Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Larger oil tank

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 10:36 AM
AndreasK
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Larger oil tank

Doing some upgrades on my Z with coilovers etc and began to read on the oil starvation on early Zs.

Found no good conclusion.
There seem to be 2 good tanks to swap to:
-LPE which require a trade in, as I live in sweden the shipping is expensive to make this good.
-2008 and up stock tank which seem to have only an extra canister on the side.

Is there any other modifications on the inside?
I am used to aluminium welding and therefor I could enlarge my stock tank on the side as the LPE to gain a larger oil capacity at a very low price.
Another easy solution would be to weld a pipe near the bottom and add and extra tank on the inside as on the 08+ tank with a air supply in the top as on the 2008.

Is there any problems with this?

Also there seems to be a good Aviaid insert which is good in price and is said to work with the stock tank but I have not seen anyone use this with the Stock tank, why?
Old 08-07-2012, 10:59 AM
Carnac
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 70 Posts

The larger oil tanks started in 09 (maybe some late 08s). I have an 08 and it does not have the extra capacity.

For the price the LPE is a good deal along with Aviaid tank baffle. If I wasn't under warranty, that is the way I'd go.

I think that if someone is going to the trouble/expense of adding the Aviaid insert, they upgrade the size too.

Jim
Old 08-07-2012, 11:13 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,960 Likes on 5,346 Posts

It isn't necessary to do the upgrade if you aren't subjecting the car to long (4 or 5 seconds) high G left hand turns. All LS engines have this issue and the smaller dry sump was supposed to solve it but the car still kept pumping all of the oil into the upper part of the engine and basically running out of oil for the bearings. With the larger oil capacity the problem has been minimized but maybe not eliminated if you turned left for a longer time period at high Gs (eg: running a skid pad) it might still run out of oil.

Bill
Old 08-07-2012, 12:19 PM
AndreasK
Advanced

Bought and Aggresor 2 set from Pfadt and will be runing R-tires.
Mostly in Sweden we have right hand turns and no banking so I might not need it.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:05 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,960 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Originally Posted by AndreasK
Mostly in Sweden we have right hand turns and no banking so I might not need it.
That is true here as well. Since road courses usually run clockwise there are always more right hand turns than there are left hand turns just so you can get back to the place you started from. However, some tracks have long high G left hand corners and that is where the oiling issues always seem to arise. I am not sure but banking may actually help reduce the problem since it changes the direction of the G load.

Bill
Old 08-07-2012, 02:49 PM
Never_Summer
Advanced

Is the only thing that changed from the larger tank in 08 is the capacity? I'm looking at the lpe also, but should I get an aviaid pan baffle kit also?
Old 08-08-2012, 01:21 AM
AndreasK
Advanced

Thought about this and my theory based on that the system works to 90%.
-I cant see that the baffle in the pan actually can make a difference when the pump has higher oil supply. Sure I can make the system better but I see no need for it.
-A blueprinted pump just has bigger capacity, when this problem occur I guess the tank I almost empty or have none "restored" oil running through the internal baffles. Therefor the pump does nothing to resolve this issue but probably can provide better lubrication in normal conditions.
-The bigger tank on the other hand must be the crucial part, the oilpump gets its oil only from the tank when putting pressure in the engine. This is the one big solution I think.
-The internal baffles in the tank could provide faster restoration of the used oil from the engine and reduce cavitation and could be a help.

I think a bigger thank volume is the only thing really necessary and that the other products make the system better but are not crucial.

Even tough this is not necessary I will weld on a canister on my tank during the winter adding some extra oil to the system. This based on if it is made from pure aluminium.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:19 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,123 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
It isn't necessary to do the upgrade if you aren't subjecting the car to long (4 or 5 seconds) high G left hand turns. All LS engines have this issue and the smaller dry sump was supposed to solve it but the car still kept pumping all of the oil into the upper part of the engine and basically running out of oil for the bearings. With the larger oil capacity the problem has been minimized but maybe not eliminated if you turned left for a longer time period at high Gs (eg: running a skid pad) it might still run out of oil.

Bill
Excellent explanation. I never understood how simply adding more capacity to the dry sump tank fixed the problem. Tank head to the oil pump pressure stage is the same as the old tank. What I didn't realize with the old tank size was that the oil was being held up in the upper reaches of the engine in a high g turn and not being returned back to the dry sump tank thus letting it momentarily run dry. Makes sense now.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:23 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Actually, the 10.5 qt reservoir capacity in the Z06 came about as a result of the second oil pump in the ZR1/LS9. Because of the LS9's oil squirter's, the LS9's oil pump pumps ~20% more oil per minute. To prevent the LS9 oil pump from possibly pumping the reservoir dry, GM increased the capacity of the reservoir by ~23%. The Z06 benefited from this change as GM wisely decided to standardize the reservoir, and then also used the same reservoir on the dry sump LS3.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:31 AM
Phoenix1911
Instructor

Dumb question here.... I'm still not sure how turning left for long periods of high G is worse than right? If your turning right (and as the oiling system is on the right side of the car) wouldn't it run dry as well especially as the oiling system is now all the way over on the other side of the car. Wouldn't the pump clear the sump regardless of direction?

Disclaimer, I'm not familiar of the inner-workings of the dry sump system for oil returns & pressures etc.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:12 AM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Phoenix1911
Dumb question here.... I'm still not sure how turning left for long periods of high G is worse than right? If your turning right (and as the oiling system is on the right side of the car) wouldn't it run dry as well especially as the oiling system is now all the way over on the other side of the car. Wouldn't the pump clear the sump regardless of direction?

Disclaimer, I'm not familiar of the inner-workings of the dry sump system for oil returns & pressures etc.
The position of the reservoir on the right side of the car is irrelevant. The key is that the oil pickup tube is in the bottom left side of the oil pan, so a left-hand turn moves the oil away from the pickup tube.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:47 AM
SilveradoSS500
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Andreas- I would just get the ARE oil system. I'm sure you are pushing your car hard...
Old 08-09-2012, 03:34 PM
AndreasK
Advanced

Originally Posted by SilveradoSS500
Andreas- I would just get the ARE oil system. I'm sure you are pushing your car hard...
Irony? The extra dots are hard to interpret
Old 08-10-2012, 09:01 AM
SilveradoSS500
Pro

Irony? The extra dots are hard to interpret
Before I say anything else, tell me what tracks you will be going to?
Old 08-10-2012, 10:48 AM
AndreasK
Advanced

Originally Posted by SilveradoSS500
Before I say anything else, tell me what tracks you will be going to?
It will be used on most Swedish tracks, Knutstorp, Kinnekulle, Gelleråsen etc, I use this car almost only on track.
I have previous track experience with other cars and drive fast.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:52 PM
4wheels
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At the minimum, use the LPE tank. The extra capacity will insure you don't run dry & kill your bearings. Cheap insurance. I use this (with the Aviad baffle insert) and do not have any problems with long sweepers.

If you have the choice, go ahead & use the baffled oil pan too. The main problem is the factory design allows high G forces when turning left to draw oil away from the scavenge pump & allow the storage tank to run dry in long left hand sweepers, especially if you are an advanced group driver on R-compounds. The extra capacity is just a work around to avoid running dry for an extra few seconds, but it seems to work fine.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:31 PM
SilveradoSS500
Pro

It will be used on most Swedish tracks, Knutstorp, Kinnekulle, Gelleråsen etc, I use this car almost only on track.
I have previous track experience with other cars and drive fast.
Yes, get the ARE. I'm only protecting your wallet... Or you could say buying you more time until you need to refresh your LS7 or it blows.

You play hard, get the ARE!

Last edited by SilveradoSS500; 08-11-2012 at 05:45 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Larger oil tank

Quick Reply: [Z06] Larger oil tank