Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] C6Z vs C7 - Z still top dog

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 03:25 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Property1
It's mildly amusing for me to peruse the C7 General Discussion forum and seeing all the people who have already placed C7 orders trying to justify all their decisions. Many placed orders with the assumption that the horsepower numbers would be closer to 500. Now that it comes in at 455, they're saying "Well honestly, who really needs that much power for a street car? 455 is perfect."

I'm of course biased towards the C6Z and I want that to remain the top dog for a while. Can't wait until the base C7's come out and all the Youtube videos start popping up of them getting smoked by C6Z's. My opinion will change when I'm ready to buy a C7Z.
I do agree with your comments but if you posted this in the C7 section they would be all over you.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:30 PM
stealthy08
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Don't go raining on their parade in the C7 forum
Old 05-29-2013, 03:42 PM
Black96WS6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LEAVINU
Exactly..... this thread was doomed from the beginning.
LoL I mean of cars people can realistically purchase in their lifetime.

You can get used C6Z's in good condition mid 40's these days. ZR1's are way out of that price range, I consider them supercars much like Lamborghini\Ferraris\etc...nice to look at and awesome stock performance but will never own one due to the cost =o)
Old 05-29-2013, 04:11 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

I'm disappointed in the C7 so far.

The lowlights

- The rear end does not work - looks like a Japanese car. I have never seen such a confused over designed rear end - it has way too much going on - too many shapes too many colors etc. Also too many logos.

- Weight gain is inexcusable after replacing frame with aluminum and carbon fiber body panels

- DI was supposedly going to net 10-15% more power - instead we got around 5% increase with a weight gain (see above)

- Skinnier tires - WTF

- Stingray name is cool - That Stingray logo is not. The worst graphic interpretation of a stingray ever - looks like a guitar not a sea creature.

It's amazing what marketing can accomplish as many in the C7 forum are wetting themselves over this car- sure from the front and sides it is very attractive and the new interior looks nice but the C6 gained 50 hp over the C5 when it debuted and came in lighter as well. This new one is gaining 20 hp and is heavier.

Also I think there are way too many new members in the C7 section that are way overzealous about how much they like this car. Many of them will never by any Corvette much less a new C7, and I feel that GM has had a lot of interns join after the 1.13.13 reveal constantly overhyping the car and attacking anyone that has a criticism of it.

The C7 Z06 has to overcome a lot for me to be happy at this point.

Last edited by Hirohawa; 05-29-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:19 PM
LanceFitzgiben
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm still just not a fan of the slab sided look of the C7. If and when there are Z06/ZR1 versions with wider hips.. then we'll start talking.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:29 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

jmho, gm nailed the design and 460/465 is plenty for the base model. Cant wait to see what they do with the Z models

Last edited by ATC399; 05-30-2013 at 06:19 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:49 PM
ray24z06
Instructor

day of a lot of raw horses is coming to an end corvette will start to become a more refined sports car
Old 05-29-2013, 06:24 PM
Crossofiron
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 50 Posts

Default yea makes sense

With direct port injection and a purported 550hp, the C7Z should be more than a match for the C6Z06/Z07 I am very confident that the C7, while a very good car and faster than the base C6 will not be faster around a racetrack than my car. I also believe that the C7 Z06 WILL be faster than any C6. Just my opinion. No facts to back that up so do not ask me to provide them!

Last edited by Crossofiron; 05-29-2013 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:31 PM
OJCrush08
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ray24z06
day of a lot of raw horses is coming to an end corvette will start to become a more refined sports car
I don't think those things need to be mutually exclusive, but clearly the more hostile regulatory environment will mean fewer and more expensive cars that have both.

I really don't think my 622 h/p Z06 is that unrefined, with climate control, a marginal soundsystem/GPS which will be upgraded, and an already somewhat upgraded interior... It really is not to difficult to install a sound/GPS which is magnitudes better than even the units in my Acura MDX, which are some of the best units I have seen from the factory. Of course it is no 458 or Veyron, but those are a little over my paygrade!
Old 05-29-2013, 06:46 PM
Property1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hirohawa

It's mazing what marketing can accomplish as many in the C7 forum are wetting themselves over this car- sure from the front and sides it is very attractive and the new interior looks nice but the C6 gained 50 hp over the C5 when it debuted and came in lighter as well. This new one is gaining 20 hp and is heavier.

Also I think there are way too many new members in the C7 section that are way overzealous about how much they like this car. Many of them will never by any Corvette much less a new C7, and I feel that GM has had a lot of interns join after the 1.13.13 reveal constantly overhyping the car and attacking anyone that has a criticism of it.

The guys over in the C7 forum are very, very defensive and very, very argumentative. In their minds, the C7 is the pinnacle of human engineering and is the most perfect machine ever built. They have an excuse ready for every issue you point out.

Doesn't have the horsepower numbers that were expected? You didn't need that much horsepower anyway, GM is doing you a favor by giving you the exact amount you need - 455.

It's really like a gang beat-down over there if you try to criticize the car. My best guess is that a lot of these people have put deposits down on the C7 and they want to justify their purchase by making sure everyone knows that the C7 is perfect. Everyone is naturally defensive of their own car and their own choices.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:24 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

The lowlights

- The rear end does not work - looks like a Japanese car. I have never seen such a confused over designed rear end - it has way too much going on - too many shapes too many colors etc. Also too many logos.

- Weight gain is inexcusable after replacing frame with aluminum and carbon fiber body panels

- DI was supposedly going to net 10-15% more power - instead we got around 5% increase with a weight gain (see above)

- Skinnier tires - WTF

- Stingray name is cool - That Stingray logo is not. The worst graphic interpretation of a stingray ever - looks like a guitar not a sea creature.

It's amazing what marketing can accomplish as many in the C7 forum are wetting themselves over this car- sure from the front and sides it is very attractive and the new interior looks nice but the C6 gained 50 hp over the C5 when it debuted and came in lighter as well. This new one is gaining 20 hp and is heavier.

I have heard that GM does indeed have shills planted in these forums so it would not surprise me that the most vocal ones in the C7 section are employees of GM. That does make a lot of sense and people should be aware of this. The hype is over the top.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:02 PM
JT Metal
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by LOUFY
Actually the ZR1 is still the top dog.
Hmmm. I keep forgetting that.........
Old 05-29-2013, 11:51 PM
LEE427
V10LEE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm really excited about the C7Z. I think it's going to be a leap forward compared to our C6Zs..
Old 05-30-2013, 12:45 AM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
I read it in Purporting Magazine; May issue, page 58.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:28 AM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

zr1 is the vette to own.So far.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:36 AM
stealthy08
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

sure I agree in stock form - that is until you go and strap a SC on an LS7, tables are turned INSTANTLY
Old 05-30-2013, 06:40 AM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

zr1 is till top dog,brakes,suspension,it will go down in tim as the ultimate c6 to own.

Get notified of new replies

To C6Z vs C7 - Z still top dog

Old 05-30-2013, 08:56 AM
Fp8950
Instructor

The lowlights

- Skinnier tires - WTF

bingo!
Old 05-30-2013, 09:22 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

The lowlights

- Skinnier tires - WTF

Interesting points.

I didn't realize that the final horsepower numbers were only 20 above the outgoing LS3.

It looks like they are leaving themselves some leeway to increase this number in subsequent years.

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
I have heard that GM does indeed have shills planted in these forums so it would not surprise me that the most vocal ones in the C7 section are employees of GM. That does make a lot of sense and people should be aware of this. The hype is over the top.
Anyone who works for GM, is supposed to identify themselves on social media and boards such as this one, according to GM's employee policies.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:40 AM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond
Not really the point. The C7 Stingray is the "base" new gen and it is better than the out going C6 "base.". The C7 Z is going to be better than the C6 Z. Depending on how much better, there is either a C7 Vert or a C7 Z(assuming no supercharging or turbo charging) being added in a few years to my stable.

Quick Reply: [Z06] C6Z vs C7 - Z still top dog