Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] The reputation of the corvette z06!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 08:58 AM
VETTEMANN
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DON T.
Now that the C7 has been revealed for the world to see, i applaud GM for making sure our beloved C6ZO6s will forever be Frozen in time. There will never be another Corvette like ours!!! Personally, i think the new C7 looks great. Its a totally differant car. GM had to go in a new direction to ensure that the corvette lives on and sales increase. Im new to the corvette world. Only 14 months. Purchased my 09 Z06 in nov. 2011. It did not take long for me to start focusing on the C5s and the C4s and so on. I wanted to become acquainted with the history of the corvette. Im sure i cant remember another car that has such frenzy whenever a new model is being introduced. And none so hyped as the new C7. But now that we have seen this NEW Corvette, im very happy to see that is vastly differant than the one in my garage. There will never be another 427 Corvette and that my friends is why our cars will forever be frozen in time!!! 2006 - 2013!!!! Thats it. I believe we will suffer from( some) reduced resale for about a year or so. But when people start seeing the new C7s on the road and the novelty has worn off, we will see our values start to rise again. Then over the next few years when GM releases the Hi performance versions of the C7 that most assuredly will be quicker that ours. We should not let that bother us one bit. Because the future is upon us now and as the glorious history of the Chevrolet Corvette moves on to another chapter! We should be proud to be the reason GM had to make the new C7 such an awesome car!!!! Many powertrains will propell the future Corvettes fellow forum brothers and sisters, But i(we) will forever be the owners of a LS7 427 Powered Z06 Corvette!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The existence of a C7 now, a totally different car, only confirms the uniqueness of Corvettes with the 427 engine
Old 01-15-2013, 10:40 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by DON T.
Now that the C7 has been revealed for the world to see, i applaud GM for making sure our beloved C6ZO6s will forever be Frozen in time. There will never be another Corvette like ours!!! Personally, i think the new C7 looks great. Its a totally differant car. GM had to go in a new direction to ensure that the corvette lives on and sales increase. Im new to the corvette world. Only 14 months. Purchased my 09 Z06 in nov. 2011. It did not take long for me to start focusing on the C5s and the C4s and so on. I wanted to become acquainted with the history of the corvette. Im sure i cant remember another car that has such frenzy whenever a new model is being introduced. And none so hyped as the new C7. But now that we have seen this NEW Corvette, im very happy to see that is vastly differant than the one in my garage. There will never be another 427 Corvette and that my friends is why our cars will forever be frozen in time!!! 2006 - 2013!!!! Thats it. I believe we will suffer from( some) reduced resale for about a year or so. But when people start seeing the new C7s on the road and the novelty has worn off, we will see our values start to rise again. Then over the next few years when GM releases the Hi performance versions of the C7 that most assuredly will be quicker that ours. We should not let that bother us one bit. Because the future is upon us now and as the glorious history of the Chevrolet Corvette moves on to another chapter! We should be proud to be the reason GM had to make the new C7 such an awesome car!!!! Many powertrains will propell the future Corvettes fellow forum brothers and sisters, But i(we) will forever be the owners of a LS7 427 Powered Z06 Corvette!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You are assuming the LS7 is gone. Don't believe everything you hear. If the rumour of it being offered in the Camaro Z28 is true then it will still be in production. Make a minor tweak to it for more power and re-introduce it in the C7 Z06 next year. You heard it here first.

Last edited by b4i4getit; 01-15-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:51 AM
DON T.
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The c7 forum has arrived

In just one week the C7 forum has exploded since the unveilling of the highly anticipated 2014 C7 Corvette! And it did not take long before some began tearing down the C7 in every way possible. My own 2cents, the new C7 is beautiful and its a totally new car!!!! And i believe will be the biggest HIT for GM in many years!!!! And we should be thankful about this my fellow forum members. Because had GMs new corvette been a sales flop, that would have a devastating impact on all of our C6s/C5s/C4s and on down the line. Believe me, no one likes a loser in the auto industry. Slowly but surely our beloved Z06s would be old news and resale would be junk bond statis!!!But it is not lost on people that know, that the Z06 is a world beater!! Think of it this way. The C6Z06 will forever be remembered as an awesome evolution of the Chevrolet Corvette Lineage that started back in 1953! Also,the Z06 will go down in automotive history as being the First Automobile with over 500 HP without a Gas Guzzler Tax!! Its our car that was given the HONOR of having the 427 reunited with a GM muscle car!!! We own a piece of history and nobody can ever take that away.Not even the new C7!! We should embrace the new Corvette history in front of us! Because i believe that ensures the health and value of our piece of corvette history. THE CORVETTE C6 Z06
Old 01-19-2013, 11:30 AM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

I don't think the c7 will be a sales success it all. Just my 2 cents. I'm a 33 year old buyer, GMs bread and butter or atleast what they are shooting for and I'm telling you the car leaves me cold. I'd buy a gt500/gtr/used 911 first.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:37 AM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gatti-man
I don't think the c7 will be a sales success it all. Just my 2 cents. I'm a 33 year old buyer, GMs bread and butter or atleast what they are shooting for and I'm telling you the car leaves me cold. I'd buy a gt500/gtr/used 911 first.
Disagree that it won't sell well.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:31 PM
Congaman
Pro

I bought the 2nd Z06 delivered in Sweden back in 2006. I still have it and still love it. No issues what so ever even though it has been driven hard at Nurburg ring, drag races etc. It is also a rare car over here as europeans tend to prefer Porsche and Ferrari if they are buying a sportscar. For me Corvette is the best, even though I sometimes wish for a better interior. Now waiting for the C7 to arrive here in Europe, but I'm not sure if I should psrt from my Z06 or not.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:48 PM
DON T.
Drifting

Originally Posted by Congaman
I bought the 2nd Z06 delivered in Sweden back in 2006. I still have it and still love it. No issues what so ever even though it has been driven hard at Nurburg ring, drag races etc. It is also a rare car over here as europeans tend to prefer Porsche and Ferrari if they are buying a sportscar. For me Corvette is the best, even though I sometimes wish for a better interior. Now waiting for the C7 to arrive here in Europe, but I'm not sure if I should psrt from my Z06 or not.
HEY! I agree, i doubt i will part with my Z for many years. IV spent lots of $ and she looks amazing inside and out. Im just speaking about the hard work and money GM has invested and i believe it will pay off bigtime over time. And remember, we have not heard the final numbers yet of performance from the new C7. This car may end up withing a nats a_s of Z06(and similar type cars) stitistics. Listen, i like many of you have poured many hours and dollars into my(your) Z and she is the pride of any car iv ever owned. I dont see myself trading for a C7 any time soon. There are two ways we can look at this. ONE is the that the new C7 is ugly and tear it down, and to me that only tears down GM and puts a negitive light on all GM products. And i believe hurt future values of all our corvettes. Or, we can give it a chance and wonder at the amazing new STINGRAY that GM has brought back. And look at the media, its on fire for this CAR! its on every network all over the world. To me, that lifts up all previous corvettes and shows to many what they have been missing!! Holy, sh_t!!!!!! these are good cars afterall that GM has been building all these years. Maby the next time these people see a C3/C4/C5/C6 for sale, maby,just maby they will give them a second look. I guess my 22 years in the auto business is pushing my thoughts to write this today. Time will tell, but i believe GMs corvette Plant in KY will be operating at full capacity come fall 2013!!!!!AND dealers will be holding sticker or close for some time. But WTF do i know

Last edited by DON T.; 01-19-2013 at 03:49 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-04-2013, 04:01 PM
DON T.
Drifting

Default It happens every time!!!!!

Drove my Z today, went out to pick up a burger at local CookOut. When i came outside to head to my car, once again like clockwork, i hear hey man, thats the most amazing car iv ever heard, or something to that affect. Yes, it great to hear things like that, its almost embarrassing. But im so lucky to own a car such as this 2009 Z06, A katech car to boot!! AND ABOUT OUR ROUND TAIL LIGHTS!!!! Im glad the next generation C7 will sport differant tail lights. it only accents the beauty of our C6 Taillights SO WHERE DID you take your Z to lately and who stopped you asking about your amazing ride
Old 02-04-2013, 04:32 PM
jwmgr8
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 291 Likes on 200 Posts

Well I'll repeat myself again

"CORVETTE" has been around 60 years it is generational and it is:
The most wanted car in history

I hope C7 is a success, but I have a hard time defining success anymore
Sales of a Vettes has dropped to below 12k/yr. which is not a lot.

The only problem I have about Vettes is you guys that don't drive em. I'm really tired of hearing about a 06 Z06 with 3000 miles.

Please drive them. There is no reward for having the vette with lowest miles!
Old 02-04-2013, 04:40 PM
Jackal
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To the OP, I can appreciate your opinion, but until you are in the boat with us that have had the valve failure, I think your perspective is skewed. I agree that some people are getting heated over this issue, but wouldn't you be upset too?

If you read ANY of my posts, I have never stated that the Z06's reputation is damaged. However, I do think that GM's reputation is at stake. When there is a known problem with improperly machined valve guides, and a manufacturer knows about it, they should fix the problem no matter the status of warranties.

I am one of the biggest Corvette fans, and as a matter of fact I have stated previously that I would not give up my Z06 for ANY other vehicle, even in its current "boat anchor" status. I have a C5 with a solid LS1 that I love, and will likely now have to sell because GM let some improperly machined valve guides out of their plant. That still, does not negate the fact that GM has some problems they need to remedy.

With all of that said, I still have the responsibility to pursue GM's help with my situation. However, that means I have to tow the car to a dealership, pay $180+ to have them diagnose it, and then flip a coin to see if it will be covered. The odds dictate that I will be declined and therefore wasted money that could have been used to buy a new engine on my own. Is that fair? No, it’s not, but hey, who ever said life is fair?
Old 02-06-2013, 01:12 PM
DON T.
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jackal
To the OP, I can appreciate your opinion, but until you are in the boat with us that have had the valve failure, I think your perspective is skewed. I agree that some people are getting heated over this issue, but wouldn't you be upset too?

If you read ANY of my posts, I have never stated that the Z06's reputation is damaged. However, I do think that GM's reputation is at stake. When there is a known problem with improperly machined valve guides, and a manufacturer knows about it, they should fix the problem no matter the status of warranties.

I am one of the biggest Corvette fans, and as a matter of fact I have stated previously that I would not give up my Z06 for ANY other vehicle, even in its current "boat anchor" status. I have a C5 with a solid LS1 that I love, and will likely now have to sell because GM let some improperly machined valve guides out of their plant. That still, does not negate the fact that GM has some problems they need to remedy.

With all of that said, I still have the responsibility to pursue GM's help with my situation. However, that means I have to tow the car to a dealership, pay $180+ to have them diagnose it, and then flip a coin to see if it will be covered. The odds dictate that I will be declined and therefore wasted money that could have been used to buy a new engine on my own. Is that fair? No, it’s not, but hey, who ever said life is fair?
Your post is from the heart and your pain does not go without notice. The thought of selling your beloved C5 to repair your C6Z hurts to read. It is never easy to get rid of a special automobile that we spent time and money to make ours. One of the first post i remember putting on this forum was i had to sell my 1996 stroker camaro.(in 2009) A car i spent 8 years building with help from many good people. But then my mom needed help! Ebay found her a good home in upstate New York and there went 8 years work. But hey, only got one mom!!!Move ahead to Nov 2011 and i found the Cyber-Grey 09 Z06 that im driving today. And no sir, i cant even imagine how it would feel to have the issue you have dealt with with your Z. I can only hope i would handle it as well as you have!!!!
Old 02-06-2013, 02:05 PM
Joe_Planet
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 08 blew up, they fixed it under warranty.
So I bought a 12. It hasnt blown up. If it blows up they'll fix it under warranty.
Enough said.

If you mod though, that's at your own risk, dont mod and be pissed when it aint covered.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:52 PM
DON T.
Drifting

Default Last c6 corvette built today

A 2013 conv. 427. White. going to the GM heritage center in MI. You know when i bought my Z(very 1st corvette) i guess i never thought about it becoming, well, old news. At least thats how a great many people seem to feel about this whole coming of C7 drama. And just to tick off a few, i believe the C7 will be a smashing success for GM. I believe the Porsche Boys( and a few others) are really worried about this upstart C7. OMG!!! Blasphemy some say! B_llSh_t...As iv read on this very Forum, A large % of owners will allways prefer the more rounded shape of our C6s. And nothing before or since sounds like AN LS7 winding toward 7000rps! 62mph--2nd..90plus--3rd--warp speed-- 4th and so on. Yes, there will be many news stories these coming months and years about the C7. Well guys/girls.. Iv read lots from the C1/2/3/4/5 Forums and they seem very healthy to me. We are simply becoming a part of corvette history. The Z06/ZR1 combination equal the Baddest/Fastest/Boldest( some will argue that) Corvettes ever BUILT. The C6 racing program brought GM worldwide fame and prestige unlike anything in its history. That said, everyone of our Zs has and is playing a role in corvette history. Does anyone really believe that ten plus years from now, heads want still streach and strain to get a better look at that Beautiful Z rushing(cruising) by them on the interstate.. Yes, history is here. So what piece of corvette history has your Z made ?????? You all have a story and a vin #, and no one can ever take that away from YOU... Long live the LS7!!! Dammit

Last edited by DON T.; 03-01-2013 at 07:54 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-01-2013, 09:08 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Don, you are correct...and IMO, every Corvette is a piece of history !
Old 03-01-2013, 11:00 PM
hamdog
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As a non C5 owner I'm never on the C6Z discussion. I just randomly browsed through and saw this thread. Frankly I'm surprised to hear this much negative feedback on the LS7. As a road racer, AX and a very active member of a number of different car communities, I can tell you that in the non-C6Z community, the LS7 is one of the most talked about and respected motors out there.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:07 AM
Rjtcobra
Advanced

Originally Posted by Congaman
how does eurpoe perceive the z06? My Family is from Ancona, Marche, Italy, and many people in that area love corvettes! They definitely have national pride with Ferrari, and to a lesser extent lamborghini, but when they visited us in the USA they couldnt wait to see a corvette in person. I guess its the old story that things that you arent used to seeing are always more interesting.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:16 AM
DON T.
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
Don, you are correct...and IMO, every Corvette is a piece of history !
BTW. I THINK i woke up in alaska its snowing so hard here in good ole Charlotte N.C. Z is chillin out in garage..

Get notified of new replies

To The reputation of the corvette z06!

Old 03-02-2013, 10:28 AM
DON T.
Drifting

Originally Posted by hamdog
As a non C5 owner I'm never on the C6Z discussion. I just randomly browsed through and saw this thread. Frankly I'm surprised to hear this much negative feedback on the LS7. As a road racer, AX and a very active member of a number of different car communities, I can tell you that in the non-C6Z community, the LS7 is one of the most talked about and respected motors out there.
Great to here your perspective Mr hambog These C6Zs will be one of the most sought after Corvettes in history in years to come! I only wish i had more time to get involved in road racing as many here have the pleasure of doing. But thats ok, i watch everybodys videos and dream
Old 03-02-2013, 10:31 AM
wesellit
Instructor

i think for the money..ya cant beat em.awesome car!
Old 03-02-2013, 10:32 AM
DON T.
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rjtcobra
how does eurpoe perceive the z06? My Family is from Ancona, Marche, Italy, and many people in that area love corvettes! They definitely have national pride with Ferrari, and to a lesser extent lamborghini, but when they visited us in the USA they couldnt wait to see a corvette in person. I guess its the old story that things that you arent used to seeing are always more interesting.
Again, many here i believe have been a part of this C6Z forum so long, some have forgotten how special these cars really are..Would love to drive the highways and byways of Italy in my Z06. That would be a thrill.....

Quick Reply: [Z06] The reputation of the corvette z06!