Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Drop Valve

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 09:12 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by Drewstein
Seems like the info you guys always request is specifically for a "random" cause to blame instead of shoddy build quality which it clearly is.

I will also toss my offer to pay for shipping of the head to chadyellow if the OP wants to have the head to be inspected.

We're interested in a fix for an admitted problem. That's all. It will benefit the community as a whole.
No, just wanting more information before coming to a conclusion about what or why it happened that's all, nothing more nothing less. Like I said , I find it disturbing that people are being slammed for asking questions and wanting more information.

I am not looking to blame it on a random cause, if you read my post I said "maybe" I am wrong and it is guide wear...but we don't know for sure until the heads are looked at and examined more. You are correct, the information will benefit the community as a whole.. but only IF it's complete and accurate.

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
Beware of anyone that is **** sure that they know the causation of a valve dropping. They don't know, they're guessing. Pointing to guide wear and stating "that's it!" doesn't help determine why there is guide wear.

with your whole post, but especially this part. As soon as people hear "valve drop" now the flavor of the day is everyone jumping at screaming at guide wear, because it is now surfacing more.

While it's probably obvious in this case a spring didn't break ( I was just using that as an example) it could be a host of other things as you pointed out.

If it comes back there is guide wear, so be it, add it to the list with the rest... all a lot of us are saying is lets get a little more information before we start assuming we know what happened.

To tell you the truth, I'd rather his heads be looked over by someone who is non-biased to what is going on here..a reputable shop of professionals that have no dog in the fight.

Last edited by FrankTank; 08-06-2012 at 09:16 AM.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:19 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran

Originally Posted by chadyellowz06
well it dropped an exhaust valve...if it was a broken valve spring i'm sure he would have seen it..he had to take the heads off to get those pictures of the piston...the valve spring would have been seen by removing the valve covers. there are head bolts under those valve covers..i also got 505-z06 head here a few days ago..24k track miles no guide wear...never the less it dropped an exhaust valve..
Chad, I agree, I was just using a broken valve spring as an example of something else that could have caused it thats all ..
Old 08-06-2012, 09:23 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 508 Posts

kawaiilaosboy,

If you send me your VIN I can check to see if you are still under warranty. I'm sorry you have had this issue.

Evan, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 08-06-2012, 09:52 AM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by chadyellowz06
Quick I got the head bare just the castings..their at the shop waiting on specs and will post next week..If there was guide wear it was very little. if it was valve float causing the problem with dropped valves why is it just the exhaust valve and not intake..intake valve weighs more about 6grams..yet there isn't much if any intake guide wear that I have seen. I will know more soon I'm cutting 505-z06 head in half after the guides are speced..that way I can start taking measurements of all water jakets Ect...If I can get any used valves I now got the tools to cut it and measure stem thickness...these cars are dropping valves...I think it's the exhaust valve...but I may be wrong...but I'll figure it out..it can only be 1 of three things..1 exhaust valves getting to hot wearing out the guides.2 bad guides.3 design flaw in all heads from 06-13..anyone want to ship me your toasted head or heads i will spec the quides free to enyone that sends them to me.but would like to keep the head to figure this out i'm not rich if I was I would have already figured it out I will also post up the guide spec sheet so everyone can see. I will do videos if asked of any heads I get from you guys I'm tring to help you all. just don't always believe what your told start thinking for yourselfs....all of you guys should ask the real ppl that already know the problem..and that would be gm..and a few very well know vendors that wont even post about it...G I wonder why? on a side..get the stock springs out of the cars if your not covered by warr
Exhaust valve to piston clearance is far more critical because the piston is always "chasing" the exhaust valve as it closes. As such, it might be possible the piston is making some contact with the exhaust valve if it's floating.

Unfortunately, since we don't know what the root cause is definitively, the list of possible causes is much longer.

Speculating why some vendors won't post about his isn't helping, and means nothing.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:07 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankTank
No, just wanting more information before coming to a conclusion about what or why it happened that's all, nothing more nothing less. Like I said , I find it disturbing that people are being slammed for asking questions and wanting more information.

I am not looking to blame it on a random cause, if you read my post I said "maybe" I am wrong and it is guide wear...but we don't know for sure until the heads are looked at and examined more. You are correct, the information will benefit the community as a whole.. but only IF it's complete and accurate.

with your whole post, but especially this part. As soon as people hear "valve drop" now the flavor of the day is everyone jumping at screaming at guide wear, because it is now surfacing more.

While it's probably obvious in this case a spring didn't break ( I was just using that as an example) it could be a host of other things as you pointed out.

If it comes back there is guide wear, so be it, add it to the list with the rest... all a lot of us are saying is lets get a little more information before we start assuming we know what happened.

To tell you the truth, I'd rather his heads be looked over by someone who is non-biased to what is going on here..a reputable shop of professionals that have no dog in the fight.
You are getting unbiased facts from professionals in reputable shops that have no dog in this fight!!!!!, just trying to help, for gods sake!!!

Why hasn't the reputable shop that starts with a K, hasn't posted anything in this obvious flaw?
Are you that blind? , do you want to help the owners, you obviously have zero knowledge of motors, and dont want to listen to people who do.

I'll break this down very simple

1.Complete cnc of the bare head to exact spec
2. A real set of springs
3, a real set of 1 piece push rods, not the 3 piece junk that can be found in a 20 year old mustang
4. Shaft mounted T&D or jessel rockers(T&D work just as good and are $300 cheaper)
4. ARP rocker studs
5. Stock retainers are fine

Won't even need bronze guides if you follow the above

Do this, head problem solved, period.

This has been done on a half dozen blown LS7's that I have personally seen.
:beatdeadh orse::beat deadhorse:
Old 08-06-2012, 10:25 AM
palindrome1H
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I can say is that when I get my next z0, the valves, guides and springs are being replaced right away. I can guarantee that it won't drop a valve then. Luckily, both Livernois and Katech (even though Katech say stock 2 piece valves are fine) are both about 15 miles down the road. Done and done!

Last edited by palindrome1H; 08-06-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:43 AM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Exhaust valve to piston clearance is far more critical because the piston is always "chasing" the exhaust valve as it closes. As such, it might be possible the piston is making some contact with the exhaust valve if it's floating.

Unfortunately, since we don't know what the root cause is definitively, the list of possible causes is much longer.

Speculating why some vendors won't post about his isn't helping, and means nothing.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:50 AM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
You are getting unbiased facts from professionals in reputable shops that have no dog in this fight!!!!!, just trying to help, for gods sake!!!

Why hasn't the reputable shop that starts with a K, hasn't posted anything in this obvious flaw?Are you that blind? , do you want to help the owners, you obviously have zero knowledge of motors, and dont want to listen to people who do.

2. A real set of springs
3, a real set of 1 piece push rods, not the 3 piece junk that can be found in a 20 year old mustang
4. Shaft mounted T&D or jessel rockers(T&D work just as good and are $300 cheaper)
4. ARP rocker studs

They do have a dog in the fight reworking heads and ref the K statement yes they have made a statement on this problem and outlined some issues with using heavier exhaust valves.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:47 AM
kawaiilaosboy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
kawaiilaosboy,

If you send me your VIN I can check to see if you are still under warranty. I'm sorry you have had this issue.

Evan, Chevrolet Customer Service
Thanks Evan. I called Customer Service this morning and my warranty expired back in August 2011. I just ordered the piston and rod right now. I have a lot of more parts to order.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:33 PM
Black96WS6
Instructor

Originally Posted by kawaiilaosboy
Thanks Evan. I called Customer Service this morning and my warranty expired back in August 2011. I just ordered the piston and rod right now. I have a lot of more parts to order.
It just sucks that you, and others that have experienced failures, have to deal with this...

When paying this much money for a car, you expect it to be decent quality.

I've always went with GM cars (Vettes\FBodies) as my main car because say what you will about the interiors, their engines\trannies have always been rock solid for the most part.

Evan I hope GM does the right thing here and:

1. Is investigating this because there's clearly an issue
2. Doesn't sweep it under the rug because it's not going away and seems to affect all years
3. Steps up and helps this guy out by replacing his engine or only charging him labor...
Old 08-06-2012, 12:46 PM
dun4791
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems like the info you guys always request is specifically for a "random" cause to blame instead of shoddy build quality which it clearly is.

I will also toss my offer to pay for shipping of the head to chadyellow if the OP wants to have the head to be inspected.

We're interested in a fix for an admitted problem. That's all. It will benefit the community as a whole.

Thank you for your generous offer.....it is appreciated by me and hopefully many others. Maybe the forum members who have the knowledge can get the root cause figured out since GM can't, won't, or already has figured the cause, and figures it's cheaper to fix the failures still under warranty than to step up and do the right thing for all owners with this issue.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:15 PM
palindrome1H
Racer

Originally Posted by dun4791

Thank you for your generous offer.....it is appreciated by me and hopefully many others. Maybe the forum members who have the knowledge can get the root cause figured out since GM can't, won't, or already has figured the cause, and figures it's cheaper to fix the failures still under warranty than to step up and do the right thing for all owners with this issue.
I think you are right on. GM knows it is an issue. Could you imagine a recall on all LS7 motors? It would cripple service departments. Just fixem as they break. By not revising the LS7 for 2013 they don't admit to it being a fault or weak point. Plus no one has been killed from their LS7 giving out and hopefully never.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:23 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran

Why hasn't the reputable shop that starts with a K, hasn't posted anything in this obvious flaw?
Are you that blind? , do you want to help the owners, you obviously have zero knowledge of motors, and dont want to listen to people who do.

2. A real set of springs
4. ARP rocker studs

Your the blind one, other shops have posted up about it, LG and Livernois as well, in addition to Richierich Z06. And Katech has in fact posted an entire thread about it...missed that one didn't you.. yea ok I am blind.. GMAFB

I am not debating a fix with you...if you were not so blind , you would have read where I stated I was not disagreeing on that point.

I am not going to stoop to the personal attacks, and trying to judge people off a few posts. You have 0 idea of my knowledge of motors. Nice try.

I find it funny how those who think there is a widespread problem can say they are being "blunt"... yet when those of us who are still wanting more information and answers , and are not yet convinced speak up, it's an attack on whomevers blown motor it is

Last edited by FrankTank; 08-06-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:31 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by palindrome1H
I think you are right on. GM knows it is an issue. Could you imagine a recall on all LS7 motors? It would cripple service departments. Just fixem as they break. By not revising the LS7 for 2013 they don't admit to it being a fault or weak point. Plus no one has been killed from their LS7 giving out and hopefully never.
Why would they continue to manufacture an engine that they "know" has an issue?
Old 08-06-2012, 04:01 PM
Drewstein
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Why would they continue to manufacture an engine that they "know" has an issue?
Because it costs less to make the consumer pay for it.

There are several documented cases of companies not issuing a recall unless they determined an increased cost to them.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:45 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Because it costs less to make the consumer pay for it.

There are several documented cases of companies not issuing a recall unless they determined an increased cost to them.
And it cost them way more in penalties (which where just doubled by congress thanks to Toyotas slow response).

It is not GMs choice on doing a recall. This is under the jusidiction of the NHTSA.

It is not possible to build 28,000 motors for 8 years - that need a recall and doesn't get one.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:49 PM
RamAir972003
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankTank
Your the blind one, other shops have posted up about it, LG and Livernois as well, in addition to Richierich Z06. And Katech has in fact posted an entire thread about it...missed that one didn't you.. yea ok I am blind.. GMAFB

I am not debating a fix with you...if you were not so blind , you would have read where I stated I was not disagreeing on that point.

I am not going to stoop to the personal attacks, and trying to judge people off a few posts. You have 0 idea of my knowledge of motors. Nice try.

I find it funny how those who think there is a widespread problem can say they are being "blunt"... yet when those of us who are still wanting more information and answers , and are not yet convinced speak up, it's an attack on whomevers blown motor it is
Nicely said
I felt the same way when I made the thread for just build dates i got attacked by cavemen.

Get notified of new replies

To Drop Valve

Old 08-06-2012, 05:06 PM
chadyellowz06
Instructor

Originally Posted by jimman
They do have a dog in the fight reworking heads and ref the K statement yes they have made a statement on this problem and outlined some issues with using heavier exhaust valves.
Kateck does not do head work they do not rework heads..they use WCCH call richard and ask him..richard will tell you straight up get those exhaust valves out of the car..yes katech says use the stock valves....well stock valves failing one after another over and over again..hmm I'm using ss valves in my heads ...in fact the z06 is the only car i've ever owned with hollow exhaust valves and i've had many 9 sec cars...never dropped a valve not once..
Old 08-06-2012, 06:31 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

2. A real set of springs
4. ARP rocker studs

The problem is nobody knows whether that will solve the problem. Or will it drop the head of an exhuast valve like other engines have done after 40 track days and 4K miles of Wide Open Throttle driving and 20K street miles.

Of the half dozen you have seen how many have been on the road long enough for the problem to show its ugly head again?

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 08-06-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:37 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Originally Posted by Black96WS6
It just sucks that you, and others that have experienced failures, have to deal with this...

When paying this much money for a car, you expect it to be decent quality.

I've always went with GM cars (Vettes\FBodies) as my main car because say what you will about the interiors, their engines\trannies have always been rock solid for the most part.

Evan I hope GM does the right thing here and:

1. Is investigating this because there's clearly an issue
2. Doesn't sweep it under the rug because it's not going away and seems to affect all years
3. Steps up and helps this guy out by replacing his engine or only charging him labor...
A substantial number of the failed engines have been replaced under warranty. Seven of the eight I personally know about were replaced under warranty and the other one the guy didn't ask and just replaced the head that got damaged as the piston didn't get damaged enough to warrant replacement of the piston/rod.

Bill

Quick Reply: [Z06] Drop Valve