Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Buying a Higher Milage Vette ? Or hold out ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 08:20 PM
Qmax03
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a Higher Milage Vette ? Or hold out ?

Ive been looking around for a BLK/BLK Z06 and looking to spend MAX $40K

Only thing im picky about is it HAS to be Black, Have Navi and under $45k miles...

Obviously not much luck there !

But I came across a CLEAN 06 Z06 Blk/Blk 2LZ with 63K miles, One owner , dealer maintained . The Dealership wants $34K for it...

Only thing that looked a bit Off was the coolant Reservor had some white discoloration... weird

What do you guys think ?
Old 10-06-2012, 08:25 PM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

No. With a budget of 45k I'd search for an older certified car. I've seen them in the low 40s for 07s. Not sure if there are any left but there are some 08s in mid to high 40s
Old 10-06-2012, 08:40 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IMHO, and I owned a high mileage Vette in the past, is that they always stay high mileage (unlike an average car which, over time, if you drive it little the value kinda comes back). In other words they will always be worth less than comparable lower mileage Vettes and they will always be harder to sell than comparable lower mileage Vettes.

Bottom line, if you can buy one 10% below market now, in five years it will still be about 10% under market -- even if you don't drive it.

Second issue is maintenance... higher mileage vehicles may be due for fluid changes (tranny/diff), may have worn components (brake rotors, suspension bushings, etc), and some things may simply be worn out (clutch).

Having said all that, if the price is right, and you plan to keep it, and you don't mind 'catching up' on maintenance, then it may be a good deal.

No idea on the coolant tank.

One thing to keep in mind... black is usually the most produced color, and the majority of Vettes had the NAV option (based upon my somewhat inexact research). In other words, if you wanted to wait, you probably wouldn't need to wait long. However, if you can live with the miles, the car you describe is priced pretty well (NADA Clean Retail $39,325)
Old 10-06-2012, 08:57 PM
SSSUPRA
Advanced

I'd hold out, most people are still asking too much for their car right now. Winter and the C7 (maybe just a pic) should move the market into a more reasonable range. That said there have been some really good deals here lately but only after the car sat for sale for a while overpriced $5k or so.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:58 PM
Mike McGinnis
Racer

I just picked up a higher mileage Ron Fellows sight unseen... It's a little rough, but I've put some money back into and plan on actually driving it, so Im not complaining
Old 10-06-2012, 09:10 PM
IanM
Racer

If you want to keep the car stock I would suggest looking for a lower mileage car. If you plan on doing some work (internally not bolt on) then IMO miles are not going to matter at all as you will see/replace parts during the surgery.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:22 PM
OH THREE Z
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 280 Posts
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

If its clean I think 34K is a steal.... Offer 32.5 and use the $1500 to send the heads to WCCH.

If it checks out I wouldn't be afraid of 60000 miles... Especially from a one owner well cared for car
Old 10-06-2012, 10:45 PM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree that the z is a steal at 34k - if you can get it for $32 you're way ahead. 60k on most cars is no big deal, but you have to budget maintenance for sure.

I'd do the Head Fix, fluid changes et and enjoy! Oh, and there will ALWAYS be a better deal - but your time, hassle and "when" is what you ultimately pay a premium for.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:47 PM
tx_zo6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OH THREE Z
If its clean I think 34K is a steal.... Offer 32.5 and use the $1500 to send the heads to WCCH.

If it checks out I wouldn't be afraid of 60000 miles... Especially from a one owner well cared for car
I agree 100%. Unless you are a typical **** vette owner I say go for it, especially if you are buying it to drive it and not just wax it and keep it in the garage.

It's built in Kentucky, after all..... not Italy, lol.

Last edited by tx_zo6; 10-07-2012 at 12:07 AM.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:53 PM
SergeantZ
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends what kind of vette owner you want to be. Are you looking for a garage queen to drive occasionally and hope to get most of your money back one day when you get tired of looking at it? Or are you looking for one of the best sports cars on the market in your price range that you want to drive the **** out of and enjoy every minute of it while not being afraid of turning a wrench if something needs replacing? I chose the latter and picked up my '06 DSOM back in April with 54k miles, it now has 62k and climbing damn near every day. I am also not tied to any warranty and can mod at will. If you are like me, definitely go after the black one for $34k and haggle a little, they're worth it!
Old 10-07-2012, 12:07 AM
tx_zo6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SergeantZ
Depends what kind of vette owner you want to be. Are you looking for a garage queen to drive occasionally and hope to get most of your money back one day when you get tired of looking at it? Or are you looking for one of the best sports cars on the market in your price range that you want to drive the **** out of and enjoy every minute of it while not being afraid of turning a wrench if something needs replacing? I chose the latter and picked up my '06 DSOM back in April with 54k miles, it now has 62k and climbing damn near every day. I am also not tied to any warranty and can mod at will. If you are like me, definitely go after the black one for $34k and haggle a little, they're worth it!
Amen bro....
Old 10-07-2012, 01:35 PM
Wulverine
Le Mans Master

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by SergeantZ
Old 10-07-2012, 01:44 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,043 Posts

That's a nice price. If it shows no signs of being beat on (check the inside of the wheelwells for rubber), go for it.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:21 PM
PlanetZoom
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

Get it checked out and, if you can, find out what service items have been done in the last few years. A higher mileage car that's been drive and properly taken car of can sometimes cost less in maintenance if previous owner(s) have kept it maintained.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:35 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,713 Likes on 1,089 Posts

I still don't see the point of buying one of these just to let it sit and collect dust or to sit in chairs behind it and wipe it down occasionally. I just spent a wonderful week with my car. Took it on a business trip last week to Austin with a colleague. Then this weekend we drove to the Goodguys Nationals just north of Fort Worth where I ran it on the AutoX yesterday. I put over 1000 miles on it in the last 7 days.

Worth every penny to have reliable (so far, knock on wood), fun transportation that I can race occasionally. I'll have track tires for it next year, although having them yesterday I doubt would have made a difference considering it was 50 degrees out with a light mist when I ran it.

I now have almost 27K miles on mine and still going. I don't see a problem picking something up for cheap with higher miles. Chances are, any problems (valve dropping, spring popping) would have been shaken out of the car a long time ago. Just be prepared to replace all fluids front to rear and go over it with a fine tooth comb.

Last edited by VetteVinnie; 10-08-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:35 AM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Qmax03
Ive been looking around for a BLK/BLK Z06 and looking to spend MAX $40K

Only thing im picky about is it HAS to be Black, Have Navi and under $45k miles...

Obviously not much luck there !

But I came across a CLEAN 06 Z06 Blk/Blk 2LZ with 63K miles, One owner , dealer maintained . The Dealership wants $34K for it...

Only thing that looked a bit Off was the coolant Reservor had some white discoloration... weird

What do you guys think ?
I would insist that they warranty it until 100k miles regardless of time.
Get that in writing and it's a steal.

Get notified of new replies

To Buying a Higher Milage Vette ? Or hold out ?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Buying a Higher Milage Vette ? Or hold out ?