Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] resetting TPMS-

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 09:45 PM
ZIE06Bernie
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks bob much appreciated.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:02 AM
Dr. Joe
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Working Range for the pressure monitors

Does anyone know the proper range within which the tire pressure wil not set off the dashboard warning light? I have a new 2013 C6, and every time I drive it, the tire pressure warning light comes on. I have lowered the cold temp pressure from the recommended 30 psi to 29 psi, but after about 15 to 20 minutes of highway driving, the tire pressures rise to above 32 psi and then show xxx with the dashboard warning light lighting up.

Do I have defective sensors? Can the pressure range be broadened?
Old 03-08-2013, 12:36 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,532 Likes on 2,610 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Joe
Does anyone know the proper range within which the tire pressure wil not set off the dashboard warning light? I have a new 2013 C6, and every time I drive it, the tire pressure warning light comes on. I have lowered the cold temp pressure from the recommended 30 psi to 29 psi, but after about 15 to 20 minutes of highway driving, the tire pressures rise to above 32 psi and then show xxx with the dashboard warning light lighting up.

I suspect you have problems with your TPMS. Mine alarm at 24-26 PSI and give me high alert at 42PSI (09Z).
Old 03-08-2013, 05:53 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Joe

In this situation the XXX means the computer lost contact with that sensor. This causes the warning light to come on. This happened to me a couple of years ago and I had to replace the sensor...

Old 03-08-2013, 06:03 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by AzDave47
I suspect you have problems with your TPMS. Mine alarm at 24-26 PSI and give me high alert at 42PSI (09Z).
Same here, low alert below 25psi (07Z)...........
Old 03-08-2013, 06:04 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 50 4Ever
In this situation the XXX means the computer lost contact with that sensor. This causes the warning light to come on. This happened to me a couple of years ago and I had to replace the sensor...

warranty claim for OP
Old 03-08-2013, 06:06 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

with Dave!!

I don't think you have a problem with pressures - the pressures only give alerts at the pressures Dave mentions.

Do ALL tire pressures indicate "xx psi" or just one of them??

Normally "xx psi" indicates the TPMS isn't receiving a sensor - it either has a bad battery or is otherwise inop, or it's not properly programmed into the TPMS computer memory.

The fact that when you drive the pressure increases indicates that the sensors are programmed in and as the tires heat up the pressure rises.

I would suspect that a sensor battery must be bad.

These are the stock wheels, right - you haven't swapped on a different set of wheels with different sensors, have you??

Bob
Old 03-09-2013, 07:43 PM
Dr. Joe
Cruising

Bob,

The tires are those that came with the car. I bought the car at the beginning of January (a little over two months ago). It happens with all 4 tires. I don't know if it's related, but the car has difficulty finding and maintaining GPS contact too.

Guess I'll have to take the car in for service.

Thanks.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:55 PM
RegnaR
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 195 Posts

just wondering if i put nitrogen in my tires would there be any problems with the sensors?
Old 03-10-2013, 12:46 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RegnaR
just wondering if i put nitrogen in my tires would there be any problems with the sensors?
No.

Butt.....IMHO you'd be wasting time, effort, and money (if it it costs anything) by bothering with nitrogen.

Bob
Old 03-10-2013, 08:28 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As Bob already knows, the air we breeth is already 80% Nitrogen, so really don't see the big deal either, other than moisture on a humid day. Also, don't see the big fuss on the TPMS system, as think it's pretty good myself. Sure you can put the sensors in a tube to fool the car computer, but won't help with a trashed tire, because you had no warning. Personally I just roll with it, and put sensors in all my wheels.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:43 PM
Bob86gn
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is there anyway to get 2010 TPMS sensors to work in a 2007Z?
Old 03-10-2013, 10:18 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by AzDave47
BEZ06 to the rescue on TPMS again!
yep....he's the man regarding tpms....he taught me bout my 2010 and changing the tire pressure after you put it into learn mode....

thanks Bob
Old 03-10-2013, 10:19 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Bob86gn
Is there anyway to get 2010 TPMS sensors to work in a 2007Z?
short answer, no. GM decided you need a tool. like Bob said, only 2010 and 11's built in '10....you would have to change your tpms computer at minimum.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:55 PM
richy rich
Racer

Well I drove my car today-Felt great!First time this Year!
I drove it for about 20 miles the first time-no Tire warning message.
Then a few hours later about another 20 miles-still no warning.
Im thinking this is really odd??Then as I pulled in the Driveway,I had some kind of message about the tires-for a while there I thought I was the only guy who had an 06,that would "relearn" its own tpms-LOL.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:53 AM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BEZ06
When the TPMS is not getting data from the sensors (dead battery in a sensor, sensors in tires aren't programmed into the TPMS) you can't put the AH into the Comp mode or turn it off completely. The AH goes into a very intrusive mode to protect you from driving aggressively because it thinks you have a flat tire. The ABS will put on individual brakes when you turn, and the ECM will pull power when you try to accelerate unless you are going perfectly straight - it makes the car undriveable at a track event, although you shouldn't have any problems with easy driving on the street. That's why owners that track the C6 either run sensors in their track wheels, or try some workaround like sensors in a pressurized canister.

Bob
Great explanation.............but I was wondering, if I should have trouble at the track getting one of my track wheel's sensors to trigger with the tool, would the computer accept a previously-entered sensor a second time if I re-triggered it? So if I'm going the usual sequence of LF, RF, RR, LR and RR is non-responsive, would it work if I went back to LF, and then finished off with LR? Does the computer check to ensure every sensor id is unique or does it just look for four sensor responses?

BTW, your explanation highlights why I don't understand how the canister scenario can ever work. My understanding is that the computer in my 07Z will complain and invoke intrusive AH in 20 minutes after detecting no/incorrect pressure in any sensor (or missing a sensor). You indicated it took more than a bit of shaking to wake a sensor from sleep mode, and when in sleep mode, a sensor transmits once every 60 minutes, not often enough to stop the intrusive AH mode. Therefore, it's more than likely one or more canister sensors will be in sleep mode during the track day which will make Comp or "all nannies off" modes unavailable. Yet there are some folks on the forum who maintain that they successfully use the canister method for tracking their c6z's..........what am I missing?
Old 03-11-2013, 07:09 PM
Bob86gn
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tim414
short answer, no. GM decided you need a tool. like Bob said, only 2010 and 11's built in '10....you would have to change your tpms computer at minimum.
I was hoping not, but somehow knew that this would be the answer. Thanks Tim.

Get notified of new replies

To resetting TPMS-

Old 03-11-2013, 07:35 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bob86gn
I was hoping not, but somehow knew that this would be the answer. Thanks Tim.
Katech has an inexpensive tool to reset the TPMS. Bob (BEZ06) also frequently has some tools that he resells (I got one and am pleased with it).
Old 03-11-2013, 07:47 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by harrydirty
.....would the computer accept a previously-entered sensor a second time if I re-triggered it?
No - at least not on my 2009. I've tried it before, but just went out and tried it again and it just would not take the same sensor twice. Each sensor's unique ID# is logged into the TPMS memory, and the TPMS can only hold four ID#'s. Apparently the TPMS software is programmed to not allow the same ID# to be logged in twice - it seems like they must be 4 different #'s.

BTW, your explanation highlights why I don't understand how the canister scenario can ever work.....Yet there are some folks on the forum who maintain that they successfully use the canister method for tracking their c6z's..........what am I missing?
I don't understand it either - but I have never tried it. Maybe aggressive driving throws them around enough to keep them in the drive mode where they will transmit once every minute.

Bob
Old 03-11-2013, 08:38 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BEZ06
No - at least not on my 2009. I've tried it before, but just went out and tried it again and it just would not take the same sensor twice. Each sensor's unique ID# is logged into the TPMS memory, and the TPMS can only hold four ID#'s. Apparently the TPMS software is programmed to not allow the same ID# to be logged in twice - it seems like they must be 4 different #'s.

I don't understand it either - but I have never tried it. Maybe aggressive driving throws them around enough to keep them in the drive mode where they will transmit once every minute.

Bob
Yeah, I suspected the computer would not accept one sensor twice, but I wanted to check with you first.....thanks. The TPMS system is a real PITA for track guys; I just discovered the need for FRESH batteries in my TIPS tool to reliably trigger the sensors. When I start having trouble with one of the sensors again, maybe I will try the canister approach.

Quick Reply: [Z06] resetting TPMS-