Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Tire truth

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 02:11 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,532 Likes on 2,610 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Out of 25,000 Z06's built, I wonder how many of them have run the Mojave Magnum mile and a half? Do you see many on the track when you are there?

Do you know of other 1.5 mile drag strips where they will let stock(no roll bars or roll cages required)cars run at 186+ MPH?
Keep in mind I didn't challenge you 0.1% number, just that I was one of them. There were 3-4 C6 Z06's there last year and several ZR-1's. There were more for the Mile event. They do require 5 or 6 pt. harness and full race suit/nomex gear and arm restraints, which cuts some of the cars out of the classes over 175 MPH.

There has only been one Magnum run as the airport iss doing work on the facility in 2013, but there is an event scheduled this fall.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:31 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by AzDave47
Keep in mind I didn't challenge you 0.1% number, just that I was one of them. There were 3-4 C6 Z06's there last year and several ZR-1's. There were more for the Mile event. They do require 5 or 6 pt. harness and full race suit/nomex gear and arm restraints, which cuts some of the cars out of the classes over 175 MPH.

There has only been one Magnum run as the airport iss doing work on the facility in 2013, but there is an event scheduled this fall.
I don't doubt that there are some Z06's(stock) that have seen over 186 MPH, but I truly believe it is very rare. You are lucky that you are one of those that have. I looked at the rules for running the unlimited class at Big Bend, but I'm not willing to chop up my car so I can run over 186 MPH.

Of course this discussion started around tires for the street for the typical Z06 owner. I still believe that a tire with a Y rating instead of a (Y) rating will be perfectly fine for the typical Z06 owner. For those that drive over 186 MPH regularly on the street, I say that they should stick with a (Y) rated tire(and keep the phone number of their attorney and their next of kin in their wallet at all times).

Last edited by JoesC5; 03-27-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:39 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,532 Likes on 2,610 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I don't doubt that there are some Z06's(stock) that have seen over 186 MPH, but I truly believe it is very rare. You are lucky that you are one of those that have. I looked at the rules for running the unlimited class at Big Bend, but I'm not willing to chop up my car so I can run over 186 MPH.

Of course this discussion started around tires for the street for the typical Z06 owner. I still believe that a tire with a Y rating instead of a (Y) rating will be perfectly fine for the typical Z06 owner. For those that drive over 186 MPH regularly on the street, I say that they should stick with a (Y) rated tire(and keep the phone number of their attorney and their next of kin in their wallet at all times).
I've not done it on the street (not wise) but my street tires are used in various driving events.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:34 PM
1981turbota
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have PS2's on my car. Temps in Germany have not reached above 45 degrees, and I don't have much traction in 2nd...1st is useless at WOT. Haven't really pushed it yet, so I can't comment on the limits of traction.

Also, I love the unrestricted straight sections of Autobahn here

Quick Reply: [Z06] Tire truth