Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] NEED HELP!!!! proving to warranty company

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 11:16 AM
Prime Target
Drifting

Received 279 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by crAzy03Z06
Well I am sure they will do everything they can against him so they won't have to shell out $18K for a motor.
I agree that the warranty companies will go to extremes to deny claims, but this is totally absurd on face value. There's more to the story here. Sorry to hear about his motor, but give the WHOLE story so you can get the help you are looking for.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:31 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Prime Target
Just being a realist here. Sorry dude, but this sounds ridiculous. A warranty being denied over a video on a Facebook page? How about posting the video on this thread so we can see what kind of video denied your claim? I'd like to see what allegedly got your warranty claim denied. And the claim that a warranty company stalks FB is absurd. More to the story than being told here folks...
No, I'm afraid it is not ridiculous.

I know of one member in here whose warranty was denied due to a Youtube video.

And another member who had video on the internet of his car failing on a track, and whose dealership insisted that he remove it, during the time that his car was under review for repair.

So it is possible for a warranty company, or anyone else to get ahold of video and use it against you.

That said, I do agree with you that he should name the warranty company who he claims did this to him, if for no other reason , than to warn others what might be in store for them should they have the same warranty that he has, or if they are contemplating using the same warranty company he is using.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:41 AM
spicytuna
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just being a realist here. Sorry dude, but this sounds ridiculous. A warranty being denied over a video on a Facebook page? How about posting the video on this thread so we can see what kind of video denied your claim? I'd like to see what allegedly got your warranty claim denied. And the claim that a warranty company stalks FB is absurd. More to the story than being told here folks...
Nothing surprising with that.

My company fired someone who was on long term disability for depression when they searched and found some partying pictures on that individuals facebook page.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:42 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

I agree that the warranty companies will go to extremes to deny claims, but this is totally absurd on face value. There's more to the story here. Sorry to hear about his motor, but give the WHOLE story so you can get the help you are looking for.
Not absurd at all. Its exactly what you would do if you owned the company warrantying his car.

The car comes in with a blown engine. Going by the OP post its all blacked out, has a CAI on it and an axle back exhaust. RED FLAG. This is NOT your standard Z06 owner. He has modded the car and that tells them that he most likely raced it. They do a little investigation and the evidence is there. Warranty Voided.

Ive said this in another thread and got flack and BS definitions of racing from many people. If you track your car and they catch you in a video or other you stand a good chance of having your warranty voided. Pay to play.

Good luck to the OP but I am sure you are SOL.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:16 PM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by propain
Not absurd at all. Its exactly what you would do if you owned the company warrantying his car.

The car comes in with a blown engine. Going by the OP post its all blacked out, has a CAI on it and an axle back exhaust. RED FLAG. This is NOT your standard Z06 owner. He has modded the car and that tells them that he most likely raced it. They do a little investigation and the evidence is there. Warranty Voided.

Ive said this in another thread and got flack and BS definitions of racing from many people. If you track your car and they catch you in a video or other you stand a good chance of having your warranty voided. Pay to play.

Good luck to the OP but I am sure you are SOL.
Then warranties should put on their statement that catback and cai will void their warranty.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:46 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by crAzy03Z06
Then warranties should put on their statement that catback and cai will void their warranty.

I think that part of his point is, once they see what the car has on it, when it comes in with a problem as severe as a blown engine, then it's a simple matter for them to start looking for other evidence, underneath the car such as rubber, in the fenderwells or melted to the exhaust cans, edges of front tires worn from high speed turning and braking, brake pads, rotors, and bushings, worn disproportionate to the mileage on the car, and other evidence outside of the physical examination of the car such as videos, that it was raced.

For example, in this particular instance, they know his name, they would also know what state or other locale the car is registered just from his name and the fact that it is their company covering the warranty on it.

They have the VIN, as they are the ones holding the warranty on it, and from there, may even be able to gain the license plate number from his local DMV.

They search for local tracks in his area, and start looking for videos shot at local tracks in his area, and posted up on Facebook, YouTube, etc. Especially those videos with "Z06" in the title.

They start looking for black Z06s in those videos.

If they are able to identify his, from wheels, tint, plate, whatever.....if the car in the video, looks just like the one they have been called in to approve warranty on, then his warranty is shot.

And god forbid his name is in those videos.

If they really wanted to put the screws to him, they could tell him: "We have reason to believe that you were racing this car, and we want you to sign an affidavit to the effect that you were not, before we will authorize repairs on it. Under penalty of perjury and fraud, is this your car in the video that we have here?"

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 01-30-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:08 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
I think that part of his point is, once they see what the car has on it, when it comes in with a problem as severe as a blown engine, then it's a simple matter for them to start looking for other evidence, underneath the car such as rubber, in the fenderwells or melted to the exhaust cans, edges of front tires worn from high speed turning and braking, brake pads, rotors, and bushings, worn disproportionate to the mileage on the car, and other evidence outside of the physical examination of the car such as videos, that it was raced.

For example, in this particular instance, they know his name, they would also know what state or other locale the car is registered just from his name and the fact that it is their company covering the warranty on it.

They have the VIN, as they are the ones holding the warranty on it, and from there, may even be able to gain the license plate number from his local DMV.

They search for local tracks in his area, and start looking for videos shot at local tracks in his area, and posted up on Facebook, YouTube, etc. Especially those videos with "Z06" in the title.

They start looking for black Z06s in those videos.

If they are able to identify his, from wheels, tint, plate, whatever.....if the car in the video, looks just like the one they have been called in to approve warranty on, then his warranty is shot.

And god forbid his name is in those videos.

If they really wanted to put the screws to him, they could tell him: "We have reason to believe that you were racing this car, and we want you to sign an affidavit to the effect that you were not, before we will authorize repairs on it. Under penalty of perjury and fraud, is this your car in the video that we have here?"

Exactly. Its not his mods that voided the warranty. Its his mods that made them look into it a bit further.

I know for a fact GM and other warranty companies send "Spies" to test and tune track days and other type events to photograph all the cars in the event someone blows up on the track or brings their car in shortly after for a warranty claim.

If you want to be smart, remove your plates, tape over the VIN and don't have a car with distinctive features. Also don't post videos of it on the track. Dont even talk about it on a forum. What fun is that though?
Old 01-30-2013, 04:11 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Which Insurance company OP?...No harm now they have denied your coverage...Call them out...
Old 01-30-2013, 04:23 PM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yea I had to call my warranty place up and ask them if it was ok to add a catback exhaust and cai. They said yes I can. So thats what I will be doing for the next 4 years lol.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:24 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by propain
Exactly. Its not his mods that voided the warranty. Its his mods that made them look into it a bit further.

I know for a fact GM and other warranty companies send "Spies" to test and tune track days and other type events to photograph all the cars in the event someone blows up on the track or brings their car in shortly after for a warranty claim.

If you want to be smart, remove your plates, tape over the VIN and don't have a car with distinctive features. Also don't post videos of it on the track. Dont even talk about it on a forum. What fun is that though?
Well, thats no fun at all ..................

DH
Old 01-30-2013, 06:52 PM
Mike McGinnis
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
When did your power train warranty expire? I would suggest you contact GM through your local dealer and see what they might do for you. Tell them it is an 07 with 49K miles and ask for help. The worst they can say is NO. If they say NO then write a polite letter to the President of GM and ask him to help. It doesn't need to be a long letter. Just state what year and model your car is, how many miles it has on it and what happened to the engine. Then tell him exactly what you want. Don't rant and rave make it simple, clear and to the point. Send along copies of repair estimates.

He will never see the letter because all corporations have people who handle these kinds of things for the boss. All it will cost you is some paper, time and a stamp so why not try and see what will happen. When I did that a number a years ago it took about 4 weeks to get a response granting me everything I asked for.

Bill

It never hurts to ask, and you may catch someone on a good day!
Old 01-30-2013, 07:53 PM
ZZZZZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Landru

Never saw that coming.

Facebook? Forewarned is forearmed. "A wise man learns from his mistakes, a wiser man learns from other men's mistakes."
Mark Zuckerberg is the antichrist.

Good luck to the OP.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:02 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by spicytuna
Nothing surprising with that.

My company fired someone who was on long term disability for depression when they searched and found some partying pictures on that individuals facebook page.
Yup; I know people who have been terminated, and even applicants who have been passed over due to Facebook pages that depict "conduct unbecoming".
Old 01-31-2013, 08:39 AM
black07zo6
Intermediate

Originally Posted by troller399
Which Insurance company OP?...No harm now they have denied your coverage...Call them out...
well its not completly over just yet
Old 01-31-2013, 09:15 AM
JwT
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by black07zo6
well its not completly over just yet
I don't understand. Here we have 4 pages of you telling us that your motor is toast and that you have been denied warranty coverage for the motor. I would be naming the company on the first post. As for any company using a video to deny a claim they just don't do it. Unless your in the video saying man look at me tear this car up, it wouldn't hold up in court. They know that they would need a lot more than that to convince a judge. The LS7 has a history of dropping exhaust valves for no reason whatsoever and that would be on your side. If what your telling us is correct their calling your bluff. They have everything to gain if you walk away. I wouldn't be wasting any time here on the forum but would instead be retaining a lawyer. The last time you talked to them would have been the time to let them know that (I'll see you in court for motor repairs, lawyers fees and court costs.) Get that lawyer today...

Last edited by JwT; 01-31-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:17 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

It's not Facebooks fault or really any websites fault. These companies don't just search facebook, they search THE INTERNET, youtube, streetfire etc.. how many dozens or more car websites. Nobody forced the OP with a Gun to his head to post a video, or pics of his car on the Internet.

I am not trying to diss the OP, it sucks royally the warranty company is screwing him, but everyone knows, once its out on the Internet , it's public information. Facebook is just another website. People have gotten caught here on this very site too for the same thing .

As Quick pointed out, this is why a good deal of folks now are ditching the aftermarket warranty , or cashing them in and going a different route.

Had OP car been stock, I think he would have a fighting chance, but a modded tracked car that fails.. SOL
Old 01-31-2013, 09:44 AM
black07zo6
Intermediate

does anyone know were i can get Corvette Owner Instructional DVD

Quick Reply: [Z06] NEED HELP!!!! proving to warranty company