Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Anyone had their valves checked and all IN tolerance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 09:41 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond
I let my head builder be the judge of that. Your comments are basically worthless in this realm. He stated very clearly, and I repeated in that post, the exhaust valves had started to taper from top to bottom. That is not a machining issue, that is a wear issue, so all wear numbers associated with it are as such. My intakes had not tapered, according to my builder, so they are actually fine.
Considering your head builder's credentials, nobody in here can blame you for putting your consideration into what he has to say.

That said, how is the progress coming on re tapping that hole?

Have they gotten started on it yet?

I'll tell you, it's not even my car, you don't know me, and I don't know you, and you are damn near 2K miles away from me,......... but that $#** with that bolt breaking on you, makes me mad every time I think about it. I kid you not.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:46 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Considering your head builder's credentials, nobody in here can blame you for putting your consideration into what he has to say.

That said, how is the progress coming on re tapping that hole?

Have they gotten started on it yet?

I'll tell you, it's not even my car, you don't know me, and I don't know you, and you are damn near 2K miles away from me,......... but that $#** with that bolt breaking on you, makes me mad every time I think about it. I kid you not.
I appreciate the interest and thoughts

The Z is on the back burner right now. Full on move to a new city is in progress. I will have update on the Z in a month.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:48 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond
I let my head builder be the judge of that. Your comments are basically worthless in this realm. He stated very clearly, and I repeated in that post, the exhaust valves had started to taper from top to bottom. That is not a machining issue, that is a wear issue, so all wear numbers associated with it are as such. My intakes had not tapered, according to my builder, so they are actually fine.
Your exhaust guides were not 'half worn out', or to use your exact words "almost 50% of the way through spec". They were actually in spec for brand new heads.

That is and was my one and only point. And it is most certainly correct.

Last edited by Mark2009; 04-16-2013 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:43 PM
bluemagoo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnac
Anyone that has had the dealer do the "wiggle" test that came back with NO problem - how much did they charge for the check?

I'm having an oil leak (pan) looked at, and will ask for the valve guide check also (08 with 24k miles).

Thanks - Jim
Jim, my feeling is that in order to get the best sense of "wiggle" you need to remove the valve springs and stem seals & then hold the valve a bit off the seat. And it's not a quick job to do all 16. The GM flat rate for replacing my springs and valve stem seals was 7 hours. (Of course it didn't take him the whole 7 hours, but that's how the flat-rate system works-right?) What is your dealer's hourly rate?
Old 04-17-2013, 09:31 AM
C6Zhopeful393
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got my heads back from TSP they measured the guides and told me they were all over the place up to 0.003" out of round at the top of the guide and worse as you got to the bottom
Old 04-17-2013, 09:37 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by C6Zhopeful393
I just got my heads back from TSP they measured the guides and told me they were all over the place up to 0.003" out of round at the top of the guide and worse as you got to the bottom

What did you have done to your heads?
Old 04-17-2013, 10:04 AM
C6Zhopeful393
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replaced the guides with bronze ones replaced the exhaust valves with SS and did a port and polish just getting the car put back together, first fire should be tonight
Old 04-17-2013, 10:23 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by C6Zhopeful393
Replaced the guides with bronze ones replaced the exhaust valves with SS and did a port and polish just getting the car put back together, first fire should be tonight
Wow, I'll bet you are excited.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:42 PM
cyber gray
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default valve giude

Originally Posted by Boosted Josh
I dropped off my new to me 07 this morning to have a few things done one of which is checking the valve guide wear.

They didn't seem the least bit surprised that I was asking for them to be checked so I must not be the first.

Will update with results.
Can you let me know the name of the dealer that you took it to,no one in Mississippi seams to know how to do the inspection.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Anyone had their valves checked and all IN tolerance?