Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Katech Titanium/Molybdenum direct replacement LS7 exhaust valves

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 01:42 PM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 3deep
What about leaving the intake side stock and replacing the exhaust guides w/bronze and katech ti valves.
Or better yet get a less expensive version of the ti exhaust valve (one without the molybdenum coating) so you can use it with the stock valve guides.

Assuming everything is properly installed and all geometry is good there's no reason not to use the stock guide. Of course IF everyhting ain't properly installed with good geometry the bronze guide ain't gunna fix anything anyway...IMHO the ONLY reason to down-grade to a bronze guide is IF you can't get a stock guide.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:06 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Why is bronze considered a downgrade? I think its an alternative material that can be used which requires an extra coating on a valve, but I haven't seen anything that suggests the bronze guide itself is inferior to the OE guides.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:32 PM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Simply put, the OEM sintered guides are superior (all other things being equal) due to their hardness, wear characteristics, alloy and heat dissipation. There IS a reason OEM uses them - and its not because of bronze's availability or cost.

The issues are when other things interact negatively (geometry, tolerance, the valve design or coating, etc). Most of the big name builders here will say as much - the common denominator is sourcing (or working through those other variables).
Old 12-11-2012, 02:37 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Random84
Simply put, the OEM sintered guides are superior (all other things being equal) due to their hardness, wear characteristics, alloy and heat dissipation. There IS a reason OEM uses them - and its not because of bronze's availability or cost.

The issues are when other things interact negatively (geometry, tolerance, the valve design or coating, etc). Most of the big name builders here will say as much - the common denominator is sourcing (or working through those other variables).
Bronze guides have superior wear characteristics. This is why we use them in 24 hour race engines. If iron guides were superior we would use them in the C5-R and C6.R.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 12-11-2012, 02:42 PM
RFE-57
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Jason,
What would be the best guides if you are targeting to use the Katech Titanium/Moly intake and exhaust valves?
THX
B
Old 12-11-2012, 02:44 PM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by RFE-57
Hey Jason,
What would be the best guides if you are targeting to use the Katech Titanium/Moly intake and exhaust valves?
THX
B
Bronze. It's your only choice with the moly stems. We (Katech/WCCH) use CHE.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:50 PM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
Bronze guides have superior wear characteristics. This is why we use them in 24 hour race engines. If iron guides were superior we would use them in the C5-R and C6.R.
Okay then, I'm gunna have a hard time reconciling your experience with what Brian Tooley had to say on the subject...all be it his opinion seemed most directed towards street so maybe we can't assume what works for a race car will automatically work for a street car???

Powdered metal versus bronze guides
As many of you know I owned Total Engine Airflow from 1993 until 2004 when I sold it to Summit Racing and then worked with the guys at Trick Flow Specialties until 2010 where I developed every CNC program they have, as well as worked on new cylinder head designs. Of the dozens and dozens of used aftermarket heads with bronze guides that came into my shop using stock rockers, the number of heads that had what I would consider excessive guide wear (over .004”) was 100%.

There is no comparison in hardness between powdered metal guides and bronze guides. Powdered metal guides are far harder, and since they’re engineered with silicon they have good lubricity properties. I’ve checked OEM LS guides from a truck with 150,000 miles that only had .0001” of wear. Bronze guides when using stock rockers is a poor choice in my opinion, simply based on the guide wear that I’ve seen in my years of experience. I’ve seen bronze guides with 10,000 miles have .010” wear. Most shops never have the opportunity to check this. I’ve seen heads with no oil consumption or any other obvious issues have .010” of guide wear, this is a testament to how good modern valve seals are.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:53 PM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by MTIRC6Z
Okay then, I'm gunna have a hard time reconciling your experience with what Brian Tooley had to say on the subject...all be it his opinion seemed most directed towards street so maybe we can't assume what works for a race car will automatically work for a street car???

Powdered metal versus bronze guides
As many of you know I owned Total Engine Airflow from 1993 until 2004 when I sold it to Summit Racing and then worked with the guys at Trick Flow Specialties until 2010 where I developed every CNC program they have, as well as worked on new cylinder head designs. Of the dozens and dozens of used aftermarket heads with bronze guides that came into my shop using stock rockers, the number of heads that had what I would consider excessive guide wear (over .004”) was 100%.

There is no comparison in hardness between powdered metal guides and bronze guides. Powdered metal guides are far harder, and since they’re engineered with silicon they have good lubricity properties. I’ve checked OEM LS guides from a truck with 150,000 miles that only had .0001” of wear. Bronze guides when using stock rockers is a poor choice in my opinion, simply based on the guide wear that I’ve seen in my years of experience. I’ve seen bronze guides with 10,000 miles have .010” wear. Most shops never have the opportunity to check this. I’ve seen heads with no oil consumption or any other obvious issues have .010” of guide wear, this is a testament to how good modern valve seals are.
What he says is fine, we just have different experiences.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:52 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Old 12-11-2012, 04:11 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MTIRC6Z

Of the dozens and dozens of used aftermarket heads with bronze guides that came into my shop using stock rockers, the number of heads that had what I would consider excessive guide wear (over .004”) was 100%. [/I]
Perhaps this excessive wear related to bronze guides was due to the lack of molybdenum coating on the Ti valves or how SS reacts to bronze guides. And for Ti valves that don't have coating or OEM valves, or SS valves, maybe the stock guides are indeed better.

And perhaps bronze guides with the molybdenum coated Ti valves is the best combination related to wear characteristics.

Very insightful to know that bronze guides with the molybdenum coated Ti valves were used in the C5-R and C6.R. If its good enough for those cars in that environment they're certainly good enough for my car.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:55 PM
cyber gray
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default valves

We made these Ti/Mo exhaust valves for a race program and we could make more if you guys are interested. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we think there's anything wrong with the factory LS7 exhaust valves for the application, but sometimes you've got to give the people what they want. The price would be about the same as our Ti/Mo intake valve. They are 66g vs. the factory 74g. Are you guys interested?

Yes very interested, thanks.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:50 AM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
Perhaps this excessive wear related to bronze guides was due to the lack of molybdenum coating on the Ti valves or how SS reacts to bronze guides. And for Ti valves that don't have coating or OEM valves, or SS valves, maybe the stock guides are indeed better.

And perhaps bronze guides with the molybdenum coated Ti valves is the best combination related to wear characteristics.
Very insightful to know that bronze guides with the molybdenum coated Ti valves were used in the C5-R and C6.R. If its good enough for those cars in that environment they're certainly good enough for my car.
Yeah you might have a good point there...the take away from all of this for me is WHEN I find it necessary to do my heads I sure as h*ll ain't gunna do the SS/bronze combination

I like the ti exhaust valve idea and will certainly be staying with the ti intake valve, it's just a matter of what guides to go with. Using the stock guides sure results in spending a lot less on valves but unfortunately isn't what's used in the C5-R/C6.R

Cheers, Paul.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:33 PM
Katech_Zach

The response to these valves has been excellent so we have gone ahead and ordered some for inventory. You can pre-order these now on our website. Delivery of the first set will be sometime in January. Depending on how the pre-orders go, we will place orders for more as necessary for round two and so on.

http://store.katechengines.com/titan...alve-p351.aspx
Old 12-17-2012, 03:19 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 444 Posts

The response to these valves has been excellent so we have gone ahead and ordered some for inventory. You can pre-order these now on our website. Delivery of the first set will be sometime in January. Depending on how the pre-orders go, we will place orders for more as necessary for round two and so on.

http://store.katechengines.com/titan...alve-p351.aspx
Jason,

Will this only be available with the molybdenum coated Ti valves, or will there be an option for this valve so that it could be used with OEM powder metal guides ?
Old 12-17-2012, 04:00 PM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by FNBADAZ06
Jason,

Will this only be available with the molybdenum coated Ti valves, or will there be an option for this valve so that it could be used with OEM powder metal guides ?
It's looking like molybdenum only. For us to be comfortable running a CrN coated valve without Mo stem coating we would need to perform durability testing. We don't like to make changes without proofing it out first. Also the hardness of the CrN would have to be >= the OEM intake valve.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:19 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

It's looking like molybdenum only. For us to be comfortable running a CrN coated valve without Mo stem coating we would need to perform durability testing. We don't like to make changes without proofing it out first. Also the hardness of the CrN would have to be >= the OEM intake valve.
Gotcha....thanks for the update.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:58 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,527 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by FNBADAZ06
Gotcha....thanks for the update.
You could run stock Ti intake valves w/PM guides and these Ti exhaust valves with bronze guides

Get notified of new replies

To Katech Titanium/Molybdenum direct replacement LS7 exhaust valves

Old 12-17-2012, 05:58 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AzDave47
You could run stock Ti intake valves w/PM guides and these Ti exhaust valves with bronze guides
Yep......I was just checking to see if this other option was going to be made available as well.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:41 PM
ramairws6
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I take it these valves would be an issue on a nitrous motor?? Way to step up to the plate for the guys looking for another option on the exhaust valve. Just slightly skeptical since your so adamant the sodium filled valve is not the issue
Old 12-17-2012, 07:51 PM
SSMOKE
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by AzDave47
I have been wondering if this is an option for two reasons. One my car has low miles with likely good intake valves/guides and two, cost savings. Can someone buy only eight bronze guides for the new Ti exhaust valves?

Jason, your thoughts?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Katech Titanium/Molybdenum direct replacement LS7 exhaust valves