Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Spring Mountain Level II: Great experience parlayed to COTA track day

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 12:01 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Spring Mountain Level II: Great experience parlayed to COTA track day

I did the Level II at Spring Mountain this past Thursday and Friday. Outstanding time once again. I did the 3-day ZR1 school last year and finally was able to get out for the Level II program.

Rick, Rico, Ken, Rocky, Melinda, and the rest of the gang were awesome as usual. They have such a nice facility and everyone is just so friendly, the cars are so well maintained and new, etc. Weather was nice too besides a bit of wind.

Below is my link to my review of the 3 day ZR1 program last year:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-mountain.html

This time, it was more of the same, just better. We got almost 300 track miles and I would say maybe 30% of the time was in the classroom and the rest was on track with, heel-toe exercise, then follow the instructor for most of first day. Then instructor follow you, instructor ride with you, and then open lapping with transponders to finish off the second day.

It all came together for me on the last session in the Z06. When I finished what I felt like was a few good laps, I pull back around the building and Rick Malone comes walking out. He asks if I was taking it easy out there and I look at him puzzled. He again asks if I was just taking it easy out there. I told him I was trying to be smoother, less abrupt with my inputs and apply what he had taught me.

He then told me I had just set the overall Level II student lap record. It was a 1:55.852 in a stock Z06 on the 2.4 mile course. I backed it up two laps later with a 1:56:603 and two 1:57 lap times prior to the 1:55. Rest of the laps were with traffic.

Here is a pic of my driving the screamin' fast #51 Z06 on that last session:

I was pumped and very happy with my progress. So, I fly home Friday night, get up Saturday morning, pack for Circuit of the Americas and head down there. A neighbor brought my Michelin racing slicks down there for me as he was towing his track car.

Well, guess what happened on my last session as well at COTA? I set the fastest lap of the weekend. There was over 200 (only advanced solo approved) drivers out there this weekend with everything from stock Miata's, Viper ACR on Hoosiers, Porsche GT3 on slicks, to full blown Ferrari 430 Challenge cars with semi-pro drivers. My 2010 ZR1 with Motul brake fluid, Michelin racing slicks, and otherwise stock just cleaned up the field. The 430 Challenge car reportedly ran a 2:26 lap time. I ran a 2:22.272. Here is the link to the video:

Here is a link to a back to back 2:26 and 2:24 lap time:

Finally, here is a link to the full last session. Towards the end, chasing a very fast modded GT-R on Hoosier R-comps, I set my 2:22 time.

Overall, just a total blast at Spring Mountain and then COTA. Thanks again to everyone at Spring Mountain for all the help. It certainly helped me at COTA yesterday.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:16 PM
Joezone914
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Congrats on the record. It looks like a lot of fun. What is done on your exhaust it sounds little louder and more throaty than stock. It sounds great! I'm looking to go a little louder WOT but keep it nice on the freeway.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:16 PM
topshotZR1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very cool, I will be going there this spring... how fost did you get upto on that back straight?
Old 01-14-2013, 04:09 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Thanks guys. Exhaust is stock with the mild to wild switch. The external mic is secured about a foot or so above the exhaust, so it screams from that angle.

topshot, I was averaging between 150-160mph towards the end of the back straight.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:45 PM
onargaroberts
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

What organization sponsored this COTA track day? Thanks.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:55 PM
JC13ZR1
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default simply beautiful!

Was great watching you just eat those other cars up! I can't wait to track mine.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:38 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

great report & excellent achievements...
Old 01-14-2013, 10:20 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Congrats on the awesome driving man. Looks like the new michies and wheels are a great setup for your car..

Thanks for sharing the vids, I was glued to my seat.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:36 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by onargaroberts
What organization sponsored this COTA track day? Thanks.

www.thedriversedge.net. Great organization!

Thanks for the kind words guys!
Old 01-15-2013, 12:38 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

awesome work on the level II lap record i need to head out there sometime for the level II program glad to hear there is alot of track time
Old 01-15-2013, 10:17 AM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,102 Likes on 753 Posts

Awesome videos from COTA and a great SM summary. Thanks for sharing.

Was it in any way a letdown not driving the ZR1 during Level II at Spring Mountain? Just curious.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:30 AM
onargaroberts
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

www.thedriversedge.net. Great organization!
Thanks for the information.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:27 AM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 09Z06pj
Awesome videos from COTA and a great SM summary. Thanks for sharing.

Was it in any way a letdown not driving the ZR1 during Level II at Spring Mountain? Just curious.
Honestly no. I LOVE my ZR1 obviously as evidenced by it's ability to destroy everything at COTA this past weekend, but the Grand Sport and moreso the Z06 are very nice and balanced machines, perfect for practicing the finer precision skills taught at Level 2.

I'd recommend Level 2 for anyone, even someone like me who has run track days for over a decade. I get lazy with trying to get better and let the capabilities of the Corvette mask my deficiences and mistakes. Rick Malone is a perfectionist, so when he said even a bobble on an otherwise perfect lap bothered him, it helped me realize what is needed to really try to get to the next level of driving. Nothing less than zero mistakes is what it takes and to work towards that goal is how you have the ability to get really good.

I'm 36 and have a bad back, so I don't think any race teams are going to call me. But, I love track driving, so it's very rewarding to get better and faster. Spring Mountain is a perfect way to do that.

Also, the cost isn't cheap, BUT think about this...I ran almost 300 track miles with their fuel, their brake pads, and their expensive PS2 tires. Add in the instruction, great breakfast and lunch both days, and the very nice facilities/condos. It's really not a bad deal at all. I spend a lot of money for each track day in my ZR1 when I add up all my costs and being able to use someone's elses car is refreshing and enjoyable.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:43 AM
2010C6ZR1
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice 2010 ZR1 - Awesome videos!!! It must have been quite an experience to run at COTA. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:47 PM
VasMan
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Corey I was there about 10 secs slower than you. You rock the ZR1. Congrats! Thanks for putting me in contact with Daniel @ Finspeed. Great guy and excellent Product. Thanks to Finspeed for letting me demo a few sessions their wheels and Tires. See you around at another driver's edge event. CoTa was a fantastic experience.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:09 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Nice finally meeting you in person, Vasman! Daniel and Finspeed are AWESOME. I'm going to try to make the March 2/3 event at TWS. Rick with Drivers Edge just put me on the standby list and said I should get in no problem.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:24 PM
VasMan
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Good to meet you too. It looks like I will be overseas for that event. I will be at Cresson in Feb with them and MSRH end of Jan.

BTW. I forgot the traction control on on my second run on the slicks and it totally obliterated my front inner driver's side brake pad (only one) while braking hard to take turn One. I do not know how this can happen.. just one pad? Any thoughts?

Get notified of new replies

To Spring Mountain Level II: Great experience parlayed to COTA track day

Old 01-15-2013, 04:13 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by VasMan
Good to meet you too. It looks like I will be overseas for that event. I will be at Cresson in Feb with them and MSRH end of Jan.

BTW. I forgot the traction control on on my second run on the slicks and it totally obliterated my front inner driver's side brake pad (only one) while braking hard to take turn One. I do not know how this can happen.. just one pad? Any thoughts?
Uh, that's weird. I'd have the dealership take a look at that. Traction/stability control shouldn't cook just one pad on the same wheel.

Represent the ZR1 at Cresson and MSRH and I'll hold down the fort at TWS in March!
Old 01-16-2013, 07:49 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,840 Likes on 1,157 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Nice driving as usual Cory. I still think *grumble* we need to get you *wince* a solid mount for that camera *barf*! because that helmet mounted one just makes me ill watching it.

Ugh. Breakfast, part two.

jas
Old 01-17-2013, 11:41 AM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Jas, more people like the helmet mount than dislike it. It's pretty funny (and I know I'm not the sole reason), but more and more track videos have helmet mounted cameras on youtube and it all started when I started posting helmet mounted videos on there. Again, I know I'm not the sole reason, but I helped get it going.

Plus, it's so easy. You don't need a harness mount or anything else. Just stick one of that slide adapter from the GoPro onto your helmet, slide on the camera with mount and turn it on.

A guy at Spring Mountain was showing off some eyeglass mounted camera where the camera was right between the eyes on the eyeglass. It was 1080p high resolution and looked great! Plus, you could see the HUD display too.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Spring Mountain Level II: Great experience parlayed to COTA track day