Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Run flats or not

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 05:49 PM
Ramblin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Run flats or not

Folks, needing to get some new tires for my 08 Z. Have been looking at possibly going with Nitto Invo's. Have heard some positive things on them. What's the skinny on going this route versus sticking with the run flats? Thanks
Old 02-26-2013, 05:51 PM
wolf8218
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had runflats, hated them. Had Nitto Invo's, were okay. Have Michelin Pilot Super Sports, love them.

Which ever you choose, the runflats had more road noise than either Nitto or Michelin tires.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:07 PM
5280Racer
Drifting

If you have extremely expensive tires and no road side assistance i'd get runflats.. That would be my only reason.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:10 PM
sengli
Instructor

Default Sure are quiet

I have an 09 Z and had to buy a complete set of tires at 10k miles the fronts were worn thru to the steel belts showing. I went with Invos and ther are sooo much quieter than the GY runflats. I have put 6k miles on them with no issue's at all. I feel they have more than enough for the street. And I have been caught in the rain and had no issue's even when I purposely pushed them to see if they would break loose. I got all four for about $1200.00 mounted and balanced.

But if you get a flat you done. Call a flatbed.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:22 PM
spicytuna
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used to curse my run flats for being noisy but when I ran over a nail in the middle of nowhere last year, I couldn't thank them enough.

Ideally, I'd like to have a set of runflats for cross country driving and a set of Super Sports on a different set of wheels for track but that won't happen anytime soon.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:25 PM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Nitto Invo's here
Old 02-26-2013, 07:33 PM
1320IN9
Le Mans Master

Received 104 Likes on 56 Posts

nitto NT-05 here and love them, quiet and good on the street, also the price is affordable..
Old 02-26-2013, 07:39 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by spicytuna
I used to curse my run flats for being noisy but when I ran over a nail in the middle of nowhere last year, I couldn't thank them enough.

Ideally, I'd like to have a set of runflats for cross country driving and a set of Super Sports on a different set of wheels for track but that won't happen anytime soon.
Happened to me twice. After the GY, I went with Bridgestone rfts.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:59 PM
Wulverine
Le Mans Master

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Ramblin
Folks, needing to get some new tires for my 08 Z. Have been looking at possibly going with Nitto Invo's. Have heard some positive things on them. What's the skinny on going this route versus sticking with the run flats? Thanks
It really has to be a personal choice. Roll the dice and hope you don't get a flat that can't be repaired on the spot with a kit, or play it safe and buy run flats. I've rolled the dice and am running NT05's.

Last edited by Wulverine; 02-26-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:30 PM
ibleedgreen
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Michelin PSS....don't look back.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:42 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Michelin PS2ZP (runflats). Won't leave home without them. Whoever says runflats are noisy hasn't run these.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:23 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramblin

Whatever brand you may choose, IMHO get Run Flats regardless - I hope you'll never have to say "I'm glad I did" but it sure beats "Crapola why didn't I get run flats" . . . . .
Old 02-26-2013, 09:40 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

^^ This...

Up to you...if you want non-RF's, the Michelin Super sports for the win. If you want run flats, for about the same money you can get the Bridgstone RE050A's. They get rave reviews on here for the most part....excellent traction, treadlife, and noise reduction from the OE GY's. From everything I've read; the Invo's are good till about 50% tread life and then they suck.

I'm trying to hold on to my OE GY's as long as I can for the Michelin SS's to come out in runflats...but if that doesnt happen soon, I'm going with the B-stones.

Had a C5Z for several years with non-RF's and and the stock plug/compressor kit; never had an issue...ever. Had to use the run flats on my C6Z a few months ago though when I picked up a big chunk of metal in the road. No plug kit would of fixed it...as a matter of fact, the tire shop couldn't get the metal out of the tire until they dismounted the tire from the rim. Instead of screwing around on the side of the road with plugs and tire goop, or hassling with a tow truck (and I have a AAA roadside membership); I just used what my RF's were intended for and drove about a mile to the tire shop and got it patched. That's when I said I'm sticking with RF's.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:59 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
Michelin PS2ZP (runflats). Won't leave home without them. Whoever says runflats are noisy hasn't run these.

These are a great all around street/track tire that do very well in the rain as a bonus.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:56 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I have run Bridgestone Runflats for 2.5 years now on my Z and they are great tire "STREET" with great tire wear and give me great piece of mind on the road.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:14 AM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

Default Tires

Oh no, not another tire thread!!!!
Michelins for sure, Just not run flats.......PS 2's? I think is what I have. I remember taking the run flats off my C5 vert, It was like driving a brand new car.... good luck with your tires.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:13 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,473 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by meanjoe
Oh no, not another tire thread!!!!
Michelins for sure, Just not run flats.......PS 2's? I think is what I have. I remember taking the run flats off my C5 vert, It was like driving a brand new car.... good luck with your tires.
Unfortunately, most people associate run-flat tires' performance with the performance of Goodyear tires. Michelin's PS2 ZP and PSC ZP tires are actually very good tires, and I don't see them being inferior to any non-run-flat tire in terms of performance, including their own non-run-flat versions. It has been mentioned before, but Pilot Sport Cup ZP tires even use the extra-stiff sidewall to improve its handling characteristics. To top all this, you get the safety features. Besides the convenience of not having to replace a flat tire in the middle of nowhere or during faul weather, run-flat tires also KEEP THE CAR ON THE ROAD no matter what speed you're driving at. This security aspect alone is actually enough for me to use run-flat tires both on the streets and track.

Get notified of new replies

To Run flats or not

Old 02-27-2013, 03:47 AM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozer
Unfortunately, most people associate run-flat tires' performance with the performance of Goodyear tires. Michelin's PS2 ZP and PSC ZP tires are actually very good tires, and I don't see them being inferior to any non-run-flat tire in terms of performance, including their own non-run-flat versions. It has been mentioned before, but Pilot Sport Cup ZP tires even use the extra-stiff sidewall to improve its handling characteristics. To top all this, you get the safety features. Besides the convenience of not having to replace a flat tire in the middle of nowhere or during faul weather, run-flat tires also KEEP THE CAR ON THE ROAD no matter what speed you're driving at. This security aspect alone is actually enough for me to use run-flat tires both on the streets and track.
Hey Ozer
I sent you a note once telling you how fine I think your car looks. But as far as this tire issue goes......
Attached Images  
Old 02-27-2013, 03:50 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,473 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by meanjoe
Hey Ozer
I sent you a note once telling you how fine I think your car looks. But as far as this tire issue goes......
Well, as your name suggests, you're mean

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...lar-tires.html

An example to what happens if a tire gives up when you're driving flat-out:

GT-R's tire failure at 150 MPH (has run-flats):
Old 02-27-2013, 04:05 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I run factory run flats on the street with mine, as don't want the hassel of a break down in the middle of nowhere. Come time to sell your car, most buyers expect to see run flats, and you might chase away some prospective buyers without them.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Run flats or not