Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Convince me not to buy a 911 Turbo....

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 04:09 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Notch
I have been at the track with low experience track drivers, and I don't see any higher percentage of Boxsters/Caymans in the dirt. As a matter of fact, the Boxster/Cayman has to be one of the easiest to drive fast and most forgiving platforms, in handling terms, that I've ever seen.
Most 90hp cars won't put you in the dirt.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:13 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

Originally Posted by CodeBlueZO6
So, I've had the ZO6 for almost 5 years and I think I'm getting the itch to move on. I've always been a 911 Turbo fan and now that I can get a used 2010 in the price range I'm willing to spend it's quite temping. I love PDK and AWD, and the refinement of a Porsche is untouchable. I'm just worried I may be spending $60k (after trade in or sale of my Z) for little change in performance and overall satisfaction.
My other thought was to just keep the ZO6 and maybe do an aero kit and wheels to make it feel new to me again....but how long would that feeling last.

I know this is a vette forum, but what do y'all think....esp previous owners of 911 Turbo's???
They are ugly! Is that good enough?
Old 09-27-2012, 04:16 PM
jswatek
Pro

Received 195 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Notch
I have been at the track with low experience track drivers, and I don't see any higher percentage of Boxsters/Caymans in the dirt. As a matter of fact, the Boxster/Cayman has to be one of the easiest to drive fast and most forgiving platforms, in handling terms, that I've ever seen.
Isn't the boxster/caymen platform balanced more evenly than the 911? To be honest I don't see as many of them as I do 911's.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:21 PM
gjnockie
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had (3) 911's. Won't buy another.

Like my new 427 Vert much more. It's quieter, rides better and sounds better too.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:10 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jswatek
Isn't the boxster/caymen platform balanced more evenly than the 911? To be honest I don't see as many of them as I do 911's.
Being a mid-engine platform they have less rear weight bias than the 911 (53% for a Boxster S and 54% for a Cayman S versus 61% for a 997), but they have a rear weight bias over 50%, which is what my initial response indicated represented a more ideal static weight distribution.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:14 PM
PeterM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gjnockie

Like my new 427 Vert much more. It's quieter, rides better and sounds better too.
You've never been in a 991; entirely new animal.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:30 PM
gjnockie
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PeterM
You've never been in a 991; entirely new animal.
Yes I have... drove one before I bought the 427 Vert. Hate the electric steering. IMHO they are not worth the money. The base Carrera with a manual is slow. The S is quick but you need to spend around 130K to buy the equivalent to the 427 Vert. The S is a fast car with the PDK doing the shifting. I would like to see a race between the 427 Vert and a new Carrera S cab with a manual.

That would be a good race!
Old 11-27-2013, 03:43 PM
mark b
Burning Brakes

I read this whole post.. Im considering getting a used 2006 or 2007 porsche turbo. I will drive it on the street and do about 10 track days a yr with it... Ive never driven a 911.. Ive driven a cayman s and thought it was a really nice car but I would miss the power and torque from the Vette if I got it..

So who has experience driving porsche turbos hard on a track? Im considered to be an advanced driver at track days, and have many years of track driving experience... I love manuals and will get a manual tranny porsche instead of pdk.. but because I dont have the experience with p cars im worried that if I drive the porsche like the vette I could spin out and wreck the porsche..

so what pointers should I take into consideration when pushing those cars on a track? If I do all the text book ways and skills of track driving will I be OK, or do I need to adjust? Ive seen and always hear of guys wrecking their brand new porsche GT3s and I really feel for them
Old 11-27-2013, 04:06 PM
TheDingo
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've driven a PDK GT3 and a couple 911 Turbos. The GT3 is my hands down favorite car I've ever driven. The 996/997 turbos are great cars, too, but you won't get the handling, seamless shifts of the new GT3 car. In my opinion the turbo cars are better for the street and the GT3 is better for track days. Sure you get more power on the turbo cars, GT2, etc. but at some point that becomes more of a burden/handful on the track. You won't get that mid corner understeer that was present in the 996 or in the c6z06. Could you adjust? Absolutely. Would you like it more than the Corvette? That would be for you to decide. Given my experience, you'll appreciate what the Porsche offers (especially on a track) and I HIGHLY recommend driving a PDK car before making your final decision on a manual.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:09 PM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 794 Likes on 538 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

If you are "thinking" about getting a 911 Turbo you are halfway there...would not enter my realm of thinking, but that is what makes us unique...do what you want to do, that I what is important.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:19 PM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 794 Likes on 538 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by gjnockie

Now you are talking my language!
Old 11-27-2013, 06:28 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 383 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by cec58
The service costs on a 911 Turbo are incredible. Be prepared for them.
my words exactly. But for that price Im sure youll get a loaner.

Clif
Old 11-27-2013, 06:37 PM
1 BAD BURB
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I had a 550whp 996 turbo this past summer along with my 550whp Z06.
The turbo would get a TON of attention anywhere i went. It was a blast to drive, creature comforts, very comfortable GT car. Brakes were ok, suspension was phenominal (i had upgraded coil overs). Quiet night out with the wife or going downtown to dinner, i would take the Porsche. BUT... i did track it once, heat soaked like a sonofabitch. And it was only 85* out.
The z06 is more raw power, much more fun to drive and interact with. Brakes far superior to the porsche. Overall, i had best of both worlds. But that the end of the day, i ended up selling the porsche (some guy saw it, wanted it, bought it) and i didn't feel bad that i let it go. The Z06 is still a ton of fun to drive, comfortable enough for me, spacious, etc...

I say, life is short, if you have the money, screw it, go buy a Porsche! Resell value on them is excellent if you buy them right. So you can always sell them down the road... Just don't buy a silver or blue colored one... those have horrible resell values. market is flooded with them. AND NO GRAY INTERIORS!!! yuck...
Old 11-27-2013, 07:21 PM
woodranch
Pro

How can you really compare a car that is 150,000 brand new vs a car that is 85,000 brand new? It is pretty clear which is the better car. 2 different sports cars for 2 different money levels. Hard to believe that many people that easily could afford a Porsche Turbo are instead drving a Z06.I seems like common sense to me.....Step on a Turbo Porsche and you do not hear anything but a loud whine.Step on a Z06 and you hear it!!
Old 11-27-2013, 10:10 PM
dsddcd
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I say both!
Old 11-27-2013, 10:54 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,458 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Originally Posted by dsddcd
I say both!
The blonde and the brunette.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:03 AM
TheDingo
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by OnPoint
The blonde and the brunette.

Get notified of new replies

To Convince me not to buy a 911 Turbo....

Old 11-28-2013, 10:26 AM
mark b
Burning Brakes

thanks for the replys I want a C6Z06.. but also a porsche turbo or GT3 car.. Since Ive spent years tracking the Vette, I thought it would improve my driving skill to get a porsche and learn how to tame that beast.. just have a change for awhile, and THEN go the C7 route..

See Im looking for a track car that I can drive on the street(not a DD) that challenges me but is very easy to get used to right away even though you havent driven it for months.. The corvette is the type of car that you have to drive alot( and fast) because you have to stay used to it and how everything feels and the effort etc... I like cars that I can just hop in and tear up right away.. the Vette shrinks around you the faster you drive it, but feels ponderous otherwise.. mind you it handles like a SOB, but you have to know its quirks or it feels like it is trying to kill you on track..

Im hoping that the porsche is more subtle
Old 11-28-2013, 10:34 AM
mark b
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TheDingo
I've driven a PDK GT3 and a couple 911 Turbos. The GT3 is my hands down favorite car I've ever driven. The 996/997 turbos are great cars, too, but you won't get the handling, seamless shifts of the new GT3 car. In my opinion the turbo cars are better for the street and the GT3 is better for track days. Sure you get more power on the turbo cars, GT2, etc. but at some point that becomes more of a burden/handful on the track. You won't get that mid corner understeer that was present in the 996 or in the c6z06. Could you adjust? Absolutely. Would you like it more than the Corvette? That would be for you to decide. Given my experience, you'll appreciate what the Porsche offers (especially on a track) and I HIGHLY recommend driving a PDK car before making your final decision on a manual.
thanks man, I will be looking at used ones 2006 0r 2007.. I dont know if they have PDK.. Im sure its awesome because my play station GT5 seat and wheel set up has the paddles and shifting that fast is awesome but I would get bored driving it...the challenge is to shift as you know.. so my lap times are alittle slower, oh well..
Old 11-28-2013, 11:44 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,458 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Originally Posted by mark b
thanks for the replys I want a C6Z06.. but also a porsche turbo or GT3 car.. Since Ive spent years tracking the Vette, I thought it would improve my driving skill to get a porsche and learn how to tame that beast.. just have a change for awhile, and THEN go the C7 route..

See Im looking for a track car that I can drive on the street(not a DD) that challenges me but is very easy to get used to right away even though you havent driven it for months.. The corvette is the type of car that you have to drive alot( and fast) because you have to stay used to it and how everything feels and the effort etc... I like cars that I can just hop in and tear up right away.. the Vette shrinks around you the faster you drive it, but feels ponderous otherwise.. mind you it handles like a SOB, but you have to know its quirks or it feels like it is trying to kill you on track..

Im hoping that the porsche is more subtle

Have fun and be safe.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Convince me not to buy a 911 Turbo....