Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] What am I doing wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 10:12 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not driven a ZR but I'd imagine the motor comes alive in a different way being supercharged.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:19 AM
spiller9
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stalling the car has NOTHING to do with a lack of torque, it's all about gearing. Can anyone confirm if there is a difference between the final drive of the zr1 and z06 or their gearbox ratios, or both?

Also, the z06 clutch feels stiffer because the zr1 has a twin plate clutch. The twin plate does not require as heavy a pressure plate given the load is shared between two friction plates. I'm sure the carrier bearings are quite different between the two cars also.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:25 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

The car felt slow is all Im saying. Do I need to be in second? Where is the sweet spot in the rpm band? For instance, hitting the gas hard while in 3rd and 3,500 rpm in my Z is when you really feel like the car is going to take off and fly away with you in it...
Old 12-01-2012, 10:25 AM
Joezone914
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I moved on from the Z06 to the Zr1. When I test drove it, I was not underwhelmed, but it was not much faster the way I test drove it. After I took it home and got familiar with it's power delivery I really can tell a difference. It also takes exponential power to notice the difference. What I mean is the jump from LS3 to LS7 70hp is much more noticeable than LS7 to LS9 which is 135hp.

Also, did you test drive the same ZR or was it two different ones. I ask because there have been a very low number of ZR's with supercharger needing replacement. Did you see boost going up to at least +12lbs?

Joe
Old 12-01-2012, 10:57 AM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Racer
It is a confirmed 3+ tenths quicker in the 1/4 bone stock on stock tires (street trim) and almost a whopping .5 seconds when you harness the power with a drag radial, that is an *** kicking, if you can't feel that, then you either don't want to feel it or you don't know how to drive the ZR1.
Being that 1/10 of a second at the speed of these cars are doing the a quarter-mile in is well over 2 car lengths, being beat by half a second is more of a smack down than it is a race :
Old 12-01-2012, 11:03 AM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Car stalls off idle because the supercharger bypass valve. Basically until you come out of boost you are making less power than a LS3.

Better tires than whats on your Z06 is also making the ZR1 feel slower. It hooks and doesn't violently toss the rear around.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:32 AM
NofakeJake
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by forg0tmypen
The car felt slow is all Im saying. Do I need to be in second? Where is the sweet spot in the rpm band? For instance, hitting the gas hard while in 3rd and 3,500 rpm in my Z is when you really feel like the car is going to take off and fly away with you in it...
Try lower RPM's and higher gearing.

If you cant tell the difference in a 4th gear pull from 60 mph to 100 MPH between your Z06 and the ZR1, you're: a)lieing b) not in a ZR1 c) dead
Old 12-01-2012, 12:04 PM
viperZ06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've now test driven a ZR1 two times and both times, I left feeling not only underwhelmed by the car but IMPRESSED with the power of my stock '06 Z06. I purposely drive my Z06 to the dealership and then back for immediate comparison sake. What am I doing wrong? I'm hitting 6,000 plus in first and shifting of course at that point to second. One thing Im not doing is going over 100mph, because of the law and such, but I just leave the dealership so let down by the power. And the clutch is a whole other story. It's so soft and easy, I don't know how I feel about that. The Z06 is firm, with enough torque to get the car moving by just letting out the pedal slowly from a stop. The ZR1, not so much. I stalled it. I haven't stalled a car in over 2 years. I was expecting the torque from the motor to engage the car and get it rolling. It didn't. I had to give it gas each time to get her in first. Again, on the way home, this was a sigh of relief to be back in my Z. And the stock shifter, after a year with the MGW just felt like a mushy piece of garbage. Felt like I was shifting with a banana. Now I know some of these qualms can be rectified others are unique but I wanted to post this in the ZR1 forum, because I KNOW the LS9 is a better motor and the ZR1 a better car. I'm going to try one more time to get that seat of the pants, holy sh*t I think I'm going to take off and start flying feeling lol But I need some help. Everything I hear from everyone in a ZR1 is how much more awesome it is from the Z06 and how much of a "step up" it is. Like going from a base coupe to a Z06. But from my experiences, the difference is much much smaller than that.
Owned a 07 Z06 and now a ZR1. I USED to feel the same way until I really got into it one day. Scared the crap out of me and gave me a healthy respect for the car. The 06 is a monster too but less of one IMHO
Old 12-01-2012, 12:11 PM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,100 Likes on 752 Posts

No I couldn't feel the 133hp difference. Not at all. And where's the torque from a standstill? Why can't I get the car rolling by just letting the clutch out in the ZR1? I stalled it and almost stalled it twice.
I'm not sure why you had a problem with getting the car moving by engaging the clutch with no throttle. They preach this at Spring Mountain and the ZR1 was flawless in this manner. I do it with mine all the time.
As for the comparisons. I came from an '09 Z (which was a great car) and to me, there is no comparison. The ZR1 puts me back in the seat like no car I've ever driven. The low-end torque is amazing and in the upper RPMs, it pulls like, well, it's almost scary how the car accelerates. I'm thinking there was something wrong with the car you drove.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:17 PM
Hybrid901
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Did the dealer pull the car around and let it sit idling for a while as you talked about the car and looked at it allowing it to get heat soaked? The zr1 puts the power down a little better depending on which tires are on but you should be able to tell the difference very easily. Off idle the ls9 isn't making any tq since you are making zero boost and you are in a lower compression 6.2 compared to the 427. At idle is absolutely the only place the ls7 is making more power. I alway consider the ls7 more raw is from the lack of sound deadening in the car. I view the z06 as race bred street bruiser where the zr1 is a super car. I love both.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:24 PM
Nanook
lifeislikeaboxofchocolats
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20- '21-'22-'23-'24

Drive the ZR1 for a week then go back to the Z06....you will have a different opinion
Old 12-01-2012, 01:34 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Ok seems like I'm just not behind the wheel of it long enough. Financially I can't afford one, well, responsibly couldn't afford one. Appreciate the replies. It's certainly an awesome motor. I want to put an LS9 in my Z06 but everyone keeps telling me how impractical it is. They don't know the deal I'd be getting on the motor/accessories. I need to think this over. Do I cam my Z06 or swap in an LS9? After that test drive, it was clear: cam the Z06! But now this thread has me second guessing. It's be much cheaper to swap in an LS9 than trade up to a ZR1 by about $20,000 last time I added some numbers.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:48 PM
Hybrid901
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

What do you do with the car? Track, highway, drag, or just a street toy?
Old 12-01-2012, 02:05 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Hybrid901
What do you do with the car? Track, highway, drag, or just a street toy?
Street toy/small amount of track and drag time
Old 12-01-2012, 02:19 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Hey Louis

If you ever find yourself over this way in Daytona let me know - I'll let you do a REAL test drive!!

The cars are different. When the C6 first came out C5 owners were saying the same thing. The C5Z06 had about the same power as the LS2, but the C5 guys thought the C6 just didn't feel as fast or powerful, but it's just simply because the C6 did everything the C5 did, but smoother and easier, with much more refinement and less drama.

I've been driving for a loooooooooooong time, and I've never owned a car that didn't have a manual transmission, but when I got my ZR1 I stalled it a couple times!!

The early ZR1, or the newer one with the PDE package, has a lot higher overall final gear ratio in first than the Z06 does.

Also, the throttle response of all the C6 Vettes is not real peppy - there's a slow response from mashing the accelerator pedal to when the power comes on. You can tune throttle tip-in so the power comes on quicker, but I didn't want to void the warranty with a tune, so I installed a Sprint Throttle Booster and now have a nice quick throttle-up when mashing the go pedal!!

Additionally, when driving on the street, you just can't push either of these cars up into the performance area where you can really feel the difference. Unless you're doing something totally and insanely illegal, when driving on the street both of the cars (or even a base Vette) are so far under their max performance capability that it's hard to really feel a SOTP difference.

Bob
Old 12-01-2012, 02:27 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

If you equip your Z with an LS9, you'll still have just that..."an LS9 equipped Z"..Z's are awesome cars as like most here I went from a Z to a ZR. My vote would be just to simply put a sc on your Z....prob less headachs as well...I was getting about 660 at the rear wheels with my Z with absolutely no driveability loss with the following;

-AA S/C kit
-B&B Fusions
-Tune
Old 12-01-2012, 03:45 PM
corvettejoe09
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts

I also went from a Z06 to the ZR1 this summer. A friend of mine & myself track our Z06s. When I went to the ZR1, I noticed a difference. On a track day, my friend drove the ZR1 to a gas station, & he also notice a difference. I wish I could figure out your experience between the two cars. Don't get me wrong, I loved the Z06, just didn't want the hassle with the valve problems, even though I had an extended warranty.

Get notified of new replies

To What am I doing wrong?

Old 12-01-2012, 03:53 PM
titletaker
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The two cars of both a blast to drive, but they are two very different animals. The Z06 works on higher RPM, while the ZR1 work on forced induction and less RPM. Of course a higher RPM car may give the perception of more speed, but trust me, the power difference is there. Another thing is the tires are much better on the ZR1 so the ride is smoother. One thing I love every time the exhaust flaps open a 3000 RPM and the boost gauge starts climbing, the car sounds like a jet taking off. The torque on the ZR1 is amazing as it pulls harder in each gear, while the Z06 pulls harder in first and second and starts to tail off in the other gears.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:01 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

All I know is that I ran my all-stock ZR1 at the Texas Mile (the end of October) and it was totally amazing:
power that didn't stop in the first 5 gears from about 2000 rpm right up to 6400 rpm (redline is 6500 rpm).
I have never driven anything this powerful or exhilarating, and being able to open it up all the way
on the T-Mile runway can't be topped (IMO).

With a flywheel rating of 638 hp and 604 ft-lbs TQ, you will definitely feel a difference in the right conditions,
despite the extra 150 lbs +/- (?) of weight. I also agree with the others--on the street, it's really hard to tell
before you run out of room...

Last edited by Gary '09 C6; 12-01-2012 at 10:14 PM. Reason: formatting
Old 12-01-2012, 04:03 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by titletaker
The two cars of both a blast to drive, but they are two very different animals. The Z06 works on higher RPM, while the ZR1 work on forced induction and less RPM. Of course a higher RPM car may give the perception of more speed, but trust me, the power difference is there. Another thing is the tires are much better on the ZR1 so the ride is smoother. One thing I love every time the exhaust flaps open a 3000 RPM and the boost gauge starts climbing, the car sounds like a jet taking off. The torque on the ZR1 is amazing as it pulls harder in each gear, while the Z06 pulls harder in first and second and starts to tail off in the other gears.
an excellent description, b-t-w--thx.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] What am I doing wrong?