Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] •• LS7 - Bronze Guides - Bumped Compression - Results ••

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 03:33 PM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default •• LS7 - Bronze Guides - Bumped Compression - Results ••

•• Bronze Guides - Bumped Compression - Results ••

Replaced the guides, raised the compression & ran our latest CNC program on the intake side (+ 390 CFM) - tuned..

This is one of our early LS7 track engines that was in for a "freshening"

In addition to our Gen V intake program we changed the guides, did our valve job and milled .030 to 66 cc. -

Old 03-23-2013, 03:49 PM
EX1
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Healthy numbers What shape were the guides in?
Old 03-23-2013, 04:05 PM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by EX1
Healthy numbers What shape were the guides in?
When we built the engine we swapped the exhaust valves to SS. At that time the guides were excellent - two years later and after countless track time, the exhaust guides were approaching GM's "out-of-spec" region. There were two "out-of-spec" intake guides.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:09 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by C_Williams@RPM
When we built the engine we swapped the exhaust valves to SS. At that time the guides were excellent - two years later and after countless track time, the exhaust guides were approaching GM's "out-of-spec" region. There were two "out-of-spec" intake guides.
Sounds like it was time for some normal maintenance.

Were the valves in good shape?

When you say "countless" track time, are you meaning in the neighborhood of 20 track days or more?

Also, the fact that it got along as far as it did, using the "incompatible" titanium intake valves against the bronze guides, says a lot.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:22 PM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Were the valves in good shape?
The SS valves were perfect.

6 of the ti valves showed some wear & tear on the stems (minor) ut we replaced all 8.

When you say "countless" track time, are you meaning in the neighborhood of 20 track days or more?
I'd say double that -and driven hard enough to win our Corvette Challenge two years.

Also, the fact that it got along as far as it did, using the "incompatible" titanium intake valves against the bronze guides, says a lot.
no, these heads had original guides throughout - they now have bronze guides
Old 03-23-2013, 04:27 PM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

6 of the ti valves showed some wear & tear on the stems (minor) ut we replaced all 8.

I'd say double that -and driven hard enough to win our Corvette Challenge two years.

Sounds like the stock guides held up well given the treatment to which they were subjected.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:34 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow, that is impressive track time and they're only just getting close to the out of spec range?

With 585~rwhp, I assume this car has quite a few bolts ons and cam? To have that much track time with such an aggressive setup would have been a death sentence on the OE Hollows.

Of course this isn't 100% proof, but I do think this helps validate that Heat is the primary issue with the valvetrain and that SS is much friendlier than the OE Hollows are to the Guides.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:53 PM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
Wow, that is impressive track time and they're only just getting close to the out of spec range?

With 585~rwhp, I assume this car has quite a few bolts ons and cam? To have that much track time with such an aggressive setup would have been a death sentence on the OE Hollows.

Of course this isn't 100% proof, but I do think this helps validate that Heat is the primary issue with the valvetrain and that SS is much friendlier than the OE Hollows are to the Guides.
I don't think there is enough here to come to that conclusion. For all we know the SS exhaust valves may have contributed to more wear. This is a heavily modified engine, so there are too many variables to come to explicit findings unless you have a base line example run at the same conditions.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:53 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Wow, that is a lot of track time.

Good to see that everything held up as well as it did.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:57 PM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

Wow, that is impressive track time and they're only just getting close to the out of spec range? .
These heads were nice going in - < .0015 clearance – some new heads I’ve checked are >.002

With 585~rwhp, I assume this car has quite a few bolts ons and cam? To have that much track time with such an aggressive setup would have been a death sentence on the OE Hollows. .
Yes…basic built for the track engine –

Forged pistons
ti Rods (rebuilt with ARP bolts)
CNC’d heads
Balanced & Blue Printed
Track Cam
Ported LS7 intake & TB
Headers

…looks promising..
Old 03-23-2013, 05:03 PM
philpacs
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

My very experienced machine shop guru said he thinks its a heat issue too. He showed me dozens and dozens of used exhaust valves from various LS7's compared to LS6's and other LS motors. All the LS7's had serious signs of heat wear(and where broken LS7 valves all broke) compared to the others. He said in his opinion the stock guides were good although I had him do bronze anyway. He said the powered metal is the same as they use in gears and other tried and true applications. He probably had a hundred heads, cranks, dozens of blocks, all LS's all over with 40 years experience so I put stock in his suggestions along with questioning Katech, Texas Speed and WCCH certain constants remain.

Nice numbers, curious of the other mods?
Old 03-23-2013, 05:07 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Interesting though, that Charlie just changed the valves, left the guides alone, and the guides and the engine both have lived as long as they have.

The exhaust valve guides were not quite out of spec, but two of the intake guides were out of spec.

There was talk earlier by someone else, that changing the guides, was the key, and the valves didn't matter.

But here's a case where changing the stock valves, and keeping the stock guides saw this engine get to this point.

I don't want to think what might have happened if the guides had been changed to bronze, back then, and the valves had remained the same considering that Charlie is giving an estimate of some 40 track days and enough duty that it won their Corvette Challenge for the last two years.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 03-23-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:42 PM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

Interesting though, that Charlie just changed the valves, left the guides alone, and the guides and the engine both have lived as long as they have.

The exhaust valve guides were not quite out of spec, but two of the intake guides were out of spec.

There was talk earlier by someone else, that changing the guides, was the key, and the valves didn't matter.

But here's a case where changing the stock valves, and keeping the stock guides saw this engine get to this point.

I don't want to think what would might have happened if the guides had been changed to bronze, back then, and the valves had remained the same considering that Charlie is giving an estimate of some 40 track days and enough duty that it won their Corvette Challenge for the last two years.
He won two years in a row, the year before last -

- last year it was won by another one of our customers ...and he ran two seasons so far with all bronze guides...
Old 03-23-2013, 06:16 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

He won two years in a row, the year before last -

- last year it was won by another one of our customers ...and he ran two seasons so far with all bronze guides...
Well, your reputation in here, for success on the track, is moving right up there with the "big shots" with the big GM contract Charlie.

You are definitely carving a niche and doing it one success at a time.

No arguing with your methods. No sir.

I get the impression that your clientele is not the crown prince and the sultan, with pockets deep enough to swim in, but rather the working guy who simply has to have his equipment be as durable as his pockets will allow.

Keep up the good work Charlie.

People are definitely taking notice. You're making it impossible for them not to.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:23 PM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

thank you...i give a lot of credit to the drivers and my supporting staff...

Well, your reputation in here, for success on the track, is moving right up there with the "big shots" with the big GM contract Charlie.

You are definitely carving a niche and doing it one success at a time.

No arguing with your methods. No sir.

I get the impression that your clientele is not the crown prince and the sultan, with pockets deep enough to swim in, but rather the working guy who simply has to have his equipment be as durable as his pockets will allow.

Keep up the good work Charlie.

People are definitely taking notice. You're making it impossible for them not to.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:41 PM
RGT
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Nice power Charlie.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:56 PM
ramairws6
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I don't want to think what might have happened if the guides had been changed to bronze, back then, and the valves had remained the same considering that Charlie is giving an estimate of some 40 track days and enough duty that it won their Corvette Challenge for the last two years.
Once again, it just goes to show you that the guide is being destroyed by the heat from the sodium filled valve and survived just fine with the ss valve and pure abuse

Get notified of new replies

To •• LS7 - Bronze Guides - Bumped Compression - Results ••

Old 03-24-2013, 04:25 AM
Z06Samuel
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice power
Sam
Old 03-24-2013, 06:02 AM
1981turbota
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very healthy gains, and to be expected with Charlie's top notch work! I had the pleasure of seeing the steps Charlie's team took with my heads.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:48 PM
ramairws6
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by philpacs
My very experienced machine shop guru said he thinks its a heat issue too. He showed me dozens and dozens of used exhaust valves from various LS7's compared to LS6's and other LS motors. All the LS7's had serious signs of heat wear(and where broken LS7 valves all broke) compared to the others. He said in his opinion the stock guides were good although I had him do bronze anyway. He said the powered metal is the same as they use in gears and other tried and true applications. He probably had a hundred heads, cranks, dozens of blocks, all LS's all over with 40 years experience so I put stock in his suggestions along with questioning Katech, Texas Speed and WCCH certain constants remain.

Nice numbers, curious of the other mods?
Yup, heat it is. Now whether it's the valve not being able to transfer the heat or something else we still have yet to see....

Quick Reply: [Z06] •• LS7 - Bronze Guides - Bumped Compression - Results ••