Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Katech LS7 Valvetrain Dynamics testing approved - seeking input from Corvette Forum

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 02:25 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
The goal is to answer these questions:
Is it safe to run solid exhaust valves with the stock camshaft?
Is it safe to run solid exhaust valves with your typical aftermarket camshaft?
Does switching to a heavier spring with solid exhaust valves have any negative effects?
What is the limiting speed with heavier valves?
Awesome, great news, thanks Jason/Katech, can't wait to see the results!
Old 01-11-2013, 07:19 AM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
. . . . If anything the heavier roller rockers would hurt valve train stability.
Theory suggest this would be the case, but we don't actually know with specific combinations of parts. I'm hoping Katech can provide solid evidence.

BTW, I am only interested in steel roller rockers. Aluminum rockers aren't really intended for longevity. Others with experience could comment?
Old 01-11-2013, 08:30 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Mark200X
Wow! Now this is what you call hard core vendor support for the forum and community. Hats off to Jason & Katech

a) Given the test results published in the GM Hi Tech Perf article several years back, I would suggest that #2 and #5 are redundant, unless the cam profile used back then is different from what is proposed now.

b) I wonder if Katech has looked at the PAC 1518 beehive spring; online specs show that it could install at 1.800" for the stock cam (1.140 coil bind) with a seat pressure of 130#, which makes wonder if it might control the heavier solid stainless exhaust valve (even tho the open pressure is less than the PSI) while still providing the advantages of a beehive over a dual. Perhaps that would be worth a test for those that are skittish about the OEM exhaust valve but would like to keep the rest of the valvetrain as light as possible (and keeping the stock cam).

c) Lastly I'm wondering if Katech's FI cam might be added to the mix, especially with the beehive springs, since from what I understand it is designed for the heavier solid stainless valve and again might be an option for those wanting to change valves but keep the rest of the valvetrain light (if none of the beehives are a 'go' for the heavier valve). I have no idea if that would be a suitable grind for an NA car... just a thought.
a) True, but we'll probably baseline again
b) Yes, we've used that spring before with the Torquer cam. They worked well, but we chose the PSI because they also performed well and are priced well.
c) It could be used in an NA car. That will be considered.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 01-11-2013, 08:32 AM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

subb'n for some results.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:41 AM
MP&RPZ06
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Good news. I have received budget approval to run a valvetrain dynamics test for development purposes to prove out a few of the questions posed here on the forum. Before I write the test plan, I'm interested in hearing input from you guys to see if there are additional combinations that need testing. I'm not saying that every combination posted here will get tested, or any additional at all, but your suggestions will be considered.

We would like to run this test as soon as possible. The valvetrain test cell is currently down due to computer problems, but repairs are in progress that should get it back up and running within days. Because it was down there is a bit of a backup of programs that are waiting for testing so we will have to wait in line, but once it gets fixed that should go through smoothly. In other words, I can't guarantee exactly when, but it will get done soon.

Here is how I see the test plan:
1. Stock cam/springs, stock valves
2. Stock cam/springs, solid stainless exhaust valve
3. Stock cam/dual springs, solid stainless exhaust valve
4. Torquer cam/PSI springs, stock valves (already tested long ago, but we will baseline again)
5. Torquer cam/PSI springs, solid stainless exhaust valves
6. Torquer cam/dual springs, solid stainless exhaust valves
7. Torquer cam/PSI springs, Ti exhaust valve

The Torquer cam will be an example of your typical aftermarket cam lobe profile.

If there is any vendor out there who wishes to have their combination tested we would be happy to include it in the mix for just the cost of running the additional combinations.

Input is encouraged.

#4 has been done once already, has those results been posted on CF?
Old 01-11-2013, 09:56 AM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RFZ
totally cool!!
perfect timing for me as my mods have just started showing up....was going to contact katech about the torquer....my 07 with 37k has been great....i prefer beehive springs myself .... trying to decide what to do to heads/ what cam to install...i know this goes against the grain here but i also prefer the factory valves / guides...i truly believe when everything is as designed these are good for 100k...

my own past experience with aftermarket springs/retainers/guides and extreme cams is they will never be 100k type mods...so cant wait to see the results
Actually since there are many Z06s running around with 100,000+ miles (and in at least one case 200,000+) it is obvious DESIGN is not an issue, thus to explain premature failures you must conclude that periodically there is an issue with improper EXECUTION of a proper design.

While I applaud Kateck's willingness to do some spinton testing this will do absolutely NOTHING to identifing exactly what EXECUTION problem is causing the premature failures. So while all of those people who have heavy exhaust valves will find out whether they need to lower their rev limit and/or what spring they NEED to run to control their heavier valves, they still wont have a clue as to whether the 'fix' they have invested in will have ANY impact over the long run.

So no matter how many times Ricky repeats himself about how this is "real research" and how others attempting to identify what the EXECUTION problem is, are just wasting time, he seems to have missed out on the fact that what Katech is about to research has nothing to do with what the root cause is of the failures. Of course this is understandable since one who has already spent the time/effort/money on what they believe will solve the 'root cause' problem have NO interest in knowing the answer to that question...in fact they can only sleep better at night NOT knowing what the answer is.

IMHO a true service to the community would be to determine what the root cause is...doing reasearch into determining what spring or valve to run so you can hopefully achieve the same valvetrain stability one has with a STOCK engine while using NON-stock parts, clearly only serves the interests of selling more non-stock parts. Of course since this IS the business Katech is in, their proposed testing is completely logical for them.

Cheers, Paul.

BTW, for the record I don't believe simply saying "the problem is the guides" answers anything since those same guides can and have proven themselves in many cars over the very long run. IF one were to say "the problem is the guides because SOMETIMES they have been installed or machined incorrectly" it would be a completely different statement, one which would require much more research to make. So personally I wont discourage anyone from attempting that sort of research and would NEVER claim such attempts are a disservice to the community.

Last edited by MTIRC6Z; 01-11-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:04 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by MTIRC6Z

So while all of those people who have heavy exhaust valves will find out whether they need to lower their rev limit and/or what spring they NEED to run to control their heavier valves,

Cheers, Paul.
Paul

Do you preclude the possibility that the SS valve and correct corresponding spring could actually be more stable at and even above 7000 RPM than the OEM ??

DH
Old 01-11-2013, 10:07 AM
rinus brand
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your test plan:

Here is how I see the test plan:
1. Stock cam/springs, stock valves
2. Stock cam/springs, solid stainless exhaust valve
3. Stock cam/dual springs, solid stainless exhaust valve
4. Torquer cam/PSI springs, stock valves (already tested long ago, but we will baseline again)
5. Torquer cam/PSI springs, solid stainless exhaust valves
6. Torquer cam/dual springs, solid stainless exhaust valves
7. Torquer cam/PSI springs, Ti exhaust valve

======================================== =====
Hallo Jason,

This is good news

You advised me to go to WCC Richard

Richard Reyman
West Coast Cylinder Heads
18405 Hart St.
Reseda, CA 91335
www.proheads.com
(818) 705-5454
mailto:richard@proheads.com

I installed his advised Brodix heads in my C6 Z06 -2007 with:

Brodix LS7 CNC porter's casting

REV LS7 Exhaust Valve 1.625" 8mm 5.230" OAL w/.290 tip.

GM LS7 titanium intake valve

GM Lash cap for titanium valve

Patriot Extreme Spring Kit 1 290.00

CNC BR 265-99-71 CNC Porting 265-99-71 for all Brodix BR7 castings

Comp V8 Competition Valve Job V8 Cylinder Heads

Hone to size Hone Guides to size (V8 Heads)

Surface V8 & V6 Surface V8 and V6 Cylinder Heads Minimum .030"

Assemble Wash and finsh assemble

Regards Rinus
Old 01-11-2013, 10:14 AM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Paul

Do you preclude the possibility that the SS valve and correct corresponding spring could actually be more stable at and even above 7000 RPM than the OEM ??

DH
No I would not preclude that possibility, in fact it would seem completely possible, the only question would be "at what cost"...and I'm not just speaking of money. It would seem unlikely that the additional stress created in such a situation would allow for truly long term reliability, but then again maybe with expensive enough parts it would be possible???

Cheers, Paul.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:14 AM
CGZO6
Drifting

Received 325 Likes on 180 Posts

Sub'd anyway.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:15 AM
adamgl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 01-11-2013, 10:35 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Actually since there are many Z06s running around with 100,000+ miles (and in at least one case 200,000+) it is obvious DESIGN is not an issue, thus to explain premature failures you must conclude that periodically there is an issue with improper EXECUTION of a proper design.

While I applaud Kateck's willingness to do some spinton testing this will do absolutely NOTHING to identifing exactly what EXECUTION problem is causing the premature failures. So while all of those people who have heavy exhaust valves will find out whether they need to lower their rev limit and/or what spring they NEED to run to control their heavier valves, they still wont have a clue as to whether the 'fix' they have invested in will have ANY impact over the long run.

So no matter how many times Ricky repeats himself about how this is "real research" and how others attempting to identify what the EXECUTION problem is, are just wasting time, he seems to have missed out on the fact that what Katech is about to research has nothing to do with what the root cause is of the failures. Of course this is understandable since one who has already spent the time/effort/money on what they believe will solve the 'root cause' problem have NO interest in knowing the answer to that question...in fact they can only sleep better at night NOT knowing what the answer is.

IMHO a true service to the community would be to determine what the root cause is...doing reasearch into determining what spring or valve to run so you can hopefully achieve the same valvetrain stability one has with a STOCK engine while using NON-stock parts, clearly only serves the interests of selling more non-stock parts. Of course since this IS the business Katech is in, their proposed testing is completely logical for them.

Cheers, Paul.

BTW, for the record I don't believe simply saying "the problem is the guides" answers anything since those same guides can and have proven themselves in many cars over the very long run. IF one were to say "the problem is the guides because SOMETIMES they have been installed or machined incorrectly" it would be a completely different statement, one which would require much more research to make. So personally I wont discourage anyone from attempting that sort of research and would NEVER claim such attempts are a disservice to the community.
The problem is the guides because some of them were machined incorrectly. GM has stated this. Please lets not turn this thread into another debate on whether or not that is the problem. This thread is about valvetrain dynamics testing different valves, not a guide wear debate.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:36 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

The dual spring used with the solid stainless valve will be heavier seat pressure to be matched with the heavier valve. Brand is TBD.
Suggest testing the current recommended setup by WCCH

1. BT Platinum dual spring kit. For .660" Lift.
2. REV LS7 Exhaust Valve 1.615" 8mm 5.230" OAL w/.290 tip.

DH
Old 01-11-2013, 10:44 AM
08VRZ06
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Suggest testing the current recommended setup by WCCH

1. BT Platinum dual spring kit. For .660" Lift.
2. REV LS7 Exhaust Valve 1.615" 8mm 5.230" OAL w/.290 tip.

DH
Jason/Katech - Thanks for doing this!!

DH

They were also using the Manley Dual Spring Kit p/n 221436 which is what they put in my heads..... They are a .660 spring set also.

Mark
Old 01-11-2013, 11:39 AM
lt1z
Melting Slicks

Received 170 Likes on 143 Posts

Yes. I would like to see a quality dual spring tested with an SS valve and a cam not on xer lobes. I would be willing to provide a cam.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:04 PM
cyber gray
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Jason,for taking the time and effort.

Regards wil
Old 01-11-2013, 12:27 PM
Mig233
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Of course this is understandable since one who has already spent the time/effort/money on what they believe will solve the 'root cause' problem have NO interest in knowing the answer to that question...in fact they can only sleep better at night NOT knowing what the answer is.
An epidemic around here for sure!

Another great thread...I will stay tuned to see the results. And will interpret the results with a totally impartial mindset.

Get notified of new replies

To Katech LS7 Valvetrain Dynamics testing approved - seeking input from Corvette Forum

Old 01-11-2013, 12:44 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,457 Likes on 2,274 Posts

I'm in for the learning.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:16 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

The problem is the guides because some of them were machined incorrectly. GM has stated this. Please lets not turn this thread into another debate on whether or not that is the problem. This thread is about valvetrain dynamics testing different valves, not a guide wear debate.

Well put Jason.

Go ahead and get started on the research and don't let any of this other junk impede that progress.

Best of luck and I'm looking forward to your results.

Rick.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:47 PM
ramairws6
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

.....and it "still" doesn't explain why the exhaust guides are bad and on the exact same head the intake guides are perfect. Jeeshh, what part of this does not help you understand why we still question GM's (and Katech's) answer to the issue!????

Quick Reply: [Z06] Katech LS7 Valvetrain Dynamics testing approved - seeking input from Corvette Forum