Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] smoke out the rear exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 11:34 PM
ZIE06Bernie
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Fair comment Mark but with the car 8 years old hoping for warranty is like winning the lottery - three fifth of five eights of f all chance.

Maybe manufacturers there are different. He can only wish I guess.

Dropped valve no doubt by that damage.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:58 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark200X
Not everyone is comfortable with the prospect of pulling a cylinder head, and the type of repair probably involved here is generally not a DIY job -- even for those experienced in DIY head swaps.

So a look-see thru the spark plug hole (or twigging the spring) could confirm a missing valve head. And if it is, if it were me I'd certainly approach GM about a good faith warranty... you never know. In which case you'd want to let them pull the head.

In the U.S. the major chain auto parts stores will 'lend' major tools if they have them (actually you buy it, and if you return it in good condition they give you a refund). Usually pullers and stuff like that.
Originally Posted by ZIE06Bernie
Fair comment Mark but with the car 8 years old hoping for warranty is like winning the lottery - three fifth of five eights of f all chance.

Maybe manufacturers there are different. He can only wish I guess.

Dropped valve no doubt by that damage.
I'd almost have to concur with Mark200X here on the attempt at a good faith warranty.

While dealing with GM can be a long shot in any situation you find yourself in whereby they are holding all of the cards, so to speak, as he can probably tell anyone in here based on what they did for him on his heads, it might still, in some situations, be worth a try.

Worst they'd be able to tell you is to get lost.

But in this case, that would entail letting a dealership take over from here, and thus letting them examine the car and pull the heads.

However; there is one potential sticking point, which "could" be a big problem I see with him taking a shot on a good faith warranty.

Originally Posted by Vettelover2
Doug is right. Same day service. They got my ecm and I had it back the next day. My car pulls much harder that before in all 3 gears. I have not made it to 4th yet. Hard for new goodyears. I love my tune. Chris was my connect at ECS. He took care of me all the way and with all of my questions. Doug Chris needs extra commission on my sale. You guys are the best!
If this is his Z06 he is referring to, and he takes this car in, as soon as they look at that ECM, they're liable to balk at giving him any kind of relief.

As such, it's looking a lot right now like he is going to have to pay out of pocket to have that cylinder head pulled, or do it himself.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 05-07-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:12 AM
JwT
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

Seems like a lot of good advice here. One thing that is real is the fact that the rest of the spark plug is somewhere in the cylinder or the pan. If the motor had stopped at that very moment, one could hope that Op may have a good block. The fact that the car was rolling and began pouring smoke is at least proof that the piston is toast.

Usually when the impact is enough to smash a hole in the slug other damage occurs. We all hope for the best but deep down anyone here who thinks the block is ok knows deep down that's it's not. I guess there have been instances where all the cards fell the right way......but not this time.

I agree, Op needs to start the dis assembly or have it done. After that it will be time to look for a new motor. Sad really....people on the forum are starting to get tired of the valve threads. I guess because the problem is known it's no longer a worthy subject, until it happens again.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:15 PM
Vettelover2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well everyone after further review of the spark plug I can say only the ground electrode (L piece) and a small piece of the insulator(white part) of the spark plug is in the engine. The plug in not split in half. It just looks that way. All the threads are there just a smudge / bend on the last thread.

All I can say is that I am still in shock. I have never had a problem with non of my performance or luxury cars. Still can't believe I may be out of 10 to 15k. I can afford my cars but we all know I can buy another car at 10-15k. I love my Vette but this makes me question GM's 427 build and car. My 03 SVT Cobra gave me no problems,C6, 99 LS1 Ram Air TA, and 91 Z28. Don't want to go back to the heavy beast but 15k for a engine. No one have these issues on a car but the Z06. All of them should go 100k easy and for the price we pay for the Z. I still have my 91z28 with a 350 / LT4 cam, 1.6 rockers, NOS, SLP headers and never any engine problems till this day with 170k miles.

I am still furious because my car look brand new inside and out. Plus all service records from the dealer from day 1. Pissed!
Old 05-07-2013, 10:24 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Well everyone after further review of the spark plug I can say only the ground electrode (L piece) and a small piece of the insulator(white part) of the spark plug is in the engine. The plug in not split in half. It just looks that way. All the threads are there just a smudge / bend on the last thread.

All I can say is that I am still in shock. I have never had a problem with non of my performance or luxury cars. Still can't believe I may be out of 10 to 15k. I can afford my cars but we all know I can buy another car at 10-15k. I love my Vette but this makes me question GM's 427 build and car. My 03 SVT Cobra gave me no problems,C6, 99 LS1 Ram Air TA, and 91 Z28. Don't want to go back to the heavy beast but 15k for a engine. No one have these issues on a car but the Z06. All of them should go 100k easy and for the price we pay for the Z. I still have my 91z28 with a 350 / LT4 cam, 1.6 rockers, NOS, SLP headers and never any engine problems till this day with 170k miles.

I am still furious because my car look brand new inside and out. Plus all service records from the dealer from day 1. Pissed!
Sorry for your misfortune man.

Did you pull the head yet?

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 05-08-2013 at 12:28 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:50 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Easier check for serious damage is pulling the air cleaner, and looking in the intake manifold for debris. All the pics I've seen have also broken the intake valve and pieces end up there.

The part that says broken block to me, is when the attempted restart failed. If the engine won't even crank, you know it's toast.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:12 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[...] Still can't believe I may be out of 10 to 15k. [...]
Well, at this stage nothing is certain until you get a look inside that cylinder, one way or another.

Speculation is always abundant when facts are in short supply.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:50 AM
lilredvette05
Racer

Sorry OP, I cant believe that these motors are blowing like no tomorrow. All that money for a top end car and cant even make it from point a to b without worrying about it.

I think GM should be responsible for everyone thats had a valve drop. Not just because of good business practice but how about morals!! If i was a GM rep on this matter I COULDN'T SLEEP AT NIGHT!! Knowing that good hard working people are going through enough stress with economy and stuff now one of the things we love and just enjoy to get away in is toast!!

If the block is toast, id just scrap what i could from it and buy a forged one from an aftermarket shop, still expensive but more bullet proof. Also good excuse to make big hp if your funds allow it
Old 05-08-2013, 04:10 AM
vvlf
Pro

This is insane. We have to get a class action lawsuit going.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:41 AM
KLLRVET
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by z0sicktanner
This is insane we all need to work together and do somthing about this...we need a class action law suit or somthing
+100
Old 05-08-2013, 07:22 AM
kenw
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

To the poster, very sorry for whatever has happened to your Z.

Many of us on this forum are very concerned about the "valve" issue with our cars.

I see you live in Ga., if you are anywhere near Vengence Racing they are very well thought of on this Forum and have been helping some of us with this problem. You may want to call them, maybe they can help.

Good luck.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:47 PM
Mar48
Racer

I don't have a Z yet, but why haven't people banded together for a class action if it's really a large issue? I guess I've never been in one so I don't know what all goes into it. I assume someone has to take the lead who is very knowledgable with the legal system and has a lot of time?
Old 05-09-2013, 12:15 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Any updates?
Old 05-09-2013, 02:23 AM
tt350z
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW!!! After reading this thread, I think I'm officially done with looking for a Z06 LS7... I cant imagine what I would do. I would be so upset with my self. I have read about this problem but put it behind me and thought to my self it really doesn't happen but for some reason your story just hit home with me and I feel your pain. I think I will be just saving and getting a CTS-V coupe... Hope you get this issue figured out. No Way in Hell am I spending 38-45k on a car that possibly has this problem and GM wont back there work or take any responsibility for a known problem. Good luck with everything....
Old 05-09-2013, 05:29 AM
LT5 John
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tt350z
WOW!!! After reading this thread, I think I'm officially done with looking for a Z06 LS7... I cant imagine what I would do. I would be so upset with my self. I have read about this problem but put it behind me and thought to my self it really doesn't happen but for some reason your story just hit home with me and I feel your pain. I think I will be just saving and getting a CTS-V coupe... Hope you get this issue figured out. No Way in Hell am I spending 38-45k on a car that possibly has this problem and GM wont back there work or take any responsibility for a known problem. Good luck with everything....
If you are that concerned about the heads. Try looking for one with the heads already done, maybe that will work for you?...The CTS-V is a nice ride, I would rather have the Z...

Last edited by LT5 John; 05-09-2013 at 05:36 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:20 AM
Kneel 8250
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Well I am going to disagree with everyone else and tell you that spark plug is a classic pre-ignition case. You have a tune on your car and a fresh tank of gas. It seems to me that you burnt a hole in the piston so things probably wont be as dire as some are predicting.
Unfortunately if I am correct it does mean work.

Hope I am wrong and you can salvage without too much expense.

Kneel.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:33 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Driving down the hwy and car lose power. White smoke out the rear. Thought car was on fire because I just filled up. Pulled over and tried to start more smoke. Waiting for tow. I have a 06z 12/05. Is that a symtom of a dropped valve. Car never had any problems. Just waxed it taking a cruz. Sucks! 45k miles. Was at the dealership at 42k for oil, diff, Changes. Warranty gone. Cant afford to pay 15+k on a LS7 engine. How to tell Z brothers
If you are stock no tune contact GM and see if they will do a one time courtesy replacement. 1-800-222-1020 contact local dealer to see who their GM rep is and see if he can help first. Are you near Atlanta Ga, David at Jim Ellis is the best tech around he worked for vengenance Racing for a while.
z51vett
Doug

Last edited by z51vett; 05-09-2013 at 09:36 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To smoke out the rear exhaust

Old 05-09-2013, 09:59 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kneel 8250
Well I am going to disagree with everyone else and tell you that spark plug is a classic pre-ignition case. [...]
Could be an excellent call. I was thinking that the damage to that plug looked more heat related than mechanical. Hmmm . . . . .

Stock plugs? Any little specks on the electrode insulators of the other plugs?
Old 05-09-2013, 10:08 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,961 Likes on 5,347 Posts

Try GM and see what they say. If all of your service has been at one dealership from day one then go to them and see what they say. The GM Rep has the ability to authorize a Goodwill Warranty Replacement. Process starts with GM getting a dump of the ECM programming.

As I have posted before this has happened to 9 engines that I personally know about. One of the engines dropped the intake valve Vs the exhaust valve. The owner was able to save the engine and the car is back doing track events. When the valve dropped it marked the top of the piston but didn't damage the cylinder walls so he was able to replace the heads with a set of WCCH heads.

When my exhaust valve dropped the head of the valve went out the intake port (after breaking off the intake valve head) and into the intake manifold. Piston was heavily damaged but not broken but the cylinder wall was cracked in two places. When dealer did should cost to determine whether to repair or replace they figured they would need a new block, crank, piston and rod assemblies for both cylinders on that crank throw and at least one new head and maybe an intake manifold. I suspect if I had been doing the work myself I would have torn the engine down and determined if both piston/rod assemblies and crank had to be replaced. Then I would have checked to see if it was cheaper to resleeve the block or just replace it.

I would have also looked for a used engine to see if I could save some money there. There are a number of used engines out of wrecks floating around (including one from just two weekends ago). The advantage of getting a used engine is you can pull the heads while it is out of the car and have them done.

Don't despair yet. There may be plenty of economical solutions available that don't involve buying a new replacement engine.

Bill
Old 05-09-2013, 11:23 AM
Kneel 8250
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Everything Bill says above is true and certainly what I would try first. The cost to you is little initially and the worst GM can say is no.

Kneel.

Quick Reply: [Z06] smoke out the rear exhaust