensively with a reputable shop here and these are the quotes I was given.

$2,869 + tax (heads removed, sent to WCCH for stage II porting and milling, installed and tuned)

$4,632 + tax (everything above with the addition of a custom cam/springs installed and tuned)

Hope this helps, good luck!
Old 06-05-2013, 06:06 PM
Nino S
Pro

Originally Posted by Mark200X
RPM is a common name so you might want to clarify for the OP (and others)
VERY TRUE!!!

http://www.raceprovenmotorsports.net/
Old 06-05-2013, 06:11 PM
Nino S
Pro

Originally Posted by tt350z
ported heads and what else? SS valves, Bronze guides, ect?
Advanced Induction Cylinder Heads - Ported and Polished LS7 Cylinder Heads
(Using Stock Heads as Cores)
REV LS7 Exhaust Valve 8
Platinum Spring Kit with Chromoly Retainers for LS Engines 1
GM 7.0L Multi-Layer Steel LS7 Cylinder Head Gasket, 4.150" Bore 2
LS7 Lifter
GM Performance Head Bolt Kits (04-up) 2
Installation of Cylinder Heads

TOTAL WAS AROUND $4K PLUS TAX/FLUIDS. I AM DOING A CLUTCH AT THE SAME TIME SO I AM PLANNING TO HAVE AROUND A $6K BILL AND MAKE A TON OF POWER SAFELY AND HAVE A CLUTCH TO HOLD IT
Old 06-06-2013, 08:58 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Advanced Induction Cylinder Heads - Ported and Polished LS7 Cylinder Heads
(Using Stock Heads as Cores)
REV LS7 Exhaust Valve 8
Platinum Spring Kit with Chromoly Retainers for LS Engines 1
GM 7.0L Multi-Layer Steel LS7 Cylinder Head Gasket, 4.150" Bore 2
LS7 Lifter
GM Performance Head Bolt Kits (04-up) 2
Installation of Cylinder Heads

TOTAL WAS AROUND $4K PLUS TAX/FLUIDS. I AM DOING A CLUTCH AT THE SAME TIME SO I AM PLANNING TO HAVE AROUND A $6K BILL AND MAKE A TON OF POWER SAFELY AND HAVE A CLUTCH TO HOLD IT
For a tiny bit extra change , and tons more strength , go with ARP head studs, forget GM performance head bolts.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:02 PM
Svre46
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I paid right under 2k installed. Stainless exhaust valves, PRC springs, ARP bolts, gaskets, machining, guides, spark plugs, fluids, and labor. My stock lifters were in great shape and reused.

A week later I did a cam on the car myself and could have saved that labor. Pricing as others said will increase when you get into a tune, porting and other mods.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:21 PM
tt350z
Racer

Originally Posted by Svre46
I paid right under 2k installed. Stainless exhaust valves, PRC springs, ARP bolts, gaskets, machining, guides, spark plugs, fluids, and labor. My stock lifters were in great shape and reused.

A week later I did a cam on the car myself and could have saved that labor. Pricing as others said will increase when you get into a tune, porting and other mods.
I think this is where I want to be. at 2k for "installed. Stainless exhaust valves, PRC springs, ARP bolts, gaskets, machining, guides, spark plugs, fluids, and labor. My stock lifters were in great shape and reused. "

hope I can find a shop local for this.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:58 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

The problem with 2k installed is that is with rebuilding your heads, causing the car to sit for a week. No feasible for most shops and some car owners.

So you are looking at 2k+ for "worked" heads, 1k for labor and then getting 1k or so back out of your stock heads as cores.

Get notified of new replies

To Valves issue fix? What did you pay?

Old 06-07-2013, 07:21 AM
stealthy08
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

7K sounds a bit steep, but 2K? I think to an extent you get what you pay for. OP make sure you go somewhere that specializes in LS7's. Do your research before you leave your baby in someone's hands!
Old 06-07-2013, 07:47 AM
Svre46
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthy08
7K sounds a bit steep, but 2K? I think to an extent you get what you pay for. OP make sure you go somewhere that specializes in LS7's. Do your research before you leave your baby in someone's hands!
If you want to overpay by all means go ahead. These cars are not made of gold though some people may think they are. Some places do the Vette tax. I used a very reputable shop here in Illinois (Speed Inc). They are also a sponsor on this forum. I have a high school friend who is the service manager there.

Originally Posted by jedblanks
The problem with 2k installed is that is with rebuilding your heads, causing the car to sit for a week. No feasible for most shops and some car owners.

So you are looking at 2k+ for "worked" heads, 1k for labor and then getting 1k or so back out of your stock heads as cores.
It was only 2 days start to finish. I know some guys DD their cars which makes sense to get pre finished heads. Other guys believe machining was an issue and want new heads. Either way anything is better then doing nothing.

Last edited by Svre46; 06-07-2013 at 07:54 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:13 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$2500 that was complete rebuild install, tune...only thing salvaged were the Ti Intake valves.

Josh in Delaware at Horsepower Addicts does cam's for $1850 out the door with dyno tune. I would go to Josh. He does great work at a reasonable price.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Valves issue fix? What did you pay?