Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Heads/Cam advice (Not waiting on a failure)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 10:48 PM
Grabber07'
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heads/Cam advice (Not waiting on a failure)

Just as the title says, dont want to wait on a possible failure. I have decided to go ahead and replace my heads and throw a cam in while its apart.

With that being said, I havent the slightest clue on what package to go with or what will be needed to complete the install.

Car: 2008 Z06
Current mods: B&B Evo mufflers and Hurst Shifter

Goal: Car is not a daily driver and want power combined with sound, but I dont want to kill all street mannerisms. Would like 550+rwhp. Car might see the drag races every now and then, other than that some playful runs with friends outside of the track on occasion. Just dont want to see too many tailights if I can help it

The Black Widow cam has been suggested to me along with PRC heads.

WCCH has also been suggested, but I dont want to have to pull my heads and wait. I would rather buy new heads and have them sent to me.

Finally what all will I need for the heads and cams for install? Ive heard to go with Trunion upgrade? What about pushrods? Also CR5 chain?

Not a professional Mechanic so any help would be appreciated.

Budget: Would like to stay around $4,000 if I can help it.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Grabber07'; 04-15-2013 at 10:58 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:29 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Maybe your shops will have better rates than I have in Northern California but if you want a cam and heads package, I think $4k might be a bit on the low side.

WCCH Stg2 Heads or PRC265s will set you back about $2k.
Cam is about $400~
Tune is $500~

Thats nearly $3k before you start looking at the supporting components like new head bolts, C5-R Chain, Trunion upgrades, fluids, spark plugs, etc. and most expensively, labor.

With a bigger cam its possible, but on anything mild, without intake, headers, and at least a ported TB/manifold, 550rwhp might seem a little optimistic. I've got about 560rwhp now with full bolt ons, but my cam is probably the one of the most mild ones out there.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:52 PM
Grabber07'
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
Maybe your shops will have better rates than I have in Northern California but if you want a cam and heads package, I think $4k might be a bit on the low side.

Cam is about $400~
Tune is $500~

Thats nearly $3k before you start looking at the supporting components like new head bolts, C5-R Chain, Trunion upgrades, fluids, spark plugs, etc. and most expensively, labor.

With a bigger cam its possible, but on anything mild, without intake, headers, and at least a ported TB/manifold, 550rwhp might seem a little optimistic. I've got about 560rwhp now with full bolt ons, but my cam is probably the one of the most mild ones out there.
Looks like I may need to up the budget a bit, which is ok. Will just have to sleep on the couch for a night or two

I just want to make sure I purchase the appropriate heads/cam pkg and also purchase the appropriate supporting mods. If it costs a bit more to do that, then so be it

Is there a particular company you trust to purchase all of the products needed to complete the build? Wonder if there is a thread out there that has the complete list I need to purchase.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:08 AM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Where do you live? Maybe a local shop has a setup that suits your needs.
If you want PRC heads I think only texas speed sells them
Old 04-16-2013, 12:40 AM
Grabber07'
Instructor

Originally Posted by LS7 DREW
Where do you live? Maybe a local shop has a setup that suits your needs.
If you want PRC heads I think only texas speed sells them
Oklahoma City. Might have to venture to Texas. Not a lot of reliable big name shops around here unfortunately.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:53 AM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Maybe contact Lethal Performance (San Antonio iirc), LMR in Houston, LG in plano, or Dallas Performance in Dallas.
They all seem to be shops doing some nice builds on Z06s
Old 04-16-2013, 01:02 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Grabber07'
Just as the title says, dont want to wait on a possible failure. I have decided to go ahead and replace my heads and throw a cam in while its apart.

With that being said, I havent the slightest clue on what package to go with or what will be needed to complete the install.

Car: 2008 Z06
Current mods: B&B Evo mufflers and Hurst Shifter

Goal: Car is not a daily driver and want power combined with sound, but I dont want to kill all street mannerisms. Would like 550+rwhp. Car might see the drag races every now and then, other than that some playful runs with friends outside of the track on occasion. Just dont want to see too many tailights if I can help it

The Black Widow cam has been suggested to me along with PRC heads.

WCCH has also been suggested, but I dont want to have to pull my heads and wait. I would rather buy new heads and have them sent to me.

Finally what all will I need for the heads and cams for install? Ive heard to go with Trunion upgrade? What about pushrods? Also CR5 chain?

Not a professional Mechanic so any help would be appreciated.

Budget: Would like to stay around $4,000 if I can help it.

Thanks in advance
I commend you on being proactive and taking steps towards augmenting the reliability of your car instead of inviting disaster, at a time when we all know that disaster, rarely turns down an invitation.

Good luck with your modification plans, and there are plenty in here who are quite capable at helping formulate a plan which will meet your needs and your budget.

When it comes to the management of the LS7 valve train issue, this forum is a godsend and the most powerful weapon against it that we have.

And a quite capable and formidable weapon it is, in that attempts at heading off the LS7 valve train issue, using the techniques and resources available on this forum, which include solid stemmed stainless steel valves and bronze valve guides, have a great record of success.

Again, best of luck with your particular plan of attack, and above all else, do not let anyone in here deter you from the basic "meat and potatoes", "brick and mortar", bread and butter, ingredients, found in successful aftermarket plans which show up throughout this forum.

Good luck.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:29 AM
lilredvette05
Racer

Originally Posted by Grabber07'
Oklahoma City. Might have to venture to Texas. Not a lot of reliable big name shops around here unfortunately.
Give Patrick at quality motorsports a call, i promise you wont regret it, his shop is also not too far off of 35E in lewisville so prob the closest to you. He has great selection of heads and cams and will have your Z running great at a great price
Old 04-16-2013, 08:28 AM
KillerFRC
Advanced

Here is a list of what most H/C installs consist of.
It can also very on what supporting parts you install for the perfect to you goal.

CnC LS7 Heads
Valve Springs
Hardened Push rods
Mild Cam
ARP Head Studs
Lifters
Oil
Oil Filter
Coolant
NGK spark plugs
180/160 Thermostat
Front Cover Gasket Kit
Head Gaskets
Crank Bolt
Labor to install H/C
Dyno Tune

Also this is a list of options that most have on the H/C setups.

Trunion Upgrade Kit for Rockers. - Highly recommend this option!
Larger Injectors
Fast 102 Intake
Billet Fuel Rails
Fuel Lines & Fittings
102 Throttle Body
Long tube Headers
Catch Can
Cold Air. I am going with a K&N

As for shops I recommend Lethal Performance as they have always taken good care of me and there work is hands down the cleanest I have seen.

Also Just an FYI my car is currently there for a H/C install so if you have any questions feel free to contact me and hope this helps.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:34 AM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

How many miles on your Z and are you the original owner?...Good luck with your mods
Old 04-16-2013, 09:06 AM
619grappler
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd add the FAST 102 and the Nick Williams 102 TB if you have the budget. If not, then maybe a ported stock intake manifold and ported stock TB. More gains are seen with the FAST/NW combo obviously but they're both on the pricey side.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:09 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by Jawnathin

Cam is about $400~
Tune is $500~

Head bolts if you get nice ones from ARP will set you back close to 100 bucks, trunion upgrades are around 400 depending on if you go with CHE, C5-R Chain, and then of course labor. Looking at around 800-1000 for labor which again will vary based on what you do and supporting mods.

Looking at just over about 5k
Old 04-16-2013, 03:29 PM
Grabber07'
Instructor

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
I commend you on being proactive and taking steps towards augmenting the reliability of your car instead of inviting disaster, at a time when we all know that disaster, rarely turns down an invitation.

Good luck with your modification plans, and there are plenty in here who are quite capable at helping formulate a plan which will meet your needs and your budget.

When it comes to the management of the LS7 valve train issue, this forum is a godsend and the most powerful weapon against it that we have.

And a quite capable and formidable weapon it is, in that attempts at heading off the LS7 valve train issue, using the techniques and resources available on this forum, which include solid stemmed stainless steel valves and bronze valve guides, have a great record of success.

Again, best of luck with your particular plan of attack, and above all else, do not let anyone in here deter you from the basic "meat and potatoes", "brick and mortar", bread and butter, ingredients, found in successful aftermarket plans which show up throughout this forum.

Good luck.

Thank you, would rather be safe then sorry. Seen too many motors let go to ignore it.

Originally Posted by lilredvette05
Give Patrick at quality motorsports a call, i promise you wont regret it, his shop is also not too far off of 35E in lewisville so prob the closest to you. He has great selection of heads and cams and will have your Z running great at a great price
Lewisville is about 3 hours from me, so its definitely an option.

Originally Posted by KillerFRC
Here is a list of what most H/C installs consist of.
It can also very on what supporting parts you install for the perfect to you goal.

CnC LS7 Heads
Valve Springs
Hardened Push rods
Mild Cam
ARP Head Studs
Lifters
Oil
Oil Filter
Coolant
NGK spark plugs
180/160 Thermostat
Front Cover Gasket Kit
Head Gaskets
Crank Bolt
Labor to install H/C
Dyno Tune

Also this is a list of options that most have on the H/C setups.

Trunion Upgrade Kit for Rockers. - Highly recommend this option!
Larger Injectors
Fast 102 Intake
Billet Fuel Rails
Fuel Lines & Fittings
102 Throttle Body
Long tube Headers
Catch Can
Cold Air. I am going with a K&N

As for shops I recommend Lethal Performance as they have always taken good care of me and there work is hands down the cleanest I have seen.

Also Just an FYI my car is currently there for a H/C install so if you have any questions feel free to contact me and hope this helps.
Wow, thank you for this complete list! This will help a lot

Originally Posted by troller399
How many miles on your Z and are you the original owner?...Good luck with your mods
23,000 miles, I am the 3rd owner and thank you.

Originally Posted by 619grappler
I'd add the FAST 102 and the Nick Williams 102 TB if you have the budget. If not, then maybe a ported stock intake manifold and ported stock TB. More gains are seen with the FAST/NW combo obviously but they're both on the pricey side.
I have thought about the FAST 102 and TB, just not sure if the budget will allow it right now.

Originally Posted by FrankTank

Head bolts if you get nice ones from ARP will set you back close to 100 bucks, trunion upgrades are around 400 depending on if you go with CHE, C5-R Chain, and then of course labor. Looking at around 800-1000 for labor which again will vary based on what you do and supporting mods.

Looking at just over about 5k
Thanks for the information I have been eyeing those ARP bolts and I have heard good things about CHE. Thanks again

Get notified of new replies

To Heads/Cam advice (Not waiting on a failure)

Quick Reply: [Z06] Heads/Cam advice (Not waiting on a failure)