Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Any thoughts on the WCCH Brodix LS7 heads?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 11:31 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mookster
If this is true i'd be down to order as that seems reasonable and you get best of the both worlds(new heads and good valves)

Perhaps PM them here on the forum....also we gotta talk them into a group buy
I'll send them a PM tonight and lets see what they have to say.

Yeah, we'll still need money for the springs (I plan on supplying my own as I'm considering a cam) but you're still looking at a fairly reasonable price if they're willing to adjust for customer supplied valves.

I also assume besides the springs, that the rest of assembly, guides, retainers, etc, are all included in that base price too. Just replaced the cost of the valves.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:33 PM
Mookster
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
I'll send them a PM tonight and lets see what they have to say.

Yeah, we'll still need money for the springs (I plan on supplying my own as I'm considering a cam) but you're still looking at a fairly reasonable price if they're willing to adjust for customer supplied valves.

I also assume besides the springs, that the rest of assembly, guides, retainers, etc, are all included in that base price too. Just replaced the cost of the valves.
Yeah shoot them a PM ...also ask about group buy...

Right off the bat if you, RedZ4me and me ordered...thats 3 guaranteed orders and from RedZ4me's group buy feeler thread there were many more interested.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:37 PM
Mookster
Drifting

Since Katech and WCCH work together(this could make things a bit easier), it'd be worth finding out actual cost from WCCH if we went with Brodix and Katech Ti goodies
Old 12-29-2012, 11:51 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Id just buy the Katech exhaust valves if you want ti valves, the PRC intake valves are the same thing basically got the same coating for half the price
Old 12-30-2012, 12:02 AM
Mookster
Drifting

Originally Posted by LS7 DREW
Id just buy the Katech exhaust valves if you want ti valves, the PRC intake valves are the same thing basically got the same coating for half the price
This is what i was thinking too...i guess we gotta find out if PRC will be ok with customer supplied parts
Old 12-30-2012, 12:07 AM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Just sent a PM asking if there is a price adjustment for a 'No Valves/Springs' option and asked if they'll assemble a head with customer supplied valves and springs.

Also asked about a group buy.

There are probably too many combinations to ask for individually, but we'll see what they have to say about using non-PRC stuff in their heads.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:11 AM
Mookster
Drifting

Just sent a PM asking if there is a price adjustment for a 'No Valves/Springs' option and asked if they'll assemble a head with customer supplied valves and springs.

Also asked about a group buy.

There are probably too many combinations to ask for individually, but we'll see what they have to say about using non-PRC stuff in their heads.
Thanks, keep us updated
Old 12-30-2012, 12:15 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,793 Posts

My PRC 285ccs that are fully ported with springs and Ti intake valve, 1 piece SS exhaust were $3060 shipped. Milling wasn't extra but I had them stock CC.

Even mast heads with Ti valves are ~$4k. I can't see spending $7-8k on heads.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:15 AM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Could be a good option.

Guessing on price here, but assuming PRC Ti valves are $829 (($458/2) = $229 + $600), you're looking at around a $451~ difference between Katech and PRC Ti Intake Valves.

PRC SS vs Katech Ti Valves is around $1051 ($1280 - $229).

Last edited by Jawnathin; 12-30-2012 at 12:18 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:17 AM
Mookster
Drifting

Originally Posted by Unreal
My PRC 285ccs that are fully ported with springs and Ti intake valve, 1 piece SS exhaust were $3060 shipped. Milling wasn't extra but I had them stock CC.

Even mast heads with Ti valves are ~$4k. I can't see spending $7-8k on heads.
The issue most of have arent with which heads or intake valves to go with the issue we have is which exhaust valves to go with...
Old 12-30-2012, 10:18 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Another thing to think of, the PRC, Brodix and some of the other heads are 6 bolt heads. I don't believe the factory manifolds will fit with the 6th head bolt. You can either grind it off or run headers.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:09 AM
LT5 John
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Unreal
Another thing to think of, the PRC, Brodix and some of the other heads are 6 bolt heads. I don't believe the factory manifolds will fit with the 6th head bolt. You can either grind it off or run headers.
The Brodix BR7 heads are a direct replacement for LS7 OEM heads...As per Richard at Wcch, and Brodix web site...The factory OEM intake will bolt direct, no problems what so ever...
Old 12-30-2012, 11:15 AM
vertC6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks guys.

Maybe my math is wrong or I'm not accounting for something but wouldn't the additional cost just be the difference between the SS valves and Ti valves?

Katech Ti Valves = 2,560.00
WCCH SS Valves - 458.64
= $2100~ additional on any setup

So to total it out...

Valves = $2560
Springs = $400
Total = $3000~

Brodix heads are 2,418.74, PRCs around 2k, or I could get my OEs ported for 1,518.84.

Going with OE ported, I'm at $4500~. Even running with the most expensive Brodix option, I'm at $5400~.

Am I missing something that accounts for the other $2600-3500 you guys are finding? There might be a few additional things, but I don't think I'm missing anything big ticket here, am I?

Surely going with Ti valves isn't cheap, but a pretty big difference from $8k you guys are mentioning.
There will be a much cheaper option available by the end of January, I have been working with Del West for 4 months on this, trust me when I say you are going to want to wait.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:35 AM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,107 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by LT5 John
The Brodix BR7 heads are a direct replacement for LS7 OEM heads...As per Richard at Wcch, and Brodix web site...The factory OEM intake will bolt direct, no problems what so ever...
I think he was talking about the oem exhaust manifolds...
Old 12-30-2012, 11:57 AM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

My stock exhaust manifolds fit on the PRC heads
Old 12-30-2012, 12:03 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 260 Posts

Good to know, thanks for posting as I'm sticking with the stock exh. too.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:07 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Great to know. This can help reduce over-all up front cost for either a new build or updating the factory engine (LS7). most would want a header to take advantage of better flow rates though.

Add: something I was thinking of, in order to take advantage of better flow rates, seems like good rationale to get a new block so I can take advantage of six bolts instead of factory four. Stands to reason, to build a more solid engine with more ponies, six bolts are going to provide a more solid foundation w/either the PRC or MAST. I've decided to use the Texas companies in my back door. That means either PRC (Texas Speed) or Mast for heads. Both are ported already. The best bang from my research IS Texas Speed for head supplier/bang for buck.

But, I think I will need to change my factory block to go to six bolts....which means I may as well build a new engine and make my factory one an neat shop ornament.

Last edited by tim414; 12-30-2012 at 12:14 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Any thoughts on the WCCH Brodix LS7 heads?

Old 12-30-2012, 12:48 PM
LT5 John
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Undy
I think he was talking about the oem exhaust manifolds...
No problems with the Brodix heads...Any OEM ls7 part will bolt direct...

Last edited by LT5 John; 12-30-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:51 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Good deal. I know on 5th gen camaros their manifolds don't work with 6 bolt heads. I didn't know if the ls7 ones would fit.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:31 PM
hapnermw
Racer

Since Rev SS exhaust valves with the Manley NextTek 221436 spring kit have been used extensively in LS7 heads and no known valve control issues or valve guide wear issues have surfaced, the extra weight of this valve train does not appear to be an issue. In addition, you get the safety of a dual valve spring.

The beehive spring and Ti/Sodium exhaust valve train is one solution for stability; however, no one has shown any data to prove it is the only solution.

The invoice for the WCCH Brodix LS7 heads I bought in April came to $4265 including $300+ tax and shipping (includes Ti/Moly intake and Rev SS exhaust valves). This didn't include the cost for the set of CHE rockers that I supplied.

I also used a set of Lunati/Morel High RPM Lifters. I wasn't impressed with the fact that one of my stock lifters had lost its lock ring and was in the process of coming apart at < 30K miles. In this case, these heads were going on an RHS block that requires link bar lifters so the only choice was which to use.

While the beehive spring and sodium/Ti exhaust valve combination has been proven by Katech optron analysis to be stable at 7100 redline with stock lifters, the extra weight that link bar lifters add to the valve train has been shown to cause stability issues at that rpm. If you decide to go with the beehive/Ti option and link bar lifters you likely should drop redline to 6700.

The Rev/Nextek's appear to be stable @ 7100 rpm with link bar lifters. I haven't seen test data to prove this; however, those using this setup have not reported any issues. This is interesting because it is one data point that indicates that this valve train may actually have a wider range of stability than the beehive and Sodium/Ti exhaust option.

One issue that hasn't been discussed much is the problem GM had maintaining proper LS7 oil film strength with its mandated use of 5w-30 Mobil 1. This likely played a role in its valve train design and its use of Ti rods.

If you have added weight to your LS7 valve train or added weight to your rotating assembly by replacing the Ti rods, you likely should be using an oil that provides a stronger oil film at operating temp than 5w-30 Mobil 1.

Joe Gibbs LS30 oil uses a new mPAO base stock with a viscosity index of 2.0. This is the only mPAO oil I'm aware of that's available. It's combination of low temp flow and high temp viscosity is an important advance in oil tech.

If rotating weight has been added to an LS7, 5w-30 Mobil 1 likely doesn't provide the oil film strength to handle this.

http://www.joegibbsracingoil.com/pro...ance/ls30.html
http://www.exxonmobilchemical.com/Ch...e/default.aspx

Originally Posted by Mookster
The price i gave you is what Katech gave me and they use WCCH for porting...that was going with GM Heads which are about the same as Brodix. Are you not porting yours?

Looking on WCCH's site

Heads are $2400
Katech Ti intake/exhaust valves $2500
Manley 221435 Dual spring kit $600

Thats $5500 right there plus little stuff like bronze guides,seats, Ti retainers, locks.
Then you have assembly labor plus port work(if you are porting) and you're right there in the 7500 to $8k range

Quick Reply: [Z06] Any thoughts on the WCCH Brodix LS7 heads?