Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] question about Katech Street Attack LS7 packages?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 12:59 PM
1 BAD BURB
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default question about Katech Street Attack LS7 packages?

I am looking at buying a 07 Z that has the Street Attack LS7 package. Just reading on their website, seems they pull the motor and forge it. Typical hp is 610bhp. What are typical RWHP numbers tho? I know a few members have these cars, just wondering what they are really putting down.

HOw has realiability been?
How is the car on the track? Cooling issues?
Daily driver usage, does it handle traffic well?

The car i am looking at has:

Katech Street Atack LS9 package (He said ls9, but i presume Ls7)
Katech forged 11:1 pistons rebushed connection rods torquer LS7 camshaft
C5-R timing chain High lift valve springs Titanium ultra-ligth retainers
Katech billet belt tensioner
Corsa X pipe Corsa Z06 exhaust system Dewitts custom aluminum radiator integrated oil-to-water oil cooler
Goodridge oil cooler lines Koolmart Tunnel heat Shield

Transmission (Don't know whose trans tho???)
Stage V built transmission with Exedy twin disk clutch

Suspension:
Moton Clubsport double-adjustable coilovers Eibach springs pfadt competition sway bars, suspension setup by Katech

Unfortuntely, the owner does not know much about the car in terms of mods. Bought it from the original owner who built it to the current setup. But Katech installed all the mods. So thats a good peace of mind.

Any opinions? Thanks
Aj
Old 11-19-2012, 01:11 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Rwhp is typically 510-550rwhp depending on the dyno and vehicle mileage.

I think several of our satisfied long time customers will chime in about reliability. Basically, for a street car they're going to last a very long time. For road racing, we recommend a rebuild every 30 hours.

ConfusedGarage will probably chime in about daily driver use. He drives his to GM World Headquarters every day for half the year.

For track use the cars have been almost untouchable in the right hands. Cooling is great with the Dewitts radiator.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 11-19-2012, 01:30 PM
ConfusedGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I started tracking on a friends ZR1, and will just this summer get around to tracking mine, so I will leave comments on track use to the Jim Painters of the world.

However, I do daily drive my Katech Z everywhere, everyday March - November when I don't have my kid with me. Reliability is 100%, not a hiccup, ever. Drivability is very subjective, but to me, this car rocks as a daily. I have 546 at the wheel (was 531 before heads) on a safe rich tune, and an RPS twin disk that is grabby as all hell, and I have no issues sitting in I75 NB traffic every evening (horrible route for traffic if not from this area), sometimes with the AC on when its scorching like it was this summer over 100 regularly.

I love the NA simplicity and lightweight/balance of this setup, it just feels light on its feet and is civil enough to enjoy everyday. Maybe my biggest gripe is the console heat because I haven't installed a heat shield mat thing yet, that's about it.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:39 PM
1 BAD BURB
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason

I think several of our satisfied long time customers will chime in about reliability. Basically, for a street car they're going to last a very long time. For road racing, we recommend a rebuild every 30 hours.

ConfusedGarage will probably chime in about daily driver use. He drives his to GM World Headquarters every day for half the year.

For track use the cars have been almost untouchable in the right hands. Cooling is great with the Dewitts radiator.
dumb question, but can a source of forced induction be safe to install on this type of setup? I am ideally looking for something with the 650+ rwhp range. The forged motor, suspention and trans upgrades is making me like the car, but that 11:1 CR is not.

Originally Posted by ConfusedGarage
I started tracking on a friends ZR1, and will just this summer get around to tracking mine, so I will leave comments on track use to the Jim Painters of the world.

However, I do daily drive my Katech Z everywhere, everyday March - November when I don't have my kid with me. Reliability is 100%, not a hiccup, ever. Drivability is very subjective, but to me, this car rocks as a daily. I have 546 at the wheel (was 531 before heads) on a safe rich tune, and an RPS twin disk that is grabby as all hell, and I have no issues sitting in I75 NB traffic every evening (horrible route for traffic if not from this area), sometimes with the AC on when its scorching like it was this summer over 100 regularly.

I love the NA simplicity and lightweight/balance of this setup, it just feels light on its feet and is civil enough to enjoy everyday. Maybe my biggest gripe is the console heat because I haven't installed a heat shield mat thing yet, that's about it.
Excellent, thank you kindly for the real world experience of driving a Katech equiped car. I have known over the yrs that anything with this label is reliable and a performer.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:46 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by 1 BAD BURB
dumb question, but can a source of forced induction be safe to install on this type of setup? I am ideally looking for something with the 650+ rwhp range. The forged motor, suspention and trans upgrades is making me like the car, but that 11:1 CR is not.

Excellent, thank you kindly for the real world experience of driving a Katech equiped car. I have known over the yrs that anything with this label is reliable and a performer.
I'll answer it this way... The pistons aren't specifically made for forced induction, but there are people making that kind of power on stock pistons with the same compression ratio. For a street car I wouldn't have much concern, but if it's a racecar I would be more concerned and want to change it to a lower compression ratio forced induction piston.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:57 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

We also have a Katech engine in our C6Z, but we also did the Callies Dragonslayer crank, compstar rods and diamond pistons in our bottom end. We also added WCCH LS7 heads, a Fast 102, ARE 3 stage dry sump and an aluminum radiator to ours as well. It has been about 20 months since we completed our build and we have not had one issue. We don't track it like we used to, but we do all kinds of Auto-x and "spirited driving."

The low end power of this engine is the best I have ever driven and will pull as hard down low as some smaller displacement blower cars do. Our car made 582/555, but Jason has said that is not typical. What I do like is the consistancy in Katech's builds. A friend of mine had Katech build the same engine with all the same specs as mine and he put down 579/550, which is very close to what I made.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:20 PM
M1Cruiser
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try to get the Katech # and Jason will be able to tell you when the work was done and details about the work done at Katech.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:44 AM
Scottkrough
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
We also have a Katech engine in our C6Z, but we also did the Callies Dragonslayer crank, compstar rods and diamond pistons in our bottom end. We also added WCCH LS7 heads, a Fast 102, ARE 3 stage dry sump and an aluminum radiator to ours as well. It has been about 20 months since we completed our build and we have not had one issue. We don't track it like we used to, but we do all kinds of Auto-x and "spirited driving."

The low end power of this engine is the best I have ever driven and will pull as hard down low as some smaller displacement blower cars do. Our car made 582/555, but Jason has said that is not typical. What I do like is the consistancy in Katech's builds. A friend of mine had Katech build the same engine with all the same specs as mine and he put down 579/550, which is very close to what I made.
A friend of mine had Katech build the same engine with all the same specs as mine and he put down 579/550, which is very close to what I made............. And loving every minute of it
Old 11-20-2012, 08:38 AM
DON T.
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look in the center console and you will find a serial numbered plaque. Then type in Katech Club Sport in search box. Click on Katech Z06 Club Check in and you will find everything about that Z. I have stage one, not a track package. But in my opinion when buying a Katech Z06(Or any vehical) your buying into a company that lives/breaths/eats and sleeps performance. They take great pride in everything they do and customer service is second to NONE The old saying you get what you pay for. With Katech, my money was well spent and could not be happier!!! serial # 56 is Don T.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:56 AM
1 BAD BURB
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by M1Cruiser
Try to get the Katech # and Jason will be able to tell you when the work was done and details about the work done at Katech.
Originally Posted by DON T.
Look in the center console and you will find a serial numbered plaque. Then type in Katech Club Sport in search box. Click on Katech Z06 Club Check in and you will find everything about that Z. I have stage one, not a track package. But in my opinion when buying a Katech Z06(Or any vehical) your buying into a company that lives/breaths/eats and sleeps performance. They take great pride in everything they do and customer service is second to NONE The old saying you get what you pay for. With Katech, my money was well spent and could not be happier!!! serial # 56 is Don T.

Good thinking! I will ask the seller and get in touch with Jason.
Thank you again guys, much appreciated!
Aj
Old 11-23-2012, 11:06 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,404 Likes on 1,374 Posts

I'm curious to see which car this is. Aj, feel free to PM me if you want to chat about this but I've had my Street Attack for over 4 years now and couldn't be happier with the car and my experiences with Katech. It's an incredibly potent package that just goes and goes.

I track the heck out of my car and put 35 hours on my original Street Attack before I decided to sent it back for a refresh and update to Track Attack specs. There was no problem but it was about time and I needed new wheel bearings anyway.

My original setup was very similar to what you listed and was very streetable with the torquer cam. I just set the Motons to full soft on the street and the ride is fine.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:54 PM
1 BAD BURB
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
I'm curious to see which car this is. Aj, feel free to PM me if you want to chat about this but I've had my Street Attack for over 4 years now and couldn't be happier with the car and my experiences with Katech. It's an incredibly potent package that just goes and goes.

I track the heck out of my car and put 35 hours on my original Street Attack before I decided to sent it back for a refresh and update to Track Attack specs. There was no problem but it was about time and I needed new wheel bearings anyway.

My original setup was very similar to what you listed and was very streetable with the torquer cam. I just set the Motons to full soft on the street and the ride is fine.
Much thanks for th generous offer... however i am pretty sure the seller does not seem to want to sell it. a couple of emails and phone calls and no response since sunday. I take it that the holidays are keeping him busy so i'll chock it up to that.

But if he gets back to me with the details and build sheet, i will def pm you! appreciate it
Aj
Old 11-23-2012, 08:29 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

My car made 549 RWHP on Vector's dyno. That is probably over 600 RWHP on many other dyno. The car is a dream to drive on track but not a race car. Katech does a hell of a job and I think you will love the car. My car passes ZR1s! PM me if you wish more info about track performance.

Jim
Old 11-23-2012, 08:49 PM
Frenchican
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't track my Katech Street Attack (serial #12) nearly as much as the other Katech owners, but I do drive it often on the street and trips to Vegas, the Sierras, ext... I track only a couple times a year. My build was done in 2007 and I have about 30,000 miles on the build.

My last pull was 536rwhp on a Mustang dyno. I continue to be a very happy!
Old 11-23-2012, 09:31 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 260 Posts

good to read stories like this.......seems Katech builds don't have any valve/guide issues......it's my first choice to go when the time comes (sooner than I want I think
Old 11-23-2012, 10:38 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason

3 years and 10,000 miles going strong with our 13:1 E85 motor. You will not find another engine builder better than Katech.

Jason is the best at what he does and knows his stuff.

Jim Hall
Halltech

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

Get notified of new replies

To question about Katech Street Attack LS7 packages?

Quick Reply: [Z06] question about Katech Street Attack LS7 packages?