Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Katech LS7 Valvetrain Dynamics testing approved - seeking input from Corvette Forum

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 02:33 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by palindrome1H
Quick, I'm going to take a wild shot in the dark and say you are a glass half empty kind of guy.
No, I'm actually a glass half full type guy. I'm an optimist.

And that's why, for the record, I'm not saying that the work should not be appreciated, or that it has no worth or won't be of benefit. I'm not saying that.

I'm only stating that any work where the investigator is also one of the test subjects, or his offerings are among the test items, is going to be open to scrutiny, and that is as it should be.

Now people don't like me saying that, but it's the truth.

Originally Posted by palindrome1H
If you care so much, you buy all the parts from all different manufacturers and then build/buy the test rigs. Didn't think so. No one cares about your novel long posts and rebuttals. Katech isn't going to risk their reputation on making some extra money. You heard it from Jason, they have 4 Katech engines in the race this weekend. Do you have any idea as to how much money they get for having the engine contracts with these racing teams? These tests and results are peanuts compared to those who have an LS7 and plan to modify it with a new valve train in the next year or two. Take off your tin foil hat and just be thankful someone gives 2 poops about our motors and is putting their money where their mouth is. Now hush. I think we get your point. And 99% of us could not care any less. Unless of course you are going to spend 100k+ and do your own independent tests.
Judging from your attitude above and "tin foil" reference, and then suggesting that I do the testing, do you really think that any test which I did on this, would be truly independent and unbiased?

You'd be among the first in a long line in here screaming and shouting that anything I came up with, could not be trusted, before I could even get started.

And you'd be well within reason to be concerned about the above. I'd have no other choice, based upon my well known position on this matter, but to recuse myself from any testing procedures with regard to this issue. As such, I'm not going to spend the 100 grand for the testing equipment and do what you suggest by conducting a test of my own.

You know, on a serious note, people actually sent me PMs declaring this attitude demonstrated in your post was pervasive, and I thought they were crazy.

I wonder just why some of you are awaiting the results of these tests. As for many of those like yourself, it seems to be nothing more than a formality.

But I'm going to leave you all in this thread to carry on with your vigil.

Plenty of other discussions going on elsewhere

:

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 05-30-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:05 AM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
For me to come in here and gloat; "Well, Katech says that solid stainless valves are alright, so they must be alright", would make me just as guilty as some of those whom I have been critical of in the past for hanging onto their every word as if it were the last word.
Instead of what, hanging on to every word that you have said as if it were the last word? Bottom line is that you were one of the most vocal and adamant preachers of the "you are stupid if you do not change your valve guides and switch over to SS valves" message which caused panic and concern to run rife on this forum. Katech has always said that they feel that this is an issue that affects a limited amount of engines and is probably not something that you should "freak out" about. They have also said that if you do decide to take preventative measures to avoid any type of valve failure then change the guides and replace the stock intake valves with a similar weight TiMo valve that they offer but there is no need to replace the exhaust valves. You again felt the need to argue against that saying that only fixes half of the problem, why spend all that money and not switch all of the valves, switching over to the much heavier SS valves is already "race proven" over time, tons of shops recommend it etc. etc. etc. Bottom line, you have already convinced your self that the configuration that you wanted to run was best. You then went on to repeatedly hammer home to everyone that "fix" as the right way of doing things and defended that through posting a seemingly never ending and frankly exhausting amount of quotations from previous posts on this forum.

Now you are doing the same thing here. Bottom line, every single person on here knows that you feel that switching over to SS valves is the correct fix for you. We all now clearly understand that you feel Katech is biased and that whatever findings they post are also going to be biased. Great, thank you for giving us your input. I and I'm sure most others on here would like the opportunity to first actually see those testing results and then come to our own conclusions about the validity of whatever those results might be. I have absolutely no interest in seeing this thread turn into another '06 Quicksilver Z06 debate with page after page after page after page after page of you quoting past posts and endlessly attempting to ram your opinion down peoples throats. In one day already you have managed to consume nearly 3 pages. If you keep going in a week we are going to be wading through 20+ pages of garbage. This thread was started by Jason to discuss some testing that they were willing to do, please respect that. If you want to start a debate about "this test being biased or not" then please, please start your own thread so that this one does not get completely destroyed and we all do not have to suffer through reading all of it.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:11 AM
Werks
Drifting

But I'm going to leave you all in this thread to carry on with your vigil.

Plenty of other discussions going on elsewhere

:
We must have been posting at the same time. All that I can say is thanks and Glad that this thread is not going to become another
Old 05-30-2013, 09:00 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[...] A negative report from them on the solid stainless valves, and a positive outcome for Katech's setups, which are candidates in this testing, could influence those currently on the fence about this matter, to head in Katech's direction for one of Katech's Torquer with stock valve packages, and thus funnel business towards them as a result of the reported outcome of the test. It could tip those off the fence and into Katech's offices. [...]
Nope. People would still send their heads to WCCH, they'd simply spec OEM valves instead of solid steel. Katech wouldn't make a dime. At best they'd sell a few sets of titanium valves, which they seem to say is overkill for most applications and could be sourced elsewhere if demand warranted.

Your charge of conflict does not stand up to logical analysis; they have nothing to gain.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:01 AM
DON T.
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Werks
We must have been posting at the same time. All that I can say is thanks and Glad that this thread is not going to become another
I was wondering what i was going to watch during this years summer reruns! I have found it!!!!
Old 05-30-2013, 09:25 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ramairws6
Come on guys, what Ricky's saying is no different then everyone crying foul with the information given to them from Richard at WCCH about what he sees happening with the LS7 head and the recommended fix. Since he owns the head shop of course he's going to say there is an issue and he has the proven "fix" because he is "there touting the fix" to get the business
Who are these "everyones"? Can you post up a few quotes to validate the basis of your illogical two-wrongs-make-a-right argument so that we can determine if your claimed wrong even exists?
Old 05-30-2013, 11:13 AM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
I would like to know why the results are not posted already ?????

Can someone explain to me how long (how many man hours) it should take to throw the results on a spread sheet and publish it.

At least give us the raw data ASAP.

The engineers in here can analyse it easily enough.

If it takes an extended period of time to present the results, some of us might start to worry the data is being massaged

And Ricky, you are right the test is biased. But so are most things in life. There are plenty here who will analyse the results and help minimize the biased aspects

DH

DH,
Running a test and collecting the data is the easy part of any analytical test. It’s the reduction of data, analyzing that data, and producing results that everyone can understand that takes time. If Katech were to just throw out a spread sheet with a bunch of numbers, most would not have the tools to come up some results that they could use. Worse, the wrong conclusions could be made resulting in erroneous decisions. Trust me, I’ve been doing this for many years. Be patient, grasshopper…

Minkster
Old 05-30-2013, 12:26 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I would like to know why the results are not posted already ?????

Can someone explain to me how long (how many man hours) it should take to throw the results on a spread sheet and publish it.

At least give us the raw data ASAP.

The engineers in here can analyse it easily enough.

If it takes an extended period of time to present the results, some of us might start to worry the data is being massaged

And Ricky, you are right the test is biased. But so are most things in life. There are plenty here who will analyse the results and help minimize the biased aspects

DH

Howie,

This takes time and when you're doing it on your own dime you're also juggling LMPC, TA2, GT1, Grand-Am and World Challenge teams. This week some key people are on Belle Isle for the Grand Prix.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 05-30-2013, 12:45 PM
rpm94
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Jason,

I am patiently waiting.....

Got my order from you a week or so ago and want to review your findings prior to finalizing the path forward on the heads.

PS - the show painted Fast Intake is KILLER!
Old 05-30-2013, 01:22 PM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
Howie,

This takes time and when you're doing it on your own dime you're also juggling LMPC, TA2, GT1, Grand-Am and World Challenge teams. This week some key people are on Belle Isle for the Grand Prix.
C'mon Jason - just tell us that only Katech titanium exhaust valves, PAC springs and - optionally - the Katech Torquer cam installed by Katech or Katech-authorized vendors can safely be run in these cars or your Z06 will explode in a ball of aftermarket shrapnel and flames... killing thousands of innocent baby kittens with the resultant carnage.

Afterall, you don't need experts and number crunchers when you're just going to push Katech products with unmistakable bias and test manipulation, right?

(this is sarcasm)

Old 05-30-2013, 03:17 PM
The Highlander
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Random84
C'mon Jason - just tell us that only Katech titanium exhaust valves, PAC springs and - optionally - the Katech Torquer cam installed by Katech or Katech-authorized vendors can safely be run in these cars or your Z06 will explode in a ball of aftermarket shrapnel and flames... killing thousands of innocent baby kittens with the resultant carnage.

Afterall, you don't need experts and number crunchers when you're just going to push Katech products with unmistakable bias and test manipulation, right?

(this is sarcasm)

Do you blame him? Do you realize how much money wpuld take to build a similar shop? The whole purpose of the test is to prove how well setup is katech's combination! I have never had a single issue using katech products! And these types pf test reinforce the great product offered!

Katech is not here to sell/help other businesses. They are here to promote qith their own equipment their own products
Old 05-30-2013, 03:29 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by HighlanderX
Do you blame him? Do you realize how much money wpuld take to build a similar shop? The whole purpose of the test is to prove how well setup is katech's combination! I have never had a single issue using katech products! And these types pf test reinforce the great product offered!

Katech is not here to sell/help other businesses. They are here to promote qith their own equipment their own products
Nailed it.

The point is not to sell a few more camshafts or valves. There is a bigger picture. The point is to show that Katech is the go-to shop that uses the same technology for it's race teams as it does for it's private customers. Katech is a shop that can answer the tough questions with test data rather than guesses and that elevates us above many others. This thread has probably done more for overall brand awareness and understanding than it will do for individual sales. 19,000 hits and counting...
Old 05-30-2013, 04:02 PM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Nailed it.

The point is not to sell a few more camshafts or valves. There is a bigger picture. The point is to show that Katech is the go-to shop that uses the same technology for it's race teams as it does for it's private customers. Katech is a shop that can answer the tough questions with test data rather than guesses and that elevates us above many others. This thread has probably done more for overall brand awareness and understanding than it will do for individual sales. 19,000 hits and counting...
!!!
Old 05-30-2013, 04:22 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Minkster
DH,
Running a test and collecting the data is the easy part of any analytical test. It’s the reduction of data, analyzing that data, and producing results that everyone can understand that takes time. If Katech were to just throw out a spread sheet with a bunch of numbers, most would not have the tools to come up some results that they could use. Worse, the wrong conclusions could be made resulting in erroneous decisions. Trust me, I’ve been doing this for many years. Be patient, grasshopper…

Minkster
Understood Rich

DH
Old 05-30-2013, 04:29 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Howie,

Fair enough. I just wanted to know what kind of time frame one would expect to analyse this data. An hour, a day, a week ..... what?

I thought it might be a simple "setup A floats at xRPM, bounces at yRPM" formatt. Surely this might/could have been jotted down at the end of each test and posted up rather quickly by you.

So I am no going to assume there is a lot more to this .... and be patient for the results.

DH
Old 05-30-2013, 04:45 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

Dumb question, but if my WCCH stage 2 heads have increasing hp right up to the 7100 rpm rev limiter can they still have valve float at the 7000 rpm redline?
Old 05-30-2013, 04:59 PM
The Highlander
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Nailed it.

The thing is... I do appreciate the info offered. It is extremely valuable. Any team, shop that has this type of equipment, certainly deserves our business... It is one of the reasons why the business as an overall is a little more expensive. But, you do get what you pay for.

Get notified of new replies

To Katech LS7 Valvetrain Dynamics testing approved - seeking input from Corvette Forum

Old 05-30-2013, 05:48 PM
97Black
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Werks
Instead of what, hanging on to every word that you have said as if it were the last word? Bottom line is that you were one of the most vocal and adamant preachers of the "you are stupid if you do not change your valve guides and switch over to SS valves" message which caused panic and concern to run rife on this forum. Katech has always said that they feel that this is an issue that affects a limited amount of engines and is probably not something that you should "freak out" about. They have also said that if you do decide to take preventative measures to avoid any type of valve failure then change the guides and replace the stock intake valves with a similar weight TiMo valve that they offer but there is no need to replace the exhaust valves. You again felt the need to argue against that saying that only fixes half of the problem, why spend all that money and not switch all of the valves, switching over to the much heavier SS valves is already "race proven" over time, tons of shops recommend it etc. etc. etc. Bottom line, you have already convinced your self that the configuration that you wanted to run was best. You then went on to repeatedly hammer home to everyone that "fix" as the right way of doing things and defended that through posting a seemingly never ending and frankly exhausting amount of quotations from previous posts on this forum.

Now you are doing the same thing here. Bottom line, every single person on here knows that you feel that switching over to SS valves is the correct fix for you. We all now clearly understand that you feel Katech is biased and that whatever findings they post are also going to be biased. Great, thank you for giving us your input. I and I'm sure most others on here would like the opportunity to first actually see those testing results and then come to our own conclusions about the validity of whatever those results might be. I have absolutely no interest in seeing this thread turn into another '06 Quicksilver Z06 debate with page after page after page after page after page of you quoting past posts and endlessly attempting to ram your opinion down peoples throats. In one day already you have managed to consume nearly 3 pages. If you keep going in a week we are going to be wading through 20+ pages of garbage. This thread was started by Jason to discuss some testing that they were willing to do, please respect that. If you want to start a debate about "this test being biased or not" then please, please start your own thread so that this one does not get completely destroyed and we all do not have to suffer through reading all of it.
Nice response
Old 05-30-2013, 05:59 PM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nailed it.

And I for one am glad Katech is stepping up to the plate.

(obviously my post above was satire reflecting the conspiracy theory comments around by a select few that your efforts would be less than transparent)
Old 05-30-2013, 09:39 PM
Werks
Drifting

Fair enough. I just wanted to know what kind of time frame one would expect to analyse this data. An hour, a day, a week ..... what?

I thought it might be a simple "setup A floats at xRPM, bounces at yRPM" formatt. Surely this might/could have been jotted down at the end of each test and posted up rather quickly by you.

So I am no going to assume there is a lot more to this .... and be patient for the results.

DH
I have no idea what the specific information that is going to be released is but I think that it is quite a bit more complicated than that. I've discussed with Jason what's involved with doing this testing and I think that what a lot of people are not realizing is that while Katech is certainly not a 2 man shop they are to any of us that have come from any type of large corporate background definitely what one would still consider a "small business". I came away with the impression that it takes nearly a full working day just to set up and run one configurations. Keeping in mind that they tested 7 different configurations!!!! So all of this testing is quite a major undertaking.

To maintain running your business, meet current customer demands and not impact current projects plus handle all of the engine work for several race customers for a major event this week (plus have people on site there with the teams) is pretty taxing for any company. Give them a little time, I'm sure that they will have everything posted up in a week or so

Quick Reply: [Z06] Katech LS7 Valvetrain Dynamics testing approved - seeking input from Corvette Forum