Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Drag Strip launch & shift points ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 12:14 PM
pmihaltian
Slingshot
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by FNBADAZ06
The best way ?
Reality check........whatever your track conditions are, including meterological, your mod levels (are you stock ?), and your driving skill set can handle......that will dictate the "best way" to launch the car.

If you have zero drag racing experience, be prepared to be humbled...."assured 11 second ET's" are the realm of people with a modest amounts of seat time drag racing, and a drag radial....and sometimes, even that's not enough if you've never piloted a C6 Z06 down the strip.

505 BHP will not be enough to get an 11 second slip if you smoke the clutch, and/or are not semi-proficient in getting the car shifted quickly and at the proper time. It takes seat time, and a feel for your specific car and it's idiosyncrasies’...more than anything else....to get those "assured 11's" .

So, with that being said.......

Best drag tire combo I've personally used, with stock power, is the Hoosier 275/40/17 or 315/30/17....mounted on C5 Z06 17x9.5 front wheels. That's about the lightest, shortest, tire/wheel combo you can put on the back of a Z. Run the highest amount of tire pressure you can, while still getting you traction......my sweet spot appears to be 18psi HOT. Pump up the fronts to 42 HOT to minimize rolling resistance.

1) traction control Off, all other nannies ON.

2)depending on how much water is in the water box will dictate if I drive thru or around the water box for my burnouts. You want to perform your burnout out around the edges of the water, not directly in it. I do 2nd gear burnouts, as it gets the tire spinning at a higher MPH which heats them faster without overheating the clutch. You don't need to do John Force burnouts....keep them as short as possible

3) launch RPM's on a prepped, sticky track, stock clutch on drag radial....anywhere from 3500-5000 RPM. Clutch get's slipped for the first 10 feet or so...don't "pop" the clutch. WOT can't happen until the clutch is fully engaged...see Ranger Acceleration method as other's have mentioned.

4) shift RPM......this is tricky, as we don't know what your hand/eye/foot coordination or reflexes are. If you're slow...start your shifts around 66-6700 or so. Pretty fast ??? Start around 68-6900. Wait until you see 7000 ??? You're too late, and will smack the soft rev limiter, which will cost you dearly in time.

5) don't bother "speed shifting" if you're stock.....the ECU's Torque Managment will pull the throttle.

Your first 6 attempts at this....I wouldn't expect anything better than low 12's in the 122-124 MPH range. The Z06 is not a drag car.....you've got to work within it's limitations.

Get seat time and some experience ?
Mid to upper 11's all day long.....low 11's when you get really good.....put it all together, high 10's are within reach.

It took me 3 sets of drag radials, 150+ passes, to find the "sweet" spot for my track altitude, car setup, and grip.

10.84@130 MPH is where I finally hung my "stock" hat.
Thanks I appreciate your insight and recommendations.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:34 AM
KLLRVET
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

130mph stock??
Old 05-02-2013, 08:43 AM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by KLLRVET
130mph stock??
Yep.....with the addition of a MF103 and a drag pack, stock tune.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:15 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

The best way ?
Reality check........whatever your track conditions are, including meterological, your mod levels (are you stock ?), and your driving skill set can handle......that will dictate the "best way" to launch the car.

If you have zero drag racing experience, be prepared to be humbled...."assured 11 second ET's" are the realm of people with a modest amounts of seat time drag racing, and a drag radial....and sometimes, even that's not enough if you've never piloted a C6 Z06 down the strip.

505 BHP will not be enough to get an 11 second slip if you smoke the clutch, and/or are not semi-proficient in getting the car shifted quickly and at the proper time. It takes seat time, and a feel for your specific car and it's idiosyncrasies’...more than anything else....to get those "assured 11's" .

Best drag tire combo I've personally used, with stock power, is the Hoosier 275/40/17 or 315/30/17....mounted on C5 Z06 17x9.5 front wheels. That's about the lightest, shortest, tire/wheel combo you can put on the back of a Z. Run the highest amount of tire pressure you can, while still getting you traction......my sweet spot appears to be 18psi HOT. Pump up the fronts to 42 HOT to minimize rolling resistance.

2)depending on how much water is in the water box will dictate if I drive thru or around the water box for my burnouts. You want to perform your burnout out around the edges of the water, not directly in it. I do 2nd gear burnouts, as it gets the tire spinning at a higher MPH which heats them faster without overheating the clutch. You don't need to do John Force burnouts....keep them as short as possible

3) launch RPM's on a prepped, sticky track, stock clutch on drag radial....anywhere from 3500-5000 RPM. Clutch get's slipped for the first 10 feet or so...don't "pop" the clutch. WOT can't happen until the clutch is fully engaged...see Ranger Acceleration method as other's have mentioned.

4) shift RPM......this is tricky, as we don't know what your hand/eye/foot coordination or reflexes are. If you're slow...start your shifts around 66-6700 or so. Pretty fast ??? Start around 68-6900. Wait until you see 7000 ??? You're too late, and will smack the soft rev limiter, which will cost you dearly in time.

5) don't bother "speed shifting" if you're stock.....the ECU's Torque Managment will pull the throttle.

Your first 6 attempts at this....I wouldn't expect anything better than low 12's in the 122-124 MPH range. The Z06 is not a drag car.....you've got to work within it's limitations.

Mid to upper 11's all day long.....low 11's when you get really good.....put it all together, high 10's are within reach.

It took me 3 sets of drag radials, 150+ passes, to find the "sweet" spot for my track altitude, car setup, and grip.

In addition to all above, there are times that the conditions are so much different, it seems like you're starting all over. Lots of seat time may get you through, but occasionally it won't. Just don't let any simgle disappointment stop you from learning.

I watched a first time out ZR1 make 6-8 passes all in the 13's and 14's. With a little coaching he finally made it into the real high 12's. There were no track problems, but he never came back to gain the experience that could put him in the 10's. The lesson here, is that it takes time to get yourself good enough to match the car's capabilities.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:55 PM
azZ06Mike
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Trust me some advice you get is from guys who have never driven an LS7 just practice the clutch release in the first to 6-8 feet and know the track conditions. Check make sure tire pressure is accurate between runs also.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:02 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by azZ06Mike
Trust me some advice you get is from guys who have never driven an LS7 just practice the clutch release in the first to 6-8 feet and know the track conditions. Check make sure tire pressure is accurate between runs also.

and if all else fails... blame the DA.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:07 PM
azZ06Mike
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '11

Hell yes the DA in Arizona is horrible! Every once in a few years we get a great day! Like when Victor ran a 10.84 not sure he backed it up that day but the DA was awesome! When Victor helped me at the track we went in a few passes from 12.0 to 11.3 in one evening!
Old 05-02-2013, 02:11 PM
Turbosixx
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First 6-8 feet is very short. I'd compare that to dumping the clutch?
Old 05-02-2013, 02:12 PM
azZ06Mike
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '11

that's what I thought but it works
Old 05-02-2013, 02:14 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Hell yes the DA in Arizona is horrible! Every once in a few years we get a great day! Like when Victor ran a 10.84 not sure he backed it up that day but the DA was awesome! When Victor helped me at the track we went in a few passes from 12.0 to 11.3 in one evening!

Victor is the man. He has taught me much. I hope to run into both of you some day at a track event.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:44 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

The best way ?

Some really good advice there!

Ron
Old 05-02-2013, 03:35 PM
azZ06Mike
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Dr.Ron

Ron
Yes Victor is one of the only ones in Arizona I would get advice from. There are a few others on the forum but Victor has the Z06 dialed in!
Old 05-02-2013, 04:15 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dr.Ron

Ron
..and, where did I "learn" this stuff from ?

You, Ranger, and all the other's who did this way before I did
Old 05-02-2013, 04:16 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Yes Victor is one of the only ones in Arizona I would get advice from. There are a few others on the forum but Victor has the Z06 dialed in!
Thanks for the props, Mikey
Old 05-02-2013, 04:19 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by propain
Victor is the man. He has taught me much. I hope to run into both of you some day at a track event.
Thanks for the props, Jim
Old 05-02-2013, 04:24 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Turbosixx
First 6-8 feet is very short. I'd compare that to dumping the clutch?
Nope....you'd be suprised what happens in those first couple milli-seconds and feet when you launch the car.

With such a tall 1st gear in the tranny and the 3.42 rear end, you're trying to keep the RPM's up and the nose from dropping.
It takes a deft touch and some practice, but believe me, dropping the clutch will not get you the best 60' times and might result in some broken parts
Old 05-02-2013, 04:32 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

..and, where did I "learn" this stuff from ?

You, Ranger, and all the other's who did this way before I did

Get notified of new replies

To Drag Strip launch & shift points ?

Old 05-03-2013, 02:12 PM
johnurankar
Cruising

Would like to get more practice, since I haven't made it into the 11's yet. The problem for me is 2 visits to the track and only 5 passes (6+ hours). I did dump the clutch and hammer the throttle that only got me a 2.0 60 ft time. 12.07 at 121. I need to find a way to rent the track so I can get some time in way too crowded (Gateway St Louis).

Originally Posted by FNBADAZ06.....with the addition of a MF103 and a drag pack, stock tune. Whats the MF103?? and drag pack? 134 mph thats awesome I'm best of 121 with a variance of less than 2 mph on all runs on 2 different days.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:41 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where is RANGER? I haven't seen him post for many months.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:11 PM
lebvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by propain
Preach on brother!!
great write up.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Drag Strip launch & shift points ?