Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Learn the hard way!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 04:14 PM
GotMoJo
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Learn the hard way!

This has been posted before but I thought it would never happen to me. I had a battery tender on my car and I noticed after a bad storm that both the green and red lights were flashing in unison. I figured a near lightning strike must have taken it out! But wait, could it have hurt the Z? Yes, but of course. Now my EBCM is on the fritz and I'm not sure if anything else has been hurt. I'm not showing any codes so perhaps I've been spared.

Just a reminder guys and gals. Get a surge protector on those battery tenders!
Old 08-21-2012, 04:39 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,573 Likes on 2,165 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I always pull mine off the tender when a storm approaches. Hope you get your Z squared away
Old 08-21-2012, 05:15 PM
phxcobra
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Great tip, hadn't thought about it. Although I think the ctek may have more protection built-in than just the tender does.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:14 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Originally Posted by GotMoJo
This has been posted before but I thought it would never happen to me. I had a battery tender on my car and I noticed after a bad storm that both the green and red lights were flashing in unison. I figured a near lightning strike must have taken it out! But wait, could it have hurt the Z? Yes, but of course. Now my EBCM is on the fritz and I'm not sure if anything else has been hurt. I'm not showing any codes so perhaps I've been spared.

It won't show anything other than powertrain codes if you are reading them with an OBD II scanner. Powertrain codes are about 55% of the codes that can appear on the car. For the EBCM you need a scanner that can read ABS codes. If you are getting Service ABS, TC or AH or all three together there will be codes in the EBCM as codes cause those messages to be displayed.

Bill
Old 08-21-2012, 06:27 PM
Mark923
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Surge Protector

Hope your Z is not damaged, what about the other connections at the house?
Sure been a lot of strikes in Tennessee and Georgia this year. So we install a Surge Protector on the Main electric panel for the whole house. Only time will tell how well it works.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:01 PM
GotMoJo
Pro

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
It won't show anything other than powertrain codes if you are reading them with an OBD II scanner. Powertrain codes are about 55% of the codes that can appear on the car. For the EBCM you need a scanner that can read ABS codes. If you are getting Service ABS, TC or AH or all three together there will be codes in the EBCM as codes cause those messages to be displayed.

Bill
I think you're right Bill. I'm using an EFILive scanner and it doesn't recognize the chassis codes. Need to take it to the dealer and have them put a Tech II on it. I guess I could try and R&R the electronic portion of the unit and hope for the best.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:14 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I would have thought the in-line fuse in the cord from the battery tender to the battery would save the day. At least my Battery Tender Plus has such a fuse.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:11 AM
VicCaerter
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

sounds like its almost time to call the insurance company
Old 08-22-2012, 08:07 AM
GotMoJo
Pro

Originally Posted by VicCaerter
sounds like its almost time to call the insurance company
1k deductible.

Originally Posted by allanlaw
I would have thought the in-line fuse in the cord from the battery tender to the battery would save the day. At least my Battery Tender Plus has such a fuse.
There's a fuse? I'll have to check. Don't remember seeing a fuse block anywhere but it makes sense.

Last edited by GotMoJo; 08-22-2012 at 08:09 AM.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:03 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Being in Texas that's something we are use too. I have mine on a protected circuit from main power panel, the plug itself is protected and it's also in a power surge strip....if it trips, it always happens at the main panel due to ground fault and surge protection.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:22 AM
sengli
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default zapped

Same thing happened to me last spring. We took a near by lightining hit on the power lines at like 3AM. The surge smoked my battery tender and got the Bosch EBCM that controls the anti-lock and traction control, as well as both front wheel sensor/hubs. By the time it was all done the cost for the repir was $2300.00. Luckily my insurance paid for all but the deductable. I now never leave the car on the tender when I am not at home. I never would have even thought such a thing was possible, but I am living proof. The guys at BUDS in ohio, said this isn't the first corvette they worked on for this very same issue, caused by a lightning strike...due to the car being left on a battery tender. Relying on fuses and the cheapy surge protectors is a waste of money. Lightning is too fast for any of the cheap fail safes. If your house gets a direct hit there is no safe haven if its plugged in.

Last edited by sengli; 08-22-2012 at 09:25 AM. Reason: spell
Old 08-22-2012, 10:16 AM
lebvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21

Thanks for the tip. I would never have thought about it.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:36 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

If you are going to leave one of these devices connected to your battery for a long period of time like over the winter or even a few weeks do yourself a favor and disconnect the + cable from the battery. That way no failure of the device will affect the rest of your vehicle electronics. Sure you will have to reset your windows and other things but it is a lot cheaper than having your vehicle electrical modules replaced.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:25 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

change the breaker in your main power panel to a ground fault/surge protector.....anything on that circuit WILL BE PROTECTED....no matter what kind of lightening storm is happening....

make sure your WELL grounded as well. In my shop I had two heavy ground rods installed and have one on my main and one on my sub panel. Use HEAVY grounding copper...there are two guages...use heavy.

I have NEVER had issue and it's ALWAYS plugged up unless I'm driving it. We DO get A LOT of lightening around here too.

Last edited by tim414; 08-22-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:57 PM
GotMoJo
Pro

Originally Posted by sengli
Same thing happened to me last spring. We took a near by lightining hit on the power lines at like 3AM. The surge smoked my battery tender and got the Bosch EBCM that controls the anti-lock and traction control, as well as both front wheel sensor/hubs. By the time it was all done the cost for the repir was $2300.00. Luckily my insurance paid for all but the deductable. I now never leave the car on the tender when I am not at home. I never would have even thought such a thing was possible, but I am living proof. The guys at BUDS in ohio, said this isn't the first corvette they worked on for this very same issue, caused by a lightning strike...due to the car being left on a battery tender. Relying on fuses and the cheapy surge protectors is a waste of money. Lightning is too fast for any of the cheap fail safes. If your house gets a direct hit there is no safe haven if its plugged in.
I read your thread. Wish I would have read it before the strike.

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
If you are going to leave one of these devices connected to your battery for a long period of time like over the winter or even a few weeks do yourself a favor and disconnect the + cable from the battery. That way no failure of the device will affect the rest of your vehicle electronics. Sure you will have to reset your windows and other things but it is a lot cheaper than having your vehicle electrical modules replaced.
Good advice, thanks.

Originally Posted by tim414
change the breaker in your main power panel to a ground fault/surge protector.....anything on that circuit WILL BE PROTECTED....no matter what kind of lightening storm is happening....

make sure your WELL grounded as well. In my shop I had two heavy ground rods installed and have one on my main and one on my sub panel. Use HEAVY grounding copper...there are two guages...use heavy.

I have NEVER had issue and it's ALWAYS plugged up unless I'm driving it. We DO get A LOT of lightening around here too.
I will be looking into that!
Old 08-22-2012, 02:39 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Get a surge protector on those battery tenders!
Always use one, and my wife has one on her sewing machine because of the computer chip(s) it has!

Get notified of new replies

To Learn the hard way!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Learn the hard way!