Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] 2010 zr1

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 04:23 PM
TOM ZR1
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 2010 zr1

Has any one tried to flush the fuel tank from there new zr1 yet. Unable to jump relay because there is no relay. Zr1 has a fuel module to turn on the pump. Next step is to push the shrader valve on fuel rail and let it out like this while car is running,will take a long time like this !!! Car sits for long time, and i want to get the gas out and fill it with fresh gas to store for winter. Any help would be great !!!! Thanks in advance to all..tom..

Last edited by TOM ZR1; 10-27-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:43 PM
TOM ZR1
Instructor

Default Zr1 fuel tank drain ???

Has any one tried to flush the fuel tank from there new zr1 yet. Unable to jump relay because there is no relay. Zr1 has a fuel module to turn on the pump. Next step is to push the shrader valve on fuel rail and let it out like this while car is running,will take a long time like this !!! Car sits for long time, and i want to get the gas out and fill it with fresh gas to store for winter. Any help would be great !!!! Thanks in advance to all..tom..[/QUOTE]
Old 10-27-2012, 04:45 PM
911/Q45
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd opine that you're overengineering this. Just drive it until it's empty, then refill and pack it away.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:00 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
I'd opine that you're overengineering this. Just drive it until it's empty, then refill and pack it away.
I agree. jumping circuits and using the pumps in the car to drain the fuel would cause the pumps to cavitate, draw air and over heat when the fuel gets down very low. Just drive the car until it gets to just below a quarter of a tank and top it off with the highest unleaded octane you can find. I would also put a battery tender on it, pump the tires up to 38lbs so they don't flat spot if you don't put it on jack stands.

I would try to drive the car once or twice a month in the winter when the roads are dry and salt free if possible, and keep the fuel topped off.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:33 PM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

keep the fuel topped off.[/QUOTE]

that is what you should do before store a car, when spring come drive easy to burn old gas. Then hit the go pedal.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:33 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

yeah, you're way over doing this situation. Just drive it down to a 1/4 tank and top it off with fresh fuel and you'll be fine. Newer fuels last a long time before they break down. If you are totally stressed, drive it a 1/4 tank, then top it off, drive it down to 1/2 tank, top it off, then drive it down to 1/4 tank and then fill it up and you'll be good for the winter.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:27 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
yeah, you're way over doing this situation. Just drive it down to a 1/4 tank and top it off with fresh fuel and you'll be fine. Newer fuels last a long time before they break down. If you are totally stressed, drive it a 1/4 tank, then top it off, drive it down to 1/2 tank, top it off, then drive it down to 1/4 tank and then fill it up and you'll be good for the winter.
Was going to say the same thing. I just put Sta-Bil in mine, topped it off and put the tender on it and it is good until next spring.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:50 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

star bright is great stuff for fuel that's old and not treated. put some in the tank thane let it sit overnight. def will help. works on my bbc camaro everytime i let it sit too long.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:19 PM
dsevo
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 96 Posts

I had a big power sand rail that would get stored for long periods of time with old fuel and never had a problem with it. I would hammer it right out of the trailer after a long winter. I have read that modern fuels do not lose octane for a long time. I really think you're over worrying.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:48 PM
Corvette6.0
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would you want to store it empty then once winter is over fill it up with fresh gas before starting it?
Old 10-28-2012, 09:52 AM
TOM ZR1
Instructor

I always keep the tank full when i store it. The problem is the car only has 166 miles on it and the weather now in rochester ny sucks..iam kind of strange like this [not driving it] stone chips and crazy people on the road..i know,, why did i buy the car in the first place ??? I have heard that millions of times..thanks for all that have replied.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:18 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by TOM ZR1
I always keep the tank full when i store it. The problem is the car only has 166 miles on it and the weather now in rochester ny sucks..iam kind of strange like this [not driving it] stone chips and crazy people on the road..i know,, why did i buy the car in the first place ??? I have heard that millions of times..thanks for all that have replied.
I'm tellin ya, get a bottle of Star Bright, you'll see that stuff works....makes my 489ci big block hit on all 8 as opposed to dropping cylinders when I let it sit for month...probably the Ethanol in the fuel that's pulling moisture...you should find that stuff at Advance or any Marine stores.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:31 PM
LloydP
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TOM ZR1
I used to live in Minnesota. I just put in a gas stabilizer, drove it a while to distribute it, filled it up. Put it away with a battery tender. Never had any problems. I always thought that starting it during the winter caused more problems than it solved. I could still buy accessories to put on it to satisfy my need to spend money.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:04 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,123 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
Not worth it. More than likely the OP will cause some other unforeseen problem trying to do it. Its the rule of unintended consequences.

Get notified of new replies

To 2010 zr1

Quick Reply: [ZR1] 2010 zr1